PDA

View Full Version : Do the Spurs Have the Tools for Another Championship?

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-11-2010, 01:28 PM
A few weeks ago, I posted what I felt were the 5 keys (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164344) to the Spurs winning it all...

1 - Stay healthy.

So far, so good. The fact that BOTH Manu and Tony stayed home this summer and didn't play international ball helps a LOT.

2 - Spurs return to championship level defense.

The jury is very much still out on this one... as to whether or not they'll be able to regain defensive dominance.

3 - Tony Parker has a big bounce-back season.

Tony looks good to me. I think, right now, he's just letting the game come to him. When he needs to attack, he'll attack. When he needs to be a facilitator, he'll do that. He's healthy; I like what I've seen so far, and I think he'll have an excellent year.

4 - Richard Jefferson steps up in his sophomore San Antonio Season.

RJ has been incredible thus far. Looks like a completely different player... like the all-star caliber guy we saw in his NJ days. No reason to think it won't continue.

5 - The rookies come through.

Splitter is the biggest part of this equation, and we haven't seen much of him yet, obviously. But what I saw from him against the Clippers Wednesday night was VERY encouraging. I think he's going to be an impact player. Not necessarily in terms of PPG, but his all around game will make a big difference here, I believe.

As for the backcourt rookies, Anderson has looked solid early on. Playing D, knocking down shots. But Gary Neal has been the pleasant surprise of the season to this point. The Spurs have plenty of ways to force opposing defenses to collapse in on the paint. But they DESPERATELY needed a knock-down shooter or two to take advantage of that ability. Neal and Anderson seem to be filling that need quite nicely.

In Short... I think, so far, we can put a check mark by 4 of these 5 keys. The one we have to watch for now is DEFENSE.

On a scale of 1-10, in their championship seasons, they were a 10, defensively. Last couple years... maybe a 7 or 7.5. With Duncan a step slower and Bowen gone, I don't think they can quite get back to their level of defense in prior championship seasons. Being a 10 this year, defensively, may not be realistic. But an 8.5... maybe so. And I think that'd be enough.

Splitter is a big piece of the puzzle, defensively. So it'll be interesting to see how this San Antonio defense shapes up as he continues to get his legs under him.

But as of now, in my humble opinion, the Spurs DO have the tools to compete for a championship this year.

lefty
11-11-2010, 01:39 PM
No shit

Sorry, I meant Thanks

Agloco
11-11-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't honestly think that they do...... at least right now.

Although Splitter looked like he wanted to play some defense last night, the Spurs dont have any reliable options on the defensive end: interior or perimeter. Until at least one of those issues is addressed or corrected, I'll have to continue to say no.

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-11-2010, 02:03 PM
I don't honestly think that they do...... at least right now.

Although Splitter looked like he wanted to play some defense last night, the Spurs dont have any reliable options on the defensive end: interior or perimeter. Until at least one of those issues is addressed or corrected, I'll have to continue to say no.

Well, the defensive end is the question mark I still have as well. But I really do think the defense will tighten up, and Splitter will be a big part of that. In addition to the direct impact he'll have... defensive energy can be contagious, and I think Splitter will bring that energy.

They won't get back to what they were defensively in previous championship seasons, but I think they'll improve on their defense over the past couple of years... and this might be the deepest team, OFFENSIVELY, we've ever seen here. That's why, all things considered, I think they've got the tools, if they can put it all together and stay healthy.

GSH
11-11-2010, 02:14 PM
No shit

Sorry, I meant Thanks

If the Spurs don't have the tools for another championship, I know where they can find a major one.

dastrey
11-11-2010, 02:15 PM
The defense is terrible right now but it will get better. Blair is getting torched. Duncan's pick and roll defense has looked bad as well. Splitter looks very mobile but the jury is out on whether he can defend the post. I hope to see Anderson's minutes extend as he has shown some defensive potential.

lefty
11-11-2010, 02:21 PM
If the Spurs don't have the tools for another championship, I know where they can find a major one.
Burn !!!!!!!

