PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Should Go After Erick Dampier

mingus
11-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Houston not going to sign him after all according to realgm.com. outside of a wing defender, i think this team can use another 7-footer. i think we should go after this guy.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-08-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm all for the Spurs getting more size, but at this point I don't think there will be enough minutes to go around.

If any 7 footer outside of Duncan is going to be getting big minutes I'm hoping it'll be Tiago.

ElNono
11-08-2010, 11:17 PM
35 years old, no offense and for the most part merely a low post banger. No thanks.

HarlemHeat37
11-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Spurs already have too many big men, Splitter isn't even getting enough minutes at this point..

Also, Dampier has already said that he would only sign with a team that would give him actual playing time..he wouldn't get playing time with the Spurs..

99-03-05-07
11-08-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm all for the Spurs getting more size, but at this point I don't think there will be enough minutes to go around.

If any 7 footer outside of Duncan is going to be getting big minutes I'm hoping it'll be Tiago.

my thoughts exactly, already have 5 big man(duncan, blair, mcdyess, splitter, and bonner) i don't see how we could add a 6th guy to the mix

DesignatedT
11-08-2010, 11:19 PM
I would be up for it if we didn't sign Splitter, but at this point I would way rather him get more minutes.

LeCrab
11-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Blair dominated dampier last year.... and dampier has no d at all.. pass

JR3
11-08-2010, 11:23 PM
I agree more minutes for splitter.

HarlemHeat37
11-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Dampier's actually still a solid defender, it's pretty much all he can do..

I bet Texas2Step will love this idea:lol..

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-08-2010, 11:25 PM
The Heat need to jump back on this.

LeCrab
11-08-2010, 11:26 PM
harlem have you seen the commercial where dampier turns away like a girl with chris paul coming at him.... his d is weak

dbestpro
11-08-2010, 11:27 PM
The roster looks pretty good as is. Signing Dampier would follow with a trade of Bonner or Dice for a more conventional backup point guard. Having said that I would not do anything to mess with the chemistry right now.

crc21209
11-08-2010, 11:47 PM
He'll go to the Heat for sure now...

eisfeld
11-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Hell yeah, and then the Spurs will trade Bonner for a big defensive backup wing :downspin:

No honestly, Duncan, Blair, Splitter, Dice, Bonner is a solid rotation, unless one goes down due to injury I don't see the Spurs signing another big. And even if this specific situation occurs, it would'nt be Ericka.

tuncaboylu
11-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Even Miami didn't want him, they're playing with Joel Anthony. He's old and very far from his good days.

TDMVPDPOY
11-09-2010, 01:26 AM
i sign him just to lol at the mavs if we meet them in the playoffs and sweep them

Leonard Curse
11-09-2010, 02:48 AM
if we have an injury or need to rest timmy a full game were screwd and not like dampier is going to be this offensive force but he can at least keep the post defended somewhat when we need that. if hes looking for major playing time he needs to start looking up flights to italy and go euro.

venitian navigator
11-09-2010, 02:54 AM
I'd prefer some young guy...that's happy to be on board and not asking for too much playing time.
A Barron or, now that he have seen that the situation is the soma in Dallas, a coming back of Mahinmi...(trading Tample or Gee or Quinn for him).

Leonard Curse
11-09-2010, 02:58 AM
all i know is if someone gets hurt and im talking minor injury it becomes a big deal really fast because the makeup of our rotaion. so it would be in our best interest and championship aspirations!! pull the damn trigger pop think about the matchup of us against L.A /boston's bigs

Indazone
11-09-2010, 03:00 AM
He's a career 7 pt 7 rebound guy. That can't be all that bad for the Spurs. Plus he's big and will clog up the lane.

UnWantedTheory
11-09-2010, 03:33 AM
all i know is if someone gets hurt and im talking minor injury it becomes a big deal really fast because the makeup of our rotaion. so it would be in our best interest and championship aspirations!! pull the damn trigger pop think about the matchup of us against L.A /boston's bigs

I do understand that part of the argument very much...but to get a 6th big who doesnt know the system and wont get much PT may not be the way to go atm. As much as I love Blair, Dice, and Bonner, they will limit the oppertunity of getting another big unless one or two were to go. I am terrified of the big lineups though. Blair is undersized, 36 year old Dice is only 6'9, and Bonner does not play 6'10 ball. Big holes compared to the Lakers and Celts. But there is simply no room for another big we would have to dish minutes to. This is a time where a Theo Ratliff would be nice. We either need to prove we can play with the big rotations, make a move, or hope Blair grows 4-5 inches.

