PDA

View Full Version : Does Durant need to drop the 'Tim Duncan act'?

duncan228
11-09-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm glad Duncan stayed true to himself and hope Durant does the same. The NBA will be better for it.

Kevin Durant Wants Endorsement Deals to Come to Oklahoma, But He'll Need to Drop Tim Duncan Act (http://www.nesn.com/2010/11/kevin-durant-wants-endorsement-deals-to-come-to-oklahoma-but-hell-need-to-drop-the-tim-duncan-act-fo.html)
by Nick Coman

Do you know who makes Kevin Durant's shoes?

For somebody suddenly anointed as the best player in the NBA, surprisingly few people probably know the answer to that question, and Durant isn't looking to go out of his way to change that -- literally. Instead, Durant wants companies to come to him (http://www.newsok.com/if-companies-want-durant-theyre-going-to-have-to-come-to-oklahoma-city/article/3512614?custom_click=lead_story_title).

"I don't want to sound like a prima donna. But if companies want to come out here and be a part of what I have going on, they're going to have to come to Oklahoma City," he told NewsOK.com.

Durant may be endorsing the likes of Nike, Gatorade and EA Sports, but his profile still seems surprisingly low. You can blame it on the fact that he plays in Oklahoma City, but playing in Cleveland never stopped LeBron James from being a megastar and money machine. The argument that he needs to be in New York or Los Angeles just doesn't totally hold water.

Instead, one of Durant's biggest strength's may be his real problem -- as far as becoming the superstar that most NBA alpha dogs are. He's too good of a guy.

His agent, Aaron Goodwin, described him in the glowing terms that many others have also given him, but they aren't totally on point.

"He's got a great personality, he stands for what's right and people love him," said Goodwin.

"He's a genuine kid and they're hitching their boats to him. And people love authenticity," he added.

Durant, though, is totally focused on basketball.

"I didn't get into the game of basketball just to get endorsements," Durant said. "I always want to put basketball first and that's what I'm doing. And stuff is starting to come my way now."

Add it all up and who does Durant sound just like?

Tim Duncan -- unselfish, humble, focused, content with a small market, arguably the best player in the NBA -- and Duncan never had the number of endorsements "come his way" that his play would have justified.

Simply put, being an NBA megastar is about seeking out the spotlight. You don't have to be in a huge market (it helps), but you have to want attention, to be a celebrity, to be an entertainer.

LeBron, Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O'Neal and Steve Nash are all clear case studies in such, and while most find the former two controversial and the latter two likable, there is one more humble, understated NBA megastar who has managed to maintain an understated image while becoming a celebrity -- Dwyane Wade.

Wade may not actively seek attention like the four aforementioned stars, but he's surely no Duncan either. He shows his passion with his actions on the court, and his image off the court is cool but low key. It all adds up to quite the healthy endorsement package -- including being the face of the Jumpman23 brand.

Durant may never be a Shaq or LeBron, but he could add a little "passion" and "cool" to the way he presents himself. Everybody respects humble and understated, but if Durant wants companies to come to Oklahoma City, he'll have to give them a little more D-Wade and a little less Tim Duncan.

PM5K
11-09-2010, 07:51 PM
It's different. Tim Duncan comes off as more the quiet rather than humble type.

Roger Freemason Jr.
11-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Durant should stay exactly the same. Sure, his team-mates in OKC aren't gems, but Durant knows what he should do, and that's strive to persevere. Fuck moving to LA and NY, Duncan and Robinson did it here, Jordan did it in Chi, even Wade did it in Miami. So I say, screw the corporations, screw the big heads, do it the right way, with a humble heart.

Obstructed_View
11-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Yeah, Durant needs to change who he is before he starves to death.

elbamba
11-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Durant is like Duncan I am sure, championships are all that really matter.

On a side note, I love that Duncan really only does HEB commercials with Manu and Parker.

duncan228
11-09-2010, 08:17 PM
A sampling of Duncan besides the HEB stuff. There are more adidas too.

jYRMLo6VsTU

SGa9ezemB3o

4WIcjJFy_p8

wxlhpFVpbWc

OC099FK-ltc

ucgIER7ZiQU

r1KM2nYrXiQ

cBZ41NyNZj8

DesignatedT
11-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Durant is doing it the right way, he doesn't need to drop any "act".

ajh18
11-09-2010, 08:40 PM
It's ironic that the author is arguing that the public, and therefore companies, are looking for a certain type of personality for a "megastar," and that Durant should therefore shift his behavior if he wants to gain endorsements.

