PDA

View Full Version : Less Than Half of American Muslims Support the Ground Zero Mosque

Yonivore
11-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Less Than Half of American Muslims Support the Ground Zero Mosque (http://pajamasmedia.com/michaeltotten/2010/11/09/less-than-half-of-american-muslims-support-the-ground-zero-mosque/)

This tells us two things. Opposition to the project isn’t based on mere bigotry. And American Muslims are not a monolith.

DarrinS
11-10-2010, 06:27 PM
A majority of American Muslims are Islamophobic?

FailureNotAnOption
11-10-2010, 06:31 PM
I have yet to see a "rational" explanation for opposing it.

But who ever said humans are rational or logical?

Hooks
11-10-2010, 06:38 PM
"The findings are from a Gallup poll conducted Oct. 5-21, 2010, with 1,729 adults in the United States"

Never knew there were less than 1,000 American Muslims in the U.S, guess you learn something new every day!

I don't agree with the thread title, these polls don't ask enough people.

Yonivore
11-10-2010, 06:40 PM
"The findings are from a Gallup poll conducted Oct. 5-21, 2010, with 1,729 adults in the United States"

Never knew there were less than 1,000 American Muslims in the U.S, guess you learn something new every day!

I don't agree with the thread title, these polls don't ask enough people.
Research Statistics and learn the term statistically significant.

CuckingFunt
11-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Research Statistics and learn the term statistically significant.

If you research "statistics," you'll also find a whole host of scholarship that stresses the importance of carefully examining data collection methods, as well as the persons/organizations involved in phrasing research questions, collecting data, and interpreting data, before blindly trusting the numbers presented.

Especially when presented in headline form. Completely free of context.

As is frequently observed within certain posting styles.

Yonivore
11-10-2010, 07:21 PM
If you research "statistics," you'll also find a whole host of scholarship that stresses the importance of carefully examining data collection methods, as well as the persons/organizations involved in phrasing research questions, collecting data, and interpreting data, before blindly trusting the numbers presented.

Especially when presented in headline form. Completely free of context.

As is frequently observed within certain posting styles.
Context was at the link. Research Gallup's internals if you're interested. 1,700 is a statistically significant enough sampling for that poll.

ChumpDumper
11-10-2010, 07:25 PM
I can see why Muslims would be opposed to it. It has fostered and/or perpetuated a great deal of Islamophobia they could do without.

CuckingFunt
11-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Context was at the link. Research Gallup's internals if you're interested. 1,700 is a statistically significant enough sampling for that poll.

No, the blog entry you linked had no more context than your thread title.

From that blog, one would have to then click on another link to Gallup's site, which finally provides context. And shows that, out of the three options provided (find another location, build on the proposed location, and change to an interfaith institution), more of the responders who identified as Muslim chose the "build on the proposed location" option than either of the other two -- 17%, 43%, and 30%, respectively.

Yonivore
11-10-2010, 07:46 PM
No, the blog entry you linked had no more context than your thread title.

From that blog, one would have to then click on another link to Gallup's site, which finally provides context. And shows that, out of the three options provided (find another location, build on the proposed location, and change to an interfaith institution), more of the responders who identified as Muslim chose the "build on the proposed location" option than either of the other two -- 17%, 43%, and 30%, respectively.
Oh my, you had to follow links?

Actually, it was 14% want it moved (not 17% - accuracy is everything, CF), 43% like what it is and where it is, and 30% thinks it should be an interfaith institution. So, by following the links we learn 43%, or less than half of American Muslims, support the Ground Zero Mosque. No?

ChumpDumper
11-10-2010, 07:50 PM
There would be a mosque in an interfaith institution.

Fail.

DarrinS
11-10-2010, 07:59 PM
There would be a mosque in an interfaith institution.

Fail.

Do you really believe that? :downspin:

CuckingFunt
11-10-2010, 09:10 PM

If your desire was to provide context for your title's assertion, why not link directly to the Gallup webiste yourself, instead of the blog entry on (largely) conservative Pajamas Media from which you got it?

Actually, it was 14% want it moved (not 17% - accuracy is everything, CF), 43% like what it is and where it is, and 30% thinks it should be an interfaith institution. So, by following the links we learn 43%, or less than half of American Muslims, support the Ground Zero Mosque. No?

No.

