PDA

View Full Version : With a difficult schedule, the Spurs would be below .500

chasky
11-11-2010, 01:19 AM
People in ST are over exited for this 6-1 start, but we are playing awfull D. Hill and Blair don't look good at all.

DesignatedT
11-11-2010, 01:21 AM
cool but we didnt have a difficult schedule and we are 6-1.. so gtfo

timtonymanu
I'm not. We are barely squeaking by non-contenders right now. At the same time, these close games should be good tests for our team when they challenge the contenders.

Too many stupid mistakes and no defense will cost us with these contenders.

Cessation
fail thread, spurs playing down to the competion at times due to boredom no doubt, when they need to make plays to put the game away, they have

crc21209
11-11-2010, 01:22 AM
Who gives a shit, a win is a win. You think the Lakers would rather be losing to shitty teams instead of being 7-0?

99-03-05-07
11-11-2010, 01:22 AM
you can't even say that, we have won games. even if it's against bad teams, it's not like other good teams won't play them. we are doing what we should, get W's

coyotes_geek
11-11-2010, 01:23 AM
People in ST are over exited for this 6-1 start, but we are playing awfull D. Hill and Blair don't look good at all.

I see way more threads here calling attention to the Spurs sub-par defense and Hill and Blair's woes on here than I do threads boasting about a great 6-1 start.

jestersmash
11-11-2010, 01:23 AM
"Awful D"

"Hill doesn't look good"

Welcome to 3 or 4 games ago. We've made improvements in both departments (Hill showed clear improvements tonight, particularly with his shot). I can only assume you haven't been watching these recent games.

DesignatedT
11-11-2010, 01:24 AM
Who are the contenders anyway? Besides the Lakers and Hornets nobody looks that great tbh.

gospursgojas
11-11-2010, 01:25 AM
17-26 total record of opposing teams.

I half agree.

But Spurs are also implementing 4 or 5 new rotation players. I think we're fine. And yes....a wins a win

HarlemHeat37
11-11-2010, 01:25 AM
Spurs actually have one of the best SRS(one of the more accurate stats over the years, btw) in the NBA right now, so they're beating teams like they're supposed to..

Their record is certainly inflated due to the soft schedule, but you take the wins you can get..it sucks that they lost to the only probable playoff team they have played against(NO), and I'm sure everybody recognizes that this is a team that needs a lot of work on the defensive end, and they still need to get some chemistry..it's a great sign that they're 6-1, despite having problems and a few key players struggling..

OKC will be the next big test, hopefully they show up and play hard for that game..

The Spurs clearly look like the 3rd best team in the West right now, and they have room to grow..a lot of room..

L.I.T
11-11-2010, 01:26 AM
Hell of a lot better than losing them.

TDMVPDPOY
ima go take a shit and mail express t o you

i remember back in the 90s we started out strong with 6-0 6-1 starts....

its always good to get the wins early on b4 injuries kick in

crc21209
Spurs actually have one of the best SRS in the NBA right now, so they're beating teams like they're supposed to..

Their record is certainly inflated due to the soft schedule, but you take the wins you can get..it sucks that they lost to the only probable playoff team they have played against(NO), and I'm sure everybody recognizes that this is a team that needs a lot of work on the defensive end, and they still need to get some chemistry..it's a great sign that they're 6-1, despite having problems and a few key players struggling..

OKC will be the next big test, hopefully they show up and play hard for that game..

+1. Next week is going to be a nice little test for this team. @OKC on Sunday, Home to Chicago on Wednesday, and @Utah on Friday.

HarlemHeat37
11-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Shit, I didn't even know they were playing Chicago and Utah next week too, that's beautiful..should be some good, early tests for the Spurs..

DesignatedT
11-11-2010, 01:30 AM
OKC on a b2b and early 6 pm start will be a tough one to win IMO, who knows if Pop is planning on resting also. After That stretch of OKC, Chi, Utah we should have a pretty good idea of where we stand.

Obstructed_View
11-11-2010, 01:41 AM
The Spurs didn't have a particularly difficult schedule last year and were 4-6 to start the season which made them have to scramble to even make the playoffs. This is better.

