PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive: Garrett Temple to be Waived

Stephen Kersey
11-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Exclusive: Garrett Temple to be Waived (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/san-antonio-spurs-news/garrett-temple-to-be-waived-by-san-antonio-spurs/)
By Stephen Kersey | San Antonio Dispatch

Garrett Temple has been waived by the San Antonio Spurs, according to sources close to the team. Temple appeared in three games this season, totaling two points, two rebounds and two assists in 21 minutes of play.

He was originally signed by the Spurs on March 13th, 2010. After injuries depleted San Antonio’s point guard position, Temple stepped in and performed better than expected. He started four games, averaging 11.3 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.5 assists. In his first start, he scored 15 points, dished off four assists and grabbed three rebounds in leading the Spurs to a 95-86 win over the Sacramento Kings.

This past summer, Temple was supposed to be featured on San Antonio’s summer league team. However, in his first outing of summer league, the undrafted guard out of LSU suffered a sprained ankle that kept him out the remainder of the games.

During exhibition play this season, Temple failed to impress. In seven games, he averaged 3.6 points, 2.0 assists and 1.9 rebounds. He shot 36% from the field and missed both of his three-point attempts.

Das Texan
11-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Wonder who we are signing.

celldweller
11-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Wow, so much for being Pop's new favorite player.

CFH
11-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Damn, I liked Temple too, he looked good before the injury in summer league. Best of luck to him.

Samr
11-11-2010, 12:38 PM
I had a dream last night that the spurs waived gary neal (who, btw, is my new favorite underdog). Glad it wasn't him, but sucks for temple. Did quinn beat him out?

DesignatedT
11-11-2010, 12:39 PM
He hasn't looked like the same player as last year. good luck to the guy.

Juanobili
11-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Damn... this guy was supposed to be the next G. Hill

dunkman
There is no reason to have 4 PG's.

SenorSpur
Since he hasn't suited up for the past 2 games, it's not that much of a surprise.

What's next?

Dex
11-11-2010, 12:41 PM

So he was the next Next Tony Parker? :stirpot:

kaji157
I don´t like this, it was good to have a 3rd string PG that already knows part of our playbook (the one that says, give it to manu).
Idk why they did this, he had a guaranteed contract, so it should be for the rooster spot, i wonder who is comming.

bigfan
I liked the kid and hopefully he will end up someplace or in the development league.

alchemist
11-11-2010, 12:44 PM
seems like a good kid, hope things work out for him.

galvatron3000
11-11-2010, 12:54 PM
There is no reason to have 4 PG's.

Parker is the only one I'm familiar with for the 2010 team unless you mean one of the championship teams of old

Bruno
11-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Temple did almost nothing in preseason and regular season and the Quinn signing was a very bad sign for him. Today is the last day Temple was "free" for Spurs. There was no point in keeping him if Spurs had given up on him.

What is also interesting to note is that Gee is still on the roster while he costs money to Spurs. Have Spurs still some hope for him or is it just because they haven't found an interesting player to replace him? My guess is that it's the later and Gee will also be waived before November 25th when his contract will be $200K guaranteed.

Mal
11-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Quinn over him.... Come on

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-11-2010, 12:59 PM
:tu Congrats to Kersey for breaking it, we have ourselves another reliable source.

Bruno
11-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Jerrells is still available and will work out with other PGs this Friday in Minny. Spurs are allowed to re-sign him in one week. If he is still available and if Quinn hasn't been convincing, I can see Spurs waiving Quinn and re-signing Jerrells.

TJastal
11-11-2010, 01:01 PM

:lmao

This has been exactly what I've been saying since he arrived. WTF do we need with another George Hill on the team for? Isn't one enough?

And not even George Hill. Like George Hill Lite. I'm glad Pop finally shitcanned his ass.

Libri
11-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Jerrells is still available and will work out with other PGs this Friday in Minny. Spurs are allowed to re-sign him in one week. If he is still available and if Quinn hasn't been convincing, I can see Spurs waiving Quinn and re-signing Jerrells.