Still mad because of the other thread you didnt see due to your stupidity? :lmao

GSH
11-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Burn !!!!!!!

Still mad because of the other thread you didnt see due to your stupidity? :lmao

Nope. I just noticed that about 75% of your posts consist of saying something nasty to or about another person. Major tool.

My dog used to pee on everything, too. If he can learn to stop, so can you.

lefty
11-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Nope. I just noticed that about 75% of your posts consist of saying something nasty to or about myself
Oh I see

wontstartdumbthreads
11-11-2010, 02:54 PM

In your mom's mouth?

lefty
11-11-2010, 02:56 PM
In your mom's mouth?
:lol

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-11-2010, 03:03 PM
The defense is terrible right now but it will get better. Blair is getting torched. Duncan's pick and roll defense has looked bad as well. Splitter looks very mobile but the jury is out on whether he can defend the post. I hope to see Anderson's minutes extend as he has shown some defensive potential.

I think the defense has been very inconsistent. They've shown some very good D at times. Again Splitter should be a big addition on that end of the floor.

I really don't think the jury is out on his post defense at all. The Spurs have been watching him play defense in the post on the international stage for a few years now, and love what he brings to the floor.

Just saw that Anderson is out 2 months with a stress fracture, unfortunately. Good thing Neal is playing so well.

Ginobilly
11-11-2010, 03:15 PM
In order for the Spurs to compete for a championship, their defense has to be as good as Boston's and L.A. Is it anywhere near? Not even close, but if Splitter somehow turns into David Robinson(2001-2003, at the least) throughout the course of the season, I like our chances. The reason for the major drop-off in Spurs defense has to be the decline in Duncan's mobility and the absence of Bruce Bowen. During the past 2-3 years, everybody has been snatching defensive rebounds away from Duncan.

Slydragon
11-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Every year I say yes and this year is the same.....sure i set myself up for a fall but it makes the year that much better. If i was a clippers fan i would be going into it the same way.

I never start a season and say to myself, gee we dont have what it takes this year but I"ll watch still.

Call me a blinded Spurs fan.

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-11-2010, 04:04 PM
In order for the Spurs to compete for a championship, their defense has to be as good as Boston's and L.A. Is it anywhere near? Not even close, but if Splitter somehow turns into David Robinson(2001-2003, at the least) throughout the course of the season, I like our chances. The reason for the major drop-off in Spurs defense has to be the decline in Duncan's mobility and the absence of Bruce Bowen. During the past 2-3 years, everybody has been snatching defensive rebounds away from Duncan.

To have a CHANCE, we don't necessarily have to match, say... Boston 100% defensively. We need to become one of the better defensive teams in the league... and I think the Spurs can do that with Splitter in the mix and a continued focus on tightening the D. But we don't have to be THE best. Not with our ability to score this year.

Offensively, I think the Spurs have a chance to be as good (that is to say, as effective and efficient) as any team in the league, which can atone for some defensive deficiencies, as long as they can at least get closer to what they once were on that end of the floor.

miserableman
11-11-2010, 04:38 PM
To have a CHANCE, we don't necessarily have to match, say... Boston 100% defensively. We need to become one of the better defensive teams in the league... and I think the Spurs can do that with Splitter in the mix and a continued focus on tightening the D. But we don't have to be THE best. Not with our ability to score this year.

Offensively, I think the Spurs have a chance to be as good (that is to say, as effective and efficient) as any team in the league, which can atone for some defensive deficiencies, as long as they can at least get closer to what they once were on that end of the floor.

Shouldn't you be sizing up the Spurs to the Lakers?

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Shouldn't you be sizing up the Spurs to the Lakers?

I was just using Boston as a DEFENSIVE benchmark.

miserableman
11-11-2010, 05:07 PM
I was just using Boston as a DEFENSIVE benchmark.

I get it. So when you say tools for another chip, these are benchmarked by previous Spurs years and not against other teams.

