PDA

View Full Version : Homeowners ASSociation: Take Down Spurs Flag

Taco
05-23-2005, 08:38 AM
Does anyone have any info on a Homeowners ASSociation sending a letter out to a resident to take down his Spurs Flag he had on his home?

Does anyone have a link on this story?

pooh
05-23-2005, 11:36 PM
Bless the homeowners association. Too many flags hanging along buildings and homes as is..it distracts drivers. Well done.

3rdCoast
05-23-2005, 11:36 PM
Yea, being tacky is not good.

nacho estrada
05-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Ok Winnie, keep the hatin to a minimum. :lol . I know your upset about Reggie and all. :smokin

Spurbanana
05-23-2005, 11:41 PM
And yet American flags are perfectly acceptable. Interesting.

3rdCoast
05-23-2005, 11:43 PM
The American Flag represents an entire nation and national pride, the Spurs flags represent SA and their fans and are not a national symbol.

BadlyDrawnBoy
05-23-2005, 11:44 PM
I believe they were allowed to keep it up through the playoffs.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-23-2005, 11:45 PM
Who/what is/are the homeowners Association?

Can't you just tell them to STFU?

Chris
05-23-2005, 11:48 PM
I'm curious as to what jurisdiction the "Homeowners Association" has, and why this is not a violation of freedom of expression.

T Park
05-23-2005, 11:50 PM
I apologize for such a classless remark.

Should not have been said, as much as I disagree with pooh.

Once again, hopefully I can be forgiven, it was not meant seriously, it was said in a moment of non thought.

pooh
05-23-2005, 11:50 PM
H.B. Zachary has a large banner hanging from a giant crane along I-35. That can be a little distracting, but luckily it's not a large one though. But I dont think you should fly a Spurs flag on a pole with the American flag below it.

3rdCoast
05-23-2005, 11:51 PM
I'm curious as to what jurisdiction the "Homeowners Association" has, and why this is not a violation of freedom of expression.\

I think all home owners assc. have a set of rules that are agreed to upon moving in. Its just like you might not be able to keep your grass high or you might not be able to put a toilet in the front yard or park a RV or trailor in your driveway overnight. There are rules.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Bless the homeowners association. Too many flags hanging along buildings and homes as is..it distracts drivers. Well done.

Pooh, I mean this in the nicest, most polite way: quit being such a prick.

If it was a Pacers flag you'd be sitting on your scooter in front of the guy's house with hairy palms.

pooh
What I wouldnt give to beat the living shit out of you.

Haha...bite me.

3rdCoast
05-23-2005, 11:52 PM
What I wouldnt give to beat the living shit out of you.

So are you for tackyness in your neighborhood?

T Park
05-23-2005, 11:52 PM
H.B. Zachary has a large banner hanging from a giant crane along I-35

dont like it?? Dont look.

Fuck off.

pooh
05-23-2005, 11:53 PM
Pooh, I mean this in the nicest, most polite way: quit being such a prick.

If it was a Pacers flag you'd be sitting on your scooter in front of the guy's house with hairy palms.

Nope, that's where you're wrong.

T Park
05-23-2005, 11:54 PM
So are you for tackyness in your neighborhood

im for anyone flying the flag they want.

This is america, and its typical dickweeds like the Homeowners ass, that love to be russians.

Period.

Kori Ellis
But I dont think you should fly a Spurs flag on a pole with the American flag below it.

Were they flying a Spurs flag above the American flag?

T Park
Nope, that's where you're wrong

true youd be humping the pole with your darth vader mask on.

3rdCoast
05-23-2005, 11:55 PM
im for anyone flying the flag they want.

This is america, and its typical dickweeds like the Homeowners ass, that love to be russians.

Period.

Now, I do not mean this, but hang in there with me.

If I lived across the street from you and had a huge flag that said "I hate TPARK AND WISH HE WOULD DROP DEAD RIGHT NOW.", you wouldn't care?

Seriously, I am just wondering.

pooh
05-23-2005, 11:57 PM
true youd be humping the pole with your darth vader mask on.

Oh so that was you doing that. Make sure you grease the pole before doing that TPark.

T Park
05-23-2005, 11:57 PM
you wouldn't care?

Seriously, I am just wondering

your right.

but i doubt anyone would care who "T Park" is.

Go ahead, its America. Its a freedom that my forefathers died for.

T Park
05-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Oh so that was you doing that

no im not the forum dork that couldnt tell the difference between a basketball and a rim, but try to act like a know it all.