He totally overlooks the fact that the media tends to promote certain types of personalities, and disregards the impact that kind of "hyping" has on the public. It's pretty damn hard to gain a following if you don't get as much media coverage, and ESPN, CNNSI, and writers like this guy give more coverage to the people who are louder.

Maybe, just maybe, he should look in the mirror and consider the media could help promote players who are quiet in the same way they do those who are loud, rather than asking guys like Durant and Duncan to change THEIR behavior.

Do your thing, Durant. You're good enough, and are actually outspoken enough (where Tim has just never been interested in public statements), to shift the paradigm.

HarlemHeat37
11-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Durant just needs to wash his face a little more, the endorsements will come..

The Truth #6
11-09-2010, 09:23 PM
What an awful article. He wants to focus on basketball...that's his choice. That's a good thing. The writer seems to have everything backwards.

jag
11-09-2010, 09:42 PM
OKC is who Kevin Durant is. He should continue worrying about basketball and leave the irrelevant to the media.

Pistons < Spurs
11-09-2010, 09:46 PM
What an awful article. He wants to focus on basketball...that's his choice. That's a good thing. The writer seems to have everything backwards.

Agreed. The authors stance and write up are both completely ridiculous. I wish we had a league full of Durants. His personality and demeanor are exactly what so many players are lacking in todays NBA.

007nites
11-09-2010, 10:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdQCWHwGDI8&feature=related

Look at Timmay delivering newspapers lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0clCRkh5sOM&feature=related

This one is jokes as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLT0mtENHrU&feature=related

mazerrackham
11-09-2010, 10:13 PM
LeBron, Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O'Neal and Steve Nash are all clear case studies in such, and while most find the former two controversial and the latter two likable...

Shaq is likeable?!?!?!?!??!

crc21209
11-09-2010, 10:31 PM
So the author wants Durant to be a ball-hogging, media-hogging asshole who throws his players under the bus ala Kobe Bryant...cool! :tu :lol

TDMVPDPOY
11-09-2010, 10:39 PM
lol wade bein mention

y2kbug
11-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Timmy had a lot of endorsements, this guy is misinformed.

The Truth #6
11-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Also, Tim has 4 rings. I think Durant would take that over a cell phone endorsement deal. But evidently this writer wouldn't. Maybe this writer works for the OKC chamber of commerce.

hitmanyr2k
11-09-2010, 11:05 PM
The writer of this article should be slapped.

Nathan89
11-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the commercials Duncan228;)

SAtown
11-09-2010, 11:28 PM
The NBA (like most professional American leagues) has turned into a league full of scrubs and clowns. It makes most of these guys extremely unlikeable, at least for me. Good for Durant for staying true to himself. He's one of the few young admirable athletes in this country

Spursfanfromafar
11-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Agreed. The authors stance and write up are both completely ridiculous. I wish we had a league full of Durants. His personality and demeanor are exactly what so many players are lacking in todays NBA.

Double agree. The Durants and the Duncans are the very opposites of the Iversons and the Shaqs, who create a rugged image of the NBA that is certainly not positive in the normative sense.

#2!
11-10-2010, 12:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdQCWHwGDI8&feature=related

Look at Timmay delivering newspapers lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0clCRkh5sOM&feature=related

This one is jokes as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLT0mtENHrU&feature=related

I know this is practically blasphemy coming from a Spurs fan, but those sprite commercials got me thinking. IF Grant Hill wouldn't have had the injury problems that took away his prime watching he and Tim Duncan play together would have been pretty special.

They would have been an old school, fundamental force in the league, and given the young emerging star scorer in T-Mac probably would have had no problem getting a couple of rings. Would have been kind of cool to see a team that looked like they were from a different era dominate the modern league.

Spurminator
11-10-2010, 12:22 AM
This author needs to be a little more good and a little less shitty. Perhaps he should drop the "every other hype-obsessed writer" act.

TJastal
11-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Kevin Durant and Tim Duncan have nothing in common, Durant is a selfish punk who puts on a big act like he's a selfless team player when truth is he only plays for himself. The thunder will never go anywhere with this punk running the team, mark my words.

Not to mention the guy is overhyped to hell & back, put a good defender on him with some size and mobility and his entire game becomes fadeaway jumpshooting (and a poor one at that).

And finally there is Durant's "signature move", which is basically flailing himself into a defender's outstretched arm as if he's trying to shoot the ball when its obvious from his exaggerated contortions he is trying to get a cheap trip to the free throw line. He does this literally once or twice a game. There are a few other players who have done this (Paul Pierce comes to mind) but they do it only on rare occassions and only when a defender is playing too tight for their liking. Durant is the first player I've seen who has actually incorporated this cheap tactic into their regular arsenal. I literally LMFAO in last year's playoffs when Durant tried to throw his arms into Artest but Artest was ready for it and pulled the rug out and Durant was forced to throw up a wild shot which missed horribly.

