PDA

View Full Version : Duncan,Maybe the Mountain that Phoenix can't climb!

SPURSCHAMPS
05-23-2005, 09:41 AM
Duncan might be too much to overcome

By SCOTT BORDOW

East Valley Tribune (Mesa, Arizona)

PHOENIX - There's a boxing adage that applies to the Western Conference finals.

A good big man beats a good little man every time.

San Antonio has Tim Duncan, Phoenix doesn't, and that more than anything explains the Spurs' 121-114 victory in Game 1 Sunday.

An oversimplification, you say?

Did you watch the fourth quarter, I say?

Duncan had 11 of San Antonio's 43 points in the final period, he finished with 28 points and 15 rebounds, and his kick-out pass to Brent Barry for a 3-pointer with 4:47 left gave the Spurs a five-point lead they never relinquished.

It was a tour de force from the NBA's most subtle superstar, and unless Duncan's gimpy ankles betray him in the next week, the Suns are in a world of hurt.

"That's why they win championships," Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni said. "He could be the best player in the game."

There were other subplots that emerged in Game 1.

Shawn Marion deserves hazard pay. He's being guarded by Bruce Bowen, who finished second in defensive player of the year balloting, and he's trying to guard Duncan.

The result: A playoff-low three points on 1-of-6 shooting.

Quentin Richardson's poor shooting continues to hurt the Suns. He made just 1-of-5 3-point attempts, and the call for Joe Johnson just got louder.

Then there were D'Antoni's interesting postgame comments. For the first time this postseason, doubt creeped into his consciousness.

He sees the big picture: The Suns may have had the NBA's best regular season record, but San Antonio is the league's best team.

"Hopefully it will be a long series," he said. "We have some growing up to do."

D'Antoni thought the Suns didn't compete hard enough on some key possessions - "We have to give to the point of exhaustion," he said - but effort didn't doom the Suns.

Duncan did.

"We've got to come up with a different game plan for him," Richardson said.

Unfortunately for Phoenix, there's not a game plan Duncan hasn't seen or solved.

D'Antoni elected to have Steven Hunter play Duncan one-on-one for most of the fourth quarter, and while Hunter stood tall, he still couldn't stop Duncan from hitting 5-of-8 shots.

"He's not a Hall of Fame center for nothing," Hunter said.

The Suns were reluctant to run a second defender at Duncan because he's so good at finding teammates for open shots. But letting Duncan have his way in the paint is suicide. Phoenix has to take the ball out of his hands and hope San Antonio's shooters miss. If Barry can continue to make 5-of-8 3-point attempts, well, the Suns will just have to congratulate the Spurs and make their vacation plans.

"We have to make it tougher on Tim then build out because he's their best player," Jim Jackson said.

One game does not a series make, but the worst fears of Suns fans were confirmed Sunday.

Phoenix is not going to rattle San Antonio like it did Dallas, if for no other reason than the Spurs' basketball IQ is about 100 points higher.

San Antonio is smart, disciplined and, as its 43-point fourth quarter attests, it can beat Phoenix at its own game.

That's a scary thought and so is this: The Suns are now 0-7 against the Spurs the past two seasons when Duncan has played.

"Tim really puts a ton of pressure on our defense," Steve Nash said. "That's going to be the case the rest of the series. So we can't make mental mistakes, we can't not get loose balls. We've got to try and limit as many offensive rebounds as we can.

"Do all the other things so that the pressure he puts on us isn't insurmountable."

Even if the Suns play the perfect game, however, they have to deal with the perfect player.

Duncan may be the one mountain Phoenix can't climb.

LilMissSPURfect
05-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Thank you JESUS for blessing the SPURS with TIMMY!

:elephant :elephant

johnny00
05-23-2005, 10:33 AM
Damn.

From what I've read from this thread and a few others today the Phoenix media don't give the Suns much of a chance.

Does the team feel the same?

T Park
05-23-2005, 10:43 AM
i hope the Suns feel that way.

If the Spurs can beat em tuesday??? This series could be a quick one.

boutons
05-23-2005, 11:20 AM
"He could be the best player in the game."

Sorry, Bill Walton said, uh "bombastically overstated", that Steve Nash was the Best Player in the NBA.

boutons
05-23-2005, 11:24 AM
"there's not a game plan Duncan hasn't seen or solved."

False. Fronting Duncan relentlessly (not the way the Suns did yesterday) and/or muscling him out of the low block, like Malone did last May, and/or clogging/sagging the paint all have been successful tactics against Tim. Not every team can execute those tactics, but those than can usually find success.

I don't think the Suns have the defensive experience and orientation to handle Tim.

2centsworth
05-23-2005, 11:27 AM
I guess 41pts 9rebs is chopped liver for a center/power forward these days.

TDMVPDPOY
05-23-2005, 11:31 AM
You got link to page??

nice article

"he could be best player in the game"

wtf is coangelos definition of the best player?? i dunno wat fuckin shit his eatin or been seeing but TD is the best player in the league

MiNuS
05-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Damn.

From what I've read from this thread and a few others today the Phoenix media don't give the Suns much of a chance.

Does the team feel the same?

very diferrent from the Denver and Seattle Newspapers.Especially Denver.They were nasty!

Phoenix News has basically folded. I mean it's pretty obvious the Suns can't play the Spurs at 85%.Imagine the SPurs @ 100%!

