PDA

View Full Version : Free Agents: predict where they'll sign

JamStone
11-05-2010, 01:16 PM
I'll throw out some of the big name free agents. I'd expect guys like Jeter and Rivera to stay with the Yankees, no matter how messy negotiations get so i didn't include their names. Guess the teams each free agent will sign with.

1. Cliff Lee - Yankees
2. Carl Crawford - Angels
3. Jayson Werth - Tigers (wouldn't mind it but wouldn't be all that happy about it either)
4. Adrian Beltre - Dodgers (I think he wants to go back to the East Coast)
5. Rafael Soriano - Angels (not really sure though)
6. Victor Martinez - Tigers (I pray it's not a 5 year deal though)
7. Adam Dunn - White Sox (Cubs rumored to be out of it but who knows?)
8. Carlos Pena - Rangers (I think at a relatively bargain price too)
9. Jorge de la Rosa - Rangers (if they lose Lee)
10. Brandon Webb - Red Sox

stretch
11-05-2010, 01:44 PM
1. Cliff Lee - Rangers
2. Carl Crawford - Yankees
3. Jayson Werth - Yankees
4. Adrian Beltre - Yankees
5. Rafael Soriano - Yankees
6. Victor Martinez - Yankees
7. Adam Dunn - Yankees
8. Carlos Pena - Yankees
9. Jorge de la Rosa - Yankees
10. Brandon Webb - Yankees

BUMP
11-05-2010, 02:24 PM
I have no idea who wants who or anything, other than Lee I don't have a clue so I'll be lucky to get 3 of these right.

1. Cliff Lee - Rangers
2. Carl Crawford - Red Sox
4. Adrian Beltre - Angels
5. Rafael Soriano - Angels (need a closer)
6. Victor Martinez - Tigers
7. Adam Dunn - Rangers
8. Carlos Pena - Mets
9. Jorge de la Rosa - Brewers?? (have no idea who he is lol)

Jose Canseco
11-05-2010, 02:53 PM
1. Cliff Lee - Rangers
2. Carl Crawford - Yankees
4. Adrian Beltre - Yankees
6. Victor Martinez - Yankees
7. Adam Dunn - Yankees
8. Carlos Pena - Yankees
9. Jorge de la Rosa - Yankees

I think you're exaggerating a little bit. I don't think the Yankees will go after Pena since they already have Teixeira. Other than that, you might be right.

Chris
11-05-2010, 03:47 PM
I've seen rumours that the Rangers are interested in John Buck, a catcher for the Blue Jays since Bengie is retiring and Teagarden isn't really ready to start. Crawford according to Yankees fans is a shoe in at New York. I'm petty sure Ryan is willing to match any kind of offer Lee might be getting from any club in the MLB so I'm pretty sure he'll stay with Texas. I also see Vlad coming back as well with a different contract.

ducks
11-05-2010, 06:27 PM
webb is not going to the yankees
he would not be able to handle the pressure of not pitching

lee will resign with rangers

every player is a shoe in to new york according to fans because they think new york will offer the most

yankees need atleast 2 new starters for pitchers
they also need someone to get ready to talk the closer role later in case they closer is hurt

you can say they will just trade for one well the yankees thought they could just trade for a pitcher and it did not work
(lee)

symple19
11-06-2010, 08:56 AM
they also need someone to get ready to talk the closer role later in case they closer is hurt

:rollin

AFBlue
11-06-2010, 03:41 PM
1. Cliff Lee - Rangers
2. Carl Crawford - Astros
3. Jayson Werth - Tigers
4. Adrian Beltre - Angels
6. Victor Martinez - Red Sox
7. Adam Dunn - Cubs
8. Carlos Pena - Rays
9. Jorge de la Rosa - Rockies
10. Brandon Webb - Nationals

JMarkJohns
11-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Webb will go to the Cardinals as a reclamation project. Their pitching coach always makes good with players like this. His a midwest guy, and I don't see him wanting to put up with all the attention that comes with expectations of pitching on the East Coast.

99-03-05-07
11-07-2010, 01:18 PM
the giants will pick up carl crawford

crc21209
11-08-2010, 12:35 AM
1. Cliff Lee - Rangers
2. Carl Crawford - Red Sox
3. Jayson Werth - Angels
4. Adrian Beltre - Tigers
5. Rafael Soriano - Angels
6. Victor Martinez - Red Sox
7. Adam Dunn - White Sox
8. Carlos Pena - Mets
9. Jorge de la Rosa - Take your pick :lol
10. Brandon Webb - Nationals

Brodels
11-12-2010, 08:11 PM
2. Carl Crawford - Astros

Really?

