PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs vs. 76ers - Nov. 13

timvp
11-13-2010, 11:22 PM
Quick Grades: Spurs vs. 76ers (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/spurs-grades/quick-grades-spurs-vs-76ers/)
By LJ Ellis (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/author/ljellis/) | San Antonio Dispatch (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/)

The San Antonio Spurs wanted an easy win against the Philadelphia 76ers to rest up before traveling to Oklahoma City to play the Thunder tomorrow night. Mission accomplished. The Spurs blew it open in the third quarter and coasted to a 116-93 victory over the Sixers. Perhaps most importantly, no player on the Spurs played more than 28 minutes.

Tim Duncan C+ Struggled with his shooting but passed it well. D also a plus.

Manu Ginobili B+ Efficient on O. Defended well. Questionable passes at times.

Tony Parker A+ Dominant scoring. Fantastic passing. Great defensively.

Richard Jefferson B Offense quiet but his all-around game impressive

DeJuan Blair A- Defense still shaky but posted double-double in best game yet.

George Hill B Invisible at times though starting to look more confident.

Gary Neal C+ Good rebounding but offense was ugly when trying to create.

Tiago Splitter B Starting to get more demonstrative offensively. Defense still solid.

Matt Bonner B Bonner moved well in his return. Rusty but kept himself in shape.

Alonzo Gee C- Obviously a good athlete but small and doesn’t have a natural feel.

Chris Quinn B Scrappy defense. Ran the offense decently in garbage time.

Antonio McDyess B Didn’t break a sweat. Did score two baskets in eight minutes.

Related Articles:

Game Day Roundup: Spurs Look to Continue Streak (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/san-antonio-spurs-news/game-day-roundup-spurs-look-to-continue-streak/)

Spurs Roundup: Peter Holt and the Vietnam Wall (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/san-antonio-spurs-news/spurs-roundup-peter-holt-and-the-vietnam-wall/)

Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Clippers (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/spurs-game-thoughts/game-thoughts-spurs-vs-clippers/)

Cry Havoc
11-13-2010, 11:37 PM
The best of a driving Parker tonight. He can take over a game at will when he wants to.

Nathan89
11-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Alonzo Gee C- Obviously a good athlete but small and doesn’t have a natural feel.

Is C- as low as the grading scale goes? This guy gets a F.

TD 21
11-13-2010, 11:50 PM
Is C- as low as the grading scale goes? This guy gets a F.

No offense to him, but he needs to go. This team is only carrying 13, only 12 are healthy and with four of their top players, they need to manage their minutes. This means every roster spot is important, they can't afford to hand one out to a project period, let alone one who's just not a fit for the role he'd need to play to stick. Nice as it would be to have an athlete like Gee filling that role, they need to sign Hayes immediately.

Barring a rash of injuries to West guards, it's never going to happen, but both Ginobili and Parker need to be All-Stars (in addition to Duncan) if they can even approximate the play they've exhibited thus far and this team continues to have one of the best records in the league. Anyone still questioning whether this is the best back court in the league?

ElNono
11-13-2010, 11:53 PM
As Bruno has mentioned, Gee is probably going to go before the month is over and some money becomes guaranteed. Until then, the Spurs can search for somebody else.
So I wouldn't worry much about Alonzo...

lefty
11-13-2010, 11:59 PM
The best of a driving Parker tonight. He can take over a game at will when he wants to.

Atwill, but against crappy defensive teams

ElNono
11-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Anyone still questioning whether this is the best back court in the league?

I am. Where was this question after we lost to New Orleans?

I like what Tony is doing, and for the most part Manu has been good too, but if you don't think there are other just as good backcourts out there in the league, you haven't been watching.

Let's hope they can keep up their level when the schedule gets a little tougher....

TD 21
11-14-2010, 12:07 AM
As Bruno has mentioned, Gee is probably going to go before the month is over and some money becomes guaranteed. Until then, the Spurs can search for somebody else.
So I wouldn't worry much about Alonzo...

