PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Jackson available?

Shifty
11-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Stephen Jackson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=378), Bobcats
http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/378.jpg
Jackson
The enigmatic swingman's future with the Bobcats is a tricky read. For multiple reasons.
Besides the two years and $19.3 million left on his contract after this season, which some teams would balk at, Jackson is said to be a favorite of new majority owner Michael Jordan (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1035) after arriving last November from Golden State and teaming with Gerald Wallace (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1026) to power the Bobcats into the postseason for the first time in franchise history.
But Larry Brown's fondness for Jackson, by contrast, has been in question since opening night, when the Bobcats' 70-year-old coach stunningly benched his co-captain for the entire fourth quarter of a game in Dallas that was still as close as nine points inside the final six minutes. Jackson fumed after Charlotte's eventual 101-86 defeat -- and there haven't been any repeat benchings -- but one rival GM said Thursday night that he believes the 32-year-old is "gettable" largely because these two strong wills are bound to keep clashing.
Sources told ESPN.com that San Antonio flirted with reacquiring the playoff-tested Jackson during the offseason ... and that Brown didn't oppose Jackson's departure. If that's not a sufficient hint, multiple sources consulted this week told ESPN.com that Wallace is generally regarded as Charlotte's only untouchable.

:stirpot:

PDXSpursFan
11-12-2010, 03:24 PM
We don't need him.

PM5K
11-12-2010, 03:29 PM
He still has more balls than pretty much anyone in the NBA. I'd give up that bald guy that likes dudes for him.

Gagnrath
11-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Jackson would be a nice fit on the spurs on-court wise and last time he was here he apparently got along well enough with the people who are now the spurs leaders. That said Jackson is fuller of himself than he has any right to be, he wouldn't be happy with being a back-up to Jefferson and Ginobli, (though he would still probably see 25 minutes of action per night backing up those two spots and playing some small ball 4) , He's also very expensive to fold into the spurs current roster and pay-role without a complete rebuild mid season, who would you suggest to trade for him that even comes close to matching saleries?

ElNono
11-12-2010, 03:34 PM
http://young-alumni.com/lolgallery/data/media/2/1239772758989.jpg

tp2021
11-12-2010, 03:34 PM
He still has more balls than pretty much anyone in the NBA. I'd give up that bald guy that likes dudes for him.

I don't know about that. That very same bald guy has twice as many balls as SJax; his own, and Luke Walton's.

cd98
11-12-2010, 03:37 PM
What has Stephen Jackson done since leaving San Antonio? Oh, other than get suspended for wild behvior both on and off the court. I think Richard Jefferson's performance in the first few weeks has been impressive. If he keeps it up, he'll be far better than anything Jackson could have given us. Plus Jefferson is younger and more discliplined.

Kermit
11-12-2010, 03:53 PM
What has Stephen Jackson done since leaving San Antonio? Oh, other than get suspended for wild behvior both on and off the court. I think Richard Jefferson's performance in the first few weeks has been impressive. If he keeps it up, he'll be far better than anything Jackson could have given us. Plus Jefferson is younger and more discliplined.

It seems like he also pissed in your cheerios.

Muser
11-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Time for Larry Brown to do Pop a solid.

LeCrab
11-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Stephen jackson is garbage at this point in his career... he would hurt the spurs not help....

DesignatedT
11-12-2010, 04:05 PM
He isn't any better than RJ at this point. IMO

Lizard
11-12-2010, 04:20 PM
S-Jax is too old and expensive.

Spursfan092120
11-12-2010, 04:22 PM
http://www.freefoto.com/images/41/15/41_15_10---Stop-Sign_web.jpg?&k=Stop+Sign

JsnSA
11-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Assuming we would have to give up Jefferson to get Jackson, and that Jefferson continues his aggressive play, I would rather keep RJ. One key reason is that RJ is now comfortable with the Spurs system where as SJax would have to pick it up again.

Mel_13
11-12-2010, 04:30 PM
For some here at ST, the angst over the Scola trade is only surpassed by a yearning for the return of Jackson. I'm sure that any offseason flirtation by the FO with the notion of trading for Jackson occurred before the decision to resign RJ.

Acquiring SJax now would almost certainly require trading RJ in return(their contracts are virtually identical for the next three years, RJ's deal has a 4th year but he's also two years younger). Such a trade can't happen until Dec 15th. If RJ continues to play well, then the Spurs wouldn't be interested. If RJ reverts to last year's form, Charlotte wouldn't be interested. Ain't gonna happen.