Perhaps, but I can't imagine him going there to not close. It's true that Mo is going to retire someday, but Soriano is no spring chicken. He'll be looking to close.

AFBlue
11-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Brodels,

Why don't you sack up and make a list of your own, instead of dicking on mine.

About Crawford, I'd probably put money on him to the Angels, but I thought I'd get creative since this was just a message board post.

You make a good point with Soriano, though.

Brodels
11-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Brodels,

Why don't you sack up and make a list of your own, instead of dicking on mine.

About Crawford, I'd probably put money on him to the Angels, but I thought I'd get creative since this was just a message board post.

You make a good point with Soriano, though.

1. Cliff Lee - Kansas City
2. Carl Crawford - Pittsburgh
3. Jayson Werth - Milwaukee
4. Adrian Beltre - Tampa Bay
5. Rafael Soriano - Arizona
6. Victor Martinez - Minnesota
7. Adam Dunn - San Diego
8. Carlos Pena - Japan
9. Jorge de la Rosa - Scranton Wilkes-Barre
10. Brandon Webb - Montreal

ducks
11-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Rafael Soriano should be the closer for the yankees
they need to move on
their closer is 42 IMO

monosylab1k
11-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Rafael Soriano should be the closer for the yankees
they need to move on
their closer is 42 IMO

lol WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK???!?!?!?!?

yavozerb
11-16-2010, 12:03 PM
LEE- Yankees
Crawford- Angels
Werth-Red Sox
Beltre- Angels
Soriano-Angels
Martinez- Tigers
Dunn- White Sox
Pena- Rays
De la Rosa- Rangers
Webb- Tigers

I also expect the Rangers to try and get Grienke this offseason..I would prefer Delarosa and Grienke over Lee..

TheNextGen
11-20-2010, 01:51 AM
LEE- Yankees
Crawford- Angels
Werth-Red Sox
Beltre- Angels
Soriano-Angels
Martinez- Tigers
Dunn- White Sox
Pena- Rays
De la Rosa- Rangers
Webb- Tigers

I also expect the Rangers to try and get Grienke this offseason..I would prefer Delarosa and Grienke over Lee..

damn you think the Angels gonna sign all those players.

yavozerb
11-22-2010, 11:56 AM
damn you think the Angels gonna sign all those players.

I do...They have the cash and the owner who does mind spending it. Angels watching the Rangers in the W.S didnt help and also the fact the Rangers are a young and upcoming team. Angels need to make a statement this offseason.

JamStone
11-22-2010, 07:44 PM
You're talking about adding $40 million, maybe up to $50 million, a year in longterm contracts. The Angels will spend money up to a point. With the arbitration eligible guys they're likely to bring back (Morales, Weaver, Aybar, Kendrick), their payroll will already be well over $100 million. The Angels haven't gone over around $120 million before. You're talking about them jumping into the $140-150 million payroll range if they add those three high level free agents. I don't know if Moreno will be willing to spend that much.

TheMACHINE
11-22-2010, 08:51 PM
You're talking about adding $40 million, maybe up to $50 million, a year in longterm contracts. The Angels will spend money up to a point. With the arbitration eligible guys they're likely to bring back (Morales, Weaver, Aybar, Kendrick), their payroll will already be well over $100 million. The Angels haven't gone over around $120 million before. You're talking about them jumping into the $140-150 million payroll range if they add those three high level free agents. I don't know if Moreno will be willing to spend that much.

i think Moreno will get 1, maybe 2....but definately not 3.

yavozerb
11-23-2010, 09:58 AM

Crawford = 15-20 mil
Beltre= 10-15 mil
Soriano= 8-10 mil

I really do think these 3 players can be had for less than 40 mil. with the high being around 45 mil for all 3. They have matsui and shields totaling about 12 mil in expiring contracts so if Moreno is willing to spend up to 125-130 mil I think its possible. Well see, I really hope I am wrong about my predictions since I would rather see them get no one and stay a step behind my Rangers..

