PDA

View Full Version : UFC 123: Rampage vs. Machida November 20, 2010 Fight Thread

dbreiden83080
11-06-2010, 06:55 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/73/Ufc123-poster_medium.jpg

Really a must win fight for both Machida and Page. Machida needs to get back on track after the 2 losses (Yes I said 2 losses) to Shogun and Page after his terribly lackluster showing with Rashad must win this to get back in the 205 elite picture.. A lot of people are questioning his heart and desire these days. This fight will likely be the next chapter of great fights to come for Page or the beginning of the end of his career..

NicktheFace with a great trailer here..

0B7wJAfeHjs

Main card

Light Heavyweight bout: Quinton Jackson vs. Lyoto Machida
Welterweight bout: Matt Hughes vs. B.J. Penn
Middleweight bout: Gerald Harris vs. Maiquel Falcão
Light Heavyweight bout: Phil Davis vs. Tim Boetsch
Lightweight bout: George Sotiropoulos vs. Joe Lauzon

Spike TV card

Welterweight bout: Matt Brown vs. Brian Foster
Middleweight bout: Aaron Simpson vs. Mark Muñoz

Preliminary card

Welterweight bout: Karo Parisyan vs. Dennis Hallman
Lightweight bout: Darren Elkins vs. Edson Barboza
Lightweight bout: Tyson Griffin vs. Nik Lentz

Stringer_Bell
11-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Main card

- Machida has the mind of a champion, and even though he might not have the belt or win it again, he is very dangerous for any style of fighter. Rampage is done, I think, his heart is gone and it's just business to him. Machida by KO.

- BJ cares very deeply about his legacy, and I think this is it if he can't win. Hughes is just having a good time and developing some things he missed during his reign at WW. It will be a much different match, probably slower and more deliberate than ever before for both fighters...but BJ needs this win badly, so I'll choose him.

- This fight doesn't make sense other than from a promotional standpoint because it will be Harris's coming out party against a TOUGH Brazilian KO artist. The UFC wants this one to be a war and show Harris is a beast...so I say he takes this via GnP when Falcao gasses in the 3rd.

- I'm liking Davis, but I actually think this will be kind of a boring fight to a decision.

- Very tough fight to call, I like both fighters. Both guys have amazing ground games, but I think George is faster. I actually think Joe is the tougher fighter willing to stand and exchange, he isn't afraid to rush you, but George isn't going to let himself get tagged so I expect this to be 3 rounds of high level BJJ on display. George neutralizes Joe and takes the split decision.

dbreiden83080
11-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Main card

- Machida has the mind of a champion, and even though he might not have the belt or win it again, he is very dangerous for any style of fighter. Rampage is done, I think, his heart is gone and it's just business to him. Machida by KO.

Page may not be what he was but he has a rock chin and won't get KO'd IMO.. Machida like Brock hates getting hit when you hit him he panics.. That's why i give Page a shot here

Stringer_Bell
11-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Page may not be what he was but he has a rock chin and won't get KO'd IMO.. Machida like Brock hates getting hit when you hit him he panics.. That's why i give Page a shot here

I don't think Rashad hit him with much, just clipped him good and Rampage was still wobbled. Machida is too fast to get mauled by Old Rampage, which will frustrate him to no end and make it that much easier to beat up. Yea, that's right I think Rampage is starting his farewell tour with this fight and going to end up like Chuck.

Machida will make his case for #1 Contender this match, even if everyone knows he's getting Bones/Bader next. Rampage won't make it 3 rounds. :hat

dbreiden83080
11-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Page didn't wobble when Shad hit him he was off balance but never hurt and his chin is legendary. The shots he took in the first 2 Wand fights, holy shit what a chin...