Im also not the one writing a goddamn science fiction novel, that would be you Darth.

So, nope not me Mrs Miller.

3rdCoast
05-23-2005, 11:59 PM
Guess its just a diffence in opinion. I think flags should be allowed but there also should be restrictions. I know that I would not want tackyness to overtake my area.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-23-2005, 11:59 PM
"I hate TPARK BISHOP AND WISH HE WOULD DROP DEAD RIGHT NOW.", you wouldn't care?

Are you really trying to compare flying a Spurs flag in San Antonio to displaying a banner that says you hate someone?

3rdCoast
05-24-2005, 12:00 AM
no im not the forum dork that couldnt tell the difference between a basketball and a rim, but try to act like a know it all.

Im also not the one writing a goddamn science fiction novel, that would be you Darth.

So, nope not me Mrs Miller.

Whos writing a science fiction novel?? We got a George Mcfly here?

3rdCoast
05-24-2005, 12:01 AM
Are you really trying to compare flying a Spurs flag in San Antonio to displaying a banner that says you hate someone?

He said a flag that said anything. so i gave an example of anything.

Kori Ellis
Can someone answer my question ... what was the scenario ... were they flying a Spurs flag above an American flag on a pole like Pooh said?

T Park
I was just gonna say that aggie, but you know those kind of people.

Love to be selective with the rights of americans.

I think flags should be allowed but there also should be restrictions

so a guy flops a Spurs flag up for a couple weeks, and thats tacky???

MORON ALERT!!!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:02 AM
Whos writing a science fiction novel?? We got a George Mcfly here?

That would be Pooh.

Pooh McFly,

he did say something about it being his "density"

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:02 AM
BTW, 3rd coast, Id apreciate if youd edit out my last name.

Id apreciate that thanks.

Kori Ellis
05-24-2005, 12:03 AM
Well the bottomline is that if they agreed to the Homeowner's Association Rules when they moved in... and those rules said No Flags. Then they shouldn't be flying a flag. But if it was something undefined like "No tacky stuff in front of your house" then there's room for interpretation.

3rdCoast
05-24-2005, 12:03 AM
Yea, it is tacky. If I pay 400K for a house in Stone Oak I do not want any trailors, RV's, 18 wheelers, or anything else that is obstructive and not in good taste. A small flag?Yes, put it up, but a huge banner that someone missed a few meals to buy- then no, i do not want that in my area.

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:04 AM
If I pay 400K for a house in Stone Oak I do not want any trailors, RV's, 18 wheelers, or anything else that is obstructive and not in good taste.

nice that youd also get to decide that for someone else.

Freedoms?? Adios......

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:05 AM
Well the bottomline is that if they agreed to the Homeowner's Association Rules when they moved in... and those rules said No Flags. Then they shouldn't be flying a flag

agreed.

3rdCoast
05-24-2005, 12:06 AM
400K buys plenty. Everything has a price, including freedoms.

Money buys more than physical possesions.

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:08 AM
400K buys plenty. Everything has a price, including freedoms

afraid to tell ya skippy.

Your money doesnt buy a right to infringe on MY freedoms.

3rdCoast
05-24-2005, 12:09 AM
It may not buy "the right" to, but the end result will say otherwise.

pooh
05-24-2005, 12:09 AM
That would be Pooh.

Pooh McFly,

he did say something about it being his "density"

It's not Pooh McFly....more like something you will never do in your life TPark. And yes, I admit to not not everything or all about basketball, nor do I care to. I don't sleep with the rule book, study salary caps, etc. I just watch and enjoy.

scott
05-24-2005, 12:11 AM
Sounds like it's probably the situation Kori just described. HOA says no flags. Since its the playoffs, the HOA decided to bend a little bit and allow it...

Crazed Spurs fans react by wishing they could beat each other up over the internet.

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:12 AM
more like something you will never do in your life TPark

true, I wont get a coloring book published, you got me.

3rdCoast
EVERYONE has a different way of seeing it. I am not in the situation so I do not know, but rules are rules.

MaNuMaNiAc
H.B. Zachary has a large banner hanging from a giant crane along I-35. That can be a little distracting, but luckily it's not a large one though. But I dont think you should fly a Spurs flag on a pole with the American flag below it.
LOL You Americans are SO damn complicated, no offense. Everything has a double meaning with you people. I don't get what the problem is with having a Spurs flag ABOVE an American flag, its just stupid to DEMAND people to wave flags a CERTAIN way just because of freakin nationalism. You preach the US is the country that stands for freedom, and yet you had all these little things in your culture that CONTRADICT the shit out of that statement. "You're FREE to wave any flag you want A LONG AS its not ABOVE our precious national flag". Don't get me wrong, I'm all for national pride, but I'm also against taking it TOO far.