JamStone
11-23-2010, 11:02 AM
The current Angels' payroll is at just under $94 million. And that's with both Matsui and Shields already off the books.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tWBCtH8eoSECZxhX-dRCHIw&output=html

That $94 million does NOT include 4 key players who are up for arbitration who the Angels will likely keep: Morales, Weaver, Aybar, Kendrick. Last year, those 4 players made the following salaries:

Morales: $1.2 million
Weaver: $4.3 million
Aybar: $2.0 million
Kendrick: $1.75 million

That's a total of $9.25 million. Now let's be extremely conservative and say none of them break the bank with a major raise, which is highly unlikely. But lets say that $9.25 million becomes $15 million next season after they work on extensions or settle in arbitration. That's being extremely generous as they'd probably combine for something closer to $20-25 million next season. So now you're talking about a payroll at $109 million before signing any free agent.

I'm almost positive some team is going to offer Carl Crawford close to if not at or more than $20 million a year. He's considered the best position player free agent this winter. He's going to cash in. You can guarantee that. News reports from Boston have already talked about the baseline for the Beltre negotiations start at $60 million for 4 years. That's $15 million per. $10 million is a pipe dream even if he's not worth that. I'll split the difference with you though in good faith and say he can be had for $12.5 million a year. I'll even give you Soriano can be had for as cheap as $8 million. That's not unreasonable

That's $40.5 million.

Plus the estimated $109 million already on the payroll. That's $149.5 million, using about as conservative an estimate as you can. Last year, the Angels had $121 million in salaries. You're talking about adding $30 million (and in reality probably much more than $30 million) in payroll. That's asking a lot.

JamStone
11-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Per ESPN, first one on the list to be signed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5842176

Free-agent catcher Victor Martinez is bolting the Boston Red Sox to sign with the Detroit Tigers, according to multiple media reports on Tuesday.

Two weeks ago, Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein expressed his strong interest in re-signing Martinez and third baseman Adrian Beltre. But he acknowledged competition for the players.

"It always comes down," Epstein said, "to dollars and years."

Martinez will receive a four-year deal for $50 million, according to Venezuelan reporter Ignacio Serrano of El Nacional, who first reported the agreement. Martinez made $7.7 million last season.

The Red Sox offered Martinez a choice of a three-year, $36 million deal or a four-year contract for $42 million, according to a major league source. The source said the Red Sox had not been informed of Martinez's decision, but the team was not surprised to hear that he would play elsewhere.

The Orioles and White Sox were also outbid, according to the El Nacional report.

Assuming the Red Sox offer Martinez arbitration, they will receive two draft picks for their Type-A free agent signing elsewhere.

Martinez is a lifetime .300 switch hitter who batted .302 with 20 homers and 79 RBIs in his second season with the Red Sox. Boston had acquired him in July 2009 from the Cleveland Indians for Justin Masterson and minor leaguers Bryan Price and Nick Hagadone.

The 31-year-old Martinez is a four-time All-Star who also plays first base.

monosylab1k
11-23-2010, 01:01 PM
rumors in Dallas are that the Rangers are looking to keep Cliff Lee and trade for Zack Greinke. Originally Greinke was just a backup plan in case they lost Lee, but I guess the new ownership is looking to make an even bigger splash.

TheMACHINE
11-23-2010, 04:03 PM
looks like a few of you got the tigers right. hope you also got the Crawford ones right too. lol

ducks
11-23-2010, 09:58 PM
lee wants 7 years

yankees offered 6 years 140 million

yavozerb
11-23-2010, 10:38 PM
lee wants 7 years

yankees offered 6 years 140 million

Wow, thats alot of years for a 32 year old arm with alot of mileage...I hope the Rangers do not try and outbid the yanks.

Mel_13
11-24-2010, 06:27 PM
http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2010/11/24/covers/back112410.jpg

JamStone
12-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Dunn to White Sox. 4 years, $56 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5875860

1. Cliff Lee - Yankees
2. Carl Crawford - Angels
3. Jayson Werth - Tigers (wouldn't mind it but wouldn't be all that happy about it either)
4. Adrian Beltre - Dodgers (I think he wants to go back to the East Coast)
5. Rafael Soriano - Angels (not really sure though)
6. Victor Martinez - Tigers (I pray it's not a 5 year deal though)
7. Adam Dunn - White Sox (Cubs rumored to be out of it but who knows?)
8. Carlos Pena - Rangers (I think at a relatively bargain price too)
9. Jorge de la Rosa - Rangers (if they lose Lee)
10. Brandon Webb - Red Sox

I'm 2 for 3 so far.

yavozerb
12-02-2010, 07:30 PM
LEE- Yankees
Crawford- Angels
Werth-Red Sox
Beltre- Angels
Soriano-Angels
Martinez- Tigers
Dunn- White Sox
Pena- Rays
De la Rosa- Rangers
Webb- Tigers

Dunn to White Sox. 4 years, $56 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5875860

I'm 2 for 3 so far.