Yeah, I know. But why wait and potentially wear out Ginobili (in particular) or Jefferson in up coming games?

The faster Hayes is signed, the faster he can begin to get acclimated to the system, get into game shape, etc. Why delay the inevitable?

They shouldn't even bother scouring the D-League. They don't need another project. They just need someone they can count on, even if it is someone as mediocre as Hayes. At least with him you get size, experience and decent three-point shooting.

I am. Where was this question after we lost to New Orleans?

I like what Tony is doing, and for the most part Manu has been good too, but if you don't think there are other just as good backcourts out there in the league, you haven't been watching.

Let's hope they can keep up their level when the schedule gets a little tougher....

Where was my proclamation? I've said it many times.

But I guess you're right, one random early season loss automatically takes them out of the running. It's all about hype machines with you.

Name one? I have been watching.

jestersmash
11-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Quinn showed some solid shooting touch but I don't agree with a "B" grade in terms of his ability to actually run the point.

All I saw from him was extremely conservative/deferring point guard play. He'd be given the ball up top and would simply pass around the perimeter (left/right, depending on who just came off what screen) which is fine, but I was hoping to see if he had any sort of ability to actually penetrate and kick (fundamental for a point guard).

Gary Neal may have shot the ball poorly but at least I saw him penetrate a few times.

Quinn should know that his minutes are going to be few and far between. If there's any time for him to grow some balls and try out a couple of ballsy, aggressive drives, it was tonight when we had Philadelphia in a choke hold with that 32 point lead. Instead, I saw a point guard more worried about making sure he doesn't do anything "too rash."

In that regard, I have to give Alonzo Gee some credit for at least trying a couple of ballsy drives. Obviously he doesn't have the skill level to drive and make something happen as effortlessly as a tony parker or manu ginobili, but I give him more credit than Quinn for at least putting himself on the line (I also liked his enthusiasm on his block on whoever it was).

With quinn, I really can't get a read on his point guard ability at all. All I learned from him was that he shot the ball well during garbage time, which certainly isn't bad, but if he doesn't have the balls to put himself "on the line" a bit more during garbage time, I shudder to think how useless and frightened he'd be when the game is on the line.

ElNono
11-14-2010, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I know. But why wait and potentially wear out Ginobili (in particular) or Jefferson in up coming games?

The faster Hayes is signed, the faster he can begin to get acclimated to the system, get into game shape, etc. Why delay the inevitable?

They shouldn't even bother scouring the D-League. They don't need another project. They just need someone they can count on, even if it is someone as mediocre as Hayes. At least with him you get size, experience and decent three-point shooting.

I think the idea is to stay under the lux tax and while they have time, see if they can work out something with the guys they have (minus Gee, who I think is a goner). Quinn will probably go too now that Hill is back.
I'm sure they're looking at Hayes, and other options. You never know how these things go. Maybe Hayes would require a vet minimum contract that would put them over the tax line? That's the kind of stuff I'm sure they're looking at.

Where was my proclamation? I've said it many times.

Name one? I have been watching.

I think Boston's backcourt has been playing just as well, and they've played against the Heat twice, the Thunder and Dallas already.

Obstructed_View
11-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Quinn showed some solid shooting touch but I don't agree with a "B" grade in terms of his ability to actually run the point.

All I saw from him was extremely conservative/deferring point guard play. He'd be given the ball up top and would simply pass around the perimeter (left/right, depending on who just came off what screen) which is fine, but I was hoping to see if he had any sort of ability to actually penetrate and kick (fundamental for a point guard).

Gary Neal may have shot the ball poorly but at least I saw him penetrate a few times.

Quinn should know that his minutes are going to be few and far between. If there's any time for him to grow some balls and try out a couple of ballsy, aggressive drives, it was tonight when we had Philadelphia in a choke hold with that 32 point lead. Instead, I saw a point guard more worried about making sure he doesn't do anything "too rash."

