PDA

View Full Version : Spurs interested in Varejao?

Yorae
11-08-2010, 04:35 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/20877/love-frustrated-by-lack-of-love

Look at the bottom....is this legit?

Yorae
11-08-2010, 04:40 AM
Found a similar thread. Delete if needed be. I just found out this one...

DespЏrado
11-08-2010, 04:41 AM
Spurs are always listed as an interested team, Teams or Agents just use the Spurs to drive prices up. Really it usually means nothing, and this probably isn't an exception.

Yorae
11-08-2010, 04:44 AM
I just hope there ain't a connection with the way Blair is playing....

ThaBigFundamental21
11-08-2010, 04:58 AM
I really hope not, I don't want that idiot anywhere near the Spurs' team.

Chieflion
11-08-2010, 05:41 AM
He is a good defender, rebounder and hustle guy and has great hands. And he is by no means any form an idiot on a basketball court.

Texas_Ranger
11-08-2010, 05:42 AM
Do the Cavs need a big who can shoot some threes?

spurspokesman
11-08-2010, 06:07 AM
He is a good defender, rebounder and hustle guy and has great hands. And he is by no means any form an idiot on a basketball court.

This. He just has a nose for the ball. He would be a gift to our spurs. He gave us hell every time we played them.

hsxvvd
11-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Two Brazilian big men?

Besides isn't he on about 10mil a yr? who'd be trade for that? No thanks.

mountainballer
11-08-2010, 06:53 AM
the similar rumor was from Oktober. so this is either referring to this old report, or it's a sign that some talks (or acquisition effort from some teams) are continuing.
it wouldn't be surprising, if the Spurs are involved. it just makes a lot of sense.
defense is the problem area of this team and defense is what Varejao offers.
add the good experience with players from south America and the advantage of already having a player from Brazil and it's easy to see that the Spurs like him.
at an average of 8M per his contract is somehow reasonable for a big man of his quality and even the multiple years left are no longer a deal breaker, considering that with the long term re signing of Manu, Tony and RJ the Spurs more or less dumped the option to rebuild via free agency in 2012. (if Tim retires).

question is, what could be the price.
Dice would be part of the package, his contract is the only that can make the numbers work. (question is, does he want to go to Cleveland. could turn into a buy out. he knows the procedure). plus Gee and Temple and the numbers work. but that's just the numbers.
Spurs 2011 1st rounder will be the minimum to sweeten the deal, but likely still not enough. if the Spurs bid against the Blazers, they will need to beat a better package. Blazers will likely offer their 1st rounder plus one or two of their youngsters. like either Babbitt, Johnson, Cunningham. (if they offer Batum they get Varejao in half a second. but Blazers won't do this). Blazers might even offer Oden.

so Spurs will need to add either Hill, Anderson or Blair to that package.
(Anderson might be the most intriguing for them, considering their future needs)
I know, we will read a ton of posts that claim that Dice plus some 2nd rounders are enough, but that's not how it works.
I don't try to say that the Spurs SHOULD do this trade. just that this will likely be the price.
what Spurs should do in any case, is to at least try to acquire Varejao. if they want to compete against this highly impressive Lakers, they will need more size and mobility to get a chance against Gasol and Odom. Varejao is as good an option to go against Gasol as any player in the league.

mountainballer
11-08-2010, 07:02 AM
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/anderson-varejao-chosen2.jpg
http://www.basketbrasil.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/lebron-varejao-media-day.jpg

and he is funny. sort of.

buttsR4rebounding
11-08-2010, 07:20 AM
The article just says since Ferry was with the Cavs and is now with the Spurs that SA is also a team that MIGHT be interested. There is no way the Spurs do this. First, Splitter is supposed to be Varejao on steroids once he gets into shape and learns the ropes. Varejao has $43 million left on his contract and will make $7.3 million this year. So that means giving up Dice plus fillers. Varejao does not have much offense away from the basket. Dice also showed how valuable he was guarding Dirk last year. This is a non-starter.