I'm also 2 for 3, but the tougher FA's are still to come. Should know by next week on most.

TheMACHINE
12-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Please be right about Crawford, Jams!!

yavozerb
12-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Wow, werth to the Nationals...Guess even the Nationals are getting there share of Obama stimulus...

JamStone
12-05-2010, 06:30 PM
7 years, $126 million

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5888329

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Right fielder Jayson Werth agreed Sunday to a $126 million, seven-year contract with the Washington Nationals, a huge deal announced even before the winter meetings officially began.

The 31-year-old, who helped the Phillies win the 2008 World Series title, hit .296 this year in his fourth and final season with the Phillies. He had an NL-high 46 doubles, 27 homers and 85 RBIs.

"It kind of exemplifies phase two of the Washington Nationals' process," general manager Mike Rizzo said. "Phase one was scouting and player development, building the farm system. ... Now it's the time to go to the second phase and really compete for division titles and championships."

Werth moves from the team that has won four straight NL East titles to one that finished last this year at 69-93 and hasn't had a winning record since 2003 -- the franchise's next-to-last season as the Montreal Expos.

His agreement was announced two days after the Nationals' cleanup hitter, Adam Dunn, left for a $56 million, four-year contract with the Chicago White Sox.

Werth's deal was negotiated by agent Scott Boras, who also negotiated big-money agreements with the Nationals for the last two No. 1 picks in the amateur draft, pitcher Stephen Strasburg in 2009 and catcher-outfielder Bryce Harper this year.

"We think he's going to be a big piece of the puzzle," Rizzo said. "We certainly have more holes to fill. We had more work to do, and we're certainly aggressively going on from here and beyond."

Boras said talks began just before Thanksgiving when Nationals owners Ted Lerner and Mark Lerner met with Werth at Boras' office in Newport Beach, Calif. The sides reached a preliminary agreement Friday.

Werth played for Toronto (2002-03) and the Los Angeles Dodgers (2004-05) before becoming an All-Star with the Phillies in 2009.

"For Jayson this was a decision where he certainly wanted to know that this was a place that was not only going to take every step possible to sign young players in the draft, as they've exhibited, but also take steps a core system in the minor leagues and also take further steps and advance in the free-agent process so that he could be surrounded by quality major leaguers in addition to those already present in the Nationals organization," Boras said.

Nationals manager Jim Riggleman, who didn't know the deal had been finalized until just before it was announced. was the Dodgers bench coach while Werth played for Los Angeles.

"We got the inside scoop on who the man is and who the person is," Rizzo said. "Jim is a great judge of character and clubhouse presence. He was very flowery in his praise in Jayson on and off the field. He feels, like I feel, Jayson's best days haven't been had yet."

Werth is the grandson of Ducky Schofield and nephew of Dick Schofield, a minor league teammate of Rizzo. In addition, Rizzo has scouted Werth since he played high-school ball.

"I've been a fan of his lineage and his family," Rizzo said.

Rip-Hamilton32
12-06-2010, 12:51 AM
wow are you kidding me 126 million for a 31 year old whos not even that good

The Gemini Method
12-06-2010, 02:57 AM
So much for the MLB Network saying only Lee would be a 100-million dollar man...

Adrian Gonzales...did that go through(

crc21209
12-06-2010, 03:52 AM
Updated: December 6, 2010, 2:33 AM ET

Source: Adrian Gonzalez to Red Sox

The Boston Red Sox have scheduled a news conference for 11 a.m. ET on Monday to announce they have completed a deal with the San Diego Padres for All-Star first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, a baseball source said. But it will happen without a long-term deal for Gonzalez, after talks broke off Sunday with no agreement in place.

The source said that the two sides have left open the possibility of continued discussions toward a long-term deal for Gonzalez after the trade is in place.

A source said that while Gonzalez is seeking a contract in the range of Mark Teixeira's eight-year, $180 million deal with the New York Yankees, the Red Sox have been holding the line at six years and $120 million. The Red Sox, multiple sources told ESPNBoston.com's Gordon Edes, also were looking for language in the contract to protect them in case Gonzalez had problems with his surgically repaired right shoulder, much like they did with J.D. Drew.

