PDA

View Full Version : Report: Miami, Phoenix start talking to Erick Dampier again

duncan228
11-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Report: Miami, Phoenix start talking to Erick Dampier again (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/11/report-miami-phoenix-start-talking-to-erick-dampier-again/)
Kurt Helin

The Erick Dampier free agency experiment really has defied easy explanation.

He was bought out by the Charlotte Bobcats back well before the season to save cash, that was a given. Then we expected he would latch on pretty quickly somewhere — he’s a serviceable backup big man who would play for near the minimum, and a lot of teams could use on of those. He met and flirted with teams throughout training camp, a veteran taking his time to avoid some two-a-days before picking a team and jumping in.

That team was Houston (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/29/wojnarowski-dampier-agrees-to-one-year-deal-with-rockets/), according to his agent just as the season had started. Except that never happened (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/07/erick-dampier-not-nearly-as-much-of-a-rocket-as-we-may-have-previously-thought/). The official line is the Rockets had to cut a player from their roster to make room for Dampier but they couldn’t find a trade partner. But as much as the Rockets need depth at center, something else is going on here.

Now a few teams that could use a big man — Miami, Phoenix and Toronto — have reopened talks, according to Ken Berger of CBSSports.com (http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/25772987?source=rss_blogs_NBA).

Miami was reportedly where Dampier wanted to go before, but after some initial talks Pat Riley backed away saying the Heat could make do with the guys on the roster (Joel Anthony, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Jamaal Maglorie). Kind of like the Rockets just did, which brings up the “why?” question.

However, that whole “go with the guys on the roster” thing hasn’t worked out so well, so Miami is back and talking to Dampier, who is a more complete package than any of their existing bigs not named Bosh. However, Miami would be in the same situation as Houston in needing to make a trade or buy out a guaranteed deal of someone to create a roster spot.

Both Phoenix and Toronto makes sense in that both have had subpar play out of the center position so far this season.

lefty
11-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Miami was reportedly where Dampier wanted to go before, but after some initial talks Pat Riley backed away saying the Heat could make do with the guys on the roster (Joel Anthony, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Jamaal Maglorie)

Riley, wut?

SenorSpur
11-11-2010, 01:41 PM
As undersized as Miami is, they would be BIG FOOLS not to go after Dampier - again.

Jose Canseco
11-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Agree with that.

If Pat Riley doesn't sign Dampier (if he's interested) then Riley wants Spoelstra to fail.

Booharv
11-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Its so obvious, really. If Dampier didn't have that horrible contract he'd be more appreciated. He really runs the floor and is a tremendous offensive rebounder, who has led the league in in offensive rebound rate twice. Plus he doesn't take bad shots, hence his consistent 60+ fg%. He should be starting by next weekend tbh, considering what I've seen from Anthony so far this season.

mavsfan1000
11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Its so obvious, really. If Dampier didn't have that horrible contract he'd be more appreciated. He really runs the floor and is a tremendous offensive rebounder, who has led the league in in offensive rebound rate twice. Plus he doesn't take bad shots, hence his consistent 60+ fg%. He should be starting by next weekend tbh, considering what I've seen from Anthony so far this season.
Dampier used to be good at those things. He has really slowed down though. If he can't help Dallas, than he really can't help anyone imo. Dallas was the perfect fit for his style.

Zelophehad
11-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Z's jumper has been tight this year but he's old and physically unable to compete with elite bigs anymore. I've watched several Heat games and Anthony might be the worst starting center in the NBA. Guy can't grab a rebound to save his life and is beyond worthless on offense. I don't understand why they're fucking around, if they had to give him a 3 ys $6 million deal they should do it, fucking around over the minimum is a joke.

Zelophehad
11-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Dampier used to be good at those things. He has really slowed down though. If he can't help Dallas, than he really can't help anyone imo. Dallas was the perfect fit for his style.

Joel Anthony.

pauls931
11-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Too bad he has a bad contract. I was originally against him because he is old, but the way Robin 'Sideshow Bob' Lopez is playing, I'd take a corpse in his place right now. I'm still trying to figure out how he played worth a damn last season, then instantaneously went back to shitty.

crc21209
11-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Phoenix? Naaahhh, I doubt Riley passes on Dampier a 2nd time...he'll be in a Miami uniform soon...

crc21209
11-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Too bad he has a bad contract. I was originally against him because he is old, but the way Robin 'Sideshow Bob' Lopez is playing, I'd take a corpse in his place right now. I'm still trying to figure out how he played worth a damn last season, then instantaneously went back to shitty.

Ala Roger Mason Jr....:lol