TJastal
11-08-2010, 07:38 AM
The article just says since Ferry was with the Cavs and is now with the Spurs that SA is also a team that MIGHT be interested. There is no way the Spurs do this. First, Splitter is supposed to be Varejao on steroids once he gets into shape and learns the ropes. Varejao has $43 million left on his contract and will make $7.3 million this year. So that means giving up Dice plus fillers. Varejao does not have much offense away from the basket. Dice also showed how valuable he was guarding Dirk last year. This is a non-starter.

This. I wouldn't give up Dice even straight up for Varajao, for a number a reasons, not the least of which being a dirty slap in the face to a guy who deserves to retire a spur and with dignity.

And as butts4rebounding mentioned Splitter is supposed to bring defense in much the same manner as Varajao, once he becomes acclimated. So that brings nothing extra to the table (whereas Dice gives the spurs a precision shooter from the elbows).

Replacing McDyess with Varajao really does nothing to "fix" the main problem, which is quite frankly the defense of the other bigs, named Dejuan Blair & Matt Bonner.

tuncaboylu
11-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Do the Cavs need a big who can shoot some threes?
Do you have a name in your mind ? :lol:lol:rollin

AussieFanKurt
11-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Although this trade won't have, always good to speculate. Dice is playing well as he can at this stage of his career but obviously Blair is underselling himself but its early in the season lets be honest

Bruno
11-08-2010, 07:58 AM
I don't see at all Spurs taking another player with a big contract.

Texas_Ranger
11-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Varejao really's got a big contract. It's almost like RJ's contract.
If the Spurs would like to have him I can only see Dice and Bonner get traded...I wouldn't mind that, but the Cavs are not that dumb. They already are in some deep shit and Dice, who will retire after this year and Bonner don't really help them.

yavozerb
11-08-2010, 08:32 AM
I was gonna say the same thing, talks about varejao start and end with his contract.

Spursfanfromafar
11-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Pros: Aggressive hustle defense and good to guard a PF. Savvy player who makes the team better.
Cons: $33 million due in 4 years starting now + Trade Kicker .. Not quite a shot blocker. Was a super flop against Dwight Howard.

I think trading McDyess for Varejao does not make sense. I would trade McDyess only to get a tall shot blocker in return. Or get a super wing who can defend.

I think McDyess still has a lot of value where he plays for us now. Plus as an expiring and attractive contract next year, he would be very useful.

I would most rather want Splitter to come on his own in the upcoming months and strengthen interior defense to keep the Spurs within a chance to win it all; than getting Varejao with the contract that he has.

galvatron3000
11-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Would be a good pickup minus the contract but need to keep Dyess on the team. If you get rid of dyess then you still have the same issue with lack of size on the team, Bonner or Blair would have to be moved or else why bother unless it's someone who can really put you in the upper echelon

ElNono
11-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Do not want...

Sausage
11-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Looks like it would take a package of Bonner and McDyess to get him according to the Trade Machine. PASS.

#2!
11-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Would be a good pickup minus the contract but need to keep Dyess on the team. If you get rid of dyess then you still have the same issue with lack of size on the team, Bonner or Blair would have to be moved or else why bother unless it's someone who can really put you in the upper echelon

If the spurs could manage to find a trade package involving Bonner and/or Blair for Varejao then I think that could put them in that top tier. Having 4 big men who can defend well is exactly what this team needs to go up against LA. What we have now at the 4/5 only amounts to a little more than a shot in the dark of being able to stay in front of, and out work Odom/Gasol/Bynum on the boards.

mountainballer
11-08-2010, 09:59 AM
none says Dice is without value for this team.
he played as good as we could ever have hoped.
question is: is the 36 years old Dice as valuable for this team like an all NBA defense player in his prime could be?
my answer is NO. not even close.
Varejao might not have the strength to guard Howard, but he is exactly the right man to guard Gasol, Odom, Dirk, Aldridge, West, Scola. in other words: all those guys you don't really want to be guarded by old Dice. (especially in a PO series after a long season).

and yes, Tiago will help on defense and he is the more talented player overall. but he won't be able to play the level of defense Varejao offers (maybe in 2 years) AND he will be in foul troubles a lot more than most realize right now.

kidd_91
11-08-2010, 10:05 AM
doesn't Dice have a big trade kicker? Unless he's on board for the trade I don't see the Spurs doing that to him.

baseline bum
11-08-2010, 10:07 AM
I'd hate to lose Blair, but the Spurs really need some defenders on this team, and Varejao could be really helpful on that front. Plus, watching a Varejao/Dirk matchup in the playoffs would be priceless.