In that regard, I have to give Alonzo Gee some credit for at least trying a couple of ballsy drives. Obviously he doesn't have the skill level to drive and make something happen as effortlessly as a tony parker or manu ginobili, but I give him more credit than Quinn for at least putting himself on the line (I also liked his enthusiasm on his block on whoever it was).

With quinn, I really can't get a read on his point guard ability at all. All I learned from him was that he shot the ball well during garbage time, which certainly isn't bad, but if he doesn't have the balls to put himself "on the line" a bit more during garbage time, I shudder to think how useless and frightened he'd be when the game is on the line.

The Spurs probably got him because his turnover rate is so low.

TD 21
11-14-2010, 12:30 AM
I think the idea is to stay under the lux tax and while they have time, see if they can work out something with the guys they have (minus Gee, who I think is a goner). Quinn will probably go too now that Hill is back.
I'm sure they're looking at Hayes, and other options. You never know how these things go. Maybe Hayes would require a vet minimum contract that would put them over the tax line? That's the kind of stuff I'm sure they're looking at.

I think Boston's backcourt has been playing just as well, and they've played against the Heat twice, the Thunder and Dallas already.

According to Stein, the Spurs have just enough to sign a player for the veteran's minimum and still avoid the tax.

Quinn may yet stay a while. The Spurs can go with 12 for up to 2 weeks, but are then required to have a 13th player. With Anderson out, I'd be surprised if they went with only 11 active players.

I knew you'd say Boston. The problem is, Allen isn't as consistent as Ginobili or Parker at this point in his career and a lot of his offense is predicated on Rondo getting him the ball as he comes off myriad screens (usually staggered). Ginobili and Parker can both carry an offense, by creating for themselves and others. No one else has a tandem like that.

It's okay to give the players on the team you go for some credit once in awhile. It doesn't make you a homer.

ElNono
11-14-2010, 12:59 AM
According to Stein, the Spurs have just enough to sign a player for the veteran's minimum and still avoid the tax.

Hayes is a 7 year pro. His min salary would be $1,146,337, but the Spurs would only need to pay $854,389 and the league would reimburse the team for the rest. I believe that min salary ($854,389) is what would go against the lux cap. Question is if Hayes wants to sign for that...

Quinn may yet stay a while. The Spurs can go with 12 for up to 2 weeks, but are then required to have a 13th player. With Anderson out, I'd be surprised if they went with only 11 active players.

The problem is that if some of those contracts become guaranteed, the Spurs might be on the hook for lux tax money. That's why I expect more shuffling as long as the Spurs are able to get away with it.

I knew you'd say Boston. The problem is, Allen isn't as consistent as Ginobili or Parker at this point in his career and a lot of his offense is predicated on Rondo getting him the ball as he comes off myriad screens (usually staggered). Ginobili and Parker can both carry an offense, by creating for themselves and others. No one else has a tandem like that.

I would agree with Ray not being as creative as Ginobili, but then everybody has their flaws. Ray is a lot better shooter than Manu. Manu is the better slasher and creator. Tony's penetration has been neutralized many times, and he has struggled at times on defense. Rondo doesn't have a jumper.
But what makes them effective is indeed their respective systems and how well they execute it. And that's what highlights their strengths. You can't hold that against them, IMO.

It's okay to give the players on the team you go for some credit once in awhile. It doesn't make you a homer.

Conversely, there's nothing wrong with pointing out that other teams/players are playing just as well. It doesn't make you a hater.

I don't know what part of "I like what Tony is doing, and for the most part Manu has been good too" is not giving them credit...

MaNu4Tres
11-14-2010, 01:36 AM
I've been very impressed with the activity and tenacity of Parker on the defensive end on and off the ball.

Interesting stat: Eight games in the 2010-2011 season, Parker already has 19 steals. For comparison, last year he had 29 for the entire season.

