PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Magic general manager resigns to pursue job in hockey

ducks
05-23-2005, 06:27 PM
Orlando Magic general manager resigns to pursue job in hockey
By MIKE BRANOM, Associated Press Writer
May 23, 2005

Photo
AP - May 23, 4:36 pm EDT
More Photos
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- John Weisbrod always had his eyes on the prize, just not the one the Orlando Magic were shooting for.

Weisbrod resigned as the general manager of the Magic on Monday only 14 months after the former pro hockey player was hired to rebuild a moribund franchise in his own hard-nosed style. He will now return to hockey and pursue opportunities in the sport he truly loves.

``It's not in the best interest of the organization of having a GM that, in his heart, would trade three NBA championships for one Stanley Cup,'' said Weisbrod, also the team's chief operating officer.

Magic senior vice president Pat Williams told The Associated Press on Monday that Weisbrod ``did a good job and will be missed.'' The team's basketball operations will now be handled by director of player personnel Dave Twardzik and director of player development Otis Smith.

Weisbrod's effectiveness began to show up last season as the Magic finished 36-46, a 15-game improvement over the year before, but his trading acumen was often questioned as he made bold -- some would say reckless -- moves while attempting to reshape the roster.

First, he used the No. 1 pick in the draft to select high schooler Dwight Howard, instead of going with the ``safe choice'' of polished college senior Emeka Okafor, this season's NBA rookie of the year.

Less than a week later, Weisbrod pulled off his legacy-defining trade and gained instant criticism when he sent forward Tracy McGrady -- a disgruntled superstar with two scoring titles and an erratic attitude -- to Houston in a seven-player deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
``The organization needed a bulldozer,'' Weisbrod said. ``I feel like I had the personality and thick enough skin to do that.''

After the McGrady trade, Weisbrod was tagged by his critics as a hardheaded ``hockey guy.'' McGrady's success and Houston's eventual playoff bid didn't help matters.

There was some truth to that label. Weisbrod, a former minor leaguer within the San Jose Sharks' system, acknowledged that his direct style works better with hockey players.

``I feel like I belong in a rink,'' Weisbrod said.

Weisbrod joined the Magic's parent company, RDV Sports, in 1997 as vice president and general manager of the Orlando Solar Bears of the International Hockey League. He took over RDV in 2000 before the Magic hired him.

Still in the midst of a coaching search, Weisbrod's departure now leaves the Magic with two holes to fill.

Orlando fired coach Johnny Davis in March and decided last week not to stay with interim coach Chris Jent. A new coach will be hired soon, perhaps in the coming days, team president/chief executive officer Bob Vander Weide said.

Meanwhile, ESPN.com reported later Monday the Magic would hire as their new coach Brian Hill, who led Orlando to its only NBA finals appearance in 1995. A Magic spokesman declined comment.

Updated on Monday, May 23, 2005 6:32 pm EDT