I don't care if they're winning ugly at this point as long as they're padding the win column. They have plenty of time to figure things out. The nice thing about having rookies contributing instead of career journeyman veterans is the reality that they could actually get better. Remember when Matt Bonner was starting and Pops Mensah-Bonsu was looking like a really good option for a starting center?

UnWantedTheory
11-11-2010, 01:56 AM
I am glad only three negative thoughts came out of your two outstanding sentences...you had me worried the Spurs were in trouble there for a sec. :rolleyes

kaji157
11-11-2010, 02:18 AM
I think the Spurs might be playing up to competition. An the NO game was close at one point, so, while they are not playing great they still have a lot of room to improve.

ezau
11-11-2010, 02:25 AM
We could have actually won the NO game if TD didn't have a bad game. In fact, we were like an RJ three-ball away from tying the game in the final seconds. We could have been 7-0 right now, but hey, we're still 6-1 so it doesn't matter.

MinuteByMinuteSports
11-11-2010, 02:28 AM

i agree, Blair will get his stuff together soon. On our radio show tonight we addressed he should not be starting by Feb-April

LeCrab
11-11-2010, 02:33 AM
We could have actually won the NO game if TD didn't have a bad game. In fact, we were like an RJ three-ball away from tying the game in the final seconds. We could have been 7-0 right now, but hey, we're still 6-1 so it doesn't matter.

this tbh we should of won the hornets game

ChuckD
11-11-2010, 08:10 AM
You play who's on the schedule. At least we aren't dropping these games like we might have in years past.

mywastedlife900
11-11-2010, 08:25 AM

these were games we were losing last year. wins now, reflect seeding in april.
from the guy with post 1 after the 6-1 start lol...

TJastal
11-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Who are the contenders anyway? Besides the Lakers and Hornets nobody looks that great tbh.

Hornets, I seriously doubt are going to keep this level of play up throughout the whole season.

To me, the jazz appear to be defenite contenders, esp once Okur returns. Mavericks will be tough, blazers too. Nuggets look like they could surprise a few people (esp once they get Martin & Anderson back). Suns are always dangerous w/ Nash. Thunder are iffy. Rockets need to trade Yao, like tomorrow. That's about all.

tmtcsc
11-11-2010, 08:48 AM
I'm grateful for the soft schedule because its allowed the team to continue getting better without losing games.

I'm sure most fans aren't fooled by the nice start and most importantly the Spurs team isn't. Making mistakes while still posting W's is golden.

The team needs to improve it's defense or it won't beat the good teams. Of course a coach with 4 rings realizes that too.

stxspurs
11-11-2010, 08:51 AM
again..who cares....i rather them play lower teams to get in the groove. it lets then gain some confidence...i agree okc will be a tough one

bus driver
11-11-2010, 09:02 AM
cool but we didnt have a difficult schedule and we are 6-1.. so gtfo

+1

:bang schedule bullshit

ElNono
11-11-2010, 09:06 AM
It's a good thing we didn't have a difficult schedule then. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. As others have said, at least this allows the team to get better prepared for the more difficult challenges that lay ahead.

lefty
11-11-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm not. We are barely squeaking by non-contenders right now. At the same time, these close games should be good tests for our team when they challenge the contenders.

Too many stupid mistakes and no defense will cost us with these contenders.

I agee 100%

But playing vs average teams is a good opportunity for Pop to give enough PT to the rookies, so they can learn fast

mingus
11-11-2010, 09:35 AM
the Spurs are playing down to their opponents' level to an extent. defensively, this team can be very good. their activity increases when they are commited to it, and they've been able to get stops when they need to get stops for the most part. Manu and Tim i know for a fact are not playing with the intensity that they woould play with against better teams. you can just tell by watching that they're kind of taking it easy and like i said getting stops when they need to. this is understandable for them because they need to save their legs for when it matters most. as long as both those guys are playing their best defense when it matters is what's important. right now they're letting their offense carry them, but you know what? that's their perogative. they have the offense to do that and if it means they're going to rely on it to save their legs i'm fine with that.

so i don't buy it at all that this Spurs team would be below .500. they'd be playing a different, defensively better brand of basketball against those teams.

ducks
11-11-2010, 09:41 AM
last year spurs were 4-6 after ten games

it was a battle to get a decent seeding
atleast they have not dug themselves into a big hole this year

ohmwrecker
11-11-2010, 09:44 AM
the Spurs are playing down to their opponents' level to an extent.