Page loses by UD or wins this by KO is the way i see it.. I do't know aout Machida's confidence right now.. Hell his own father was calling for his retirement after the Shogun fight..

dbreiden83080
11-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Countdown show is on UFC.com

desflood
11-17-2010, 10:19 AM

Spike TV card

Middleweight bout: Aaron Simpson vs. Mark Muñoz

Preliminary card

Welterweight bout: Karo Parisyan vs. Dennis Hallman
Lightweight bout: Darren Elkins vs. Edson Barboza
Lightweight bout: Tyson Griffin vs. Nik Lentz

Normally I'd pick Penn to win against Hughes easily, but he's already making excuses about how he's outsized. That tells me he hasn't trained like he should have (again) and he needs a way out of the humiliation.

Man, I hate picking against Lauzon. He's tough and skilled - I just think that George is too big for him.

dbreiden83080
11-17-2010, 10:57 AM
Main card

This is me mainly being a lame fan right here as Page is one of my fav's always has been. The head says Machida by decision, the heart is begging for a Page KO.. Come on Page BABY!!!!

This is a tight fight to call. Neither are in their primes anymore but both are likely to still put on a really good fight. If the first 2 are any indication we should be in for some fire-works in this 3rd fight. I see Hughes losing round 1 and half-way through RD 2 getting some control and TD's. Hughes by UD or maybe even SD...

George is close to a title shot..

MannyIsGod
11-17-2010, 12:08 PM
I hope Rampage has some Rampage in the tank for this match.

dbreiden83080
11-17-2010, 02:06 PM
I hope Rampage has some Rampage in the tank for this match.

This fight is his career. If he loses he'll never get back to the top..

Rip-Hamilton32
11-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Rampage
Penn
Harris
Davis
George

dbreiden83080
11-19-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm gonna change to BJ.. Just a gut feeling i am getting..

dbreiden83080
11-19-2010, 04:11 PM
weigh ins on right now

http://modulesorigin.ufc.com/live/?systemId=595e115b-bf6c-4485-b549-3d0356c653c3&playerContextId=c91675da-fa59-4540-b95f-12bc53e8e3fb

ace3g
11-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Machida
Penn
Harris
Davis
Sotiropoulos

dbreiden83080
11-19-2010, 04:35 PM
Ace how do you see Penn/Hughes going??

Penn but by what??

I can't decide..

ace3g
11-19-2010, 04:41 PM
As much as Hughes may have something to prove in the rubber match, Penn has something to prove to himself after losing to Edgar twice as well as winning this rubber match.

As far as how the match will go, I see it going to a decision in favor of Penn.

polandprzem
11-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Lightweight bout: George Sotiropoulosvs. Joe Lauzon

Spike TV card

dbreiden83080
11-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Lightweight bout: George Sotiropoulosvs. Joe Lauzon

Spike TV card

That a Boy Poland

War Rampage!!!!!

Lets go!!!

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd51/adio_bam555/RampageHowl.jpg

dbreiden83080
11-19-2010, 07:22 PM
As much as Hughes may have something to prove in the rubber match, Penn has something to prove to himself after losing to Edgar twice as well as winning this rubber match.

I might change back to Hughes by fight time..

I just can't decide here..

angelbelow
11-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Machida should take this pretty easily.

CubanSucks
11-19-2010, 08:53 PM
I think Machida gets a TKO in round 2 even though I'm rooting for Rampage. I think Hughes wins by submission in round 2. And I think Lauzon loses by TKO in round 3 or by decision. As for the other fights, I either don't know shit about them or don't give a shit about them

angelbelow
11-19-2010, 08:55 PM

Maybe we'll see Penn break his hand over Hughes face again. Man that would be embarrassing for hughes.

dbreiden83080
11-20-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm gonna change to BJ.. Just a gut feeling i am getting..

I'll stick with BJ.. This is so tough to call but even though i don't like him i want BJ to win so he can have other fights at WW against guys like Hardy and Alves..

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Those were the most awkward intro interview clips ever.

ace3g
11-20-2010, 10:05 PM
http://mmafans.net/pages/chat/

discuss the fights

dbreiden83080
11-20-2010, 11:06 PM
Fuckin sick promo for GSP and Kos they just ran

ace3g
11-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Aldo received his belt tonight

BlairForceDejuan
11-20-2010, 11:45 PM
seriously...

ace3g
11-20-2010, 11:47 PM
this is why names don't always make a fight

redzero
11-20-2010, 11:49 PM
What is BJ Penn high on? He really wanted to get out of the octagon.

ace3g
11-20-2010, 11:50 PM
Penn has done that before in fights, ran out after winning

MannyIsGod
11-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Damn. Just Damn.

