PDA

View Full Version : To those who served....

Cyrano
11-11-2010, 10:42 AM
and are currently serving in the Armed Forces, I wish you a happy Veteran's day, and thank you for your service!

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2pnb6/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/VFW.gif
Life Member, post 8787

PakiDan
11-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Thank you to all our Veterans.

TheManFromAcme
11-11-2010, 11:34 AM
God bless our veterans :toast

bus driver
11-11-2010, 11:36 AM
here, here
:toast

Darkwaters
11-11-2010, 12:09 PM
To Wade Slack
To Louis Fastuca
To Matthew Hennigan
To Raymond Alcaraz
To Ryane Clark

And to all the others who were not fortunate enough to come home.

The Gemini Method
11-11-2010, 12:16 PM
To Genaro Acosta--who was one of the funniest classmates we had...thank you. You lost your life in Iraq 7 years ago today and I still remember the sadness that came over me when I read your obituary. Your sacrifice will never be forgotten.

And to the Veterans of past wars and those currently serving...thank you from this grateful citizen.

JudynTX
11-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Thank you! :toast

Who's off today? Wish I was. :lol

The Gemini Method
11-11-2010, 12:29 PM

We get our day off tomorrow--which, I prefers since it gives us a 3-day weekend as opposed to having to come back on Friday.

JudynTX
11-11-2010, 12:31 PM
We get our day off tomorrow--which, I prefers since it gives us a 3-day weekend as opposed to having to come back on Friday.

:tu Do you work for the government? :D

The Gemini Method
11-11-2010, 12:55 PM
:tu Do you work for the government? :D

Sorta lol.

PakiDan
11-11-2010, 12:57 PM

How's it going over there with Pakidad?

PaulGreco
11-11-2010, 01:13 PM
To all my brothers and sisters - this is a day to remember all that have fallen and all those that are still abroad serving today.

As a member of the Air Force for 10 years and someone who served in Operation Iraqi Freedom as well as Operation Southern and Northern watch I can tell each and everyone out there the life of a military member is NOT easy. Being away from you family for months and even years is hard, not being able to tell them when you're coming home is difficult, but the rewards of fulfilling your mission is better than a championship hands down. One Team / One Mission!!!

To all those military members here in ST thank you!!!

--PG

Sisk
11-11-2010, 01:17 PM
:tu

lefty
11-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Sorta lol.
Sorta?

MIB?

Hooks
11-11-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm a 7th prestige with a 1.75 K/D ratio, it's been rough sacrificing all my time killing these terrorist bastards but I love my country.

Happy veterans day yall

The Gemini Method
11-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Sorta?

MIB?

Naw. Not that exciting...I actually work for a college system, so, it's like working for a gov't...good thing I'm still getting paid and not receiving an i.o.u or two (or three)

duncan228
11-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Respect and thanks to all who serve, past and present. :toast

leemajors
11-11-2010, 02:28 PM
I will come to a time in my backwards trip when November eleventh, accidentally my birthday, was a sacred day called Armistice Day. When I was a boy, and when Dwayne Hoover was a boy, all the people of all the nations which had fought in the First World War were silent during the eleventh minute of the eleventh hour of Armistice Day, which was the eleventh day of the eleventh month.
It was during that minute in nineteen hundred and eighteen, that millions upon millions of human beings stopped butchering one another. I have talked to old men who were on battlefields during that minute. They have told me in one way or another that the sudden silence was the Voice of God. So we still have among us some men who can remember when God spoke clearly to mankind.
Armistice Day has become Veterans' Day. Armistice Day was sacred. Veterans' Day is not.
So I will throw Veterans' Day over my shoulder. Armistice Day I will keep. I don't want to throw away any sacred things.
What else is sacred? Oh, Romeo and Juliet, for instance.
And all music is.

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

Cheese
11-11-2010, 03:00 PM
http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-image-hosting-37/5714dreday-.jpg (http://hotchyx.com/)

tlongII
11-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Happy Birthday Joe Chalupa!

CubanMustGo
11-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks to all who have served and are serving.

Special thanks to my brother for his service which included a year in Vietnam. I love ya, bro.

