PDA

View Full Version : Spurs steal Suns' edge with 43 points in 4th

Jimcs50
05-23-2005, 06:50 AM
Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
May. 23, 2005 12:00 AM

They were unfazed by an eight-point hole in the third quarter. They destroyed their opponent with three-pointers. They put the ball through the net as if it were a pizza parlor's pop-a-shot machine.

They played like the Suns and champions all in one.

They are the San Antonio Spurs, who turned as pesky as termites in the Suns' house Sunday. San Antonio knocked down four three-pointers in a 43-point, fourth-quarter deluge that gave the Spurs a 121-114 victory in Game 1 of the Western Conference finals. advertisement

Quickly, the clouds rolled in on the Suns' bright playoff roll. Since 1990, 27 of the 30 teams that have won Game 1 of the conference finals have gone on to win the series.

Phoenix's Jim Jackson already called Game 2 Tuesday at America West Arena a must win, and Spurs star Tim Duncan isn't satisfied.

"We would love to go out there and get this second one and really put them on their heels," said Duncan, who played on a tender ankle but delivered a 28-point, 15-rebound performance.

To even the series, Phoenix must find the missing energy, most notably from Shawn Marion, and effort, most notably on defense. The Suns learned Sunday that San Antonio, which led the league in scoring defense and was second in defensive field-goal percentage, could handle up-tempo games into the 100s.

"We're willing to be the chameleon," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "We usually change according to what other people do. We don't try to impose our will too much."

Phoenix forced its offensive will but not its desire to run. The Suns scored only six fast-break points and were missing the three-point punch off their secondary break - if a layup is not there, the Suns are adept at finding an open three-point shooter.

San Antonio, 3-0 this season with a full team playing Phoenix, stuck to its regular-season plan of denying the three-point line and allowing Amaré Stoudemire (41 points) to score. The Spurs further limited Phoenix's versatility by putting Bruce Bowen on Marion, who had three points.

San Antonio hit more threes (10 for 23) than Phoenix (6 for 15) and Marion had his worst game since a six-point effort in December - against the Spurs.

Escaping Dallas with missing parts was one thing, but the Suns - with Joe Johnson out and Marion and Quentin Richardson quiet - face more of a grind against San Antonio.

"We ain't going anywhere, though. Believe that," Richardson said.

Phoenix really missed Johnson in the fourth quarter, when he could have bridged Nash's rest time and defended at least one of Brent Barry's three three-pointers - or some of the 24 points in the paint. Duncan demanded the post attention that led to Barry's threes.

The fourth-quarter woes stemmed from the close of the third, when Phoenix again did not finish a quarter strongly.

San Antonio ended the first quarter on an 18-6 run and the second on an 11-6 run. Just when Phoenix had a late 8-0 spurt in the third, San Antonio stole momentum with the quarter's final four points.

Phoenix can't live without Steve Nash, who left the game for the final 48.6 seconds of the third. Suns coach Mike D'Antoni called Nash's name 53 seconds into the fourth, with Phoenix already having lost its lead. Nash's return did not help the defense.

"Defense wins championships and that's what we've got to do, myself included," Stoudemire said.

San Antonio missed six shots in the fourth and rebounded four of them. The Spurs were stopped on only four fourth-quarter possessions. The arena was half-empty by the buzzer.

"We kind of let fatigue affect us mentally," Nash said. "I think we lost our concentration. I think we lost our fight just for enough stretches to lose the game."

Even as San Antonio trapped him more, Nash was stellar with 29 points and 13 assists. It was his sixth straight game with more than 20 shots after not doing that all season. It was also his sixth straight game with more than 20 points.

One of Nash's MVP predecessors, Duncan, answered every change in defenders and every double team with brilliance that disrupted Phoenix's defense. The Suns went more frequently with Stoudemire and Steven Hunter together for defense, regardless of the big lineup's ramifications on the offense. They played 18 minutes together in the final three quarters.

"Not a game we expected, but one we will take," Duncan said.

Jimcs50
05-23-2005, 06:56 AM
"Defense wins championships and that's what we've got to do, myself included," Stoudemire said.

:lol

Now he has an epiphany?

Jimcs50
05-23-2005, 06:57 AM
Bowen keeps Marion from having impact

Norm Frauenheim
The Arizona Republic

Shawn Marion knows all about not being appreciated. But not involved? That's different.

Marion hardly caused a ripple Sunday in the Suns' 121-114 loss to the San Antonio Spurs in Game 1 of the Western Conference finals at America West Arena but said there's plenty more he can do.

"I definitely have to get more involved if I'm going to help," said Marion, who had only three points - 19.5 under his playoff average - and three more rebounds (nine) than field-goal attempts (six). "We can't win like that, know what I'm saying? Everybody can see that. So yeah, I've definitely got to be more involved. Some way, somehow." advertisement

In the Suns locker room, there were several theories as to why Marion made only a single field goal.

"I think he was a little tired," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said.

He also was under more than a little pressure from Bruce Bowen, a first-team All-Defensive player and runner-up to Detroit's Ben Wallace for Defensive Player of the Year.

