PDA

View Full Version : SI Article: Manu and the Brooks Injury

BillMc
11-08-2010, 02:43 PM
I didn't see this anywhere else on here (sorry, if this is a repost).

Did Ginobili break buzzer-beater rule? (http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2010/11/08/did-ginobili-break-buzzer-beater-rule/)

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2010/11/08/did-ginobili-break-buzzer-beater-rule/

Seems to me a legit move by Manu, nothing dirty. But it is really too bad that it resulted in an injury.

FailureNotAnOption
11-08-2010, 02:46 PM
I love Manu, but trying to draw a charge on a half court heave? It was just unnecessary. Not a dirty move, but not entirely smart, either.

hater
11-08-2010, 02:47 PM
"Did Ginobili violate some unwritten code of player safety?"

file under retarded conspiracy theory of the day

hater
11-08-2010, 02:48 PM
I love Manu, but trying to draw a charge on a half court heave? It was just unnecessary. Not a dirty move, but not entirely smart, either.

why is that?

ChumpDumper
11-08-2010, 02:49 PM
How the hell is Manu supposed to know exactly when the buzzer is going to sound?

beachwood
11-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Manu is trying to win the game and it was not a dirty play at all. Unfortunate Brooks got hurt though.

Spursfanfromafar
11-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Load of nonsense.. A player tries to defend a circus shot by someone who is quite good at such shots from way outside the arc and he gets called for unintentionally causing injury because of lack of caution.

FailureNotAnOption
11-08-2010, 02:54 PM
why is that?

Primarily because he was too far away to do more than be in the general vicinity of the Brooks' landing zone. Manu's charge position did not affect the shot, and Manu was technically not even 'aligned' with Brooks' forward motion, and actually was standing to his side - so I'm not sure it would have been a charge even if Brooks barreled into him outright.

An unfortunate incident, and an accident, whatever Manu's intentions were.

BigVee
11-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Didn't look to me like he was trying to draw a charge, he just went into a freeze at the last second with his arms down to make sure the ref couldn't have whistled anything on him. Of course he should have contested it...how many have you all seen go in? Plenty.-

Leonard Curse
11-08-2010, 02:58 PM
he was in a "take charge" position not moving mind you and this moron jumps up and trys to fly into manu (hoping for a foul) or trying to get a foot closer to launch the ball and lands on ginobilis foot!!! he deserves this injury he needs to stop trying to make a half court shot and get a foul called on the opposing player at the same time. i saya he deserves it b/c im sure he started this dirty player BS

Indazone
11-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Typical Spurs defense. Nothing to see here.

Dex
11-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Why would a player defend a half-court heave?

The same reason one takes it in the first place.

It might go in.

FailureNotAnOption
11-08-2010, 03:05 PM
I think more emphasis should be put on Brooks making such a loooooong jump. Even for a halfcourt heave, he covered more than an average amount of hardwood.

Frankie23
11-08-2010, 03:13 PM
manu wasn't going for the charge, he was just putting his body in front of Brooks so as he shoots uncomfortable. After the shot, he didn't move cause if he moves and touches Brooks, it could be a foul. So you just stay where you are. Bad luck for Brooks, but there wasn't any dirty or improper action here. If teams have small chances to score from there and the rival shouldn't play D, why are they taking that shot anyway?

I wonder why are we talking about these play and nothing was said about Smith foul on George Hill..THAT was at least improper..

ddjeffries
11-08-2010, 03:15 PM
No dirty would have been Manu stepping into Brooks. Manu clearly kept his hands down to avoid a stupid foul and its an unfortunate injury. But it comes with sports, sometimes things just happen. Best of luck to Brooks with his recovery.

FailureNotAnOption
11-08-2010, 03:18 PM
gpwqIQaGFmg

Technically, Manu was still sliding when Brooks came down. Not his right foot, but sliding nonetheless. I can't be sure of whether Manu wanted to disrupt the shot or what, tbh. He clearly didn't want to cause injury which is why he abruptly went into a screen or charge position.

DesignatedT
11-08-2010, 03:28 PM
We saw Jason Kidd hit that same shot earlier this year. He was just playing the defense the way he knows how.

urunobili
11-08-2010, 03:33 PM
tough one to judge. Manu has had his share of ankle injuries but any rocketfan saying it was purposely done its just a butthurt idiot.. Get Well soon Aaron.

Obstructed_View
11-08-2010, 03:37 PM
If you're going to try to get free points, Manu's going to try to stop you. If you don't like that, wait until he's not in the game or dribble the clock out. As long as Ginobili has a pulse and is on the floor, he's going to try to beat you.

toki9
11-08-2010, 03:54 PM
i think the key is that the refs called a charge on Manu with only 1.6 seconds left--and the defender was in the circle (as Manu believed). Given that, Manu probably thought it was worth a shot to draw a charge and 2 free throws, thinking there was a chance that the refs would be consistent.