JudynTX
11-11-2010, 03:56 PM
How's it going over there with Pakidad?

Going well. :lol

Thanks to all who have served and are serving.

Special thanks to my brother for his service which included a year in Vietnam. I love ya, bro.

:tu I'm glad you're brother was able to come home. Mine wasn't. :(

duncan228
11-11-2010, 04:09 PM
NBA Cares: Knowing How Much They've Given Us

DFrewGwBkzg

Chomag
11-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Any thank you I say could never be enough.

From the bottom of my heart you guys are the best.

benefactor
11-11-2010, 04:36 PM
My grandfather flew P-38's in WWII and my dad relayed orders to the front lines in Vietnam.

I salute them and all others that have fought for this country.

LoneStarState'sPride
11-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks to all the veterans--praying for my former upperclassmen in harm's way right now.

Summers
11-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Sincerest thanks for having our backs.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
11-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Can't say thanks enough:toast

thispego
11-12-2010, 12:05 AM
To all my brothers and sisters - this is a day to remember all that have fallen and all those that are still abroad serving today.

As a member of the Air Force for 10 years and someone who served in Operation Iraqi Freedom as well as Operation Southern and Northern watch I can tell each and everyone out there the life of a military member is NOT easy. Being away from you family for months and even years is hard, not being able to tell them when you're coming home is difficult, but the rewards of fulfilling your mission is better than a championship hands down. :lol One Team / One Mission!!!

To all those military members here in ST thank you!!!

--PG

but that's your job, that's what you signed up for and get paid for...

Don't want to take anything away from the veterans on their day, Vietnam and ww2 vets gave the real sacrafices, but don't sit there and tell us how your life is hard, everyone's gotta pull a paycheck, bro. It's not supposed to be easy.

mrsmaalox
11-12-2010, 12:47 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-nxEYo24kRM/SRjKwzyTO1I/AAAAAAAAAN0/Ub6CpL1crTI/s400/courage.jpg

marini martini
11-12-2010, 02:02 AM
Thanks Dad!!!:toast
http://www.pitnet.net/heathde/749/

PaulGreco
11-12-2010, 10:00 AM

Don't want to take anything away from the veterans on their day, Vietnam and ww2 vets gave the real sacrafices, but don't sit there and tell us how your life is hard, everyone's gotta pull a paycheck, bro. It's not supposed to be easy.

You have to be the biggest D-Bag alive pal. Are you kidding me. "the real sacrafices" how about you tell that to my pals who died while bringing supplies to other troops and village that and no food or water. Or how about you visit to the VA hospital and talk to those who lost a leg or an arm or more while serving over seas over the last 10-12 years.

You think it was about a paycheck. That's the ignorance that many military members talk about when discussing what the public really knows about what we do or did. I didn't join for the paycheck pal because trust me if it was about that I would never had done that. Military members, especially enlisted get paid crap for the job we do/did.

This is the kind of thing that gets me all fired up. Yo,u saying that is as bad as that religious group who goes to the funerals to protest the dead soldiers.

You have NO idea what we or any military member has gone through to protect your punk ass and your 1st Amendement right, which in this case was used to show your ignorance.

I'm just sayin.
--PG

2Blonde
11-12-2010, 01:21 PM
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5702/dkoftheweeksign.jpg (http://img171.imageshack.us/i/dkoftheweeksign.jpg/)

...And this week's award goes to thispego .

Cleveland Steamer
11-12-2010, 01:33 PM
you knew there would be at least one d-bag keyboard warrior to come in here and talk about how you "chose to sign up" and how "it's your job." that sense of reality is one that could only come about from a pampered upbringing and too many hours spent playing Call of Duty.

thanks for your service PG.

mrsmaalox
11-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Aww ya'll don't be hatin' on thispego! He too risks his life everyday for a paycheck. Daily he faces untold dangers behind the desk---hideously disfiguring injuries from paper cuts and stray stapler shrapnel. It's not easy, but he accepts his duty never expecting special recognition or thanks. And I, for one, appreciate it :toast :toast

I Cut
11-12-2010, 03:01 PM
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5702/dkoftheweeksign.jpg (http://img171.imageshack.us/i/dkoftheweeksign.jpg/)

...And this week's award goes to thispego .