Rito3d30
11-09-2010, 03:35 AM
I'm starting to worry about Tiago's strength
he always fall..../flop:hat

greyforest
11-09-2010, 05:00 AM
no.

jhuan16
11-09-2010, 05:13 AM
For minimum contract, yeah why not?

angelbelow
11-09-2010, 05:39 AM
If he agrees to the minimum and is willing to play limited/situational minutes then sure.

TDMVPDPOY
11-09-2010, 06:06 AM
we talkin about the self proclaimed no.2 center in the league here

admiralsnackbar
11-09-2010, 06:53 AM
Forgetting for a moment that Damp has been ineffective his entire career... what makes people think he'd be worth the paycheck and floor-time he expects?

Leonard Curse
11-09-2010, 06:58 AM
I do understand that part of the argument very much...but to get a 6th big who doesnt know the system and wont get much PT may not be the way to go atm. As much as I love Blair, Dice, and Bonner, they will limit the oppertunity of getting another big unless one or two were to go. I am terrified of the big lineups though. Blair is undersized, 36 year old Dice is only 6'9, and Bonner does not play 6'10 ball. Big holes compared to the Lakers and Celts. But there is simply no room for another big we would have to dish minutes to. This is a time where a Theo Ratliff would be nice. We either need to prove we can play with the big rotations, make a move, or hope Blair grows 4-5 inches.

im starting to wonder how valuable bonners role is becoming with neals impressive shooting, what do you guys think??

then we can take a much more traditional route in hitting our 3's and i know for a fact neal is going to come through during the playoffs i can just see it in his form/execution. im sure pops not thinking about this yet haha but if were getting no defensive stops in the post we have to do something bonners return will only make this worse

Leonard Curse
11-09-2010, 07:08 AM
we talkin about the self proclaimed no.2 center in the league here

:lol yup HEY he sure played defense on parker that one year! u guys remember him threatening to lay tp out if he kept driving it ?? hahaha we need that guy back!! no but honestly at least he can keep shaq out of the paint (wait can he?)

ok looked up some stats and if he played for 20minutes hed be a 6pt 7reb 1block per game 7' foot fat :domokun man in the paint now i dont know about you but id like to have that as a back up thats alot better than ratliff! and if we told him to not worry about scoring just D up and grab rebs i think it would be worth it (short fix) wait a sec does he have a drew gooden IQ? crap lets get andy

rmt
11-09-2010, 07:13 AM

This is why I hated the re-signing of Bonner. I'd much rather have a Ratliff or Dampier or any legit 7ft who can clog the lane and defend Gasol, Bynum, Shaq so that Duncan can rest or doesn't have to defend them. We know Bonner's going to choke in the playoffs and who exactly can he defend?

alchemist
11-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Dampier > Bonner

why not give it a shot?

admiralsnackbar
11-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Dampier > Bonner

Only in terms of rebounds.

Leonard Curse
11-09-2010, 08:36 AM
it just hit me! i can see it now since bonners saying he wants to be back by the sixers game & of course pop doesnt Negate matts wishes on his self proclaimed return date unlike everyother spur ever born! that relationship is a beatuiful thing :married::pctoss

but anyhow watch ill say it here were going to lose the sixer game with matts return because he will be running pg/ small forward / oh yeah and that stretch defense thingy that murders teams in the playoffs

bus driver
11-09-2010, 10:08 AM
i woundnt mind the spurs having him for six 'knock your teeth out' fouls

wontstartdumbthreads
11-09-2010, 10:12 AM
i woundnt mind the spurs having him for six 'knock your teeth out' fouls

LOL. Have you seen Dampier play???

Dalamar_the_Dark
11-09-2010, 10:40 AM
No to Dampier for us. The one team that I feel could use his is OKC. They need him badly and he will get his minutes.