I don't know about you but I was giving Jerrells an edge over Temple during preseason.

nbaman99
11-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Wow, so much for being Pop's new favorite player.

maybe he will play in the D league for a while.

bigdog
11-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Sad to see him go, but I'm not surprised. Since his injury, he hasn't impressed at all. I hope he lands a gig somewhere else, though. He is definitely talented.

Solid D
11-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Temple couldn't defend quick PGs very well and he showed a poor ability to break a press in the backcourt. Plus, he wasn't scoring well when given the opportunity.

For defense and scoring, I certainly like Jerrells over Quinn, although Jerrells makes some horrible passes. When Tony needs a breather, George, Manu, Neal and Quinn are the choices to defend opposing PGs. Pick your poison, at this point.

timvp
11-11-2010, 01:19 PM
I'm somewhat surprised since Temple played so well last year and did well in his few minutes of summer league. He also had a chance to be the team's best perimeter defender.

That said, he was horrible in preseason and in his minutes this season. He needs to keep improving his offensive game. As of right now, his offense isn't good enough to survive in the NBA. At the very least, he needs to become a quality three-point shooter.

Spurs Brazil
11-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Temple was terrible during preseason and regular season

Smart move by the Spurs

Good luck Temple

Blackjack
11-11-2010, 01:22 PM

Me too. :tu

Jerrells was without a doubt their best player fighting for a spot in camp this year and between Temple costing them money now and CJ still being available, getting him back in the program seems a pretty logical conclusion.

You just can't go out and find a third-string point with that kind of corporate knowledge or ability (assuming the pre-season play wasn't an aberration - which it didn't seem to be).

ChumpDumper
11-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Can't keep 'em all with the tax situation. It would be nice if Jerrells made it back, but for now they can stand pat or even dump Quinn without replacing him. We'll see what happens.

TJastal
11-11-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm somewhat surprised since Temple played so well last year and did well in his few minutes of summer league. He also had a chance to be the team's best perimeter defender.

That said, he was horrible in preseason and in his minutes this season. He needs to keep improving his offensive game. As of right now, his offense isn't good enough to survive in the NBA. At the very least, he needs to become a quality three-point shooter.

Temple couldn't defend quick PGs very well

Temple was a jack of all trades, master of none.. which in most nba rosters nowadays = a pink slip.

Spurs Brazil
11-11-2010, 01:30 PM
GTemp2
I want to thank the Spurs for giving me the opportunity. I enjoyed playing in front of these fans, they will be missed. Preciate the love SA

Stephen Kersey
11-11-2010, 01:32 PM
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2377/dispatchtweett.jpg

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3920/templetweet.jpg

Blackjack
11-11-2010, 01:34 PM

Sentiment echoed.

It's really quite amazing how far he fell after that ankle injury. Temple looked to be on his way to being a long-term fit as a role player for the Spurs. And to think how well he did after being picked up off the street and starting for the Spurs when they absolutely needed someone to take the reins while Tony and George were dealing with injuries?

I think the guy's got a future in the league. I'm not sure what happened after that ankle injury, if he's just never been able to find his rhythm again (for whatever reason) or if he had an artificial confidence that's bubble finally burst, but something did.

Great guy and I wish him all the best.

timvp
11-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Props on the scoop. Couple weeks on the job and you have more scoops than most local media outlets have produced in the last decade :tu

SenorSpur
11-11-2010, 01:39 PM
It's really too bad that Temple didn't work out. Since the preseason backup PG battle came down to Temple versus Jerrells, I wouldn't be surprised if Jerrells is recalled, when the Spurs are permitted to do so.

Gagnrath
11-11-2010, 01:40 PM
I rather like temple as a player, plays hard defense can stay with most point guards, all shooting guards and all but the largest small forwards, runs an offense competently, and while he needs to work on the catch and shoot is a decent distributor and has an ok drive to the rim.