The Red Sox negotiated intensely with Gonzalez's agent, John Boggs, during a 48-hour stretch before the talks finally broke off Sunday. But both sides were satisfied that there was enough common ground for a deal to be struck, with one baseball source suggesting to ESPNBoston.com that eventually a compromise in the seven-year, $22 million range might get the deal done. The Red Sox might actually benefit from a luxury-tax standpoint by holding off on the deal until after Opening Day, when it won't count against the team's payroll for tax purposes.

In exchange, the Padres will receive three prospects in pitcher Casey Kelly, first baseman Anthony Rizzo and outfielder Reymond Fuentes, according to a baseball source. The Padres also will receive a player to be named later, a source told ESPNBoston.com's Gordon Edes.

Padres general manager Jed Hoyer -- who used to work in Boston's front office -- has said for some time that the Padres wouldn't be able to afford the kind of big-money contract Gonzalez would command if he hit the free-agent market.

The Padres recently exercised Gonzalez's $6.2 million option for 2011, the final year of a team-friendly $15 million, five-year contract he signed in 2007.

Gonzalez's name was in the mix for the Red Sox for more than a year. The Padres' front office is very familiar with Boston's prospects, as Hoyer, assistant general manager Jason McLeod and new top executive Josh Byrnes all once worked for Boston.

Gonzalez was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2000 draft and has spent the past five years in San Diego, his hometown. He has had at least 30 home runs and 99 RBIs in each of the past four seasons.

The left-hander hit .298 with 31 homers and 101 RBIs last season.

In five seasons with San Diego, Gonzalez has 161 homers -- two shy of Nate Colbert's club record -- and 501 RBIs. Including parts of two seasons with Texas, he has 168 homers and 525 RBIs.

He set a Padres record with his fourth 30-homer season. His third 100-RBI season tied Phil Nevin for the most in club history.

Gonzalez had surgery to clean up the labrum in his nonthrowing right shoulder on Oct. 20. The Padres said then that the three-time All-Star and two-time Gold Glove first baseman was expected to be ready for spring training.

The Padres went 90-72 despite opening the season with a payroll of $37.8 million, second-lowest in the majors. San Diego was in contention until the final day, when its loss at San Francisco, coupled with Atlanta's win over Philadelphia, eliminated the Padres from the NL West and wild-card races.

The Padres have said they anticipate a payroll of about $40 million.

Jerry Crasnick is a senior writer for ESPN.com. Information from ESPN.com's Jayson Stark and The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5887824

JamStone
12-06-2010, 10:35 AM
So much for the MLB Network saying only Lee would be a 100-million dollar man...

Adrian Gonzales...did that go through(

I fully expect the Werth signing to mean that Crawford will get an 8 year deal somewhere in the neighborhood of $150 million. And whichever team does give that deal will probably regret it a few years down the line even though I expect Crawford to be extremely productive the first few seasons of the contract.

djohn2oo8
12-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Please be right about Crawford, Jams!!

Lol at the sig, i will take the lambo FTW

The Gemini Method
12-06-2010, 11:42 AM
I fully expect the Werth signing to mean that Crawford will get an 8 year deal somewhere in the neighborhood of $150 million. And whichever team does give that deal will probably regret it a few years down the line even though I expect Crawford to be extremely productive the first few seasons of the contract.

Do you still think, now that the market price has been sent higher into the stratosphere, that the Angels will still make a move on Crawford? I kinda see that happening to all three of these players, but that isn't really a stretch. The decline would probably be more noticeable on a Crawford than say, Gonzalez...but you cannot discount Werth losing the recent gains he has had in the past 6 years.

It's a shame I won't be able to catch Gonzo @ Petco Park this year on our annual baseball trip to SD...that is one amazing ballpark though.

JamStone
12-06-2010, 12:06 PM
I really think the Angels will go after Crawford hard. Whether they'll offer a big enough contract, I have no idea. Crawford will still be productive through much of his contract, but I don't know if I would consider him a $20 million caliber player even now in his prime, forget about 7-8 years from now. He's a borderline .300 hitter and his OBP isn't that exceptional to offset the fact that he's not a power bat. His greatest asset is obviously his speed. But is a great base stealer and a very good outfielder with range worth $20 million a year? I don't know. But he is the best position player available so that counts for something I guess.