Seventyniner
11-12-2010, 04:31 PM
The only way the Spurs can match Jackson's contract is with McDyess + Bonner (can't imagine the Bobcats wanting that package, and leaves the Spurs thin up front anyway), or straight up for RJ (I don't think either team does that deal).

rjv
11-12-2010, 04:34 PM
only if he was inexpicably waived.

lefty
11-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Oh fuck yes, I want him back !!!! :downspin::downspin::downspin::downspin::downspin:

- Familiar with the Spurs's culture, system and big 3 : check
- clutch: check
- defense: check
- badassness: check

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax !

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTB5MeWiqrgts9Ix-fEmBvmm5b4nRQTTpIoTKGJDvQFvdQVyj2Nfw

PM5K
11-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Yeah his D is being ignored by most here. Even if the bald guy did find his cojones, he still can't D like SJ.

tp2021
11-12-2010, 04:44 PM
For some here at ST, the angst over the Scola trade is only surpassed by a yearning for the return of Jackson. I'm sure that any offseason flirtation by the FO with the notion of trading for Jackson occurred before the decision to resign RJ.

Acquiring SJax now would almost certainly require trading RJ in return(their contracts are virtually identical for the next three years, RJ's deal has a 4th year but he's also two years younger). Such a trade can't happen until Dec 15th. If RJ continues to play well, then the Spurs wouldn't be interested. If RJ reverts to last year's form, Charlotte wouldn't be interested. Ain't gonna happen.

[/thread]

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-12-2010, 04:52 PM

I'm not saying that the Spurs should go out and get him but he has had highlights in the seasons after the brawl. He's kind of shown a Randy Moss pattern of a fantastic honeymoon period, especially with underdog teams, but he's only going to be as good as the lockerroom situation. He was a big part of that GSW that shocked the Mavs in 06, and then started fading around the same time that Don Nelson started losing interest in coaching as well. The deadline deal that got him to the Cats gave them just enough scoring punch to step up to being a playoff team.

I haven't watched enough Charlotte games to say where he is as far as defense and the rest go. He's probably got some big shots left in the tank but finding out how many he's got is probably not worth his price tag right now.

ChumpDumper
11-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Kind of a meh proposition after Jefferson's torrid start.

dunkman
11-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Interesting if the Spurs could trade Dice and Bonner for S-Jax and re-sign Dice 30 days later. It would solve the wing defender problem with a playoffs proven player.

ChumpDumper
11-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Interesting if the Spurs could trade Dice and Bonner for S-Jax and re-sign Dice 30 days later. It would solve the wing defender problem with a playoffs proven player.So they just lose every game for thirty days?

johnnyblues
11-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Jax for RJ? Pass. Next please.

Spur_Fanatic
11-12-2010, 05:03 PM
If he was against subbing behind Manu back in 2003...

Why he would agree to it now? :downspin:

Leonard Curse
11-12-2010, 05:31 PM
shoot why not have him start at the 2 parker /jax/ rj/ duncan /splitter then off the bench it could be hill/manu/rj-sjax/blair/dice yeah if they let us trade bonner/dice then have dice waived ! you would be dumb to not have jackson on your team

dunkman
11-12-2010, 05:31 PM
So they just lose every game for thirty days?

Till mid season, when Bonner can be traded, Splitter should become serviceable since he's not really a rookie.

bus driver
11-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Oh fuck yes, I want him back !!!! :downspin::downspin::downspin::downspin::downspin:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTB5MeWiqrgts9Ix-fEmBvmm5b4nRQTTpIoTKGJDvQFvdQVyj2Nfw

oh fuck yes!
:danceclub
:huddle:
:cheer

dbestpro
11-12-2010, 05:40 PM
No room in the inn. The only upgrades the Spurs should consider is a 3rd string PG and a combo SF/PF that is 6-9 or taller.

No more 6-7 or below guys playing in the paint.

EricB
11-12-2010, 05:53 PM
If the Spurs can get him for Bonner, McDyess (who comes back) and a first rounder, I'd do it.

Yeah if they were stupid enough for that trade you do it.

Jackson comes back. becomes the starter at the 2 allowing manu to rest come off the bench. Wing position depth solved.

crc21209
11-12-2010, 05:56 PM
If the Spurs can get him for Bonner, McDyess (who comes back) and a first rounder, I'd do it.