TJastal
11-08-2010, 10:10 AM
question is: is the 36 years old Dice as valuable for this team like an all NBA defense player in his prime could be?
Varejao might not have the strength to guard Howard, but he is exactly the right man to guard Gasol, Odom, Dirk, Aldridge, West, Scola. in other words: all those guys you don't really want to be guarded by old Dice. (especially in a PO series after a long season).

and yes, Tiago will help on defense and he is the more talented player overall. but he won't be able to play the level of defense Varejao offers (maybe in 2 years) AND he will be in foul troubles a lot more than most realize right now.

So the truth of the matter is.. despite all the hype, Splitter won't help much for another two years. Fuckin' great.

#2!
11-08-2010, 10:21 AM
So the truth of the matter is.. despite all the hype, Splitter won't help much for another two years. Fuckin' great.

actually that's just an opinion.

Splitter's defense will help this team immensely this season, but I still don't think that's enough to take down LA's frontline. The Lakers are the reigning 2x champs and every team in the western conference looking for a shot at the finals must consider them with every personnel decision.

I don't want to move Dice b/c he is one of our solid big defenders, the point is to add another not keep the same number. Varejao's defensive level is likely (only likely b/c I have somehow managed to not see a cavs game this year) above Antonio's so it might be a good move even if Dyess was the trading chip. But the best route for the Spurs would be to find a way for Varejao to take Bonner's or Blair's spot.

yavozerb
11-08-2010, 10:29 AM
The best trade rumor I have seen going around is for corey brewer. He would fit in well I think and would not break the bank for the spurs.

Spursfanfromafar
11-08-2010, 10:30 AM

Fair point.

But I think McDyess was quite good against Nowitzki and was quite proficient in the games that mattered (late last season and playoffs). The numbers didn't say it - Dirk made some ridiculously tough shots and was magical, but that was despite McDyess playing in your face and strong defense throughout. I think Dice has one good year in the tank and is reliable.

Agree that Varejao is a great hustle player and good against PFs, but his contract is *prohibitively* expensive ($33mil locked in dollars till 2014 + trade kicker) and I would like to have a shot blocker to go along with Duncan, which he is not.

Yes. I hope that his learning curve is more steeper and quicker.

TJastal
11-08-2010, 10:35 AM
The best trade rumor I have seen going around is for corey brewer. He would fit in well I think and would not break the bank for the spurs.

For who, Bonner?

Mark in Austin
11-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Setting aside contract size for a second, I always had the impression Varejao had a bad case of ADHD. Does he actually have the mental capacity to excel in the Spurs system and playing for a coach like Pop?

TJastal
11-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Setting aside contract size for a second, I always had the impression Varejao had a bad case of ADHD. Does he actually have the mental capacity to excel in the Spurs system and playing for a coach like Pop?

Half of Varajao's effectiveness was being Lebron's teammate for years, so the pandering refs would give him the benefit of the doubt on 90% of his flops.

If he was a spur he would be assessed a foul 3 out of 4 times.

mountainballer
11-08-2010, 10:46 AM

? he played for the very coach, who learned coaching from Pop and who installed a defense system similar to Spurs. and in this system varejao became an all NBA defender. why shouldn't he be able to learn Pop's system?

99-03-05-07
11-08-2010, 10:47 AM
we don't really have any room in the rotation for varejao. having to find time for duncan, blair, mcdyess, splitter, and bonner, iffy rumor

#2!
11-08-2010, 10:49 AM

Forget who his coach was for every year of his career up until now? Brown might not be fiery like Pop, but I doubt their defensive schemes were too far off.

The Spurs would not trade for him so he can be apart of the offense, it is a defensive upgrade, and a large one.