Could not have said it better myself, 2blonde.

What a fucking lowlife.

I Cut
11-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Aww ya'll don't be hatin' on thispego! He too risks his life everyday for a paycheck. Daily he faces untold dangers behind the desk---hideously disfiguring injuries from paper cuts and stray stapler shrapnel. It's not easy, but he accepts his duty never expecting special recognition or thanks. And I, for one, appreciate it :toast :toast

Jeezus. He has a fucking supporter. Supporting a fucking pencil pusher? Unbelievable.

mrsmaalox
11-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Jeezus. He has a fucking supporter. Supporting a fucking pencil pusher? Unbelievable.

I think you should check the batteries in you sarcasm meter ;)

CubanMustGo
11-12-2010, 03:07 PM

Methinks you need one of these.

http://www.psfk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Training-Computers-To-Detect-Sarcasm.jpg

I Cut
11-12-2010, 03:15 PM
I think you should check the batteries in you sarcasm meter ;)

A thousand pardons. I did not know sarcasm came in stanzas.

bus driver
11-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Restrepo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DjqR6OucBc)

thispego
11-12-2010, 06:27 PM
You have to be the biggest D-Bag alive pal. Are you kidding me. "the real sacrafices" how about you tell that to my pals who died while bringing supplies to other troops and village that and no food or water. Or how about you visit to the VA hospital and talk to those who lost a leg or an arm or more while serving over seas over the last 10-12 years.

You think it was about a paycheck. That's the ignorance that many military members talk about when discussing what the public really knows about what we do or did. I didn't join for the paycheck pal because trust me if it was about that I would never had done that. Military members, especially enlisted get paid crap for the job we do/did.

This is the kind of thing that gets me all fired up. Yo,u saying that is as bad as that religious group who goes to the funerals to protest the dead soldiers.

You have NO idea what we or any military member has gone through to protect your punk ass and your 1st Amendement right, which in this case was used to show your ignorance.

I'm just sayin.
--PG

ROFL get all fired up then. It's true though, noone bitches about their job and about how they have it so tough more than enlisted men. Seriously, you signed up for it, what do you want from us? You have a holiday devoted to you where everyone kneels at your feet for a whole week and that's more than a lot of you "new vets" deserve. You're leeching off the glory of the real vets that were truly fighting for our freedom. LMAO at any soldiersayig they're fighting for our freedoms now. You're doing you're job, and yeah, alot are doing a damn good job at it. However that doesn't warrant all the soldier worship that a lot of you expect.

I'm a dick? That's fine. Doesn't mean I'm not right :toast

thispego
11-12-2010, 06:33 PM
you knew there would be at least one d-bag keyboard warrior to come in here and talk about how you "chose to sign up" and how "it's your job." that sense of reality is one that could only come about from a pampered upbringing and too many hours spent playing Call of Duty.

thanks for your service PG.

Video games are gay and I was one week away from heading to boot camp in 2003 when MEPS found screws in my shoulder that my recruiter swore up and down would not prevent me from shipping out. And I GUARANTEE you I would not be the attention seeking, glory hungry, appreciation expecting soldier you see all over the military these days. It's a job and I was ready to treat it as such.

Cyrano
11-12-2010, 07:18 PM
I knew it. A 4-F wannabe. And exactly how do you know what enlisted men bitch about? Did you spend a whole lot of time overseas with troops?
I didn't ask you to thank anyone for anything. I titled the thread "To those who served", to personally thank veterans for their service. Your participation was neither sought nor solicited. You, however, decided to intrude and disrespect people you don;t know and don't understand. If you would like, I cordially invite you to visit my VFW post and spend some time with the people you find it necessary to disparage. In eighteen years, I have never ONCE met a vet who sought thanks or praise for their service. EVER. We are there to help each other with large or small problems encountered by those who served their country honorably.

