PDA

View Full Version : Two Ways to View WCF Game 1

SPARKY
05-23-2005, 06:50 AM
Spurs took the Suns best shot, cut it in half and then doubled it. They beat the Suns at their own game. The Spurs showed that they have the talent to play the Suns' game and thrive in it. They put up 121 points on the board while missing 10 FTs. :wow The Suns' porous defense was exposed again and again by the methodical (and surprisingly athletic) Spurs' offense. TP and Manu were free to drive at will. Duncan wasn't even at 80%. Pop outcoached the 'Coach of the Year'. The Spurs have HCA now and they've only lost 3 games all year at the Eastside barn. The Spurs transition D limited the Suns' ability to convert breaks into points. This will likely be a short series and then the Spurs will move on to a real challenge...

or

Spurs played well above their heads on Sunday afternoon. The Big 3 clicked all at once. Billion Barry was actually useful. The Spurs' D was somewhat questionable, considering that they gave up 114 points including 70 between Nash and Stoudemire. They gave up a bunch of great looks to the league's most prolific 3 point shooting team. Duncan is still limited to about 80% effectiveness. Phoenix was coming off an grueling overtime win to close out their 2nd round series and had limited rest. The Suns will have some chances to rest up with the 3 day break between Games 2 & 3. They'll have Joe Johnson back soon. The tone of this series is now one of who will outscore whom. Phoenix thrives in that type of game and with a few slight adjustments can take advantage of the opportunities the Spurs' D will allow, such as the midrange J.

SPARKY
05-23-2005, 07:06 AM
While I am inclined to agree with the first view, I expect that the Suns will come back with a vengeance tomorrow night. Their backs will be up against the wall. Should the Suns win Game 2 they would be back in this series. They would have 3 days off to rest up as the series moved to SA. They'd have a little momentum. They should have Joe Johnson back which would give them some sorely needed depth. I can think of no worse situation for the Spurs than to have 3 days doing nothing while at home. Despite this team's stellar home court record this season they do seem to have the tendency to relax a bit much while at home. Also, they've already been beaten at home this postseason.

TMSKILZ
05-23-2005, 08:40 AM
Sparky I tend to agree with just about everything in your 1st post.

A lot of peeps here go too crazy based on 1 game, whether we win or lose.

This was a good victory, we played SUNS ball, but proved we could play & mimick their style when needed.

DEF wise we need to do a much better job, b/c I highly doubt we can continue to play this style & outscore the SUNS. Getting game 1 was huge, but this series far from over.

I definitely think we're in the SUNS heads, & by winning Game 1 the way we did
(4Qtr OFF explosion) is playing ove rin their heads. It's like what the Fakers (KOBE & SHAQ era) was to us, they were in our heads until we finally overcame them in 2003, but it crept it's ugly head again last yr in the 2nd RD.

The fatigue factor I'm sure played a role, since the SUNS came off of that OT game a day ago.

The return of JJohnson will be huge for the SUNS, as he provides them scoring, & also rest for Nash. I just wished DBrown was healthy enough for POP to play, not having DBrown available off the bench has hurt our bench production & team, but we've been able to get through & manage.

ctpsb
05-23-2005, 10:06 AM
I think some of both are true. I wouldn't count on Barry scoring 21 every game. The Spurs need to play all out every game. However, I always fear the letdowns and we all know Suns will make adjustments.

Useruser666
05-23-2005, 10:08 AM
Oh, I thought this was going to be a bit torrent thread. :lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-23-2005, 10:15 AM
As usual, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I don't know if Barry is good for that kind of performance for the rest of the series, but the Spurs have enough shooters that if the Suns keep giving them the looks that they will pay. Bowen bricked 3 or 4 threes yesterday on wide open looks, but that could very easily turn around. Or it could be Horry, or Beno. Hell, even Devin Brown has a good deep ball when he's hot. So the lesson there is that the Suns probably can't rely on the idea that the Spurs will start missing. That's the beauty of depth. As far as the big three clicking, it wasn't like they were all on fire a la NBA Jam. Almost all of the shots they took were the kind that they love-Duncan with that soft hook in the paint, Tony with the runners and tear drops, and even Manu with a little bit of everything. I think the really telling thing is that he only had one crazy ass circus shot and nothing that really looked forced.

Likewise, I don't like the Spurs to miss ten more free throws in game 2. That's what makes this team so hard to attack in a seven game series. They hardly ever make the same mistakes twice.