3rdCoast
true, I wont get a coloring book published, you got me.

Pooh published a coloring book?

scott
05-24-2005, 12:13 AM
afraid to tell ya skippy.

Your money doesnt buy a right to infringe on MY freedoms.

Said the man who cried because non-season ticket holders got bobbleheads and he didn't...

pooh
05-24-2005, 12:14 AM
Well as Kori said, if you know the rules first hand...you should abide by them, period. I know there was a guy who lived nearby Lackland AFB flew an Israeli flag in the front of his house for a few months, then suddenly it was taken down.

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:14 AM
no, its called a joke dude.

LOL You Americans are SO damn complicated, no offense. Everything has a double meaning with you people. I don't get what the problem is with having a Spurs flag ABOVE an American flag, its just stupid to DEMAND people to wave flags a CERTAIN way just because of freakin nationalism. You preach the US is the country that stands for freedom, and yet you had all these little things in your culture that CONTRADICT the shit out of that statement. "You're FREE to wave any flag you want A LONG AS its not ABOVE our precious national flag". Don't get me wrong, I'm all for national pride, but I'm also against taking it TOO far.

yeah and were still the best goddamn country in the world.

Bite us.

3rdCoast
05-24-2005, 12:15 AM
Alright. Lets all agree to disagree. Cool. Enough about the flags.

Lets talk about the Pooh coloring book that was published. Whats the deal with that?

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:15 AM
Said the man who cried because non-season ticket holders got bobbleheads and he didn't

wanna explain the revelance to that infringing on my freedoms???

Theres a difference skip.

But, why should I argue, your "Know everything" attitude supercedes us all.

Everyone bow before Scott the almighty.

pooh
05-24-2005, 12:16 AM
Pooh published a coloring book?

No, Tpark is still in the coloring book and denial stage. I wrote a novel. I just completed the second one in the series. I've already begun writing down stuff for the third book at the moment.

3rdCoast
05-24-2005, 12:18 AM
No, Tpark is still in the coloring book and denial stage. I wrote a novel. I just completed the second one in the series. I've already begun writing down stuff for the third book at the moment.

You got a website or somewhere where I can get more in depth info?

Kori Ellis
05-24-2005, 12:18 AM

You don't have to like it. But I believe there's a law stating that you can't fly another flag above the American flag on the same pole.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-24-2005, 12:21 AM
yeah and were still the best goddamn country in the world.

Bite us.
See, I never said your country was bad, I just criticised your tendency to over react when it comes to nationalism. We here have major problems too, noone is going to argue otherwise. But its still very stupid to IMPOSE a certain sentiment of belief on someone when the culture is predicated upon freedom. Again not trying to be offensive, so please don't answer back with stupid posts like TParks over here.

I wonder, is it alright for someone to have say another country's flag above an American flag? Just curious

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:21 AM
wave flags a CERTAIN way just because of freakin nationalism

just saw this.

Its called, respect for the flag. Its called having pride, and love for your flag, for your country.

Yeah, so were patriotic, were hard core on that.

Well guess who is number 1 bucko.

There is a law stating that, and Im in full support of it.

But, go ahead and desecrate the good old light blue and white flag, because, well, ya know, nationalism, and patriotism is "stupid"

According to you guys.

scott
05-24-2005, 12:22 AM
I don't think they even have to be on the same pole, Kori. In a series of poles, I believe the American flag has to be of equal height or higher according to the law... at least that is what I remember from days of flag duty in HS.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-24-2005, 12:23 AM
You don't have to like it. But I believe there's a law stating that you can't fly another flag above the American flag on the same pole.
Ofcourse, I know. I don't live in the US, all I'm saying is, doesn't it seem a little hypocritical? to force people to wave the American flag ABOVE everything else?

scott
But its still very stupid to IMPOSE a certain sentiment of belief on someone when the culture is predicated upon freedom.

Welcome to American Sociology my friend.

Kori Ellis
I wonder, is it alright for someone to have say another country's flag above an American flag? Just curious

No. Not in America.

(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above, or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided, That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the headquarters of the United Nations.

http://www.treefort.org/~rgrogan/web/flaglaw.htm

T Park
See, I never said your country was bad, I just criticised your tendency to over react when it comes to nationalism. We here have major problems too, noone is going to argue otherwise. But its still very stupid to IMPOSE a certain sentiment of belief on someone when the culture is predicated upon freedom. Again not trying to be offensive, so please don't answer back with stupid posts like TParks over here.