Cleveland Steamer
11-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Video games are gay and I was one week away from heading to boot camp in 2003 when MEPS found screws in my shoulder that my recruiter swore up and down would not prevent me from shipping out. And I GUARANTEE you I would not be the attention seeking, glory hungry, appreciation expecting soldier you see all over the military these days. It's a job and I was ready to treat it as such.

so instead you choose to be the attention seeking coulda-shoulda-woulda soldier who bitches about the actual soldiers and tries to discredit their work? am i supposed to be impressed?

thispego
11-13-2010, 06:19 PM
I knew it. A 4-F wannabe. And exactly how do you know what enlisted men bitch about? Did you spend a whole lot of time overseas with troops?
I didn't ask you to thank anyone for anything. I titled the thread "To those who served", to personally thank veterans for their service. Your participation was neither sought nor solicited. You, however, decided to intrude and disrespect people you don;t know and don't understand. If you would like, I cordially invite you to visit my VFW post and spend some time with the people you find it necessary to disparage. In eighteen years, I have never ONCE met a vet who sought thanks or praise for their service. EVER. We are there to help each other with large or small problems encountered by those who served their country honorably.

4f wannabe :lol couldn't be happier that it didn't work out for me back then. And I may not specifically be talking to you, that's for you to determine. I was however, responding to paul grecco who thinks he and his military brethren have it weally weally tough. I have all kinds of respect for any man or woman who does their job, whether it be the trash guy or mailman or front line infantryman. I don't have MORE respect for you just because your job is more dangerous, you've put yourself in that position. It's not enough that peoplethank you on a daily basis? Military men are just brainwashed into believing that they are a special class of people that deserve more respect and gratitude than anyone else who does their job. It's funny and lots of people have bought into it.

thispego
11-13-2010, 06:21 PM
so instead you choose to be the attention seeking coulda-shoulda-woulda soldier who bitches about the actual soldiers and tries to discredit their work? am i supposed to be impressed?

Nope, not trying to discredit anyones work, just don't want to hear about how tough you think you got it.

PaulGreco
11-13-2010, 06:42 PM
thispego,

Would love to sit down over a beer and discuss you views. I've met up with Mouse, Big Z, Chalup, Paki, would love the opportunity to sit down with you.

But, I think you're one of this guys, you know, the tough guy -- I need attention because my mommy never loved me guys -- who have to be tough in the forum.

Let's have a beer or three talk about like men and maybe we can come to an understanding.

Let me know bro -- anytime -- the invitation is out there.
--PG

I Cut
11-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Fuck, dude! You are either a horrible troll or a horrible, bitter person. You should cease and desist breath IMMEDIATELY. Fuck you and your mother for pooping you out if her stinky, filthy, hairy, diseased hole.

Summers
11-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Military men are just brainwashed into believing that they are a special class of people that deserve more respect and gratitude than anyone else who does their job.

Fuck, dude! You are either a horrible troll or a horrible, bitter person. You should cease and desist breath IMMEDIATELY. Fuck you and your mother for pooping you out if her stinky, filthy, hairy, diseased hole.

Both of you please stop posting.

Cleveland Steamer
11-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Nope, not trying to discredit anyones work, just don't want to hear about how tough you think you got it.

the problem is just because you watched The Hurtlocker you think you know how tough they have it or don't have it. but you don't know. you're not a soldier. you haven't done their job or been in their shoes. you really know absolutely nothing about it. you don't even think modern American soldiers make sacrifices.

i have a feeling this all really about being bitter because nobody tells thispego thank you on veterans day.

I Cut
11-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Both of you please stop posting.

Yeah. I really don't remember hitting "Quote" for any of your postings so kindly piss off. Thanks for playing. If I recall there's an ignore button or simply ignore me. Either way i'll sleep good at night. Grazie tanto

Summers
11-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Yeah. I really don't remember hitting "Quote" for any of your postings so kindly piss off. Thanks for playing. If I recall there's an ignore button or simply ignore me. Either way i'll sleep good at night. Grazie tanto

Sorry, what is your problem exactly? I just don't think you're helping this thread by posting the obscene things you did. Also, you clearly have no sense of humor.

edited: spelling

Summers
11-13-2010, 08:13 PM

I Cut
11-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Sorry, what is your problem exactly? I just don't think you're helping this thread by posting the obscene things you did. Also, you clearly have no sense of humor.

edited: spelling

Why do you care. All your caring soul needs to know is SO FAR I have no problem with you. I have no issue with you. YOU have directly addressed me twice. I'm simply responding to you. Continue to have a nice fucking day. :toast

thispego
11-13-2010, 09:10 PM
thispego,

Would love to sit down over a beer and discuss you views. I've met up with Mouse, Big Z, Chalup, Paki, would love the opportunity to sit down with you.