TDMVPDPOY
05-23-2005, 11:40 AM
A healthy duncan and role players like brown n rasho back into the game = sweep :D

AZLouis
05-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Phoenix media is pretty good at giving fair stories about the other stars in the league.

Pretty much the feel here is that the Suns can beat the Spurs, if you've seen D'Antoni's comments after the game you would know the Suns remain confident.

The Spurs had an amazing 4th quarter scoring 43 points and won by 7. People forget the Suns scored 32 in that quarter. Marion and Q were basically non existent in their performance and game 2 hopefully will be their turnaround.

Just as the Suns really don't have much of an answer for TD, the Spurs do not have one for Amare. The point guard match up favors Nash but Parker did pretty good.

The series will be decided by forward and reserve play. Marion and Q didn't produce and the Spurs bench did.

azcentral.com and the Mesa Tribune are good sites to get articles for coverage of the game if you are interested in reading what the other side has to say.

MadDog73
05-23-2005, 12:48 PM
Don't Tim and Amare cancel each other out?

Same with Nash and Parker?

So, that leaves Manu. Who cancels out Manu for the Suns? No one. Manu is the one I'd be afraid of in Game 2, NOT Tim. Tim will get his points. But what if Tony and Manu get theirs too?

Mr Dio
05-23-2005, 12:53 PM
The Suns are now 0-7 against the Spurs the past two seasons when Duncan has played

Any word on how AZ feels about the Spurs' 1st team?

AZLouis
05-23-2005, 01:05 PM
There are plenty of intangibles in this series. Manu, Shawn Marion, Q, Barry, Jim Jackson, Robert Horry.

Amare and Nash will get theirs. Unfortunately Marion had a very off night. What if he gets his too? Too many what ifs.

The Suns did something they haven't really done all year. They shot only 15 3s in game 1. They average 24 on the season and 22 in the playoffs. They also let the Spurs shoot over 30 free throws. That usually doesn't happen too often.

The Suns dominated the Mavs in free throws and 3 pointers. Given the events of game 1, it's not hard believe the Suns can't do it in this series either.

Mr. Dio, I feel good about the Suns chances in this series.

Visit goazcats.com if you want to see what the Suns fans think.

boutons
05-23-2005, 01:09 PM
"They shot only 15 3s in game 1"

BS. In the Dec 28 blowout @SBC, Suns were 4/12 3Gs.

The Spurs league-best 3G defense discourages 3Gs.

What TF else was stopping PHX from bombing away yesterday like they usually do?

Although Pop said the chameleon Spurs play whichever way the opponent wants to play, the Spurs obviously had the Suns playing a very un-Suns Game1.

Mr Dio
05-23-2005, 01:14 PM
I had OVER 206.5 in game #1 & feel that #2 will be very close to that BUT possibly below. IF the scoring is much lower that can't bode well for Phoenix.

Ballcox
05-23-2005, 01:23 PM
I think this is where the road as the #2 seed really starts to pay off for the Spurs. We've had some incredibly tough, physical type series in the first two rounds and have really been battle tested with both the 1st and 2nd round wins. Phoenix, on the other hand, hasn't really had those tough/physical grind it out series yet. If you want to make that phantom flagrant foul on Stackhouse into the definition of a physical series, sorry, doesn't work for me. That was a legitimate blocked shot where Johnson tried to hang on to the rim and injured himself. The Suns really haven't had to stretch themselves too much with their games, and playing a 7 games series against the 'soft' Mavs can't begin to compare to the type of physical play/defense the Spurs bring to the table. I think our previous experience in the playoffs showed up big time in game 1, and it will continue to come into play throughout this series.

Yes, Phoenix is a talented team, but also a team comprised of a number of guys who haven't made it that far in the playoffs. Every round in the playoffs represents a huge jump in intensity, physical play and the need to execute without mistakes at critical points in the game. I just don't see Phoenix as having the background or necessary experience to pervail in this type of situation.

respect the 'fro :fro

AZLouis
05-23-2005, 01:33 PM
The Suns shot only 15 3s in game 1 of THIS series. I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear, I assumed we were discussing this playoff series.

The Spurs perimeter defense had a lot to do with the Suns not shooting so many 3s. Simple. I'm sure the Suns will work to change that.

The Suns got to play their style of game. Hence the score. The Spurs beat them at their own game.

ladiesman
05-23-2005, 01:52 PM
He's not a Hall of Fame center for nothing," Hunter said.

Son, He is a PF...

DDS4
05-23-2005, 01:53 PM
That's a scary thought and so is this: The Suns are now 0-7 against the Spurs the past two seasons when Duncan has played.

Wow. Didn't know that.

That's a little ownage right there.

boutons
05-23-2005, 01:55 PM
More relevant, Suns are 0-3 THIS season vs a Duncan-ful Spurs.

CrazyOne
05-23-2005, 02:02 PM
Side note: AZ, we enjoy hearing from other fans... at least, when they actually talk the game. Enjoy your time here (even if it only lasts 4 games!) :lol

AZLouis
05-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Side note: AZ, we enjoy hearing from other fans... at least, when they actually talk the game. Enjoy your time here (even if it only lasts 4 games!)"

That's funny and you are right, I'll be gone after this series. It's good to get the other guys perspective in the playoffs.

spurster
05-23-2005, 03:27 PM
They also let the Spurs shoot over 30 free throws.
It was the low 20s before the Suns started fouling at the end.

Edit: Make that 10 FTs for the Spurs in the last minute of play vs. 2 for the Suns. The Spurs ended up with slightly more FTS 31-29.