#2!
11-08-2010, 10:51 AM
we don't really have any room in the rotation for varejao. having to find time for duncan, blair, mcdyess, splitter, and bonner, iffy rumor

One of them would be traded (bonner, blair, mcd). :wakeup

99-03-05-07
11-08-2010, 10:53 AM
One of them would be traded (bonner, blair, mcd). :wakeup

true, but not all 5 of our posts have been healthy all at once

kobyz
11-08-2010, 10:56 AM
with Splitter on the team this rumor make no sense!

TJastal
11-08-2010, 10:58 AM
with Splitter on the team this rumor make no sense!

I know. But according to spurstalk sources, Splitter won't be ready to contribute for another two years.

TJastal
11-08-2010, 11:00 AM
I don't understand why the rockets aren't mentioned as an interested party, they've got Yao's expiring deal to utilize and many needs to fill presently.

TJastal
11-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Something along the lines of Jamison + Varajao for Yao, would save the cavs a shit-ton of money.

mountainballer
11-08-2010, 12:14 PM
I know. But according to spurstalk sources, Splitter won't be ready to contribute for another two years.

says who?

Lizard
11-08-2010, 12:26 PM
I would not want to see Blair moved, not with his contract.

DJB
11-08-2010, 12:36 PM
I really hope not, I don't want that idiot anywhere near the Spurs' team.

You're ignorant and foolish. Period. :toast

DynastySpurs210
11-08-2010, 01:23 PM
I believe the spurs don't event have throw in dice and Blair for him. They"ll probably throw the second rounder and some cash or maybe some one from over seas like nando.

Leonard Curse
11-08-2010, 02:38 PM
blair is still rebounding alright for us and helps with keeping the ball alive the thing is we got used to blair playing stellar so we forget he was a second rounder with little to look forward to. i think if we give blair time he'll come around and be hell out there.

once he shakes this rust off imagine if we see him start getting close to 20/20 games again?? this team will be damn hard to beat. but andy is a good pickup as well. we should not trade dice hes more important to this team than i think 99% of spurs fans realize hes out there when the games on the line and he always delivers. now once a good amount of time has passed and even if blair has played alright, i see us trading blair which is really sad but andys stats are 9.8pts 10.8reb 2.2 ass and +18.80%eff thats a consistent double double player.

for all of you doubting tiago remeber tiago outplayed andy on every level nationally so them being equal stature splitter>andy (broader shoulders/strength) i know tiagos stats will be better than andys

Leonard Curse
11-08-2010, 02:40 PM
*edit
i see the spurs trading blair once an ample amount of time has passed without seeing 20/20 blair potential! i say we pull the trigger.

hater
11-08-2010, 02:41 PM

x1000

FailureNotAnOption
11-08-2010, 02:42 PM
I am a fan of Varejao. I am not a fan of his contract, or the pieces such a move would demand.

UnWantedTheory
11-08-2010, 03:00 PM
I do love me a rumor.

Blackjack
11-08-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm with mountainballer on the rationale, and it'd be a no-brainer if 'Dyess will inevitably be bought out.

The comparisons between Splitter and Varejao are fair, to a degree.

I've mentioned in the past that Splitter is the white-collar player to Varejao's blue. He's a more talented player, as in he's got more offensive skill, but Varejao has that get-under-the-skin grit and reckless abandon to do the dirty work on another level -- he's also a little quicker and lighter on the feet mobility-wise (not that Splitter's immobile or a slouch).

Varejao's an established top of the line frontcourt defender, so he obviously helps in that aspect more now than Splitter could. All players new to the league have to establish a rapport with the officials and an understanding of what they can and can't do or get away with.

And if you're looking at a post Duncan era, one in which the team will be revolving around Parker (most likely), you've gotta pay someone. And if they find themselves paying two players like Splitter and Varejao a combined total that's less than or equal to what Duncan's been getting paid individually, doesn't seem that much of a stretch to do.

I'd really feel bad if 'Dyess didn't finish his career in SA, though. In the unlikely event this does actually happen, I really hope he finds his way back to the Spurs after a buyout.