You guys seem more athletic as a team.. younger.. but I think in order for you guys to REALLY contend, RJ is gonna have to show up big in the playoffs. Because Manu, TP and TD, teams at least have a defensive plan for them.. effective or not. Splitter is a rook so there's no way he understands what nba playoff basketball is about. He will next year though.

Spursone
11-11-2010, 05:12 PM
To early to tell. But here are some observations: big 3 looking good, must stay healthy, rookies looking good, gaining confidence each game, defense is lacking, Jefferson is finally comfortable in the system and will be a key player throughout the season, Tiago a little lost, showing athletecism and will be fine as the season goes on. McDyess has recreated himself, he is more confident and hitting that mid range shot. Blair seems to be overplaying, his brain and body are not in synch right now, hopefully he comes out of it soon. Maybe he's distracted and is toying with that girl who owns that big bootacious cadunkadunk butt. I'd be distracted to.

GO Spurs GO!:flag:

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-11-2010, 05:17 PM
I get it. So when you say tools for another chip, these are benchmarked by previous Spurs years and not against other teams.

You guys seem more athletic as a team.. younger.. but I think in order for you guys to REALLY contend, RJ is gonna have to show up big in the playoffs. Because Manu, TP and TD, teams at least have a defensive plan for them.. effective or not. Splitter is a rook so there's no way he understands what nba playoff basketball is about. He will next year though.

Well, I just used Boston as a defensive benchmark, which I'm pretty sure falls in the "other teams" category. But even if I hadn't made that comparison... when it comes to measuring the Spurs' defense, the prior SA championships are a pretty good benchmark. There isn't a team in the NBA better defensively right now than any of the SA championship squads.

Every player is scouted thoroughly. There is a plan against EVERY player. As you mentioned, it's a matter of how effective those plans are.

Ginobili, Parker... and now Jefferson as well, are as good as they've ever been in their careers, right now. Duncan has lost a step, but is still one of the top 4 big men in the NBA. G.Hill is an up and coming scoring option. Spilitter will improve the post offense, and Neal/Anderson have plugged a the MAJOR perimeter shooting deficiency they suffered from last year.

Also, if the Spurs big 3 are all healthy and on the same page heading into the playoffs, it will be the first time in 4 years that's been the case. The international play over the summer has taken a toll on the Spurs over last few years. But everyone rested this summer, which is huge.

I have ZERO concern about SA's ability to hang with anyone, offensively, and that includes LA. It's all a matter to how well the defense comes together over the course of the season (and health, but that goes without saying).

And that's not to say that if the Spurs play great defense, they're GOING to beat the Lakers or win a championship... that is just to say that if the D is there, they have a VERY realistic chance of doing so.

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-11-2010, 05:28 PM
To early to tell. But here are some observations: big 3 looking good, must stay healthy, rookies looking good, gaining confidence each game, defense is lacking, Jefferson is finally comfortable in the system and will be a key player throughout the season, Tiago a little lost, showing athletecism and will be fine as the season goes on. McDyess has recreated himself, he is more confident and hitting that mid range shot. Blair seems to be overplaying, his brain and body are not in synch right now, hopefully he comes out of it soon. Maybe he's distracted and is toying with that girl who owns that big bootacious cadunkadunk butt. I'd be distracted to.

GO Spurs GO!:flag:

Yeah... for all the talk about Jefferson improving with a year of Spurs basketball under his belt, I think the same is true for McDyess. He too is more comfortable, and it's showing.

Blair is struggling right now, but he'll come around. I think the best role for him is a guy that can provide energy and spark off the bench. And as soon as Splitter is ready to play starter minutes, Blair will likely be on the bench. They might even go w/ McDyess in the starting lineup soon instead.

Tiago is still in training camp, for all intents and purposes. He'll be fine as well. He's a smart guy, by all accounts. As the season progresses, he'll catch on as well as any first-year player can in San Antonio.

miserableman
11-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Well, I just used Boston as a defensive benchmark, which I'm pretty sure falls in the "other teams" category. But even if I hadn't made that comparison... when it comes to measuring the Spurs' defense, the prior SA championships are a pretty good benchmark. There isn't a team in the NBA better defensively right now than any of the SA championship squads.