Shit I would sign off on this in a hearbeat. The Spurs would be set with a line-up of TP, Jax, RJ, TD, and Blair starting (for now)...with Hill, Manu, Anderson and Neal for 3-pt shooting, Dice, and Splitter off the bench. Wow...We would be STACKED! :tu

crc21209
11-12-2010, 06:00 PM

Dude has clutchness and balls like a motherfucker. I remember watching this Warriors-Lakers game where him and Kobe just went back and forth and eventually...Jax hit the dagger to ice the game. Heres the link...I'm not too sure on how to embed the video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UZQOVO6rLY

ChumpDumper
11-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Pretending is fun.

GSH
11-12-2010, 08:33 PM
He's kind of shown a Randy Moss pattern of a fantastic honeymoon period, especially with underdog teams, but he's only going to be as good as the lockerroom situation. He was a big part of that GSW that shocked the Mavs in 06, and then started fading around the same time that Don Nelson started losing interest in coaching as well. The deadline deal that got him to the Cats gave them just enough scoring punch to step up to being a playoff team.

It's exactly a Randy Moss pattern. People forget that when he was here he was known for losing as many games as he won. I think Pop even said that out loud once. That didn't change when he left here. He does some great things, but he also takes games off just like Moss. He looks for little things to get his feelings hurt over, and once that happens he never gets over it. He'll act happy for a few games, and then flare back up again. And he usually tries to create an us-and-them situation between the players and the coach. Other than that, he's great.

LeBron is already bitching publicly about his coach. Demarcus Cousins is such a problem child, the team had to hire his high school coach to try and keep him in line. Carmello's bitching is a constant distraction for that team. I'm just saying that some players can't be judged just by what they are capable of on the court.

I just don't think Jackson would be a net positive over whatever package we would have to give up to acquire him.

hitmanyr2k
11-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Shit I would sign off on this in a hearbeat. The Spurs would be set with a line-up of TP, Jax, RJ, TD, and Blair starting (for now)...with Hill, Manu, Anderson and Neal for 3-pt shooting, Dice, and Splitter off the bench. Wow...We would be STACKED! :tu

Isn't that just more small ball? The Lakers and Celtic frontlines would absolutely MURDER that lineup.

sananspursfan21
11-12-2010, 10:29 PM
at this point, i don't think i'd give anybody up for rj. he's doing what everybody expected him to do last year and he and manu are the only reasons the spurs beat the scrub teams

LOL@MavsFan
11-12-2010, 11:02 PM
The Scola threads think this is old already

LOL@MavsFan
11-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Isn't that just more small ball? The Lakers and Celtic frontlines would absolutely MURDER that lineup.

What about ESPN's Miami Hype?:rollin:lol

hitmanyr2k
11-12-2010, 11:25 PM
What about ESPN's Miami Hype?:rollin:lol

lol...Unless the Heat find personnel for their frontcourt they're not beating the Celtics in a series. It's obvious Bosh is overmatched against the likes of KG, Big Baby and Shaq and then to pour salt in the wound Kendrick Perkins isn't even back yet. Too much size and too much depth for Miami to handle.

Black_N_Silver
11-13-2010, 12:31 AM
Whether we need him or not, I don't want him. I really HATE inconsistency, and this guy is the definition of it.

Every time I look at a box score, it's much different then the game before.

We should just keep rolling how we are.

crc21209
11-13-2010, 12:39 AM

Notice I said "for now." We all know Blair isnt going to last as the starter. It's only a matter of time before Splitter takes his spot and we have TD and Splitter starting with Dice and Blair coming off the bench. Not bad...

ezau
11-13-2010, 12:59 AM
If he was being traded for RJ last year I'll do it in a heartbeat. With the way RJ has been exploding this year, no thanks.

TDMVPDPOY
11-13-2010, 01:06 AM
if we get jax

and dice back in 30 days

i go put 500 on the spurs to win the whole thing....that long 3 hard headed defender and can score when needed to....DO IT!!!

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-13-2010, 01:24 AM
If he was against subbing behind Manu back in 2003...

Why he would agree to it now? :downspin:

Probably because he wouldn't be subbing behind Manu :rolleyes

UnWantedTheory
11-13-2010, 02:58 AM

How? According to he who said this....Sjax would replace Manu in the starting lineup...Sjax is 6-8...Manu is 6-6. Thats the only difference as to what we are doing at this moment. But if you insert Splitter, than its not so small. Not that I agree with what was said. Just saying.

TDMVPDPOY
11-13-2010, 03:06 AM
u do this trade for the powershift

DAF86
11-13-2010, 06:17 PM
When I first saw this I thought "meh", because I like our current wing rotation and S-Jax is too old and expensive, but after giving it a second thought Jackson would provide us a lot of things that we're lacking right now: toughness, height on the wings, and specially perimeter defense, I think he would be a great option to throw at Kobe.