In a bit of a surprise, the Spurs opened with Bowen matched up against Marion, who was held to six points in a 115-94 loss on Dec. 28 at San Antonio. Marion had 37 points on Jan. 21 vs. the Spurs, but the Suns still lost 128-123 in overtime at America West Arena.

"Shawn is effective at more spots on the floor than he ever has been," said Bowen, whose defensive pressure tormented the Suns in a 4-2 San Antonio victory in the first round of the 2003 playoffs. "He's developed a good three-pointer.

"I had to apply pressure and try to keep him from getting to spots where he's most comfortable."

Nothing but practice

Spurs guard Manu Ginobili swears he has been getting ready for a 50-foot shot.

He hit one to end the first quarter. On the play-by-play sheet, it was called a 52-footer. But who's measuring?

"I've been practicing it for a while," he said with a well-practiced wink.

Ankle holds up

Spurs center Tim Duncan played 40 minutes, despite concern about a sprained ankle. He stayed on the floor, in part because of fears that the ankle might flare up on him.

"At halftime, I was really worried about that," said Duncan, who spent halftime in the whirlpool. "I actually sat in the training room while we had our meeting."

Still waiting on Johnson

There was no word Sunday on whether Suns guard Joe Johnson, sidelined since May 11 with a fractured orbital bone, will play Tuesday. D'Antoni had his doubts.

"I don't see it happening, but you just never know," he said.

Jimcs50
05-23-2005, 06:59 AM
This, from the self described perennial MVP candidate?

Jimcs50
05-23-2005, 07:08 AM

He hit one to end the first quarter. On the play-by-play sheet, it was called a 52-footer. But who's measuring?

I think Pop's humor is rubbing off.

boutons
05-23-2005, 07:42 AM
"Since 1990, 27 of the 30 teams that have won Game 1 of the conference finals have gone on to win the series."

"That's The Way I Like It. uh-huh uh-huh"

The Suns had a great, fun, entertaining year, Nash and Amare were fantastic, and Mike is quite a classy guy (but I've never seen him go apoplectically ballistic until yesterday when a foul was called on Tim shooting). The Suns owner sucks hind tit. I think Mike was feeling the pressure of seeing writing on the wall coming inexorably into focus). But the Suns are too young, too playoff-inexperienced, too unbalanced (no defense) to compete at the highest level.

The series is far from over mathematically, but any serious observer knows where to place his money.

The Spurs really didn't play with great intensity, but "you ain't seen nothing, yet". Tim said they will be going for 2-0, which, followed by 3+ days rest, would be GAMEOVER.

Hook Dem
05-23-2005, 07:53 AM
"Defense wins championships and that's what we've got to do, myself included," Stoudemire said. To "know' is one thing. To "do" is another! :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
05-23-2005, 08:09 AM

Aren't they, the ones that are out trying to prove the opposite??

boutons
05-23-2005, 08:16 AM
Amare's swagger, confidence, hubris is that of the truly ignorant, just like our shrub-in-chief.

I laugh whenever I hear anybody on the Suns mention defense.

Ishta
05-23-2005, 08:38 AM
Bowen keeps Marion from having impact

Norm Frauenheim
The Arizona Republic

Shawn Marion knows all about not being appreciated. But not involved? That's different.

Marion hardly caused a ripple Sunday in the Suns' 121-114 loss to the San Antonio Spurs in Game 1 of the Western Conference finals at America West Arena but said there's plenty more he can do.

"I definitely have to get more involved if I'm going to help," said Marion, who had only three points - 19.5 under his playoff average - and three more rebounds (nine) than field-goal attempts (six). "We can't win like that, know what I'm saying? Everybody can see that. So yeah, I've definitely got to be more involved. Some way, somehow." advertisement

In the Suns locker room, there were several theories as to why Marion made only a single field goal.

"I think he was a little tired," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said.

He also was under more than a little pressure from Bruce Bowen, a first-team All-Defensive player and runner-up to Detroit's Ben Wallace for Defensive Player of the Year.

In a bit of a surprise, the Spurs opened with Bowen matched up against Marion, who was held to six points in a 115-94 loss on Dec. 28 at San Antonio. Marion had 37 points on Jan. 21 vs. the Spurs, but the Suns still lost 128-123 in overtime at America West Arena.

"Shawn is effective at more spots on the floor than he ever has been," said Bowen, whose defensive pressure tormented the Suns in a 4-2 San Antonio victory in the first round of the 2003 playoffs. "He's developed a good three-pointer.

"I had to apply pressure and try to keep him from getting to spots where he's most comfortable."

Nothing but practice

Ankle holds up

Spurs center Tim Duncan played 40 minutes, despite concern about a sprained ankle. He stayed on the floor, in part because of fears that the ankle might flare up on him.

"At halftime, I was really worried about that," said Duncan, who spent halftime in the whirlpool. "I actually sat in the training room while we had our meeting."

Still waiting on Johnson

There was no word Sunday on whether Suns guard Joe Johnson, sidelined since May 11 with a fractured orbital bone, will play Tuesday. D'Antoni had his doubts.

"I don't see it happening, but you just never know," he said.

When did he change positions?:lol