Every player is scouted thoroughly. There is a plan against EVERY player. As you mentioned, it's a matter of how effective those plans are.

Ginobili, Parker... and now Jefferson as well, are as good as they've ever been in their careers, right now. Duncan has lost a step, but is still one of the top 4 big men in the NBA. G.Hill is an up and coming scoring option. Spilitter will improve the post offense, and Neal/Anderson have plugged a the MAJOR perimeter shooting deficiency they suffered from last year.

Also, if the Spurs big 3 are all healthy and on the same page heading into the playoffs, it will be the first time in 4 years that's been the case. The international play over the summer has taken a toll on the Spurs over last few years. But everyone rested this summer, which is huge.

I have ZERO concern about SA's ability to hang with anyone, offensively, and that includes LA. It's all a matter to how well the defense comes together over the course of the season (and health, but that goes without saying).

And that's not to say that if the Spurs play great defense, they're GOING to beat the Lakers or win a championship... that is just to say that if the D is there, they have a VERY realistic chance of doing so.

Honestly, if I was Pop I would just tell Splitter to spend the entire season worrying about defense and forget the offense.. he can be a garbage man from the defense collapsing on the rest of the team.

I didn't think you were saying that the Spurs will beat the Lakers or whatever.. it's just that usually when one goes about calculating whether their team can win it all, they start by how they size up to the previous champs.. or at least the conference champs which happens to be the same in this case.

Just trying to figure out the rules so i can play.

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Honestly, if I was Pop I would just tell Splitter to spend the entire season worrying about defense and forget the offense.. he can be a garbage man from the defense collapsing on the rest of the team.

I didn't think you were saying that the Spurs will beat the Lakers or whatever.. it's just that usually when one goes about calculating whether their team can win it all, they start by how they size up to the previous champs.. or at least the conference champs which happens to be the same in this case.

Just trying to figure out the rules so i can play.

Yeah... I think you're right. And that most likely WILL be Splitter's primary task this year. Concentrate on defense and on being in the right spot on the floor at all times. But he will contribute a little post-up offense, and he'll get fed on pick-n-rolls and put-backs. Also, he seems to be very solid instinctively and in the fundamentals... setting great picks, passing, etc.

So even though he'll be encouraged to concentrate on D, I still think he represents a little bit of an offensive upgrade in the frontcourt over the minutes that would otherwise got to Blair, Bonner, etc.

I think they have enough offense, though. Splitter's D will be the biggest key. Looking forward to seeing him head to head against Gasol and other top bigs.

stealthjbravo
11-11-2010, 11:50 PM
6 - get scola back

UnWantedTheory
11-12-2010, 01:57 AM
6 - get scola back
Oh yeah! That would be a major upgrade on the wing and oh boy, our interior D would be awesome if we could just hm back.:rolleyes

DrSteffo
11-12-2010, 03:52 AM
1. With JA out not so good. 2. Very long way to go. 6. Perhaps would be a good idea to have more than one SF?

99-03-05-07
11-12-2010, 10:57 AM
1. With JA out not so good. 2. Very long way to go. 6. Perhaps would be a good idea to have more than one SF?

but wit JA out, could this help our bench? help create more opportunites for the inexperienced so when the playoffs come around they don't have the deer in the headlights look, kinda like Hill last year. he got a lot of valuable playing time cuz of parkers injury.:wakeup

Agloco
11-12-2010, 11:00 AM

As Ginobili and Parker point to the 2003 ship banner......

It's possible that Splitter and our other rooks come up big in the playoffs, yu never know. Besides, Splitter isn't exactly wet behind the ears

duncan_21
11-12-2010, 04:28 PM
If the spurs have a chance the #1 thing that has to happen is splitter needs to be a 30 mpg guy who can grab 6.5+ rebs. Then you can have mcdyess and blair come off the bench. This along w/rj playing like I thought he would actually creating his own offense in the half court game combined w/the 3 pt shooting from the rookies the spurs plugged some holes that were there last year. Still manu, tony, and td have to be healthy along w/ the above to have a fighting chance to win it all.

lal and bos have good bigs that make it tough to drive to the hoop and rebound. You have to match them w/ good bigs who can do the same as well as have shooters that can spread the floor out. After watching the 1st part of the season I'm more hopeful then I was before the season started. Still lal and bos are the clear favorites.