It is a law, the American flag goes above all others.

DOnt like it??

Good, we have enough american haters in this country as it is.

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:24 AM
Welcome to American Sociology my friend

Yeah it just sucks to be an American.

Kori Ellis
05-24-2005, 12:24 AM
I don't think they even have to be on the same pole, Kori. In a series of poles, I believe the American flag has to be of equal height or higher according to the law... at least that is what I remember from days of flag duty in HS.

Read my post above. If it's on separate poles, then the US Flag has to be to the far right.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-24-2005, 12:25 AM
But, go ahead and desecrate the good old light blue and white flag, because, well, ya know, nationalism, and patriotism is "stupid"

According to you guys.
No, T Park you've got all wrong. Patriotism is NOT something that should be ENFORCED! Its something you FEEL. If you ENFORCE it then whats the point?

scott
05-24-2005, 12:26 AM
Yeah it just sucks to be an American.

You are the only one who has said as much in this thread.

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:27 AM
Patriotism is NOT something that should be ENFORCED! Its something you FEEL

agreed.

But there is also rules for this so that there is RESPECT for the flag.

Not just patriotism and pride.

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:28 AM
ou are the only one who has said as much in this thread

welcome to american sociology...

yeah, that was just dripping with patriotism there...

scott
05-24-2005, 12:29 AM
Funny American legal quarks:

Does this mean you have to take your flag and all others off the pole before burning it?

MaNuMaNiAc
05-24-2005, 12:30 AM
No. Not in America.

http://www.treefort.org/~rgrogan/web/flaglaw.htmI see... interesting.

It is a law, the American flag goes above all others.

DOnt like it??

Good, we have enough american haters in this country as it is.
Dude, I'm not even going to argue with you anymore, Its imposible to have an intelligent conversation with someone who is always feeling attacked. I DON'T HATE AMERICANS IDIOT! Why are you so damn paranoid. Kori read my point of view and answered it for what it was, an opinion on an ideal. I may disagree with some parts of the US ideology, THAT DOESN'T MEAN I HATE AMERICANS YOU IGNORANT PRICK.

scott
05-24-2005, 12:31 AM

It wasn't dripping with anything other than the fact that American sociology is complex and sometimes hypocritical. The fact that you are inferring that I am unpatriotic for engaging my first ammendment rights pretty much validates my statement.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-24-2005, 12:34 AM
agreed.

But there is also rules for this so that there is RESPECT for the flag.

Not just patriotism and pride.
I agree, and I also would regard say, burning the national flag as an insult. Ofcourse there should be limits to these rules of respect. But I understand that if you're living in the US then one should abide by their rules and respect their customs, I was just curious

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:35 AM
THAT DOESN'T MEAN I HATE AMERICANS YOU IGNORANT PRICK.

starting out paragraphs,

with, man you americans,

uh, yeah, that means you have something against us.

Bite me.

It wasn't dripping with anything other than the fact that American sociology is complex and sometimes hypocritical. The fact that you are inferring that I am unpatriotic for engaging my first ammendment rights pretty much validates my statement.

Its complex, yeah, hypocritical??? Up to debate.

No, your unpatriotic for spewing typical, Yeah, were american, were stupid arent we,

wich was your intention to your response to Manuamericanhater.

Its imposible to have an intelligent conversation with someone who is always feeling attacked. I DON'T HATE AMERICANS IDIOT! Why

Attacked?? no. Loving to rip up my country and how hypocritical we are and making fun of our patriotism???

Yeah, im gonna let that slide.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-24-2005, 12:36 AM

Do you HONESTLY believe patriotism is something that should be ENFORCED on every aspect of American life?? because if so, you're just sad.

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:37 AM
agree, and I also would regard say, burning the national flag as an insult. Ofcourse there should be limits to these rules of respect. But I understand that if you're living in the US then one should abide by their rules and respect their customs, I was just curious

I agree, burning the flag should be outlawed , if it isn't, immediately.

scott
05-24-2005, 12:37 AM
I agree, burning the flag should be outlawed , if it isn't, immediately.

It isn't.

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:38 AM
Do you HONESTLY believe patriotism is something that should be ENFORCED on every aspect of American life?? because if so, you're just sad

no, but it should be taught into kids growing up to have pride, and patriotism in your country.