Slydragon
11-21-2010, 12:30 AM
Boring main event.

ace3g
11-21-2010, 12:32 AM
no fucking way, no fucking way, Machida won that fight easily

ace3g
11-21-2010, 12:33 AM
that was NBA Ref bad, rematch better happen and the quickest possible time, this is the first time I'm really pissed about a result

MannyIsGod
11-21-2010, 12:34 AM
:lmao at least Rampage wasn't a bitch about it.

polandprzem
11-21-2010, 12:35 AM
what did machida do really?

He won the 3rd, but first two IMo were rampage rounds

MannyIsGod
To be fair though, round 3 was easily Machida. But two was probably Rampage and one was really close. Not really that bad of a decision its just that round 3 was so much in Machida's favor and the other two were close.

polandprzem
To be fair though, round 3 was easily Machida. But two was probably Rampage and one was really close. Not really that bad of a decision its just that round 3 was so much in Machida's favor and the other two were close.

esp. when it was split decision

dbreiden83080
11-21-2010, 12:36 AM
WOW

Pretty good fight. I thought Page won RDs 1 and 2 but round 1 but super close round 1. Machida did good in the 3rd but it goes to show you that the judges hate that style of always on your heels. So Machida can only blame himself..

resistanze
11-21-2010, 12:36 AM
Yeah it wasn't that much of a controversy. Rampage won 2 clearly IMO, and Machida obviously won round 3. Round 1 was either way, reflected by the judges.

dbreiden83080
11-21-2010, 12:38 AM
no fucking way, no fucking way, Machida won that fight easily

Easily what did he do in the first 2 rds?? Throw a few leg kicks and backpeddal..

Page was in pursuit and threw the harder stuff.. Machida's style sucks. He doesn't come to fight he comes to score points..

dbreiden83080
11-21-2010, 12:40 AM
What's funny about the Penn fight is now all his idiot fans will over-react about the easy win and say

"GSP your next":lol

Blackjack
11-21-2010, 12:42 AM
@MMATortureHouse (http://twitter.com/#!/MMATortureHouse/status/6211453157642240)

Machida has Yakuza ties and Murgliatta has been linked to La Cocanostra. This shit could get ugly real quick.

:lol

EduRiker
11-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Ive also scored 29-28 Rampage, even though Im a big Lyoto fan. If this is a 5 round fight, Lyoto wouldve win easily but he was too passive in the first two rounds. Sucks for him cause he's better than Rampage and now is stuck with a rematch on his way to the belt.

ace3g
11-21-2010, 12:47 AM
Maiquel Falcão is on the radar now;

sure Rampage was throwing harder punches but a lot of them weren't landing. Most here picked Rampage anyway so of course you aren't too upset with the results.

Rampage needed the win more anyway so good for him

Sense
I was as stunned as Rampage when the result was said.... Machida should've won that...

Round 1 could've easily been a tie... 2 I can't say I would give to Rampage... 3 was Machidas easily...

Seriously if someone asked me what happened on this fight I would say that Machida had like what? 3 take downs? got some kicks and knees and took round 3 easily... Now Rampage? He had like 3 combinations tops and 1 take down..

Rampage knew he lost.. that's when you know it's a bs call.

dbreiden83080
Ive also scored 29-28 Rampage, even though Im a big Lyoto fan. If this is a 5 round fight, Lyoto wouldve win easily but he was too passive in the first two rounds. Sucks for him cause he's better than Rampage and now is stuck with a rematch on his way to the belt.

I'm telling you man the guy doesn't come to fight. He is scared to get hit and just wants to score pts. Page is a fighter from the streets and wants to get in there and scrap.. His pursuit of Machida won him that fight. If i am a judge and one guy is always running away

Hey don't whine about the decision..

dbreiden83080
11-21-2010, 12:48 AM
I was as stunned as Rampage when the result was said.... Machida should've won that...