No way in hell is Werth "worth" his contract. He's not a $18 million per year player. Why didn't the Nationals just pay Adam Dunn? They're the same age I believe and Dunn is guaranteed to hit more home runs and drive in more runs. Werth has never been a .300 hitter, never drove in 100 RBIs, and his production the last couple years is partly skewed by that bandbox stadium in Philly and the line-up around him. He is a very good rightfielder defensively, but that's still a lot of money for a one time all star who is good but not great.

Out of those three, Adrian Gonzalez is easily worth the biggest contract for the most years. Legitimate 35 HR/100 RBI guys are rare in the MLB. Adrian (still 28 years old) is a legit 35/100 guy, younger than both Crawford and Werth. And he plays great defense too at a position where his defense won't regress over the years nearly as much as an outfielder. Of the three, I think Adrian has the best chance of coming close to living up to his salary in the last couple years of his contract (whether it ends up being 7 or 8 years long).

The Gemini Method
12-06-2010, 12:53 PM
I really think the Angels will go after Crawford hard. Whether they'll offer a big enough contract, I have no idea. Crawford will still be productive through much of his contract, but I don't know if I would consider him a $20 million caliber player even now in his prime, forget about 7-8 years from now. He's a borderline .300 hitter and his OBP isn't that exceptional to offset the fact that he's not a power bat. His greatest asset is obviously his speed. But is a great base stealer and a very good outfielder with range worth $20 million a year? I don't know. But he is the best position player available so that counts for something I guess.

No way in hell is Werth "worth" his contract. He's not a $18 million per year player. Why didn't the Nationals just pay Adam Dunn? They're the same age I believe and Dunn is guaranteed to hit more home runs and drive in more runs. Werth has never been a .300 hitter, never drove in 100 RBIs, and his production the last couple years is partly skewed by that bandbox stadium in Philly and the line-up around him. He is a very good rightfielder defensively, but that's still a lot of money for a one time all star who is good but not great.

Out of those three, Adrian Gonzalez is easily worth the biggest contract for the most years. Legitimate 35 HR/100 RBI guys are rare in the MLB. Adrian (still 28 years old) is a legit 35/100 guy, younger than both Crawford and Werth. And he plays great defense too at a position where his defense won't regress over the years nearly as much as an outfielder. Of the three, I think Adrian has the best chance of coming close to living up to his salary in the last couple years of his contract (whether it ends up being 7 or 8 years long).

Defintely educated me on this current situation...

Don't really follow baseball, but I'm trying to understand it a little more. I would definitely agree that Adrian will probably end up being worth the contract. I don't know if Moreno will shell out that kind of money, but perhaps it will be better that he doesnt.

LnGrrrR
12-06-2010, 08:27 PM
lol WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK???!?!?!?!?

:downspin::rollin

ducks
12-06-2010, 11:31 PM
dunn sucks in the field

EricB
12-07-2010, 01:57 AM
De la Rosa resigned with the Rockies a while back

ducks
12-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Ken_Rosenthal: The #Angels: Sign Lee, trade Weaver? http://tinyurl.com/29s58vo #Rangers #MLB [via Twitter]
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Big-League-Stew-s-Winter-Meetings-Tracker-Tues;_ylt=AmV5aGqrWQjsFyNZNf9cSEcRvLYF?urn=mlb-292599

ducks
12-07-2010, 11:47 PM
jcrasnick: The Angels jumped into the Cliff Lee race Tuesday, when the team reached out to Lee's representatives. Uncertain if they've made an offer.

crc21209
12-08-2010, 12:53 AM
Red Sox Considering Carlos Beltran?
By Tim Dierkes [December 7 at 12:20pm CST]

The Red Sox are "at least talking internally" about a Carlos Beltran trade with the Mets, reports ESPN's Adam Rubin. There is no potential deal at this point. The Sox consider Beltran a secondary option if other outfield alternatives fall apart, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post. Beltran is set to earn $18.5MM in 2011, the last year of his seven-year deal, and he cannot be offered arbitration when the season ends.

crc21209
12-08-2010, 12:54 AM
Carl Crawford Rumors: Tuesday
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 7 at 3:34pm CST]

We heard yesterday that the Angels and Tigers are still in on Carl Crawford. GM Tony Reagins said the Jayson Werth deal doesn't affect the way the Angels approach the rest of their offseason, but it wouldn't be surprising if Crawford's camp has nudged its asking price up a little since Sunday. Here's the latest on Crawford, with more updates to follow throughout the day:

* Sources tell Alex Speier of WEEI.com that it's premature to rule the Red Sox out of the Crawford sweepstakes, which could take some time to develop.
* Not surprisingly, the Angels haven't ruled out a high-profile addition, manager Mike Scioscia tells Yahoo's Steve Henson (Twitter link).

crc21209
12-08-2010, 12:57 AM
Vladdy's main suitors: rangers, athletics, orioles
about 1 hour ago via web

multiple teams coming out of woodwork for cliff lee today. hard to see a resolution here this week for superstar pitcher.
about 1 hour ago via Twitter for iPhone

even though lee has two 7-year offers, he still could consider a strong 6-year bid, depending on total $ and franchise
about 6 hours ago via web

http://twitter.com/si_jonheyman

Jose Canseco
12-08-2010, 11:22 AM
per espn.com Paul Konerko re-signs with White Sox for 3 years, $37.5 million.

Fair deal for both sides. Konerko probably worth more. Now, who is the primary DH? Dunn or Konerko? That's a lot of power in the middle of the line-up, especially when you also got Carlos Quentin and Alex Rios in the mix as well.

ducks
12-08-2010, 11:56 PM
SI_JonHeyman: Red sox sign crawford, 142 Mil for 7

crc21209
12-09-2010, 12:27 AM
SI_JonHeyman: Red sox sign crawford, 142 Mil for 7

Hell yeah I got this one right...:tu

ducks
12-09-2010, 12:31 AM
SI_JonHeyman: meanwhile, pettitte told #yankees he can still pitch but isnt sure he can still do work necessary to do so. groin injury weakened him

ducks
12-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Twitter
mlbtraderumors:
Rangers expect to know by tonight if they'll be able to sign Cliff Lee, according to MLB.com. Update here: http://bit.ly/f5aGDm [via Twitter]

crc21209
12-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Twitter
mlbtraderumors:
Rangers expect to know by tonight if they'll be able to sign Cliff Lee, according to MLB.com. Update here: http://bit.ly/f5aGDm [via Twitter]

Oh boy....

ducks
12-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Rangers make offer to Lee
By STEPHEN HAWKINS, AP Sports Writer
1 hour, 38 minutes ago

Printable View
Return to Original ShareretweetEmailPrintARLINGTON, Texas (AP)—Texas Rangers owner Chuck Greenberg traveled to Arkansas on Thursday and presented Cliff Lee(notes) with an offer in an attempt to persuade the prized pitcher to remain with the team he helped reach the World Series.

Greenberg, Rangers assistant general manager Thad Levine and co-chairman Ray Davis, a pipeline billionaire, met with Lee, the pitcher’s wife and agent Darek Braunecker at the agent’s office.

“We made an offer with substantial additional commitments in years and dollars,” Greenberg said. “It was a very constructive conversation.”

Before Thursday, the Rangers had asked Lee to tell them what it would take to for him to stay in Texas, which acquired from Seattle in July.

The New York Yankees added a year to their offer earlier in the day, proposing a seven-year contract for the 2008 AL Cy Young Award winner. On Wednesday, the Yankees had offered a six-year deal worth $137.5 million to $140 million.

Then the Boston Red Sox agreed Wednesday night to a $142 million, seven-year contract with All-Star outfielder Carl Crawford(notes). Greenberg said that deal changed the free-agent market dynamics and prompted the trip to Arkansas.

“A very positive discussion,” Greenberg said. “We reiterated our strong desire for him to remain a Ranger.”

Greenberg, whose group bought the team from Tom Hicks in August, said the Rangers weren’t given a timetable for Lee’s decision.

“We’d rather it be sooner than later,” the owner said, “but they have an enormous decision to make.”

ducks
12-11-2010, 11:03 AM
There was not much movement on the Cliff Lee front yesterday, but the free agent lefty could agree to a contract at any moment. Here are today's batch of rumors, with the latest news featured at the top throughout the day...

* SI.com's Jon Heyman reports that the Rangers originally offered five years and $100MM, but they added a sixth guaranteed year and what is believed to be "some form of option that could turn the new deal into a seven-year contract" when they last visited Lee in Arkansas.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/cliff-lee-rumors-saturday.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

StylisticS
12-12-2010, 08:19 PM
http://www.faketeams.com/2010/12/12/1870527/mlb-trade-rumors-cliff-lee-to-the-rangers

What jumped out as soon as I clicked and read the link was a tweet from Jack Curry from Yes Network:

People who have spoken to Yankee officials said they have expressed a bit of skepticism about signing Lee.

ducks
12-13-2010, 12:03 AM
if he wanted to be a yankee bad he already would have been one

crc21209
12-13-2010, 03:01 AM
He just needs to hurry it up and announce where he's signing...get it done already.