But if teaching that into kids is enforcing it?? Ok yeah.

Force someone to fly the flag?? No I wont. WOuld I love everyone to do it?? hell yeah.

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:39 AM
It should be.

It disgusts me that someone would be allowed to desecrate such a piece of americana.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-24-2005, 12:44 AM
starting out paragraphs,

with, man you americans,

uh, yeah, that means you have something against us.

Bite me.

Its complex, yeah, hypocritical??? Up to debate.

No, your unpatriotic for spewing typical, Yeah, were american, were stupid arent we,

wich was your intention to your response to Manuamericanhater.

Attacked?? no. Loving to rip up my country and how hypocritical we are and making fun of our patriotism???

Yeah, im gonna let that slide.I have to say, I always wondered what it would be like to talk to someone SO dumb and ignorant as you T-park. Its been... enlightning. I was hoping I wouldn't find your kind in here, but it seems you IGNORANT fucks are everywhere. Thank god most Americans aren't like you, or at least I hope they aren't, I sincerely do. You bring a whole new meaning to the word THICK!

scott
05-24-2005, 12:45 AM
I have to say, I always wondered what it would be to talk to someone SO dumb and ignorant as you T-park. Its been... enlightning. I was hoping I wouldn't find your kind in here, but it seems you IGNORANT fucks are everywhere. Thank god most Americans aren't like you, or at least I hope they aren't, I sincerely do. You bring a whole new meaning to the word THICK!

Most of us are a very friendly, open minded people.

It's just that, like in all countries, the ignorant are the loudest and draw the most attention.

3rdCoast
05-24-2005, 12:46 AM
See, while I respect everyones opinions, I dont think TPARK is that bad of a dude, I have not met the dude yet, but I bet hes cool.

Guys like TPARK just get real touchy on the American subject, as do I. I am extremely patriotic and agree with all that jazz, but I also agree that no one should be enforcing it.

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:47 AM
always wondered what it would be to talk to someone SO dumb and ignorant as you T-park

no problem.

Apreciate it. Sucks being an american, I got it.

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:49 AM
Guys like TPARK just get real touchy on the American subject, as do I. I am extremely patriotic and agree with all that jazz, but I also agree that no one should be enforcing it.

I agree too, look at my one post, I agree no one should be FORCED to be patriotic.

But, there is a difference between that, and rules to RESPECT the flag.

Thanks for sticking up for me, one of the very very few that would.

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:49 AM
Most of us are a very friendly, open minded people

yeah, im so horrible.

Bite me.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-24-2005, 12:50 AM
no problem.

Apreciate it. Sucks being an american, I got it.
Oh, I get it!! You're messin wit me! aren't ya? It was a joke, I get it now. Has to be!:rolleyes

3rdCoast
05-24-2005, 12:50 AM
I agree too, look at my one post, I agree no one should be FORCED to be patriotic.

But, there is a difference between that, and rules to RESPECT the flag.

Thanks for sticking up for me, one of the very very few that would.

Rules to respect the flag. Right on brother, right on.

T Park
05-24-2005, 01:02 AM
well, I mean, I dont want a law saying at 8 o clock you fly the flag blah blah blah, thats part of free speach, no i dont have to fly the flag, ok cool dude whatever.

But, I think there should be rules and laws to RESPECT the flag, because IMO, the flag is a reflection of the country itself, and if you desecrate the flag, your in a way, desecrating the country.

I hope your still with me 3rdcoast lol.

3rdCoast
05-24-2005, 01:05 AM
well, I mean, I dont want a law saying at 8 o clock you fly the flag blah blah blah, thats part of free speach, no i dont have to fly the flag, ok cool dude whatever.

But, I think there should be rules and laws to RESPECT the flag, because IMO, the flag is a reflection of the country itself, and if you desecrate the flag, your in a way, desecrating the country.

I hope your still with me 3rdcoast lol.

Couldn't have said it better bro. You nailed it.

T Park
05-24-2005, 01:07 AM
for that??

Im rootin for shaq lol.

3rdCoast
05-24-2005, 01:09 AM
HaHaHa - after tonight, any support is welcomed.
Now I am just trying not to go to sleep cuz I know I will be having nightmares of last years finals. :pctoss

Taco
05-24-2005, 08:27 AM

Are we having a difficult time walking and chewing gum at the same time again?

:lol

Yea, being tacky is not good.

I agree if the Spurs Flag is still up in July that is tacky but this is the playoff's Nothing wrong with showing Spurs Sprit.