Exactly. They have done this for years. They play down to bad teams and ratchet it up for the good teams. The biggest difference is that they let a lot of those close games against bad teams slip away last year. This year they are shutting them down in the last half of the 4th quarter. I really have to question the length of time OP has been a Spurs fan, or how much basketball he actually watches.

rascal
11-11-2010, 09:46 AM
The Spurs didn't have a particularly difficult schedule last year and were 4-6 to start the season which made them have to scramble to even make the playoffs. This is better.

I don't care if they're winning ugly at this point as long as they're padding the win column. They have plenty of time to figure things out. The nice thing about having rookies contributing instead of career journeyman veterans is the reality that they could actually get better. Remember when Matt Bonner was starting and Pops Mensah-Bonsu was looking like a really good option for a starting center?

The spurs were not missing the playoffs last year and they aren't missing the playoffs this year.

What matters is have the spurs built a team capable of beating the Lakers in a 7 game series and winning a title. It is another re-run of a season like we have seen many times before if they can't get past the lakers.

TJastal
11-11-2010, 09:47 AM
the Spurs are playing down to their opponents' level to an extent. defensively, this team can be very good. their activity increases when they are commited to it, and they've been able to get stops when they need to get stops for the most part. Manu and Tim i know for a fact are not playing with the intensity that they woould play with against better teams. you can just tell by watching that they're kind of taking it easy and like i said getting stops when they need to. this is understandable for them because they need to save their legs for when it matters most. as long as both those guys are playing their best defense when it matters is what's important. right now they're letting their offense carry them, but you know what? that's their perogative. they have the offense to do that and if it means they're going to rely on it to save their legs i'm fine with that.

so i don't buy it at all that this Spurs team would be below .500. they'd be playing a different, defensively better brand of basketball against those teams.

So basically a more verbose way of saying why use 5th gear when 4th is getting the job done. :lol

rascal
11-11-2010, 09:48 AM
last year spurs were 4-6 after ten games

it was a battle to get a decent seeding
atleast they have not dug themselves into a big hole this year

The seeding doesn't matter. The spurs could play all 7 games of a 7 game series at home and still lose to the Lakers.

MarHill
11-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Did Spurs make their own schedule? No!

You can only play the schedule that's in front of you. If the Spurs were 1-6...you would start a thread that's over and they suck.

Spoiled Spurs fans!!! Unbelievable!!

They play 82 games and the season is marathon not a sprint.

I would be more worried if they were playing perfect basketball in November than March and April.

Do they have some things to get better at? Absolutely!!

But sometimes...fans don't have any perspective!

rascal
11-11-2010, 09:49 AM
The lack of blowout wins is a good indicator on how strong the team is. Point differential is important to show which teams will win in the end.

MarHill
11-11-2010, 09:50 AM
The seeding doesn't matter. The spurs could play all 7 games of a 7 game series at home and still lose to the Lakers.

I disagree.

Seeding does matter and the Spurs don't have the same margin of error as they had in the past.

Having HCA in the first 2 rounds of playoffs will make a big difference until they face the Lakers in WCF.

Spurminator
11-11-2010, 10:05 AM
It's too early to judge really, but I like what I'm seeing so far. The logic that we're only 6-1 because we're not facing difficult teams is questionable. Good teams consistently beat the teams they're supposed to beat, average or below-average teams will lose a few of those.

But time will tell. Anyone who has watched this team for even the last ten years knows it's not uncommon for the Spurs to come out of the gates a little sloppy in some areas.