HarlemHeat37
11-10-2010, 12:38 AM
Kevin Durant and Tim Duncan have nothing in common, Durant is a selfish punk who puts on a big act like he's a selfless team player when truth is he only plays for himself. The thunder will never go anywhere with this punk running the team, mark my words.

Not to mention the guy is overhyped to hell & back, put a good defender on him with some size and mobility and his entire game becomes fadeaway jumpshooting (and a poor one at that).

And finally there is Durant's "signature move", which is basically flailing himself into a defender's outstretched arm as if he's trying to shoot the ball when its obvious from his exaggerated contortions he is trying to get a cheap trip to the free throw line. He does this literally once or twice a game. There are a few other players who have done this (Paul Pierce comes to mind) but they do it only on rare occassions and only when a defender is playing too tight for their liking. Durant is the first player I've seen who has actually incorporated this cheap tactic into their regular arsenal. I literally LMFAO in last year's playoffs when Durant tried to throw his arms into Artest but Artest was ready for it and pulled the rug out and Durant was forced to throw up a wild shot which missed horribly.

:lol:toast..

TD 21
11-10-2010, 12:56 AM

Unbeknownst to you, you just described Nowitzki to a T.

TJastal
11-10-2010, 01:10 AM
Unbeknownst to you, you just described Nowitzki to a T.

I don't recall Nowitski ever trying to flail his arms into a defender, and even if he has, it's not like a staple of his game.

Also Dirk has a pretty good fadeaway.

Man In Black
11-10-2010, 01:11 AM
You have to want to be a megastar to be a megastar. Tim Duncan never cares about any of that. It doesn't stop him from being the best PF ever, nor does it stop him from being a contender, nor does it stop him from getting paid like he is a megastar. We all know he's a megastar, he just doesn't need the extra added attention from being that "kind" of megastar. The article is from NESN-A New England Area Sport Network. I'm thinking that if Tim was dressed like this and stayed exactly the same as he is today, then he would be saying to Kevin Durant to be more like Tim Duncan.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zGTe5MsCVYc/RlJnGR8ENmI/AAAAAAAAANI/GdoS6KrhR6s/s320/Sporting+News+Cover.bmp

TD 21
11-10-2010, 01:19 AM
I don't recall Nowitski ever trying to flail his arms into a defender, and even if he has, it's not like a staple of his game.

Nowitzki just flails period. He's a big, awkward looking goof, who inexplicably get's a ridiculous amount of respect from fans and officials alike. Generally, players who get to the line a lot do so by routinely attacking the basket. Not this guy. He routinely shoots fade and fall-away jumpers and picks up an absurd amount of free throws by doing so.

I remember last year in the playoffs, he basically headbutted Bonner in the chest, threw himself to the ground and voila! Next thing you know, he was shooting two free throws.

duhoh
11-10-2010, 01:28 AM
this is why we can't have nice things in the NBA

TJastal
11-10-2010, 01:45 AM
Nowitzki just flails period. He's a big, awkward looking goof, who inexplicably get's a ridiculous amount of respect from fans and officials alike. Generally, players who get to the line a lot do so by routinely attacking the basket. Not this guy. He routinely shoots fade and fall-away jumpers and picks up an absurd amount of free throws by doing so.

I remember last year in the playoffs, he basically headbutted Bonner in the chest, threw himself to the ground and voila! Next thing you know, he was shooting two free throws.

Sorry, but I don't see it that way. Nowitzki will sell fouls with the best of em, but also draws alot of body contact, I'm actually surprised he doesn't go to the line more than he does with the amount of body contact he draws. And what Nowitski does to sell fouls is pretty common, garden variety stuff IMO.

What I'm talking about here is on a different scale of cheap. It's not only cheap, it's downright despicable and disgusting, and the only thing that's even comparable in the league today that I can think of is Derek Fisher's obnoxious flopping.

Jason R
11-10-2010, 01:56 AM

Glad to see you know him on such a intimate and personal level that you are capable of judging the entire scope of his character. What field of psychology did you specialize in? Also, psychic powers are awesome.

So you didn't watch the world championships? They were pretty good.

So that signature move is what earned him that 27.7 points per game? He must flail pretty accurately.

Barfunk
11-10-2010, 02:12 AM
He's a big, awkward looking goof

lol

hitmanyr2k
11-10-2010, 02:41 AM
So that signature move is what earned him that 27.7 points per game? He must flail pretty accurately.