Homeowners Associations need to stick to sending letters about overgrown lawns and such..

Were they flying a Spurs flag above the American flag?

No it is not

Well the bottomline is that if they agreed to the Homeowner's Association Rules when they moved in... and those rules said No Flags. Then they shouldn't be flying a flag. But if it was something undefined like "No tacky stuff in front of your house" then there's room for interpretation.

The associations letter stated that the homeowner by hanging the flag is, "Get this" advertising for the Spurs.

The homeowner reaction was, what about signs in peoples yards "Vote for ____ _____ for Mayor" and home security signs in front of their houses isn't that advertising?

The Association agreed to allow him to hang his flag until after the playoffs are over

samikeyp
05-24-2005, 08:34 AM
The American Flag represents an entire nation and national pride, the Spurs flags represent SA and their fans and are not a national symbol.

The Spurs are a source of civic pride and represent this city. So in San Antonio, there should be no problem with flying Spurs flags.

samikeyp
05-24-2005, 08:36 AM
Yea, it is tacky.

In your opinion. Others may not share that.

spurster
05-24-2005, 09:00 AM
I think all the rules about the flags are recommendations or suggestions, not the law, at least not in the sense you will go to jail for it.

FromWayDowntown
05-24-2005, 09:01 AM
I love that TPark began this thread screaming about personal freedoms of expression being sacrosanct, only to proclaim, more recently, that some forms of free expression (flag burning) should be wholly outlawed.

By the way, as to the Homeowner's Association, a homeowner has no First Amendment rights, because the First Amendment generally doesn't apply in private contexts. It's why your boss can fire you for saying certain things without violating the Constitution and why the Spurs can throw out unruly pricks who say ridiculous things at games. If the City of San Antonio was coming in and telling people what they could and could not fly in front of their homes, there would be a Constitutional issue, but until the government gets involved -- until there is some form of state action -- there is no First Amendment concern.

T Park
05-24-2005, 09:45 AM
I love that TPark began this thread screaming about personal freedoms of expression being sacrosanct, only to proclaim, more recently, that some forms of free expression (flag burning) should be wholly outlawed

There is a difference between free expression, and desecrating the flag.

Come on lib use some common sense.

GoSpurs21
05-24-2005, 10:20 AM
H.B. Zachary has a large banner hanging from a giant crane along I-35. That can be a little distracting, but luckily it's not a large one though. But I dont think you should fly a Spurs flag on a pole with the American flag below it.you're pathetic, by your logic all signs and advertisements are the cause of accidents

maybe you cant consentrate on driving with all the destractions but most of the rest of us can

williemoonshine
05-24-2005, 10:33 AM
If we can put up "vote for pedro" signs during elections, and majority never get taken down... there should be no reason a flag of any kind can go up.

LilMissSPURfect
05-24-2005, 10:33 AM
sorry to join this discussion late but just reading the last couple of posts :

regarding freedom of speech and expression and all that cool stuff we take advatage of everday.

does our freedom or rights as U.S. citizens allow us to hang the U.S. flag upside down, inside out, blackened, colored, torn or burned?

IMO i think they answer is yes...we can do anything and everything we choose as long as it doesn't physically hurt anybody else.

wether we should do it is another question .

T Park
05-24-2005, 10:37 AM
we can do anything and everything we choose as long as it doesn't physically hurt anybody else.

wether we should do it is another question

in other words we COULD do it.

But we WONT do it.

FromWayDowntown
05-24-2005, 11:01 AM
You say you can't make people be patriotic, but you can make them respect the flag -- my point is this: if you hold the flag out as the utmost symbol of our nation, what better means of expressing contempt is there than burning that symbol?

Look, I don't like the fact that people want to burn the flag, but I understand that in a constitutional republic that holds individual freedom to be important above all else, the idea that the government could tell me that I can't express disdain by certain particular acts is anathema.

Burning the flag is an extreme form of expression -- meant to convey contempt for our government, those who populate its positions, or the policies that those people enact. Burning the flag also doesn't harm any other person (unlike, say, obscenity). You can't have true freedom of expression if you curtail the rights of individuals to express themselves, even when their chosen form of expression doesn't hurt anyone. That's the point. It would be like arbitrarily making a rule that people couldn't use a particular word to express themselves -- it just doesn't work uner the First Amendment.

Spurminator
05-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Great observations by Manumania in this thread. Props.

Prosecuting flag burners would be no different than a Middle Eastern country prosecuting a Quran flusher. Let's not go down that road.