DBMethos
11-11-2010, 10:05 AM
I'd rather be 6-1 with the easy schedule we've had than 4-3, or worse. You take what you can get.

eric365
11-11-2010, 10:36 AM
We won against Houston and Houston is a top 10 team according to Hollinger rating.
We are fine

silverblk mystix
11-11-2010, 10:43 AM

I hope this is a joke.

If not, the lakers probably have their own forum-it is not too late for you to return there.

NRHector
11-11-2010, 10:49 AM

if the Spurs were 1-6 right now you would be ready to jump off the cliff, this early wins are going to help the Spurs later

tmtcsc
11-11-2010, 10:59 AM
I hope this is a joke.

If not, the lakers probably have their own forum-it is not too late for you to return there.

rascal is a known Laker troll in disguise. he gets people riled up all the time by his Team: San Antonio indentifier.

yavozerb
11-11-2010, 11:01 AM
If they can win win 50% of the games against the upper tier teams and win 80-90% against the lower tier teams this should be a great season. I also consider the upper tier team to total around 7-8 teams in the NBA.

silverblk mystix
11-11-2010, 11:04 AM
rascal is a known Laker troll in disguise. he gets people riled up all the time by his Team: San Antonio indentifier.

ok...that makes more sense,thanks.

In-SPUR-Raider
11-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Alright... I'm VERY excited about the Spurs 6-1 start! I'm not ready to talk about the 5th ring in the bag but, I'm excited about the 6-1 start.
Why?
It's obvious!! Because these "close games" to non-contenders were the ones they were losing last season!!
After a few years, we FINALLY have a big athletic man in Tiago Splitter!
After a few years, we FINALLY have a better bench with Gary Neal, James Anderson, George Hill, and McDyess!

I understand that there was probably only 1 (2 at the most) team(s) that are playoff contenders in this 5 game winning streak but that's exactly why we're happy that we're beating those non-contenders! Because last season, the Spurs were kicking those below .500 teams asses in the first 3 quarters but ended up blowing those games and losing!

Yes, there's still A LOT of problems with the Spurs playing but come on now! It's still the begining of the season! THE SPURS ARE WINNING THE GAMES THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO WIN! So IMO, they're getting the job done!

Now if someone wants to already give the MVP to a Spurs player or talk about "We're DEFINATELY winning a ring this year!" Thats a different story but a 6-1 start... Come on man! Just be happy that your team is beating the teams they're supposed to beat!

sandman
11-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Spurs just beating the teams they are supposed to beat.

Cry Havoc
11-11-2010, 11:26 AM
All I care about is making the playoffs and getting Duncan rest down the stretch so he can beast in the real season.

rascal
11-11-2010, 12:33 PM

Not true. But they have a better front office than the spurs and have beaten down the spurs more often than not.

DesignatedT
11-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Hornets, I seriously doubt are going to keep this level of play up throughout the whole season.

To me, the jazz appear to be defenite contenders, esp once Okur returns. Mavericks will be tough, blazers too. Nuggets look like they could surprise a few people (esp once they get Martin & Anderson back). Suns are always dangerous w/ Nash. Thunder are iffy. Rockets need to trade Yao, like tomorrow. That's about all.

I know the Hornets won't last, I'm just saying that the Lakers and Hornets are the only 2 teams that have not had any mishaps. Obviously OKC, Portland, Dallas are all great teams but OKC lost to the Clippers, Dallas has lost to Memphis, Nuggets lost to Indiana and gave up 54 points in a quarter... The OP's point is retarded. The Jazz beat Orlando and Miami on huge comebacks but lost to Golden State.

dunkman
11-11-2010, 01:22 PM
The Spurs will need the HCA against the Lakers. So far may have been few bad teams, but still NBA teams. The Lakers play bad teams too and most of their games were at home.

Pop teams typically have slow starts then the SPAM with a series of wins spanning from the rodeo trip to end of regular season. This Spurs team is very talented and deep.

Agloco
11-11-2010, 01:52 PM

I'm not sure how you couldn't be. Last years squad is probably 4-3 right now. It's a stepwise process. One game at a time.

Are they contenders right now? Hell no. But there's a lot of ball left to be played.