PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Offseason Workouts Pay Early Dividends for Richard

Blackjack
11-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Mysterious Offseason Workouts Pay Early Dividends for Richard Jefferson
By Brett Pollakoff

PHOENIX -- Richard Jefferson was looking for Manu Ginobili.

After pouring in 18 fourth-quarter points to help bury the Suns in Phoenix 112-110 on Wednesday, when reporters swarmed his locker to hear all about it, Jefferson smiled, looked around and asked to be informed of Ginobili's whereabouts.

"Where's Manu at?" Jefferson asked. "Every time I hit like two threes in a game and people ask me about that, Manu starts laughing."

If Jefferson's performance against the Suns was any indication, there may be a plenty of laughs in store for Ginobili this season.

Continue Reading >>> (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/11/06/mysterious-offseason-workouts-pay-early-dividends-for-richard-je/)

benefactor
11-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Great start. Just keep doing what you are doing, RJ.

BronxCowboy
11-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Curious quotes in this article:

When asked to give specific examples of some of these so-called "ridiculous" drills, Popovich ... well, let's just say he politely declined.

"None of your business," he said.

"They were not fun," Jefferson said of the drills. And just like his tight-lipped head coach, Jefferson didn't want to say exactly what was involved, either.

"I'd rather not give away any secrets, let's put it that way."

Just wondering... was Jefferson brought in to test a new cyborg-creating process? There's really no other explanation. If it works, might an extension for TD be in the works? Maybe we aren't taking "till the wheels fall off" literally enough? Just sayin'...

CIA Pop
11-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Damn right that little pussy's not going to talk about the workouts. I got the goods on his little 'relationship' and he knows that as soon as he opens his mouth, the shit's gonna hit the fan.

Dex
11-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Richard Jefferson's development is like self-paying dividends.

Obviously at some point this summer, Pop sat down (likely with a glass of wine) and thought, "What am I going to do with this guy?" The decision: face him with an ultimatum. Throw him in the fire, or send him packing.

Jefferson also swallowed a lot of pride by taking the hard way out. He accepted that his performance had been subpar (which obviously bothered him), and worked all summer to improve his game. Both guys deserve respect for just making the effort (or pulling the right strings.) Considering all of the work RJ put in this summer, I have a hard time believing his opt-out wasn't secured by some pre-arranged deal, but that's neither here nor there.

Now, the work is paying off. Imagine how gratifying it must be for Jefferson to see the fruits of his labor. Simultaneously, imagine the gratitude in Pop for seeing his overall strategy succeed. With every right decision Jefferson makes, you can almost see his confidence brimming, and with that grows Popovich's.

For a player last season whose main distraction was a lack of confidence (both for himself, and by his coach), that change can make a huge difference. If Jefferson keeps this up, he will be worth more than the "overpaid" contract he got over the summer.

Cane
11-06-2010, 05:54 PM
I wonder if RJ can get some votes for "Most Improved Player" if he can keep this up. The media were all over RJ's lackluster season and surprised as hell that he opted out only to return to the Spurs...I think he's got a decent shot if he keeps up his play.

GabeIsGone
11-06-2010, 08:54 PM
I wonder if RJ can get some votes for "Most Improved Player" if he can keep this up. The media were all over RJ's lackluster season and surprised as hell that he opted out only to return to the Spurs...I think he's got a decent shot if he keeps up his play.

Thing is, Jefferson has been a top player at some point already. Now 'Comeback player of the year' I can definitely see.

noob cake
11-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Jefferson is now fucken Reggie Miller

ShoogarBear
11-06-2010, 09:40 PM
One thing's for certain: those mysterious workouts didn't include free throws.

duhoh
11-06-2010, 10:19 PM

same could be said for the rest of the team though :lol

:depressed

itzsoweezee
11-06-2010, 10:23 PM
i think this could be the best season of RJ's career. amazing.

Spurs Brazil
11-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Another solid game today against the Rockets.

Pop needs to call more plays for him

Roger Freemason Jr.
11-07-2010, 01:41 AM
At first, I thought RJ just had fresh legs, and was having some luck. But that is not true, RJ has restored his knowledge on the advanced fundamentals, his confidence is through the roof, his jump-shot is superb, and he's hitting those threes that The Spurs desperately need. TD looked really bad tonight, but that doesn't worry me, after seeing him dominate against The Suns, I know he's still the all star he once was. Neal didn't shine tonight either.

silverblackfan
11-07-2010, 01:41 AM
Jefferson is now fucken Reggie Miller

:lol:lol He has been surprising the hell out of us! I hope this is RJ v.2 all year.

BanditHiro
11-07-2010, 01:55 AM
um the real question is...why doesn't the entire spurs team do these mysterious summer workouts?

Gutter92
11-07-2010, 01:57 AM
um the real question is...why doesn't the entire spurs team do these mysterious summer workouts?

Because then you gain what Jefferson gained, but divide it by 12, which makes it useless.

Darkwaters
11-07-2010, 03:08 AM

What more indication do you need that hes becoming even more of a true Spur daily?