Round 1 could've easily been a tie... 2 I can't say I would give to Rampage... 3 was Machidas easily...

Seriously if someone asked me what happened on this fight I would say that Machida had like what? 3 take downs? got some kicks and knees and took round 3 easily... Now Rampage? He had like 3 combinations tops and 1 take down..

Rampage knew he lost.. that's when you know it's a bs call.

Everything Machida did was in round 3 and even then Page powered out of the attempted arm bar.. I had page winning the fight 29-28..

MannyIsGod
11-21-2010, 01:05 AM
Its not like Machida won round 3 10-8 or anywhere near that.

EduRiker
11-21-2010, 01:14 AM
If two rounds are very close, and the last round is clearly dominated by one man, it's just a shame to score it for the guy who lost the only really meaningful round of the fight. But thats the way it is.

CubanSucks
11-21-2010, 01:30 AM
If two rounds are very close, and the last round is clearly dominated by one man, it's just a shame to score it for the guy who lost the only really meaningful round of the fight. But thats the way it is.

the second round wasn't close at all. Neither landed too much, though Rampage was actually TRYING to make something happen, and Rampage had a takedown. How's that even close?

EduRiker
11-21-2010, 01:38 AM
the second round wasn't close at all. Neither landed too much, though Rampage was actually TRYING to make something happen, and Rampage had a takedown. How's that even close?

Trying is one thing. What Im saying is the first two rounds were MUCH MUCH closer than the third. Nothing relevant happened before the third. Im not arguing Rampage was much more active in the first two rounds, but he did not landed anything significant. I just dont think its fair for the second and third rounds to be scored 10-9, as Lyoto clearly did more damage.

On Pride rules, Machida wouldve won, but it's on Lyoto to be less passive out there.

crc21209
11-21-2010, 01:46 AM
:lol Machida...

dbreiden83080
11-21-2010, 01:48 AM
Rumor is Fitch and BJ are gonna fight now..

Good fight there

Rip-Hamilton32
11-21-2010, 01:49 AM
Thank you Rampage, a knock out would have been nice. I'm tired of watching Machida back peddle.

CubanSucks
11-21-2010, 01:50 AM
After TUF finale I'm gonna be going to sleep on mma for awhile. Feb 5, UFC 126. That's how far I'm looking ahead

dbreiden83080
11-21-2010, 01:51 AM
Thank you Rampage, a knock out would have been nice. I'm tired of watching Machida back peddle.

Me too War Rampage!!!!

I want Page and Shad 2 bad now.. Fuck Shad..

CubanSucks
11-21-2010, 01:54 AM
Rumor is Fitch and BJ are gonna fight now..

Good fight there

:wow Links? Quotes? Video?

dbreiden83080
11-21-2010, 01:54 AM
I just can't get much ground in predictions this year..

I go 4-1 on this card but only 1-3 on the shitty 122 card..

DAMN!!!!!!:bang

dbreiden83080
11-21-2010, 01:59 AM
:wow Links? Quotes? Video?

Bj Penn will face jon fitch in Sydney. ... Nice.
http://sherdognet.craveonline.com/index.php#http://twitter.com/JoshGrossESPN

Fitch's fight with Ellenberger might get scrapped..

CubanSucks
11-21-2010, 02:43 AM
That would be epic. All the Fitch haters will be licking their chops to see Fitch potentially get KOd. I don't see how Fitch couldn't do anything Edgar did to him. Then again I don't know too much about Edgar but it appears he's more explosive at his takedowns and not so much grappling. But after seeing Fitch survive what GSP threw at him, I don't see Penn getting a KO and I sure as fuck don't see anyone not named GSP winning a grappling match with Fitch

desflood
11-21-2010, 09:34 AM
I knew. I KNEW I was wrong when Penn came out to fight with that look on his face that said he was gonna hafta choke a bitch, but it was too late to change the pick.

I also had Machida taking the first round and the fight, but it's his own damn fault he lost - he just needs to be more aggressive.