LilMissSPURfect
05-24-2005, 11:19 AM
in other words we COULD do it.

But we WONT do it.

yep

Taco
05-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Hey Guys.....

Go Spurs Go!!!!

Useruser666
05-24-2005, 12:37 PM
My 7 cents on this thread.

I don't believe there are any "laws" dealing with flying the United States flag. There are guidlines and procedures to follow that are generally followed to show respect. If there are any laws, I'd like them to be pointed out to me, including the level of governing body they relate to. I don't think there are even city codes or restrictions that deal with flags.

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/texasflag.asp

We must begin by pointing out the nature of the "laws" that apply to the display of the U.S. national flag. Although the federal government has an established flag code, the provisions of that code are not laws in the sense that they create regulations which one must follow or be subject to criminal penalties. Flag codes are simply codifications of tradition and etiquette regarding how, when, and where national and state flags should be displayed, and how one should act in order to show proper respect for those flags. That is, flag codes are advisory guidelines about how flags should be displayed and respected, not enforceable rules mandating how they must be displayed and respected — the codes prescribe what is proper, not what is legal. (Or, in the words of the federal government: "The Flag Code does not prescribe any penalties for non-compliance nor does it include any enforcement provisions, rather it functions simply as a guide for voluntary civilian compliance.") The federal flag code does not authorize the government to dispatch G-men or police to arrest persons who allow their flags to touch the ground, display flags upside-down or backwards, or fail to destroy old flags "in a dignified
way."

The federal flag code prescribes that when the U.S. national flag is flown along with state flags, the national flag should be given the position of superior prominence. This means that:

* When the United States national flag is flown on the same halyard as a state flag, the national flag should be at the peak.

* When the national flag and a state flag are flown on separate staffs, the flag of the United States of America should be flown to the right (to the flag's own right, or to the observer's left) of the state flag, and from a staff of equal or greater height.

* When the national flag and a number of state flags are grouped and displayed from staffs, the flag of the United States of America should be at the center and at the highest point of the group.

* When the national flag is carried in a procession with other flags, the national flag should be carried on either the right-hand side of the line of flags or in front of the center of that line.

* When the national flag is displayed with another flag against a wall with crossed staffs, the national flag should be on the right (the flag's own right) and its staff should be in front of the staff of the other flag.

* When the national flag and one or more state flags are flown from adjacent staffs, the flag of the United States should be hoisted first and lowered last.

So, as long as other positional guidelines of the flag code are observed, any single state flag may be flown at the same height as the U.S. national flag (although the state flag may optionally be flown at a lower height as a show of deference to the national flag). Nothing in the federal flag code specifies exceptions for the Texas flag or any other state flag, nor does Texas' own flag code create or acknowledge any such exceptions. In fact, the Texas state flag code follows the federal flag code in all respects where the flying of the national flag and the Texas state flag together are concerned:

SUBCHAPTER B. DISPLAY OF STATE FLAG

§ 3100.055. Display on Flagpole or Flagstaff With Flag of United States

(a) If it is necessary for the state flag and the flag of the United States to be displayed on the same flagpole or flagstaff, the United States flag should be above the state flag.

(b) If the state flag and the flag of the United States are displayed on flagpoles or flagstaffs at the same location:

(1) the flags should be displayed on flagpoles or flagstaffs of the same height;
(2) the flags should be of approximately equal size;
(3) the flag of the United States should be, from the perspective of an observer, to the left of the state flag;
(4) the flag of the United States should be hoisted before the state flag is hoisted; and
(5) the state flag should be lowered before the flag of the United States is lowered.

While the Lone Star flag is certainly special to Texans, nothing in federal law makes it more special than any other state's flag.

Last updated: 29 July 2003

Now about homeowners associations.

I agree that HOA can serve a valuable service to communities. The problem with them lies in the amount of power they can be given to enforce their will on their constituency. They can be corrupt as a city council. The elected members of the associations can often take out personal vendettas out on their neighbors, without recourse for the victim. Politics can pervert people into doing acts of egotistical malice towards their neighbors.

A bill had been purposed in Texas senate that would have limited HOA power in way that allowed neighbors to settle their differences well before people lost homes in legal actions. I think a better balance is needed between HOA protecting their communities and the property rights of the home owner.

And Pooh, stop being such a dick about Spurs flags. WTH do you expect in San Antonio? And saying flags are a distraction is a joke.

Hook Dem
05-24-2005, 12:41 PM
"And Pooh, stop being such a dick about Spurs flags. WTH do you expect in San Antonio? And saying flags are a distraction is a joke." ...............I'll bet he wouldn't have a problem with it if it were a Pacers flag!

