PDA

View Full Version : With a full roster, the Clippers would have won

GSH
11-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Okay, those kinds of comments are all over different threads. Stop it - just stop it.

Two seasons ago, the Spurs played the Nuggets in Denver. The Nuggets were one of the best teams in the West. They finished the season with 54 wins, and gave the Lakers hell in the WCF. For that game, Pop chose to rest Tim, Tony, and Manu. The Spurs' starting lineup was: George Hill, Roger Mason, Matt Bonner, Kurt Thomas, and Bruce Bowen. The four reserves that played were: Udoka, Oberto, Hairston, and Vaughn.

The Spurs were every bit as competitive in that game as the Clippers were last night. They gave the Nuggets a run for their money, and actually looked like they might win the game in the second half. In the end, the Nuggets were too much. The final score was 104-96, Denver. Compare that to last night's game against the Clippers. The difference is that we know Denver had a good team, and they were in mid-season form. You can't even compare the Spurs talent that night to what the Clippers had on the floor last night.

Or has anyone forgotten the second round of the playoffs in 2007? With Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw suspended, the Suns basically used a 6-man rotation, and came within a hair of beating the Spurs. (Technically 7 man - Pat Burke played 3 goose-egg minutes.) There's no way to say that the Suns would have fared any better with Stoudamire and Diaw in the game. The game would have been played differently, but the outcome was still a coin toss.

With Gordon and Kaman on the floor, the game would have looked different. But it's just silly to act like that would have added up to an automatic win for the Clippers. The Spurs will need to play tough against the better teams in the league. But none of these other teams are laying down for them.

ajballer4
11-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Spurs never blow anybody out. It's very rare which is why I'm not worried at all about the results of these games. I'll take the 6-1 record any day of the week over a blowout win.

silverblk mystix
11-11-2010, 11:05 AM
if my aunt had a penis-she would be my uncle...

The_Worlds_finest
11-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Spurs would have lost, if they had less points then the clippers.

Texas_Ranger
11-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Spurs always play bad against teams that are without their best players. Nothing new here.

wontstartdumbthreads
11-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Okay, those kinds of comments are all over different threads. Stop it - just stop it.

Two seasons ago, the Spurs played the Nuggets in Denver. The Nuggets were one of the best teams in the West. They finished the season with 54 wins, and gave the Lakers hell in the WCF. For that game, Pop chose to rest Tim, Tony, and Manu. The Spurs' starting lineup was: George Hill, Roger Mason, Matt Bonner, Kurt Thomas, and Bruce Bowen. The four reserves that played were: Udoka, Oberto, Hairston, and Vaughn.

The Spurs were every bit as competitive in that game as the Clippers were last night. They gave the Nuggets a run for their money, and actually looked like they might win the game in the second half. In the end, the Nuggets were too much. The final score was 104-96, Denver. Compare that to last night's game against the Clippers. The difference is that we know Denver had a good team, and they were in mid-season form. You can't even compare the Spurs talent that night to what the Clippers had on the floor last night.

Or has anyone forgotten the second round of the playoffs in 2007? With Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw suspended, the Suns basically used a 6-man rotation, and came within a hair of beating the Spurs. (Technically 7 man - Pat Burke played 3 goose-egg minutes.) There's no way to say that the Suns would have fared any better with Stoudamire and Diaw in the game. The game would have been played differently, but the outcome was still a coin toss.

With Gordon and Kaman on the floor, the game would have looked different. But it's just silly to act like that would have added up to an automatic win for the Clippers. The Spurs will need to play tough against the better teams in the league. But none of these other teams are laying down for them.

And with 7 more inches, you'd have a foot.

lefty
11-11-2010, 11:43 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165774

GSH
11-11-2010, 12:11 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165774

Lefty has memorized the entire Internet
http://www.blogcdn.com/wow.joystiq.com/media/2007/08/south-park-no-life.jpg

Darkwaters
11-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Spurs never blow anybody out. It's very rare which is why I'm not worried at all about the results of these games. I'll take the 6-1 record any day of the week over a blowout win.

Yea, the Spurs do have a tendency to play down (or up) to their opponents level. Much like the Dallas Cowboys. Ok, so nothing like the Dallas Cowboys, b/c they've actually won a couple of games. Yea, forget the whole Cowboys thing, fuck those guys.

Go Spurs Go

ElNono
11-11-2010, 12:23 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/3/girls-emo-haircut.jpg

Oh, Gee!!
11-11-2010, 12:28 PM
those subtleties aren't reflected in win-loss records or playoff standings, so wgaf tbh

JWest596
11-11-2010, 12:33 PM
With a full roster, the Clippers would have won

But they didn't.

NRHector
11-11-2010, 12:35 PM
With a full roster the Spurs would have won 4 more championships

bigfan
11-11-2010, 12:43 PM
If I looked like Robert Redford I'd be in the movies.

lefty
11-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Lefty has memorized the entire Internet
http://www.blogcdn.com/wow.joystiq.com/media/2007/08/south-park-no-life.jpg
Or you are just too dumb

Lizard
11-11-2010, 12:55 PM
My grandmother was bald.....twice a week by my grandfather.:lol

YoMamaIsCallin
11-11-2010, 02:22 PM
This is a classic thinking error, to presume that changing a variable in a complex interaction will cause a linear change in the outcome. It just ain't necessarily so.

Besides, it's moot. The game happened, the outcome is what it was, now there's another game tomorrow. Let's move on.

I mean, if you want to make a point about how well the Spurs did or did not play, make that point directly, instead of saying something unsupportable.

Edit: oh so now I actually read the OP and GSH was arguing on my side. Sorry. Thread title misleading. Maybe put it in quotes next time?

100%duncan
11-12-2010, 07:13 AM
standing is better than blowouts. dont worry too much about the score winning is what matters more

Chieflion
11-12-2010, 07:19 AM
How about some people here read the original post instead of just looking at the title? Thanks. Have a good day.

TDMVPDPOY
11-12-2010, 08:22 AM
with a full roster then still wont beat the spurs...

dbestpro
11-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Spurs like to give the little teams of the league moral victories.

ohmwrecker
11-12-2010, 09:49 AM
The only thing I said was that last year's team would've let close games against bad teams slip away. This season the Spurs are closing out 4th quarters and they didn't have that ability at this point last season.

Drachen
11-12-2010, 10:34 AM
First of all, I am not one of the people who has been spouting off things like are in the thread title.

However, my only issue with playing bad teams close, is that our starters have to expend more energy/minutes on teams where they should be resting.

tuncaboylu
11-12-2010, 10:48 AM
One of the most meaningless thread of the forum...

lefty
11-12-2010, 10:52 AM
One of the most meaningless thread of the forum...
Its GSH, what did you expect ?

Agloco
11-12-2010, 11:10 AM

Negative, she'd simply be your tranny-aunt.