I think what he's saying is that signature flailing move earns Durant an inflated amount of free throw attempts. Last year for example 75% of KD's offense was jumpshots and yet he still got 10 free throws a game....very generous for a jumpshooter.

TJastal
11-10-2010, 02:48 AM
Glad to see you know him on such a intimate and personal level that you are capable of judging the entire scope of his character. What field of psychology did you specialize in? Also, psychic powers are awesome.
I don't need a psychology degree to see that the 'team-first' goody two-shoes schtick he puts forth is just a veneer. Serves him well, though, he's idolized by media & fans and most importantly gets his knob polished nightly by the officials.

So you didn't watch the world championships? They were pretty good.
'They' played against inferior competition. Plus no Tony Parker, no Manu Ginobili, etc for their respective teams. Kind of a joke if you ask me.

Every year it seems, his game becomes more and more predicated on the refs' benevolence. This is not a good trend for the long haul, IMO. FG% down this year, 3pt% down the past 2 years, and the only thing that's going up is free throw attempts and of course FT% (been apparently working hard at the charity stripe of course :lol). The signature move really personifies his character, IMO. A worthless POS who lives off the charity stripe. In 3-4 years, this guy will be the joke of the league, just watch.

Obstructed_View
11-10-2010, 07:37 AM
Wow, TJ, did he fuck your girlfriend? If not, your personal dislike of him is so obvious that I can easily laugh off the idiocy of your basketball criticisms of him. I don't like Kobe Bryant, but I'm not stupid enough to say that he's not a good basketball player. :lol

ChuckD
11-10-2010, 08:13 AM
I know this is practically blasphemy coming from a Spurs fan, but those sprite commercials got me thinking. IF Grant Hill wouldn't have had the injury problems that took away his prime watching he and Tim Duncan play together would have been pretty special.

They would have been an old school, fundamental force in the league, and given the young emerging star scorer in T-Mac probably would have had no problem getting a couple of rings. Would have been kind of cool to see a team that looked like they were from a different era dominate the modern league.

They signed TMac when Tim told them "no". It was never going to be all three of them. Orlando didn't have the cap room.

easjer
11-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Durant as Duncan-like. No wonder I like the kid.

I do think it's absurd the way the media drools over and hypes the big personalities and turns on them instantly when they cross whatever line of the day and bleat about how these mega-stars are such primadonnas and assholes who expect to be treated like gods when they just play basketball. . .

The vicious circle of the media, creating their own stories.

alchemist
11-10-2010, 09:02 AM
being an asshole gets you great endorsements.....just look at Kobe and Lebron.....so maybe the author is onto something here.

MoSpur
11-10-2010, 09:54 AM
If Duncan were a fart he would be a SBD.`

TJastal
11-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Wow, TJ, did he fuck your girlfriend? If not, your personal dislike of him is so obvious that I can easily laugh off the idiocy of your basketball criticisms of him. I don't like Kobe Bryant, but I'm not stupid enough to say that he's not a good basketball player. :lol

Never claimed he wasn't "good". I said he was overhyped. A primadonna of a different stripe who tries to be coy about all the attention coming his way.

Over-reliance on the officials hasn't won Lebron anything yet and he's alot better than Durant IMO. This conceited little ball hogging Iverson-clone will never make it far in a playoff run when his game is almost completely built around getting to that charity stripe 10-15X a game on a slew of bullshit "touch" fouls that would make even Michael Jordan proud. In the playoffs, that type of charity just isn't given out as freely (esp when 75% of your game is taking fadeaway non-contact 20-25 footers all game long then trying to get to the line by swinging your arms into your defender).

Spurminator
11-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Durant as Duncan-like. No wonder I like the kid.

I do think it's absurd the way the media drools over and hypes the big personalities and turns on them instantly when they cross whatever line of the day and bleat about how these mega-stars are such primadonnas and assholes who expect to be treated like gods when they just play basketball. . .

The vicious circle of the media, creating their own stories.

A controversial player with a big ego can overcome a small market and be marketable.

A quiet and selfless player is perfectly marketable in a glamorous market.

A quiet and selfless player in a non-glamour market? We don't have time for such things. They somehow look different on our TV screens. Not sure what it is.

Obstructed_View
11-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Okay, so he's still fucking your girlfriend.

TJastal
11-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Okay, so he's still fucking your girlfriend.

The only thing he'll be fucking is Clay Bennett's wallet (for the next 6 years).

Obstructed_View
11-10-2010, 10:55 AM
The only thing he'll be fucking is Clay Bennett's wallet (for the next 6 years).

:lol

in2deep
11-10-2010, 11:16 AM
what a stupid article. The writer must be a racist thinking all black ppl should act alike.