I don't know that he has a place on the current roster but he would be a good back-up for most teams, SA just has a plethora or people who can handle pg duties but aren't exactly full time point guards right now. Interestingly I can see the heat picking him up, he definitely would be good for them with the defense and no demands for the ball on offense.

Texas_Ranger
11-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Good luck Temp.

GSH
11-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Having a 6'5" PG to go with some undersized 2's sounded like a great thing on the defensive end. On the offensive end, he wasn't going to get any minutes as a shooting guard with Anderson and Neal knocking them down. And he wasn't convincing at the point after the injury. That pretty much leaves him out of the picture.

He needed to be a really solid PG (right now), or to turn into Bruce Bowen 2.0 on the defensive side, to get any minutes. They probably did him a favor letting him go now. Hopefully he will go somewhere he can continue to develop. Maybe he can play in Europe for a few years and come back like Anthony Parker.

ChumpDumper
11-11-2010, 01:55 PM
I imagine he'll probably go back to the valley if he clears waivers and isn't immediately signed thereafter.

Sausage
11-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Just confirmed on the Spurs website

SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have waived guard Garrett Temple. Temple appeared in three games this season totaling 2 points, 2 rebounds and 2 assists in 21 minutes.

Temple was signed originally by San Antonio on March 13, 2010. He appeared in 12 games during the 2009-10 season, averaging 6.2 points and 1.1 rebounds in 14.8 minutes.

The Spurs roster now stands at 13.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_waive_garrett_temple_101111.html

coyotes_geek
The way the Spurs have played the revolving door game with their d-league guys the last few years I wouldn't rule out Temple finding his way back onto the team some time before season's end.

TJastal
I rather like temple as a player, plays hard defense can stay with most point guards, and all but the largest small forwards, runs an offense competently, and while he needs to work on the catch and shoot is a decent distributor and has an ok drive to the rim.

I don't know that he has a place on the current roster but he would be a good back-up for most teams, SA just has a plethora or people who can handle pg duties but aren't exactly full time point guards right now. Interestingly I can see the heat picking him up, he definitely would be good for them with the defense and no demands for the ball on offense.

This is why he was cut... the spurs didn't need a jack of all trades player like Temple. For everything Temple did (and I think you were being plenty generous in your assessment of his skills), the spurs have someone who can do it better.

Pop obviously didn't trust Temple as a backup point guard (which is what his main job was supposed to be, I guess) and Gary Neal had pretty much locked down a role as a sharpshooter.

ElNono
11-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Can we dispel the myth that he was Pop's favorite guy and concentrate on talking down his contribution last season now that he's gone? :lol

Jimcs50
11-11-2010, 02:12 PM
In apparent attempt to get the their roster to the 13-man minimum, the Spurs have waived backup point guard Garrett Temple.

Temple appeared in 12 games last season after signing a pair of 10-day contracts. He had only appeared in three games this season, and had been inactive for three straight, pushed down the bench by the arrival of Chris Quinn on Nov. 5.

Temple was part of the only father-son duo in Spurs history. His father, Collis, spent 24 games with the ABA Spurs in 1974-75.

Obstructed_View
11-11-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm tempted to call Temple a jack of no trades in an NBA body, but Pop wasn't giving him any minutes. That makes him a casualty of the infamous "not showing in practice" curse that plagued other talented Spurs players. Not sure how there was any other outcome from this.

Last night made it pretty clear that the Spurs need a second point guard because the offense goes to complete hell when Parker goes to the bench. My guess is that Chris Quinn gets a two or three game audition until CJ's available again.

Jimcs50
11-11-2010, 02:13 PM
oops...nevermind...already posted

Gagnrath
11-11-2010, 03:18 PM
This is why he was cut... the spurs didn't need a jack of all trades player like Temple. For everything Temple did (and I think you were being plenty generous in your assessment of his skills), the spurs have someone who can do it better.

Pop obviously didn't trust Temple as a backup point guard (which is what his main job was supposed to be, I guess) and Gary Neal had pretty much locked down a role as a sharpshooter.