But, I think you're one of this guys, you know, the tough guy -- I need attention because my mommy never loved me guys -- who have to be tough in the forum.

Let's have a beer or three talk about like men and maybe we can come to an understanding.

Let me know bro -- anytime -- the invitation is out there.
--PG

well, I live in Lubbock now so it wouldn't be anytime soon, but maybe I'll take you up in the offer sometime. Don't really see a need for coming to an understanding, though, you probay won't see my point of view on the subject and I probably won't see yours because we have different frames of reference.

And you are wrong, my mommy loves me very much :D

and I never have or ever will try to act tough on the forum or in real life, I just voice my opinions and alot of the time my opinion goes against the grain and for some reason people get real pissed off when you believe something opposite of what the masses believe

thispego
11-13-2010, 09:28 PM
the problem is just because you watched The Hurtlocker you think you know how tough they have it or don't have it. but you don't know. you're not a soldier. you haven't done their job or been in their shoes. you really know absolutely nothing about it. you don't even think modern American soldiers make sacrifices.

i have a feeling this all really about being bitter because nobody tells thispego thank you on veterans day.

Hurt locker? Never saw it. I have family and friends in the military and I know enough to make the assertations I do. I never said modern soldiers don't make sacrafices, I said that ww2 and nam vets made the real sacrifices, they were drafted and forced into service, they had no choice. Modern soldiers choose to enlist. And I am as grateful for your sacrafices as I am for the sacrafices that my garbage man makes. That's not a bad thing, is it?

ferg
11-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Hurt locker? Never saw it. I have family and friends in the military and I know enough to make the assertations I do. I never said modern soldiers don't make sacrafices, I said that ww2 and nam vets made the real sacrifices, they were drafted and forced into service, they had no choice. Modern soldiers choose to enlist. And I am as grateful for your sacrafices as I am for the sacrafices that my garbage man makes. That's not a bad thing, is it?
http://dannycarlino.com/images/uncle%20same%20douchebag.jpg

thispego
11-13-2010, 11:19 PM
okay

benefactor
11-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Here's a pic of my grandfather that my mom took at a veterans day gtg. He's holding a picture of the type of plane he flew.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs944.snc4/73770_175389162477604_100000195640180_666988_68682 8_n.jpg

CubanMustGo
11-14-2010, 10:55 PM
The P-38 Lightning ... great plane.

Your granddad looks wonderful - please thank him for his service!

tlongII
11-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Actually thispego does make some good points. The fact of the matter is being in the service is a job. My dad served during the Korean War and he enlisted because of the GI Bill and that is how he paid for his education. I appreciate what our soldiers do for us, but they are doing their job. If it was easy and there was no danger in it everybody would do it.

Cleveland Steamer
11-14-2010, 11:55 PM

i figured the "i know people who serve" line would be coming up at some point. everybody knows people and/or has family who serve. but most people aren't delusional or self centered enough to believe that makes them understand what soldiers go through. you really don't know anything about it. and it's pretty weak to try to disqualify somebody else's "sacrifice" because they chose to take it on rather than have it forced on them. you must have done magnificent things in your life to be the person who sets the parameters on what counts as a sacrifice and what doesn't.

i don't think you equating modern soldiers to garbage men is necessarily a bad thing. it's your opinion, and hey, you know some people who served so you must know what you're talking about. if anything though, i think it's pretty telling just how butthurt you are that you don't get any attention on veterans day while the people around you do.

Cyrano
11-15-2010, 12:26 AM
I spend a lot of time at my VFW post, being the service officer, and believe it or not, we don't sit in a big circle thanking each other endlessly. Just last week, I saw the following exchange:

Incredibly large retired marine: "How many Vietnam vets does it take to change a light bulb?"

WWII bomber pilot: "I don't know."

Large marine (doing a creditable Dennis Hopper impression): "You don't KNOW, 'cause you weren't THERE, man!"