99-03-05-07
11-08-2010, 04:11 PM
keep blair, don't trade him.

galvatron3000
11-08-2010, 04:26 PM
If the spurs could manage to find a trade package involving Bonner and/or Blair for Varejao then I think that could put them in that top tier. Having 4 big men who can defend well is exactly what this team needs to go up against LA. What we have now at the 4/5 only amounts to a little more than a shot in the dark of being able to stay in front of, and out work Odom/Gasol/Bynum on the boards.

I agree and I wish the Spurs could pry Darko from the Twolves for Bonner which would be great too

HarlemHeat37
11-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Varejao would be an amazing fit for the Spurs..

He's one of the best defenders in the NBA, and more importantly, he would fill a need defensively..while a lot of people here seem to want big C/shot blockers, there's a good chance that a guy like that wouldn't fit..Duncan isn't mobile enough to guard PFs anymore, he primarily guards C and the rim..the Spurs need a big man that can defend the pick and roll and defend mobile big men in the 15-foot area to the rim..

Varejao is very mobile, he would add some speed to the frontcourt..he also brings a lot of energy, which the Spurs lack..offensively, he's one of the best big men at slashing to the basket, which would obviously be useful on a team with passers like Parker and Ginobili..

Having Splitter is nice, but Varejao is obviously more established..what's wrong with having depth?..his contract would be the only issue..if the Cavs wanted Blair, it's a no-brainer..McDyess as well..the financial part would be the only question..

DPG21920
11-08-2010, 08:22 PM
I would like Andy, but giving up Dice and Blair? That is too much imo. Especially if this early season Dice is the Dice we are going to get all year.

11-08-2010, 08:28 PM
i don't see this happening.

1. getting varejao would probably put the spurs over the luxury tax because they are currently just scraping the bottom of the luxury line.
2. would require trading mcdyess and blair. blair currently wouldn't be much of a loss especially if the spurs get a big like varejao back. but mcdyess provides spacing with his reliable jumper, rebounds well, and plays veteran defense. mcdyess is too much of an asset to give away right now for varejao.

ashbeeigh
11-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Yet no one has said anything about wearing the Varejo wig to the game. I would rock the wig at the games.

http://www.nba.com/media/cavaliers/pod_060330_01.jpg

itzsoweezee
11-08-2010, 09:32 PM
He has no offensive skills whatsoever. No thanks.

itzsoweezee
11-08-2010, 09:32 PM

BanditHiro
11-08-2010, 09:42 PM

who fucking gives a shit we need his defense not his offense...and he is not totally inept on offense

DAF86
11-08-2010, 09:43 PM
For right now, I would definitely do a Varejao for Blair swap.

DAF86
11-08-2010, 09:44 PM
I wouldn't give up Dice though.

HarlemHeat37
11-08-2010, 09:46 PM
I wouldn't give up both Dyess and Blair, I was just saying..

I'm a big fan of Dice, so I don't know if I'd do it, but I just love Andy's game, and I think he would be perfect for the Spurs..

DPG21920
11-08-2010, 09:49 PM
I agree, but it is virtually impossible trade wise.

HarlemHeat37
11-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Oh, I don't expect to get him, I actually didn't even read the OP, I just saw his name and looked at some comments..

Way too early for trade talk anyways..

Yorae
11-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Trade bonner + gee + picks? No way the spurs trade blair or dice. Please.

Duncan2177
11-09-2010, 12:39 AM
I would love to see Varejao in the silver and black that guy is all energy and hustle.

mountainballer
11-09-2010, 06:04 AM
Varejao would be an amazing fit for the Spurs..

He's one of the best defenders in the NBA, and more importantly, he would fill a need defensively..while a lot of people here seem to want big C/shot blockers, there's a good chance that a guy like that wouldn't fit..Duncan isn't mobile enough to guard PFs anymore, he primarily guards C and the rim..the Spurs need a big man that can defend the pick and roll and defend mobile big men in the 15-foot area to the rim..

