PDA

View Full Version : Former Spur Sighting

jsandiego
11-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Was on my way home from an ER vet trip last night, and dropped by a Firehouse Subs to get some dinner to go. 4 or 5 guys were hanging out eating dinner and talking sports & basketball practices. At first I thought it was just some high schoolers or JC players. But as I sat down to wait for my sandwich, I look up and notice one of the guys has a Frisco Legends T-shirt on (that's the new NBA D-League team here in North Texas). Next to him was none other than Antonio Daniels. I'm assuming Antonio is a coach or scout for the team; I don't think he'd go back to play in the D-League :hat

Anyway, unfortunately I wasn't wearing a Spurs shirt or anything to strike up a conversation, so I let him be with his friends and didn't say anything to him. But I thought it was cool nevertheless that I spotted him up in my neck of the woods.
:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::flag:

Texas_Ranger
11-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Cool. I think Antonio plays for them cause he was selected in the NBA Development League draft in the second round by the Legends.

8FOR!3
11-08-2010, 01:52 PM
He does play for them now, as does Matt Rodgers (college stud, would be in the NBA but he was injured during his senior year) and Rashad McCants. Plus Don Nelson's son owns the team lol. And they named their team on April 10th, my birthday. My dad lives in Frisco lol, have to catch a game when I go there for Christmas if there are any.

jeebus
11-08-2010, 01:55 PM
man, I was hoping this thread was about shawnelle scott

jsandiego
11-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Wow. I didn't think a long-time vet like Antonio would be in the D-League. The other guys were players too I'm sure; I just didn't recognize any of them.

8FOR!3
11-08-2010, 04:39 PM
He can't get on a team right now. He's at the point to where he's a borderline washed up has been/borderline NBA player. It's not his fault, just the way it is. I'm sure he'll dominate the D-League though at PG with his size.

METALMiKE
11-08-2010, 04:48 PM
is he still best buds with Tim?

Dex
11-08-2010, 04:50 PM
I wonder if Antonio still eats at Jim's.

spurs1990
11-08-2010, 04:57 PM
That's actually quite disheartening. An incredible devolvement when you thinkg about it.

How do you go from being the 4th overall pick in 1997 to a world champion to stumbling around a bush league expansion franchise in your mid-30's?

These guys really need to get their finances in order from the very beginning.

I'm glad the OP didn't acknowledge him lest the realization would have been conjured up to both of them.

boutons_deux
11-08-2010, 05:04 PM
"stumbling around a bush league expansion franchise in your mid-30's?"

no shame there. No NBA team picked him, so he _GOT A JOB_ with the NBDL, to stay in game shape, maybe he'll get called up.

Anybody know what the NBA/NBDL rules are for NBA vets in NBDL?

I saw an NBDL game in Austin a couple years ago, and some 30s NBA guy who played against the Spurs was on the team opposing the Toros.

jsandiego
11-08-2010, 05:06 PM
That's actually quite disheartening. An incredible devolvement when you thinkg about it.

How do you go from being the 4th overall pick in 1997 to a world champion to stumbling around a bush league expansion franchise in your mid-30's?

These guys really need to get their finances in order from the very beginning.

I'm glad the OP didn't acknowledge him lest the realization would have been conjured up to both of them.

Well hopefully he's got some money still banked somewhere and he's just trying to bide his time until he gets picked up as a free agent in the L. But such is the life of a mid-30s PG. He's had a long career; maybe he's transitioning into coaching or something, and using this as his springboard.

Rob123
11-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Antonio Daniels plays basketball every day at lifetime at 281 and 1604 around noon....

He's not that good, if you have a lifetime membership just show up around noon on a weekday if you want to play him.

He jacks up a lot of threes he doesnt have a chance of making and thinks he's the greatest player ever.

jsandiego
11-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Antonio Daniels plays basketball every day at lifetime at 281 and 1604 around noon....

He's not that good, if you have a lifetime membership just show up around noon on a weekday if you want to play him.

He jacks up a lot of threes he doesnt have a chance of making and thinks he's the greatest player ever.

Yeah, we had two guys on our rec league that "weren't that good" either. In reality, they were working out every morning with former Mav Derek Harper, and were set to go overseas or play in the D-League. Antonio Daniels, or any other pro baller, isn't gonna play 100% down at the gym. They are there to break a sweat, not break an ankle.

bigfan
11-08-2010, 10:56 PM
"stumbling around a bush league expansion franchise in your mid-30's?"

no shame there. No NBA team picked him, so he _GOT A JOB_ with the NBDL, to stay in game shape, maybe he'll get called up.

Damn straight.