TDMVPDPOY
11-07-2010, 04:33 AM
h as rj ever avg +20ppg

Bukefal
11-07-2010, 04:46 AM
Good game RJ. This is great to see!

11-07-2010, 05:11 AM
what kind of workouts did he do? every spur should do it.

11-07-2010, 05:12 AM
h as rj ever avg +20ppg
he's done it a couple times as a net.

Marco
11-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Working on basic fundamentals by an established 30 year player: gotta respect the man.

VBM
11-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Another solid game today against the Rockets.

Pop needs to call more plays for him

Jefferson's been thriving off the Bowen role (offensively). Stay in the corner and wait for the swing pass. No need to put the pressure of being a second or third option on him this soon, otherwise they risk messing up his confidence with added expectations. Pop doesn't need to call more plays for him, he just needs to tell Gino to tone back the contested 3-pointers late in games.

Rito3d30
11-07-2010, 10:09 AM
his shooting % is just crazy now
Big year for RJ

99-03-05-07
11-07-2010, 01:06 PM
RJ wants a ring!!

JWest596
11-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Nobody is "overpaid" in their contract if a river parade occurs.

RJ looks damn promising, Manu and TP played well and Tim did his almost usual '20/10' routine despite a bad first half. The Rockets always play us tough and yes we were fortunate for their decisions made and game injuries but we are beginning off to a good start which compared to last season is a big w00t!

We get Splitter assimilated and in shape, DB and bench getting better...I like what I'm seeing so far.

The Truth #6
11-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Jefferson's been thriving off the Bowen role (offensively). Stay in the corner and wait for the swing pass. No need to put the pressure of being a second or third option on him this soon, otherwise they risk messing up his confidence with added expectations. Pop doesn't need to call more plays for him, he just needs to tell Gino to tone back the contested 3-pointers late in games.

That's just crazy talk. He's a career scorer. I think he can handle the pressure of extra shots. The challenge is to get good shots, which he has been. There were several times in the Rockets game when Manu or Tony would be dribbling around looking for their own shot when a pass to an open RJ would have been the better basketball play.

Blackjack
11-07-2010, 02:25 PM
That's just crazy talk. He's a career scorer. I think he can handle the pressure of extra shots. The challenge is to get good shots, which he has been. There were several times in the Rockets game when Manu or Tony would be dribbling around looking for their own shot when a pass to an open RJ would have been the better basketball play.

While I don't believe they need to be calling isolations for him down the stretch, you're right. Manu and Tony seemed to forget about him (and most everyone else for a stretch there) during some crucial stretches -- the guy scored on the outlet to end regulation but I don't believe he took a shot for a good stretch before that play or even one in overtime.

What kills me about games like last night is when Manu tires and no one puts the onus on themselves to finish the job, or simply the fresher man doesn't demand the ball.

Manu had his shot going and he's always got the guts of a burglar. But when he doesn't have his legs to get to the cup, he starts getting 3 happy. And when Manu gets 3 happy, that ain't good for the team -- the Spurs need to get to the basket, and subsequently, the line, down the stretch. No one on the Spurs gets to the line easier than Manu when he's got his legs, but RJ has been getting there more frequently this year.

That's why they need to get RJ involved more late in games. They need to create the seams so RJ can attack off the ball to get to the line late. It's RJ, Manu and Indy that have gotten to the line most frequently this year and they need to know that for situations like last night.

Cessation
11-07-2010, 06:54 PM
After a second look, I'd say the first two manu threes were bad, but the 3rd one was fine. He was open and he had his feet set. Sometimes he goes for these dagger threes, this time they didnt go in, he's just a daring player. He did put us into ot with the awsome shake and bake, and had the steal with 16 sec left when we were up by one, preventing a potential game winning score by the rockets. We shouldn't be so hard on manu, you can't play perfect all the time. He was 4-11 on threes which is a descent percentage.

TJastal
11-08-2010, 02:41 AM
While I don't believe they need to be calling isolations for him down the stretch, you're right. Manu and Tony seemed to forget about him (and most everyone else for a stretch there) during some crucial stretches -- the guy scored on the outlet to end regulation but I don't believe he took a shot for a good stretch before that play or even one in overtime.

What kills me about games like last night is when Manu tires and no one puts the onus on themselves to finish the job, or simply the fresher man doesn't demand the ball.

Manu had his shot going and he's always got the guts of a burglar. But when he doesn't have his legs to get to the cup, he starts getting 3 happy. And when Manu gets 3 happy, that ain't good for the team -- the Spurs need to get to the basket, and subsequently, the line, down the stretch. No one on the Spurs gets to the line easier than Manu when he's got his legs, but RJ has been getting there more frequently this year.

That's why they need to get RJ involved more late in games. They need to create the seams so RJ can attack off the ball to get to the line late. It's RJ, Manu and Indy that have gotten to the line most frequently this year and they need to know that for situations like last night.

Hill has shown some flashes of being a guy who can not only get to the line with frequency, but knock em down at an 80% clip. Perhaps there is a closer job in his future?