The moral of the story is exactly what everyone has been saying all year long about Suns. No D= no rings.

ducks
05-23-2005, 10:23 AM
One thing is if the spurs lose n game 2
the will be mad and do not play for 3 days

Spurminator
05-23-2005, 10:26 AM
What we saw in Game 1 that we can expect to see again in Game 2:
Open looks from the perimeter
Nash-Stoudemire pick-and-roll
Foul trouble for Nazr Mohammed
Amare Stoudemire dominating the paint on offense
Spurs guards penetrating Suns defense with relative ease
Spurs controlling Suns' fast break opportunities

What we saw in Game 1 that we should not expect to see again in Game 2:
Suns shooting 35% in the First Quarter
Stoudemire in foul trouble early
Steve Nash guarding Tony Parker
Marion + QRich = 10 points
Barry with 20+
Jim Jackson with 20+
Manu with only 20
Rasho

ladiesman
05-23-2005, 10:28 AM
The spurs do have adjustments to make. The suns scored 6 points in transition. 6 freking points !!!! So the other 108 came in the suns half court set. That is a big NO NO :nope. Some adjustments will have to be made there. If the Spurs take their time in the offensive end, the will get their points.

T Park
05-23-2005, 10:35 AM

i disagree, I think youll see the Spurs try it again, and go at him, and try and KEEP him in foul trouble.

agree, those will be constants.

What we saw in Game 1 that we should not expect to see again in Game 2
Manu with only 20

I agree, Ginobili passed up alot of shots, and I think will be a little fresher tuesday cause of two nights off.

I think also you overrate what QRich will do, hes in a Hedoesque slump, and Marion, if Bowen stays on him, shouldn't gett off too bad.

Also, the Spurs are LETTING stoudamire dominate, so that keeps the ball out of the hands of marion and Rich and Jackson.

I agree, I dont see Jim Jackson scoring 20 again either.

timvp
05-23-2005, 01:25 PM
I can't tell if it was more A or more B. Either way, I expect the Suns to fire their best shot of the series tomorrow night. It's a must-win for them and they will show a lot more energy.

We'll get a much better feel for the series after game two. If the Suns bounce back, then the Spurs will have their work cut out for the in games three and four. If the Spurs win again, Spurs fans can start making Finals plans.

boutons
05-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Yep, this year's Cinderella team, fun and entertaining while it lasted, is definintely going to hear the stroke of midnight, if not tomorrow night, then after Game4.

baseline bum
05-23-2005, 01:58 PM
I agree more with the first scenario, basing my opinion on the 3 regular season games. I don't agree that it will be a short series however. Phoenix knows game 2 is do or die. If the Spurs find some way to take tomorrow's game I'll be one impressed motherfucker.

T Park
05-23-2005, 02:04 PM
I'll be one impressed motherfucker.

now heres the real question.

Would you have that stitched on your wallet? hahaha.

MiNuS
05-23-2005, 02:10 PM
I hate those 10-13 jump shots that always go in for Nash. WTF!
Somebody make "Kelly Leak" of the Bad News Bears feel the America West
Arena!

Supergirl
05-23-2005, 04:45 PM
WHat I expect of Game 2, and the rest of the series:
Stoudemire in foul trouble (but he'll still score 30+ points)
Mohammed less in foul trouble
Manu to score 30+ points
Duncan to dominate again
Horry to hit some timely 3's and play excellent D.

ShoogarBear
05-23-2005, 05:09 PM
What we saw in Game 1 that we can expect to see again in Game 2:

What we saw in Game 1 that we should not expect to see again in Game 2:
Suns shooting 35% in the First Quarter
Steve Nash guarding Tony Parker
Marion + QRich = 10 points
Barry with 20+
Jim Jackson with 20+
Manu with only 20
Rasho

Trying to sum up the above, it seems we will NOT see many positive things from game 1, which is probably true.

Game 2 will be much harder, and it will indeed be very impressive if the Spurs win again (and it will also be over).

Extra Stout
05-23-2005, 05:23 PM
I agree more with the first scenario, basing my opinion on the 3 regular season games. I don't agree that it will be a short series however. Phoenix knows game 2 is do or die. If the Spurs find some way to take tomorrow's game I'll be one impressed motherfucker.Winning Game 2 when the Suns will be lapsing into ecstatic utterances striving for a must-win would be a very 2001 Lakers thing to do.