Parker is not only showing tenacity with his on the ball defense by getting up into his guys shorts, but he is showing an incredible defensive aggression and awareness off the ball -- getting deflections and steals igniting fast break/easy point opportunities. Hopefully this continues.

jjktkk
11-14-2010, 01:42 AM

Have you ever heard the term, "know your limitations". Quinn is a spot up shooter. God all around back up pg, who can hit jumpers. Why should he try something hes not really capaple of? So you would of liked Quinn to 'show some balls" and drive to the hole, hell maybe even throw one down? Quinns not that kind of player. Think of a poor mans Steve Kerr, who buy the way only showed some balls when he hit big 3s ,not penetrating. Quinn knows his limtations.

jjktkk
11-14-2010, 01:47 AM
I've been hearing the name Jarvis Hayes a bit here on ST, and was thinking how much of a upgrade would he be over the recently departed Simmons. Jarvis can hit the 3, but I never knew him to play any kind of defense, and not overly athletic. Sounds like a poor mans Bobby Simmons.

wunderkindepiphany
11-14-2010, 02:11 AM

-I side with your assessment on Gee and Gary (although he did look frantic to score at times, when running the point, when he might have facilitated others more) here but give Quinn some time to grow into his role. He didn't show any real sign of being comfortable with the system, but he also didn't make many mistakes in limited time and still managed to put up a jumper and a nice looking three. His choice to defer the ball to more experienced players (within the system) shows that he admits not being fully integrated and is finding a place in the lineup(s).

BackHome
11-14-2010, 02:23 AM

Dude you cant compare the two Gee has been in our D-League team for two freakin years and still sucks. Quinn has what been on the team ten days?

mingus
11-14-2010, 05:11 AM
Spurs, Celtics, Golden State have the best backcourts in the league. you can make an argument for either one of those teams.

mingus
11-14-2010, 05:13 AM
You can probably include Nash-Richardson.

ChumpDumper
11-14-2010, 05:32 AM
Gee has been in our D-League team for two freakin yearsWrong.

timaios
11-14-2010, 06:25 AM
Spurs, Celtics, Golden State have the best backcourts in the league. you can make an argument for either one of those teams.

Well i think it's Miami, Lebron plays PG a lot, as in his rookie year and Wade at SG.

quentin_compson
11-14-2010, 06:53 AM
Blair had been steadily improving over the last couple of games. Let's hope that this one gets him going.
Hill was decent overall, but he still needs to be more aggressive. I'm surprised he's having such a lot of problems right now. With the big three and RJ playing this well, the pressure on George shouldn't be too high.
By the way, nice to finally blow out a crappy team, especially since it allowed Pop to rest the starters in the fourth quarter.

Spurs Brazil
11-14-2010, 08:26 AM
TP had a great game, nice to see him playing well.

I happy to see Blair and Hill getting better game after game.

Tiago D is very good, when he gets more comfortable on O he'll be great for the team

TJastal
11-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Another day, another spurs victory. Yawn.

I'm sure there will be 20 spaz threads today on why Blair and/or Ginobili shouldn't be starting. I'll probably peruse them for my own amusement. :wakeup

4down
11-14-2010, 10:04 AM
+1 on Quinn is staying within his role - hes a back up in a blowout game, His only mistake was not mixing in a few entry passes to the post, but given the way the turnover rate increased in garbage time, thats no biggie. conservative was just fine.

I do think Noc should get a B+ for calling out his teammates in the middle of the game. Those guys just totally quit last night. I'm guessing that was mentioned at length in the game thread or chat, but man it was almost disappointing to see.

This game can only be useful in knowing that the Spurs are capable of destroying a team that will fold when things get tough. Super interested to see how things go with the scheduling ahead.

ohmwrecker
11-14-2010, 11:32 AM
The Philadelphia 76ers are a very bad basketball team.

Mavs<Spurs
11-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Overall, Manu is better than Ray Allen. Ray has many off nights where he is 1 for 10 from three. No doubt, Ray Allen is a future hofer, but he is decidedly not as good an overall player as Manu Ginobili.

