PDA

View Full Version : Hey! Remember when NPR claimed...

Yonivore
11-12-2010, 04:35 PM
...they didn't receive that much federal money and inferred it wouldn't be missed if it evaporated?

Yeah, well, that was before the talk of defunding their asses got cranked up after the Republican "shellacking" of Democrats in the mid-terms.

They're singing a new tune now:

NPR: Don’t Cut CPB Funding (http://www.rwonline.com/article/109194)

NPR says a proposal from the co-chairs of President Obama’s National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform to eliminate federal funding for public media would have a profound and detrimental impact on all Americans.

As Radio World’s sister publication Broadcasting & Cable reported, the co-chairs recommend zeroing out funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting as a way to help the government save some $200 billion. They recommend cutting about $500 million from the CPB funding that NPR and PBS combined receive for member stations.

In a statement, NPR said Thursday that “public radio is the last remaining source of independent, non-commercial and thought-provoking broadcast media in the country” and the only source of such programming in some small towns, it added. Federal funding is a central component of public radio’s ability to serve listeners. It’s imperative that this funding continue, according to NPR.

DnL4r2D8rO8

ChumpDumper
11-12-2010, 04:38 PM
They'll be fine if the funding is ended.

TeyshaBlue
11-12-2010, 04:47 PM
They'll be fine if the funding is ended.

Yeah...I'll have two coffee mugs and maybe an apron if they lose their funding.:lol

*still have a tattered, steak sauce stained "KERA...A rare medium, well done." apron laying around somewhere*

MannyIsGod
11-12-2010, 08:05 PM
NPR said they didn't need funding? I'd love to see a link to that press release.

DarrinS
11-12-2010, 09:15 PM
NPR is scintillating radio.

Yonivore
11-12-2010, 09:52 PM
NPR said they didn't need funding? I'd love to see a link to that press release.
It was an interview.

NPR CEO: We Don’t Need Public Funding (http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/npr-ceo-we-dont-need-public-funding/)

Q: Could NPR live without federal funding?

A: Let’s go on a sidebar. There’s a misperception about federal funding and public radio. There’s the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. They receive $90 million a year and a vast majority goes to member public radio stations. Those stations pull in more than $1 billion collectively a year. It’s significant and important but not even close to the lion’s share of revenues for public radio. NPR gets no allocation from CPB. Zero.
I misremembered. It's not that they didn't need much funding; they claimed they don't get any already.

So, I wonder why they're so in a wad now that it's being threatened.

Cry Havoc
11-12-2010, 10:40 PM
NPR is scintillating radio.

Yeah, it's pretty boring when you aren't being reminded every 3 minutes of something new that can kill you, or how people who think differently than you in this country are so evil.

DMX7
11-13-2010, 04:34 AM
There are Republicans who enjoy PBS. I promise you that.

I couldn't care less about NPR.

Yonivore
11-13-2010, 06:17 AM
There are Republicans who enjoy PBS. I promise you that.
That doesn't mean they want it receiving tax money.

Winehole23
11-13-2010, 07:12 AM
NPR is scintillating radio.I much prefer BBC Overnight to Evening Edition.

Oh, Gee!!
11-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Both can be true. Npr doesn't receive nor need federal dollars, and npr doesn't want funding cut because of the impact it will have small market radio and pbs. I know you can't fathom this, but they could be advocating for some interest other than their own.

Oh, Gee!!
11-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Unlike wild cobra, I've never been on welfare, but that doesn't mean that I have to be okay with elimination of welfare for other people.

DMX7
11-13-2010, 12:58 PM
That doesn't mean they want it receiving tax money.

Republicans want everything cut until they realize that means they may not have it anymore.

Yonivore
11-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Republicans want everything cut until they realize that means they may not have it anymore.
Really? Like What?