Oh I am being fairly generous skills wise, he's not exactly a world beater in any one regard but he does handle pressure well and keep his head attached in pressure situations. He's also really versatile which is why I really liked having him on the team, yes anything Temple did someone else on the team did better but that was their specialty he's should have been being ready to do what ever was asked of him on any given night, Your second string PG has a dislocated shoulder, Temple for 15 minutes as back-up PG, your back-up SF has a broken foot Temple for 10 minutes at SF, You want to give your aging starting 2 guard a night off, Temple for 10 at SG. I might be crazy but the value of a guy who can play at an NBA level in 3 positions even if it is a second string NBA level is definitely worth the NBA, second year min contract price of 700,000.

wildbill2u
11-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Despite his showing last year and Pop's designation of him as a 'favorite guy", Temple played his way out of Pop's good graces. Just goes to show that Pop doesn't play favorites with his 'favorite' guys.

Maybe it was a second year let-down or injury or whatever. I hope the young man will work hard whereever he winds up and follow his dream of being a NBA player.

Good luck to you, Garrett.

#2!
11-11-2010, 04:08 PM
So will KSAT or EN have to say "according to a report from the San Antonio Dispatch today..?"

Chomag
11-11-2010, 04:10 PM
I don´t like this, it was good to have a 3rd string PG that already knows part of our playbook (the one that says, give it to manu).
Idk why they did this, he had a guaranteed contract, so it should be for the rooster spot, i wonder who is comming.

It's ok because we have Chris Quinn now! Shoot me..

timtonymanu
11-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Saw this coming.

It sucks because Temple looked very promising before his injury. I wish him the best.

lefty
11-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Nice tweet by Temple

The Btown Spur
11-11-2010, 04:22 PM
I was lucky enough to meet Garrett, and he was a really nice guy. i wish him the best and I'm sure he will find a team soon.

Ditty
11-11-2010, 04:26 PM
hope he finds his way to austin and get him later in the year and get rid of chris quinn now and get jerrals, and go after a small foward I was saying de'sean butler before anderson got hurt but maybe the spurs will go after stanley robinson :)

DaDakota
11-11-2010, 04:33 PM
We need him back in Houston with all of our injuries.

DD

crc21209
11-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Well I'm not too surprised by this move, seeing as he didnt capitalize off of the momentum he built last year...too bad, he seemed like a good guy.

ChumpDumper
11-11-2010, 04:39 PM
hope he finds his way to austinI believe his D-League rights belong to the Vipers.

Anonymous Cowherd
11-11-2010, 05:07 PM
does this mean Gee's in?

Bruno
11-11-2010, 05:20 PM
does this mean Gee's in?

No, it doesn't. Gee is still on the hot seat.

Kori Ellis
11-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Good job by the San Antonio Dispatch :smokin ESPN Insider gave SD credit for the Garrett Temple news.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

http://sanantoniodispatch.com/espn-dispatch-pub.jpg

angelbelow
11-11-2010, 05:34 PM

This would be awesome. I really like Jerrels, hes developed quite well over the past year. Most likely he remains with the Toros but if he can keep the same rate of improvement over this next year..

rAm
11-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Good job by the San Antonio Dispatch :smokin ESPN Insider gave SD credit for the Garrett Temple news.

haha awesome, you guys are already an accredited news source!

duncan228
11-11-2010, 05:36 PM

So did 48 Minutes of Hell. Nicely done SA Dispatch. :tu

Reports: Garrett Temple waived (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/san-antonio-spurs-waive-garrett-temple)

Reports are coming out that the San Antonio Spurs have waived Garrett Temple. The San Antonio Dispatch was the first to report the news (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/san-antonio-spurs-news/garrett-temple-to-be-waived-by-san-antonio-spurs/):

Keep Reading... (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/san-antonio-spurs-waive-garrett-temple)

Anonymous Cowherd
11-11-2010, 05:48 PM
No, it doesn't. Gee is still on the hot seat.