MannyIsGod
05-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Man, I'm glad I stayed out of this thread untill now.

nkdlunch
05-24-2005, 03:02 PM
"This thread is like a box of chocolates. I didn't know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised." - The Devil :devil

pooh
05-24-2005, 03:04 PM
"And Pooh, stop being such a dick about Spurs flags. WTH do you expect in San Antonio? And saying flags are a distraction is a joke." ...............I'll bet he wouldn't have a problem with it if it were a Pacers flag!

I would think twice about doing it, if you're asking. And we already covered this subject in this thread...read please, thank you.

Some flags are a distraction to others on the road. Remember the guy who flew the confederate flag that hovered over some of I-10?

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-24-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm proud to live in a country where people are free to express themselves in whatever manner they choose, provided it does not offend, deface or create a situation that might decrease values of surrounding properties.

Useruser666
05-24-2005, 03:14 PM
You shouldn't have a drivers license if you are distracted by a Spurs flag off the side of the road.

MadDog73
05-24-2005, 03:15 PM
I would think twice about doing it, if you're asking. And we already covered this subject in this thread...read please, thank you.

Some flags are a distraction to others on the road. Remember the guy who flew the confederate flag that hovered over some of I-10?

Yeah, the Spurs flag is a known symbol of racism and brutality..... :rolleyes

Pooh, it's just a Spurs flag. BTW, is there a link to the actual story? It seems we've gotten off on a serious tangent.

pooh
05-24-2005, 03:17 PM
Kori asked several times if there actually was a link to this story, but no one has posted it yet.

baseline bum
05-24-2005, 04:22 PM
The correct answer to this question is:

Who gives a shit? This is why I hate watching the news. It's always stupid bullshit like this instead of real discussion about important issues.

cherylsteele
05-24-2005, 06:30 PM
I'm sure in some neighborhood, somewhere, someone has been told to take that down.

I in fact remeber not too long ago a story of just this type...a local Home owner's assoc told a resident to remove a flag.....am I the only one who remembers this?

cherylsteele
05-24-2005, 06:31 PM
\

I think all home owners assc. have a set of rules that are agreed to upon moving in. Its just like you might not be able to keep your grass high or you might not be able to put a toilet in the front yard or park a RV or trailor in your driveway overnight. There are rules.

Much like an Apt. Complex not allowing clutter or other things on a patio or landing area.

cherylsteele
05-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Guess its just a diffence in opinion. I think flags should be allowed but there also should be restrictions. I know that I would not want tackyness to overtake my area.

Would you call a Miami Heat flag tacky?

Just curious if you are singling out the team and not just because it is a flag.

cherylsteele
05-24-2005, 06:43 PM
Most of us are a very friendly, open minded people.

It's just that, like in all countries, the ignorant are the loudest and draw the most attention.

Kinda like a drunk in a bar.

cherylsteele
05-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Hey T Park...

I just noticed....did you change you avitar to Brent Barry and take out Rasho??

Just curious.

SequSpur
05-24-2005, 07:26 PM
Spurs flags are for bandwagoners.

E20
05-24-2005, 07:29 PM
Seriously it's a flag if you give me some money I'll shit on the flag in a sidewalk!!!

Taco
06-06-2005, 07:58 AM
I put my Spurs Flag up on my house this weekend!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!

B.AlMighty
06-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Home Owner Associations are a rip-off and just another "tax".

I get tons of emails about HOA's everyday.

ObiwanGinobili
06-06-2005, 08:20 AM
wow.
i just read this whole post.
It was interesting becasue I'm not patriotic (i know a very dangerous thing to say, don;t shoot me).
A.) didin't realize there were so many laws on the books about our flag. that nust've taken alot of legislative time.
B.) some people get overly incensed.
C.) other people state things in a way that make those 1st people get overly incensed.

over all though, a very eduactional, entertaining thread. I missed out yesterday becasue I was at little league all day. So it was nice to have a good long thread cal;ling out to me on monday morning.
:smokin

GopherSA
06-06-2005, 09:42 AM

There was movement in the state supreme court this past week that struck down the ability of homeowners associations to regulate political signs in the yards of residents.

I'm not sure if the Spurs flags fall into that category, but it seems to me that the HOAs (we have a weak one in my subdivision) are losing some of their power to regulate what people do in their yards.

Dan Rather
06-20-2005, 04:42 AM
any updates on this story?