Varejao is very mobile, he would add some speed to the frontcourt..he also brings a lot of energy, which the Spurs lack..offensively, he's one of the best big men at slashing to the basket, which would obviously be useful on a team with passers like Parker and Ginobili..

Having Splitter is nice, but Varejao is obviously more established..what's wrong with having depth?..his contract would be the only issue..if the Cavs wanted Blair, it's a no-brainer..McDyess as well..the financial part would be the only question..

Harlem, once more breaking ST rules!
to many reasonable points for one post.

btw. Varejao's offense. people look at his stats and his reputation as a hustle player and automatically conclude: no offense game whatsover.
which is wrong.
I don't want to claim he will be mistaken with Dirk anytime soon. but he definitely does have more potential on offense than given credit. playing alongside a 30 PPG scorer on the other forward spot for his whole career and usually paired with a scoring big (Z, Gooden, Shaq, Jamison) naturally limits the options to catch the attention on offense. but what he does, he does quite efficient and outside shooting he can score in different ways. it's not that he was just another Jeff Foster on offense. (for some teams he likely could have averaged about 12PPG.)

Leonard Curse
11-09-2010, 06:49 AM
Harlem, once more breaking ST rules!
to many reasonable points for one post.

btw. Varejao's offense. people look at his stats and his reputation as a hustle player and automatically conclude: no offense game whatsover.
which is wrong.
I don't want to claim he will be mistaken with Dirk anytime soon. but he definitely does have more potential on offense than given credit. playing alongside a 30 PPG scorer on the other forward spot for his whole career and usually paired with a scoring big (Z, Gooden, Shaq, Jamison) naturally limits the options to catch the attention on offense. but what he does, he does quite efficient and outside shooting he can score in different ways. it's not that he was just another Jeff Foster on offense. (for some teams he likely could have averaged about 12PPG.)

dammit i know Harlem you pretty much persuaded me with those very strong points. im thinking with my heart though and i think even the spurs F.O is at this point. when it comes to antonio mcdyess's retirement of course if they waive him it'll be a no brainer! however they probably wouldnt seeing that the cavs are coached by byron scott but i guess ya never know !!??
and yeah the more i think about andys 6'11'' defense the more i want the guy! if we had splitter and varejao whoooo that would be some damn defense down low my friend :sombrero:

galvatron3000
11-25-2010, 07:34 AM
I agree and I wish the Spurs could pry Darko from the Twolves for Bonner which would be great too

Well after last night it would take more than a prying attempt.

TJastal
11-25-2010, 07:42 AM
Funny how before he signed, all spurs fans were yapping about was how Splitter was going to be the next Varajao on 'roids, and now that he's here, all they talk about is trading for Varajao. :lmao

Leonard Curse
11-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Funny how before he signed, all spurs fans were yapping about was how Splitter was going to be the next Varajao on 'roids, and now that he's here, all they talk about is trading for Varajao. :lmao

true true but its kind of grey seeing how pop sits him out for games at a time to never get in any sort of damn rhythm, and he is a better andy he just needs to play more ya know?

i mean ive never heard of bench stats, although i think if anyone would get em it would be bonner ha jk tiago will be that guy, he just needs to play

Pauleta14
11-25-2010, 11:34 AM

I'm a big fan of Dice, so I don't know if I'd do it, but I just love Andy's game, and I think he would be perfect for the Spurs..

The thing is you know what you lose with McDyess (reliable mid range JS, high IQ, spurs system knowlegdge, great teamate, great hustle...) and you don't know what you'll get (for sure) from Andy, except the hustle...

DieHardSpursFan1537
11-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Yeah losing Blair would be hard, but a bigger guy like Varejao would be nice.

Big P
11-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Keep Blair...no need for another pf now.

ohmwrecker
11-25-2010, 12:32 PM

Unless . . . the Cavs release McDyess and the Spurs pick him back up . . . otherwise, not a good trade and kind of a dick move.

ChumpDumper
11-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Funny how before he signed, all spurs fans were yapping about was how Splitter was going to be the next Varajao on 'roids, and now that he's here, all they talk about is trading for Varajao. :lmaoLooks like they talked about a lot more the last two weeks and not this.