Stringer_Bell
11-21-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm in Holland with my girlfriend and we were gonna stay up to stream it but were too tired. I did however catch the vids online and I gotta say, Rampage DID win that match. He had showed better Octagon control and threw better strikes, looked like the old stalking Rampage from the old days except a little slower. I think this win gives him confidence, and I don't even think it needs rematch. Let Bones beat him, then he gets Machida again.

Lyoto is MUCH stronger than he gives himself credit for, he's simply too safe and I think that's mostly to do with Karate itself as a style. I'd like to see him train with another camp just to see how receptive he is to improving his aggression because LHW is stacked with dudes that aren't afraid to get hit.

Good win by BJ, his striking is still great even tho he did catch Hughes in the back of the head at one point.

Sotiropolous deserves to fight for #1 contender (he should get next shot after Ben Henderson/Frankie (cuz Gray ain't winning shit)), he's my guy at LW until Diego comes back. No more stalling Dana!

cornbread
11-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Poor Karo. He looked like a shell of his former self. Very sad.

dbreiden83080
11-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Poor Karo. He looked like a shell of his former self. Very sad.

He looked soft and out of shape... What has happened to him??

strosFan2
11-21-2010, 11:44 PM
They were saying something about his thigh being messed up during practice back when he was supposed to fight Hughes for the title, and his fighting has never been the same...

He was a very good Judo guy, but after that thigh injury he couldn't do the same moves...

He did look very small and soft out there. sucks that the UFC cut him already...

benefactor
11-22-2010, 09:16 AM
Machida looked really scared to engage in those first two rounds. It looked like he had several opportunities to counter strike and just didn't. Perhaps he is the most recent victim of the "I've been KTFOed now I'm not the same fighter" disease?

desflood
11-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Fuckin sick promo for GSP and Kos they just ran
If the fight is half as good as the promo, it's going to be great.

strosFan2
11-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Unless Kos has improved drastically, I don't see this fight being too exciting for Kos!

I think GSP is too good of a fighter to be beaten by someone like Kos. Excluding the fighters chance, GSP is too technical and smart for anyone in that weight division right now.

cornbread
11-22-2010, 01:12 PM
They were saying something about his thigh being messed up during practice back when he was supposed to fight Hughes for the title, and his fighting has never been the same...

He was a very good Judo guy, but after that thigh injury he couldn't do the same moves...

He did look very small and soft out there. sucks that the UFC cut him already...

Karo has also had that whole panic attack problem in recent years which caused him to drop to the lower-tier shows. Mentally, he looks like he's lost "the heat." Win or lose, he was always one of the most exciting fighters out there. It's a bummer to see him essentially disintegrate as a fighter. It reminds you just how human these guys are.

dbreiden83080
11-22-2010, 01:40 PM
If the fight is half as good as the promo, it's going to be great.

Amazing..

tUTqsICSVl4

I think GSP is too good of a fighter to be beaten by someone like Kos. Excluding the fighters chance, GSP is too technical and smart for anyone in that weight division right now.

GSP is the best fighter in the world right now. I don't see anyone beating him for years..

desflood
11-22-2010, 02:10 PM
GSP is the best fighter in the world right now. I don't see anyone beating him for years..
Once again, a completely unbiased analysis from db :lol

I'm guessing that Kos is going to give GSP more of a hassle than most people think. A lot of fans kept their initial opinion of him from back in his TUF days -that he's just a one-dimensional fighter. If they weren't so blinded by their old hatred they'd see that he's improved fantastically; he's much more well-rounded now. I have very little doubt that GSP will win the fight, but we shouldn't discount Koscheck completely. I'm sure Georges isn't. Matt Serra taught him that lesson well.

dbreiden83080
11-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Once again, a completely unbiased analysis from db :lol

Hey that's why i'm here.. :toast

CubanSucks
11-22-2010, 06:39 PM
tUTqsICSVl4

Thanks for the Rihanna warning! :bang

Now I'll have that horrid voice stuck in my head for the rest of the day. I FUCKING HATE HER
good promo though when it's muted :wakeup