What we learn is that less than half of the fewer than 1800 Muslims polled would prefer the "Ground Zero Mosque" be built in the proposed Manhattan space. We also learn, however, that at 43% it is, by far, the most popular of the three options amongst the Muslims polled.

Yonivore
11-10-2010, 09:22 PM
If your desire was to provide context for your title's assertion, why not link directly to the Gallup webiste yourself, instead of the blog entry on (largely) conservative Pajamas Media from which you got it?
It was your desire to have context spoon fed to you. I just assumed the curious could follow the links. We are adults, aren't we?

No.

What we learn is that less than half of the fewer than 1800 Muslims polled would prefer the "Ground Zero Mosque" be built in the proposed Manhattan space.
A statistically significant sampling of Muslims that can, within a reasonable margin of error, be extrapolated out to be representative of the entire Muslim population. You can't call them all, CF.

We also learn, however, that at 43% it is, by far, the most popular of the three options amongst the Muslims polled.
Still, less than half (as the title suggested) Support the Ground Zero Mosque. And, contradicting the assertion that it is "by far the most popular," is the fact that 44% wanted something else.

Cry Havoc
11-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Still, less than half (as the title suggested) Support the Ground Zero Mosque. And, contradicting the assertion that it is "by far the most popular," is the fact that 44% wanted something else.

:lmao

Dude, you failed. Just stop.

Blake
11-11-2010, 12:10 AM
A majority of American Muslims are Islamophobic?

what percent of American Muslims do you think want the mosque built in order to recruit and train terrorists?

Yonivore
11-11-2010, 12:20 AM
what percent of American Muslims do you think want the mosque built in order to recruit and train terrorists?
They didn't poll that question but, it would have been a good one to ask. No?

ChumpDumper
11-11-2010, 05:06 AM
Do you really believe that? :downspin:Why would there not be?

Winehole23
11-11-2010, 06:27 AM
Darrin thinks he can get people to think his way with a rhetorical question.

The trap only catches dummies. It's a dummy magnet.

Winehole23
11-11-2010, 06:41 AM
I make no apology for giving no take at all on the totally moronic inference solicited by the information.

As for the information itself, Mr. Totten provides zero contextualization. It's susceptible to multiple interpretations.

(Let your imagination run wild!)

Oh, Gee!!
11-11-2010, 06:56 AM
Actually it appears that 73% support the location, with a majority of those wanting it to be only a mosque. Overall, less than 20% of polled object to the entire thing.

Winehole23
11-11-2010, 07:00 AM
Based on the linked info?

Winehole23
11-11-2010, 07:01 AM
There is no link to the Gallop Poll in the given link. Do you have one?

Oh, Gee!!
11-11-2010, 07:02 AM
It seems like a good many of the 73% that want it to stay put prefer accomodations for other faiths. If I recall, the plan has been for a while to include interfaith facilities at that sight, so that fact doesn't seem at all poignant either.

Btw, good work cf for exposing yoni's intelligence blog for having none.

Oh, Gee!!
11-11-2010, 07:05 AM
Based on the linked info?

Just extrapolating from the polling results posted by cf. 43 want it stay there as a mosque, 30 want it to be interfaith, and 14 to 17 oppose the location

Winehole23
11-11-2010, 07:08 AM
<topspin>

DarrinS
11-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Why would there not be?

I'll believe it when I see it. I have doubts there will be a synagogue inside.

George Gervin's Afro
11-11-2010, 09:30 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. I have doubts there will be a synagogue inside.

You'll find something else to complain about when the synagogue is included..

TeyshaBlue
11-11-2010, 10:29 AM

Or conversely, 73% like the Mosque and think it should also include other faiths.
14% Do not support the mosque.

Your spin is weak.

TeyshaBlue
11-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Dammit! Sorry Oh Gee! You already posited that.:depressed

Oh, Gee!!
11-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Dammit! Sorry Oh Gee! You already posited that.:depressed

furthermore, we have zero clue why that 14% opposes it. the fact that 14% of muslim americans polled are opposed is not all that instructive without asking other questions of them.

Spurminator
11-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Like most people, they're probably sick of hearing about it.

boutons_deux
11-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Is enforcement of the Constitutionally defined "inalienable right" of freedom to practice religion subject to popularity contest voting?

ChumpDumper
11-11-2010, 01:31 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. I have doubts there will be a synagogue inside.I think it will simply be a mosque.

Even a Muslim argument against its construction could be due to other people's Islamophobia. The poll could have been fleshed out more.