ALVAREZ6
11-08-2010, 03:59 PM
If you're going to try to get free points, Manu's going to try to stop you. If you don't like that, wait until he's not in the game or dribble the clock out. As long as Ginobili has a pulse and is on the floor, he's going to try to beat you.

:tu

Man In Black
11-08-2010, 04:33 PM
He meant to deter the shot, not injure the player. Basketball has it's share of unfortunate incidents that are accidental or just incidental parts of the game. I'm shocked Rox Fans didn't get pissed at RJ for KMart stepping on RJ's foot and spraining his ankle.

wildbill2u
11-08-2010, 04:40 PM
I didn't see this anywhere else on here (sorry, if this is a repost).

Did Ginobili break buzzer-beater rule? (http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2010/11/08/did-ginobili-break-buzzer-beater-rule/)

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2010/11/08/did-ginobili-break-buzzer-beater-rule/

Seems to me a legit move by Manu, nothing dirty. But it is really too bad that it resulted in an injury.

didn't we win by 3 points? If Manu's defense had any part in Brooks missing the shot, then he was obligated to do it. Case closed.

InRareForm
11-08-2010, 04:46 PM
NFL hit rule discussions seem to be rubbing off on nba plays now

Gutter92
11-08-2010, 04:48 PM
The reason he slid in there wasn't to try to injure Brooks..think about it this way

If you see a player is about to be in your way, you have 2 options: fuck up your motion on the shot to ensure a safe landing, or take the hit with your feet.

boutons_deux
11-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Aren't we used to Manu playing every millisecond, esp in crunch time and pressure plays?

I can see somebody else, like 99% of the NBA, spectating that play, but not Manu.

Dex
11-08-2010, 04:54 PM
I still don't get the big deal.

Was the clock running? Then Manu is allowed to defend his man.

Injuries happen all the time in basketball. This is another case of one that was unfortunate, but still unintentional, and just happened to take place at the buzzer.

Who ever got the idea half-court shots were open season? They are not good shots, but NBA players can make them, as evidenced by the Shooting Stars challenge they do at every All-Star Game.

GSH
11-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Another thing nobody mentioned is that Brooks was on a full run. When his feet left the floor, Manu was between 9 and 10 feet away from him. Manu is coming over to get in his way, and Brooks leaped from well short of the mid-court line. Look at how far he went in the air, while shooting that shot.

Manu is supposed to know that they guy's foot is going to come down nearly 10 feet away from where it left the court? That's not exactly a normal shooting motion, is it? You think he calculated how far the guy was going to fly, and knew exactly where to put his foot? Gimme a break.

Tp9gospursgo
11-08-2010, 05:40 PM

It might go in.

:toast

dbestpro
11-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Manu is about 10 feet away from Brooks when Brooks jumps and lands on Manu's foot. We wouldn't even make a call in street ball or 3 on 3 in a play like that. It falls under the category as "shit happens". It's like trying to find someone at fault because they got hit by lightning.

Man In Black
11-08-2010, 06:03 PM
You can challenge anything and it's not like he measured it all in 1 second to approximate where Brooks was going to fall. He just tried to deter the shot by being in the way. So, there was no malicious intent at all. On my replay, I clearly see Manu checking up on Aaron and offering support, so..in closing, in basketball that kind of stuff happens on every level.

Obstructed_View
11-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Another thing nobody mentioned is that Brooks was on a full run. When his feet left the floor, Manu was between 9 and 10 feet away from him. Manu is coming over to get in his way, and Brooks leaped from well short of the mid-court line. Look at how far he went in the air, while shooting that shot.

Manu is supposed to know that they guy's foot is going to come down nearly 10 feet away from where it left the court? That's not exactly a normal shooting motion, is it? You think he calculated how far the guy was going to fly, and knew exactly where to put his foot? Gimme a break.

Bruce did it night after night. I imagine that he showed Manu how to do it. The Spurs only win because they get other guys hurt, right?

ElNono
11-08-2010, 06:47 PM
:cry Manu bad :cry

:jack

superbigtime
11-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Unfortunate, I like Brooks and the Rockets. It looks like he barely touched Manu's foot if he did at all. He leapt so far that he may have rolled that ankle regardless of whether Manu was even there. He came down on that ankle very hard though. Any word on the extent of injury?

daslicer
11-08-2010, 07:00 PM
The injury was unfortunate but I doubt Ginobilli had the intent to harm.

GSH
11-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Bruce did it night after night. I imagine that he showed Manu how to do it. The Spurs only win because they get other guys hurt, right?

That's one of the strangest responses I've ever read. I seriously don't know if you totally mis-read what I posted, or you're trying to be ironic, or what.

I'll try to make it simpler for you:

Manu did not do it on purpose.
It was an unusual, and unfortunate play.
The Spurs are not a dirty team.
Bruce doesn't play OR work out with the team anymore.
Take your meds.

Obstructed_View
11-08-2010, 07:15 PM
That's one of the strangest responses I've ever read. I seriously don't know if you totally mis-read what I posted, or you're trying to be ironic, or what.