Slomo
11-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Dampier, Dampier....

That sounds oddly familiar.

Time to check the archives.

http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Photoshop_madness/erick_dampier_genius.jpg

bigfan
11-09-2010, 02:50 PM
For the vet minimum sure but Dampier is basically a very tall lump of crap.

JustinJDW
11-09-2010, 04:41 PM
You can never have too much size, defense and rebounding, and doesn't Dampier bring all of that? I'm not saying, I'm just saying. Look at the Celtics. Those guys are loaded on the Frontcourt.

C: Tiago Splitter - Antonio McDyess - Erick Dampier
PF: Tim Duncan - Dejuan Blair - Matt Bonner
SF: Richard Jefferson - James Anderson
SG: Manu Ginobili - Gary Neal
PG: Tony Parker - George Hill

:eyebrows

UnWantedTheory
11-09-2010, 06:15 PM
You can never have too much size, defense and rebounding, and doesn't Dampier bring all of that? I'm not saying, I'm just saying. Look at the Celtics. Those guys are loaded on the Frontcourt.

C: Tiago Splitter - Antonio McDyess - Erick Dampier
PF: Tim Duncan - Dejuan Blair - Matt Bonner
SF: Richard Jefferson - James Anderson
SG: Manu Ginobili - Gary Neal
PG: Tony Parker - George Hill

:eyebrows

There are only so many minutes to go around. Its not as if Bonners contract will disappear or that we are willing to move Blair. Erick wants to get decent minutes that we can not give him. Also, it would be yet another new face learning the Spurs system.

UnWantedTheory
11-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Also, as much as people knock on Boner, he is a decent role player that can be effective in limited minutes or as a situational role player. He comes in handy in more ways than one. You cant teach heart and he is a good locker room presence. But, if we did get someone like Erick, I would hope that Bonner truly does become that situational role player, which would be great. Its just unlikely.

HarlemHeat37
11-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Again, Dampier wants minutes..where is he going to find minutes with the Spurs?..

wildbill2u
11-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Would be a waste of time and money. He has not kept himself in good shape over the past few years and was never a very productive player at his best. Dallas got rid of him and Houston doesn't want him. Why should we?

Manufan909
11-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm starting to worry about Tiago's strength
he always fall..../flop:hat

Imo he has showed toughness so far, no flopping at all. Unless you consider it a flop when he draws a charge, then more power to you. Just remember this is training camp Splitter. You won't see the real Tiago until around Christmas. He has to make up for training camp, preseason, and the first 2 games. Considering the context, he has looked awesome to me.

TD 21
11-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Again, Dampier wants minutes..where is he going to find minutes with the Spurs?..

Not only that, but here's what those who claim the Spurs "need another 7-footer" fail to realize: Blair is the other 7-footer. Not in size obviously, but in game. He's essentially an undersized center. Between his and Splitter's lack of range and the already limited mobility of the bigs on this team, there is no room for another big with limited mobility and virtually no range.

That's what Pop was essentially alluding to when Cousin was cut and he said "we have too many centers".

Prodigal
11-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Blair hasn't impressed me at all in the middle...he's too small to play center in this league and he's getting overmatched. Not sure that Dampier would be all that much help, but the Spurs do need another big.

jermaine
11-09-2010, 10:07 PM
now I love Blair, but his lil ass aint stopping Gasol or Buymn! Damp is a big body an thats what you need againt LA. Blair only needs to come off the bench. Dice and Splitter needs to back up Tim & Damp. then come playoff time its who ever earn it.

Dalamar_the_Dark
11-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Give up on Dampier. Give Blair time. Undersized centers have worked in the past. Think Dennis Rodman and Ben Wallace. Blair needs to get his positioning down to a T and he will work out. Blair has the body and wingspan to eat up space.

Russ
11-09-2010, 10:35 PM
If the Spurs wouldn't let Theo Ratliff see the floor last year (with no Splitter), I doubt Dampier would get much court time.