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Great piece here (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/tiago-splitter-and-the-dust-on-your-boxscore)on Tiago's defense. If Splitter is as good as it looks like he will be on that end of the floor, that could be the key ingredient to legitimately compete for another championship.

rmt
11-12-2010, 09:03 PM
I don't think that the Spurs can win another championship until there is an injury to both Kobe and KG in the playoffs.

Leonard Curse
11-12-2010, 09:27 PM
the spurs can definitely win a championship! if the celtics are being talked about then the spurs must be talked about i think we have a better mixture of youth and vets. yes the celtics look good right now so does L.A but going to the finals 3 years in a row ??

has to have some effect and if it doesnt maybe kobe sold his soul to the devil haha but i think the celtics are going to gas out towards the end, and i dont see how all that playing time doesnt catch up with L.A Duncan_21 is right about splitters minutes and hopefully pop stops being a dumbass and plays the kid. im thinking pop is easing tiago into the season and i do believe tiago will get those minutes, once he does i see the spurs competing for a championship tiago will make this team much better defensively

analyzed
11-12-2010, 11:10 PM
It's safe to say at this stage with RJ coming to his own , we are odds on bets to make it to the western conference finals opposite LA.

The question really is , can we get to the next level and be reasonable threats to beat LA ?

For us to get to that next level, it's got to come from the defensive end and I can't overemphasize the need for Tiago Splitter to play a major role.

We need Tiago to transform the big four to the BIG FIVE. Front court defense against LA's bigs Gasol, Bynum and Odom is critical, so is the last line of defense on switch offs. Tiago showing and switching on Kobe's drives.

Having your 5 best players playing 5 different positions: PG to center is a huge bonus to seriously competing for the ring.

If Tiago can fill that last piece of the 5, and change the complexion of the team from a mainly perimeter offensive oriented team to adding a interior defensive presence compliementing TD for that last line of D. .. Then only can we really say we will seriously be competing for that 5th ring !

DrSteffo
11-13-2010, 03:06 AM
but wit JA out, could this help our bench? help create more opportunites for the inexperienced so when the playoffs come around they don't have the deer in the headlights look, kinda like Hill last year. he got a lot of valuable playing time cuz of parkers injury.:wakeup

Of course when a player gets injured it might help another player gain experience but I do hope JA will be back in time for the PO and it would have been much better if he got the PT and experience. Also we need to limit our starters minutes a bit and injuries will not help.

At first I didn't understand your George Hill example because I thought Hill looked kind of lost against Nash and the Suns in the PO, like the deer in the headlights look. Experience is important but regular season and the PO is not the same thing.

Only positive thing to come out of the JA injury would be if we somehow would discover another SF who can be part of the rotation also in the PO.

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-13-2010, 07:26 PM
We need another big. Damp, Jason Thompson, K Love all could help and are out there for the taking.

I have to disagree. We DID need another big. Splitter IS that big. We're set now in the front court, IMO.

ohmwrecker
11-13-2010, 07:42 PM
I can't wait for Texas 2 Step's meltdown when Miami signs Dampier.

barbacoataco
11-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Let's be clear that we are talking about whether the Spurs can beat the Lakers. The Spurs can compete for a championship, but Splitter would have to be a defensive force in the post. If Splitter and McDyess can give Gasol a little trouble then the Spurs equalize the big adavntage the Lakers have had over them the last couple years. If Parker is playing up to potential he runs all over Fisher. But right now the Lakers are the clear favorites and they're playing great so far. Boston did take them to game 7 and would have won if Kendrick Perkins stayed healthy, so I think sometimes the Lakers are made out to be more un-beatable than they are.