I'll try to make it simpler for you:

Manu did not do it on purpose.
It was an unusual, and unfortunate play.
The Spurs are not a dirty team.
Bruce doesn't play OR work out with the team anymore.
Take your meds.

Hey, "veteran", your sarcasm detecter's on the fritz. :toast

kaji157
11-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Manu did it that way to make sure a foul wasn´t called on him mainly, and because he sees brooks is being trapped by Hill so the charge is the right thing to look for.
And if you remember well the last time Manu actually challenged a half court shot it ended with chris paul shooting 3 freebies.
Too bad for Brooks.
The rox will take advantage of this if Lowry recovers soon because he and Ish Smith seem like much more cappable players at running their offense, Brooks is a 3pt shooter with none passing or defensive abilities.

ChuckD
11-08-2010, 07:39 PM

Some people need the blue text....

GSH
11-08-2010, 07:40 PM

Oops. Hee-haw. :donkey

(See, I'm admitting to being a jackass there. Just in case my sarcasm maker is on the fritz too.)

Obstructed_View
11-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Oops. Hee-haw. :donkey

(See, I'm admitting to being a jackass there. Just in case my sarcasm maker is on the fritz too.)

:lmao I was thinking, did I suddenly get too subtle? The answer was, of course, "naaaaah".

NFO
11-08-2010, 09:28 PM
How the hell is Manu supposed to know exactly when the buzzer is going to sound?

When clock is at 0.00 it usually sounds.

TDMVPDPOY
11-08-2010, 09:31 PM
according to which douchebag is that a hidden rule?

you play to win games not give out free shots

jag
11-08-2010, 09:33 PM

Pretty much

TwelveGs210
11-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Here we go again, dirtiest team in the league accusations, the sequel.

Quiet Strength
11-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Manu only tries to injure bats :downspin: but yeah seriously.. that was far from dirty. Manu was just trying to play the best defense he could without fouling. It sucks that brooks got injured but accidents happen.

ducks
11-08-2010, 11:12 PM
how many games has manu played in he should know:downspin:

HarlemHeat37
11-08-2010, 11:18 PM
how many games has manu played in he should know:downspin:

:lmao

crc21209
11-09-2010, 12:04 AM

It might go in.

This X 10000000. As long as that clock is running and the opposing team has the ball, you should try to defend EVERY shot. NBA players can make the shot any day, nothing wrong with trying to defend it.

Spur_Fanatic
11-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Manu plays with heart, never giving up...

And now that is a bad thing, according to some fans here.

Budkin
11-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Bunch of bullshit.

Cessation
11-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Manu was set up early for that charge, no dirty play here.

Jimcs50
11-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Yep, he just froze in place to make sure there would be no chance of a 3 pt foul. Unfortunate injury

Mr.Robinson
11-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Aren't we used to Manu playing every millisecond, esp in crunch time and pressure plays?

I can see somebody else, like 99% of the NBA, spectating that play, but not Manu.
Costs us the Mavs series in 06.

Spur_Fanatic
11-09-2010, 07:51 PM
1) I prefer Manu going ballistic and most of time somehow make it work, that just being someone else in floor, like a passive shit, waiting for someone else to take a risk.

2) Really? Manu turned that game around by himself.

3) Plus, had it worked, we would still be kissing his ass for that.

Obstructed_View
11-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Costs us the Mavs series in 06.

Yeah, all those minutes of Michael Finley at power forward had nothing to do with it. It's manu's fault for daring to play defense against Dirk with two seven footers watching from the Spurs bench for five games.

DaDakota
11-10-2010, 12:23 AM
As a Rockets fan, and a big AB supporter, I saw nothing wrong with what Manu did, just bad luck for Brooks.

DD

TJastal
11-10-2010, 12:37 AM
he was in a "take charge" position not moving mind you and this moron jumps up and trys to fly into manu (hoping for a foul) or trying to get a foot closer to launch the ball and lands on ginobilis foot!!! he deserves this injury he needs to stop trying to make a half court shot and get a foul called on the opposing player at the same time. i saya he deserves it b/c im sure he started this dirty player BS

this.

tuncaboylu
11-10-2010, 03:42 AM
How can you blame a player who is standing without moving in anywhere of the court. Is this a joke?

analyzed
11-10-2010, 04:59 AM
This is silly, Manu did what every good basketball would instinctly do, get to your man early and stop him from advancing. (basketball 101 stop the ball). But by the time he got close to brooks , Brooks jumps and takes the shot. (note Brooks sees the shot clock and situation while Manu is more concerned with defending). Now by the time Manu realizes that brooks is taking the shot, he stops ( to avoid not being called a foul, what else is he supposed to do, move away ? that's silly.) . It's just unfortunate brooks lands on Manu's foot. This situation is very different from not defending when a guy goes for a drive and making him land on you.

DrSteffo
11-10-2010, 07:57 AM
As a Rockets fan, and a big AB supporter, I saw nothing wrong with what Manu did, just bad luck for Brooks.

DD

Classy post :toast (And true).