Ditty
11-09-2010, 11:05 PM
I always mention this whenever there's some kinda erika dampiers news...a couple of years ago back 03 when he had that great season with the warriors ,and was a free agent that summer, my friend and I ended up emailing him asking him hat he should sign with the Spurs, because he would help Duncan out at the center position quite a bit at that time. He responded back a few days later saying he would love to play for the spurs, and has always like San Antonio, but the spurs were not intersted or something like that. Of course now that he has played for the mavs, I think he may look at the spurs and san antonio in a different way. :lol

TJastal
11-10-2010, 03:04 AM
I always mention this whenever there's some kinda erika dampiers news...a couple of years ago back 03 when he had that great season with the warriors ,and was a free agent that summer, my friend and I ended up emailing him asking him hat he should sign with the Spurs, because he would help Duncan out at the center position quite a bit at that time. He responded back a few days later saying he would love to play for the spurs, and has always like San Antonio, but the spurs were not intersted or something like that. Of course now that he has played for the mavs, I think he may look at the spurs and san antonio in a different way. :lol

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/6600/csb1.jpg

superbigtime
11-10-2010, 08:09 PM
I would like Rasheed Wallace over Dampier. Imagine Wallace all over Gasol. That alone is reason to get him. But it wouldn't happen. Pop doesn't like knuckleheads. Spurs really need one more true big, but Dampier isn't the guy. Kevin Love, now that would be awesome.

Cessation
11-10-2010, 08:13 PM
rodman was 6-6

ChuckD
11-10-2010, 08:22 PM
And what did Rodman and Wallace have in common that blair lacks? Both were great athletes, both taller than blair, both great leapers each boasting verticel leaps of 40in and great quickness.

Blair can play but needs to be in an up tempo with lots of space to work.......he needs to be traded or run with second unit. I wouldnt mind seeing him go to Min for LOVE...Min likes blair and Love seems to be falling out of Fav with Rambis......Be a good trade for us.

There has only been one NBA player that I know of that had a documented 40" vertical: David Thompson. I think the best in the league now is JR Smith at about 38". Big men usually have much lower verticals: a good vertical for a big is 34-35".

Rodman wasn't taller, either. Wallace was, but only by maybe an inch.

Obstructed_View
11-10-2010, 08:42 PM
There has only been one NBA player that I know of that had a documented 40" vertical: David Thompson. I think the best in the league now is JR Smith at about 38". Big men usually have much lower verticals: a good vertical for a big is 34-35".

Rodman wasn't taller, either. Wallace was, but only by maybe an inch.

Dejuan Blair vert: 33 inches
Blake Griffin vert: 35 inches

Yeah, Blair's a fat tub of shit. His neck is too short. Let's get Kevin Love. :lol

ohmwrecker
11-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Not to mention the fact that Love's salary is over 3x as much as Blair's . . . Texas 2 Step has the worst takes on the board. He still crying over Shaq.

rfbulletdude
11-10-2010, 10:55 PM
scola

Mav-elous Man
11-12-2010, 12:34 PM
As a Mavs fan who has gotten to watch Damp plenty over the years, here is my honest opinion. He is ok against other big centers in the league who don't move well. His footwork is terrible. So when he goes against athletic centers who run the floor well he is totally outmatched. His hands are terrible. He misses and drops alot of passes after the point guard penetrates. He will have games where he shows up but those are few and far between. He gets in foul trouble alot. He needs to accept his role as other teams see him right now because he will not be a starter on any contending team. He can help though as he is still a solid rebounder and does contest shots if his head is in the game. The right coach to motivate him may do some good. So to answer your question, it depends on what the Spurs want. As a second string center with limited minutes he can help some teams. But if I were the Spurs I wouldn't say stay away from him but you definitely don't need him. You're probably better off developing younger talent. Let Miami have him if they wan't. He wont hurt anybody but the Heat.

maddnezz
11-12-2010, 02:57 PM
At the end of the day he's a big mofo to clog up the lane and aint gonna get pushed around. The oposing team better not miss jumpers cause with him and TD in there aint no drivin to the hole lol! Oh well I can dream cant I?

hater
11-12-2010, 03:00 PM
At the end of the day he's a big mofo to clog up the lane and aint gonna get pushed around.

this is erika dampier we are talkin about?

maddnezz
11-12-2010, 03:03 PM
this is erika dampier we are talkin about?:rollin:rollinu do have a point lmao!