Now that Anderson's out for a good while.....?

ChumpDumper
11-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Now that Anderson's out for a good while.....?That means Gee might get a chance to play, but he can now be cut at any time without penalty. It's possible they are looking for other options already.

Big P
11-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Resign Jerrells!

Ocotillo
11-11-2010, 06:16 PM
After last season, I had high hopes we had a solid third point guard option. Best of luck to him (maybe Europe?) and I would like to see CJ back now.

Obstructed_View
11-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Jacque Vaughn!

spursballer21
11-11-2010, 07:10 PM
good job by the san antonio dispatch :smokin espn insider gave sd credit for the garrett temple news.

congrats kori and tim mvp

NASpurs
11-11-2010, 07:18 PM

Awesome news! Now rats like Don Harris and the Express News can bugger off when they "break" news by obviously swiping it from here.

NASpurs
11-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Jacque Vaughn!

I know you're joking but that's like some our worst nightmare. For Jacque Vaughn to take Temple's spot and Finley to take Anderson's spot. :lol

Leonard Curse
11-11-2010, 07:23 PM
ok this with the james anderson injury makes perfect timing to sign old corpses to the team to make pop happy

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-11-2010, 07:31 PM

Very nice! Good job guys :) :tu.

ChuckD
11-11-2010, 07:36 PM
That means Gee might get a chance to play, but he can now be cut at any time without penalty. It's possible they are looking for other options already.

They'd better sign that "other option" first. They can't cut anyone now without dropping below the minimum 13 on the roster.

Bruno
11-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Before the Anderson injury, I was quite sure Gee was on his way out. The Anderson's injury has rushed the process and I think Spurs are actively looking at free agents. However, this process could take a little time. Spurs have a b2b Saturday and Sunday. It's possible that they haven't signed the replacement for these two games which could give Gee an opportunity to show Pop that they will do a mistake by waiving him.

They'd better sign that "other option" first. They can't cut anyone now without dropping below the minimum 13 on the roster.

That's false.
Teams are allowed to carry only 12 players but they have two weeks to go back at a 13 players roster.

duncan228
11-11-2010, 08:02 PM
:wakeup

Just completely spitballing, but I think #spurs waived Temple in order to sign Anderson replacement. Only way timing makes sense.

@JMcDonald_SAEN Trade? Resign Jerrels after 30 days is up? Free Agent? Can't figure CIA Pop out. Most likely nothing we'd expect.

@DavidcReyna Hard to explain entire theory in 140 chars, but find it odd Spurs would commit to rolling w/ 12 thru mid-Jan. Something's up.

Spursfan092120
11-11-2010, 08:06 PM

Congrats you guys.. :) Keep up the good work.

Bruno
11-11-2010, 08:07 PM
McDonald is a little clueless for a beat writer.

3 months ago:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4586046&postcount=88

Temple:
Temple's contract is $110K guaranteed. When do you the prorating and include waivers with working days, the deadline, where he will start to hurt Spurs more, is November 11th for the tax and November 16th for his salary.

The deadline was November 11th and they waived him on November 11th. That's so odd...

Obstructed_View
11-11-2010, 09:16 PM
McDonald is a little clueless for a beat writer.

3 months ago:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4586046&postcount=88

The deadline was November 11th and they waived him on November 11th. That's so odd...

It's not odd. RC read your post and marked up his calendar. :)

Das Texan
11-11-2010, 09:18 PM

The Express Rag is going to be angries.

jag
11-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Temple was a class act and he always worked his ass off. It sucked to see him get injured at the beginning of Summer League, especially after how good he looked last season.

Truth4sale$
11-12-2010, 01:10 AM
It's a buisness. Temple never got back on track from the summer league injury.

DBMethos
11-12-2010, 07:53 AM
Stickin' it to the Express News! I love it.

ChumpDumper
11-12-2010, 01:53 PM
BTW the Wolves signed Sundiata Gaines, so Jerrells is still available.