Jose Canseco
12-13-2010, 09:05 AM
if he wanted to be a yankee bad he already would have been one

Agreed. But at the same time, if the Rangers already offered the sixth year, you'd think he'd already be a Ranger by now. Cat is definitely taking his old sweet time makin the decision.

Rosenthal tweeted that the "no tax" factor in Texas isn't nearly the factor some think because Cliff Lee would be residing in Arkansas and Yankees/NY endorsement dollars could easily offset the difference anyway.

http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/14309227786928128

ducks
12-13-2010, 06:46 PM
* Lee has yet to make a decision, Yankees GM Brian Cashman told Tyler Kepner of the New York Times (on Twitter). "He'll make [a decision] someday," Cashman said.
* There are still rumblings about a third team, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (on Twitter). The mystery team's offer appears to be significantly lower than the Yankees' proposal, but it's from a place Lee "loves."
* Joel Sherman of the New York Post writes, "You would be surprised at how many folks [in the game] think there is a legitimate third team bidding on Lee beyond the Yankees and Rangers." Sherman speculates on who that team might be. Less than a third of you believe such a club exists.
* Lee's agent Darek Braunecker has been in touch with the Yankees today, tweets ESPN's Buster Olney, and he said the process is ongoing.
* The unidentified third team is only willing to go four or five years, writes George A. King III of the New York Post.

crc21209
12-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Report: Lee's Mystery Suitor Could Be Phillies

Dec 13, 2010 5:18 PM EST

Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports that free-agent Cliff Lee's mystery suitor may be the Phillies.

"So there I was," Stark wrote, "running through all the possibilities with one executive -- Angels, Nationals, White Sox, Cardinals, Cubs -- when the Phillies came up." The executive replied to Stark's idea, "To be honest, they're my No. 1 suspect."

Any interest by Philadelphia hasn't been confirmed by the Phillies or even a source close to the team's thinking.

Lee was open to an extension with the team last winter before being traded to Seattle.

http://www.realgmbaseball.com/src_wiretap_archives/22847/20101213/report_lees_mystery_suitor_could_be_phillies/#ixzz182fqpSMz

ducks
12-13-2010, 09:10 PM
maybe lee is holding out hoping phillies offer a 6 year

ace3g
12-14-2010, 12:14 AM
Lee going back to the Phillies

crc21209
12-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Well no one got that prediction right in this thread...:lol

ducks
12-14-2010, 12:40 AM
Additionally, Lee is the first major free agent in recent memory to be targeted by the Yankees and to ultimately reject them. The Yankee dollar generally does not take no for an answer. This, only months after the Rangers outbid the Yankees for Lee at the trading deadline.

crc21209
12-14-2010, 12:45 AM
Additionally, Lee is the first major free agent in recent memory to be targeted by the Yankees and to ultimately reject them. The Yankee dollar generally does not take no for an answer. This, only months after the Rangers outbid the Yankees for Lee at the trading deadline.

Fuck the Yankees! Missing out on their plans A and B in Lee and Crawford! :lol

ducks
12-15-2010, 01:20 AM
The Rangers, though, weren't willing to go seven years guaranteed for Lee, who would have been 39 by the time that contract expired. Greenberg said this was not a case of a free-agent pitcher avoiding the Rangers because of hitter-friendly Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.

"In this instance, it was simply a matter of us saying yes," Greenberg said. "But it would have been us saying yes on terms we weren't comfortable with. This wasn't about Cliff not coming to Texas. He was willing to remain a Ranger, but it was on terms we felt went beyond the aggressive parameters we were operating under. Had we been willing to go beyond the parameters we were willing to go, he'd be here. We needed to act aggressively, but responsibly and we did so."

Texas will be compensated with two draft choices next summer since Lee is signing with another team after being offered salary arbitration.

"I'm just excited that the Rangers gave everything they had to try and make it happen," Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton said. "I think one of the factors in his decision was knowing the staff that he would be going to and joining in, and how good and dominant they possibly could be. ... We hate to lose him, but I think we'll be all right."

so he would have went to texas for 7 years guaranteed but would go to the phillies for less

it was always about the money for lee
FUCK LEE
more money per year was phillies offer then any of the deals on the table