PDA

View Full Version : Buying/Owning a Scooter

Leetonidas
11-09-2010, 03:35 PM
What are everyone's thoughts on this? Would only be used to get back and forth from work and school. Anyone own one? I'm considering it because they're so good on gas and I'm tired of spending tons of money on that shit

stretch
11-09-2010, 03:41 PM
gay as shit

stretch
11-09-2010, 03:41 PM
thus, fitting

faggot

Leetonidas
11-09-2010, 03:42 PM
thx :tu

Anyone else?

Bender
11-09-2010, 03:53 PM
depends on what the commute is like. I'd be nervous riding one in heavy traffic...

Drachen
11-09-2010, 04:00 PM
What are everyone's thoughts on this? Would only be used to get back and forth from work and school. Anyone own one? I'm considering it because they're so good on gas and I'm tired of spending tons of money on that shit

If you are going to get a scooter, you might as well get a Honda Rebel 250, they are also great on gas (between 65 and 80 MPG depending on your weight), and they can reach highway speeds (I got mine up to 82 and I weigh 225). Plus it is a motorcycle so you won't have to worry about those "gay as shit" comments. I got one a few years back that was only 2 years old for 2k. Oh and they have a cult following so they really hold their value well.

koriwhat
11-09-2010, 04:13 PM
i'd rather have a motorcycle.

Sportcamper
11-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Scooters are fabulous commuters…They are easy to operate & maintain, they generally have built in storage, centrifugal clutch, low center of gravity….Craig’s list has hundreds of low mileage scooters for sale….I would stay with reputable brands like Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha…..

Smaller dual purpose style motorcycles like the Kawasaki KLX 250 SF are nice bikes to own as well…They even make them with low seating position & fat tires… (70 mpg)…A lot more money than a used scooter however…

Funny that the Rebel 250cc was mentioned….Those things will run for decades…

Drachen
11-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Scooters are fabulous commuters…They are easy to operate & maintain, they generally have built in storage, centrifugal clutch, low center of gravity….Craig’s list has hundreds of low mileage scooters for sale….I would stay with reputable brands like Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha…..

Smaller dual purpose style motorcycles like the Kawasaki KLX 250 SF are nice bikes to own as well…They even make them with low seating position & fat tires… (70 mpg)…A lot more money than a used scooter however…

Funny that the Rebel 250cc was mentioned….Those things will run for decades…

I mention it for exactly that reason. There is also a HUGE online community from which you can get help with maintenance, repair, etc. Additionally since that model of motorcycle has been around for 25 years there are a lot of them and the parts are easy to find and cheap. Lastly, from that online community I have found some "old timers" who still own their 1985 models who have conversations that when they look at prices on CL, the notice that they could sell their bikes for more than they paid for them. I have since "moved up" to a 1984 Sabre, but we still own the rebel (my wife rides it) and I take it out sometimes still. It is supremely maneuverable and fun to ride I bought it in 2008 for 2k flat and it was only 2 years old. Its paid off now and we look forward to keeping it in our stable for many years to come.

Oh one more thing, this bike is a joy to work on, real easy. It's air cooled so that is one less system to worry about and is about bullet proof.

Sportcamper
11-09-2010, 06:05 PM
The private security for the larger Hollywood studios use 250cc Rebels to patrol the many acres of sets & parking lots…They ride them day & night…The bikes rarely need any service at all…In LA there are many Rebels for sale because men who ride often think that their wives/girlfriend would enjoy the bike…Only to find out she wanted a Lexus instead…:lol

KenMcCoy
11-09-2010, 06:11 PM
I would totally rock a Honda Ruckus or a Yamaha Zuma...or better yet the Yamaha TMAX. Check out some of these custom jobs...

http://pinktentacle.com/images/10/scooter_12.jpg
http://pinktentacle.com/images/10/scooter_16.jpg
http://pinktentacle.com/images/10/scooter_2.jpg

benefactor
11-09-2010, 07:58 PM
depends on what the commute is like. I'd be nervous riding one in heavy traffic...
I thought about one too but this was one of the big reasons I decided against it. I think I'm gonna spring for a Can-Am Spyder though.

TDMVPDPOY
11-09-2010, 10:53 PM
dude get some shitty novice bike

then jump to a yamaha R1

Zelophehad
11-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Pretty lame tbh.

I. Hustle
01-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Depends on how far your boyfriends house is.

Dex
01-06-2011, 09:19 PM
I.Hustle was crafting that comeback for a while.

Worth it. :tu

Viva Las Espuelas
01-07-2011, 01:11 AM
Scooters lol