LeBron isn't listed as a pg. He does sometimes do the things that a pg normally does, but he also does the things a 3 normally does.

Nash and Richardson is, imo, close to Tony and Manu. Nash is certainly the better shooter and from 3, it is not even close. Nash has won mvp
twice as we all know, though due to his defensive deficiencies I doubt that he merited it twice. Nash has never taken his team to the finals. Tony was judged the best player on a team that actual won the finals when he won the Finals MVP. Tony is a much better player defensively. I believe that Nash's best play is far behind him at this point. JRich was the decider for Phoenix last year; when he was good, Phoenix was very tough to beat. He seemed to become more consistent recently. Still, there are very few, if any, gms or coaches who would take a healthy JRich over a healthy Manu Ginobili.

So, at this point, I would have to give the edge to the Spurs as having the best backcourt in the league.

Thanks for the grades, Timvp.

:flag:

TD 21
11-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Hayes is a 7 year pro. His min salary would be $1,146,337, but the Spurs would only need to pay $854,389 and the league would reimburse the team for the rest. I believe that min salary ($854,389) is what would go against the lux cap. Question is if Hayes wants to sign for that...

The problem is that if some of those contracts become guaranteed, the Spurs might be on the hook for lux tax money. That's why I expect more shuffling as long as the Spurs are able to get away with it.

I would agree with Ray not being as creative as Ginobili, but then everybody has their flaws. Ray is a lot better shooter than Manu. Manu is the better slasher and creator. Tony's penetration has been neutralized many times, and he has struggled at times on defense. Rondo doesn't have a jumper.
But what makes them effective is indeed their respective systems and how well they execute it. And that's what highlights their strengths. You can't hold that against them, IMO.

Conversely, there's nothing wrong with pointing out that other teams/players are playing just as well. It doesn't make you a hater.

I don't know what part of "I like what Tony is doing, and for the most part Manu has been good too" is not giving them credit...

If he plans on playing in the NBA this season, he'll sign for that.

Yeah, you're right, they might hold off on signing Hayes or someone of that ilk for that reason. Or, if they do sign someone like that sooner than later, than they could cut Quinn and then bring him back in a few weeks.

I didn't say creative, I said consistent. I'd rate the Celtics' back court second.

The part where you pretend as if they're just one of the better back courts in the league and not the best one.

ElNono
11-14-2010, 07:27 PM
I didn't say creative, I said consistent. I'd rate the Celtics' back court second.

No, you did specifically talk about Allen's creativity and his ability to create his own shot. Consistency can be measured in a plethora of ways. For example, Ray Allen is consistently the better shooter when compared against Ginobili.

The part where you pretend as if they're just one of the better back courts in the league and not the best one.

I'm not ready to proclaim them the best backcourt in the league at this point. Feel free to get your panties in a wad about that.

TD 21
11-14-2010, 09:38 PM
No, you did specifically talk about Allen's creativity and his ability to create his own shot. Consistency can be measured in a plethora of ways. For example, Ray Allen is consistently the better shooter when compared against Ginobili.

I'm not ready to proclaim them the best backcourt in the league at this point. Feel free to get your panties in a wad about that.

I also talked about consistency. Overall consistency and impact on the game. You're seriously going to argue that Allen is a better player than Ginobili at this point in their respective careers?

Of course you're not, because they're not a hype machines. What more do they have to do to prove it to you? I got it: Do the same thing they're doing now, but do it in Boston or L.A.? Why would you think I'm angry about this? What a ridiculous assertion.

I'm just pointing out how you have no problem nitpicking this team to death, but then when it comes time to give them their just due, you'd rather hold back. As if they're two rookie or sophomore players and they need to prove it over a longer stretch.

ElNono
11-14-2010, 10:02 PM
I also talked about consistency. Overall consistency and impact on the game. You're seriously going to argue that Allen is a better player than Ginobili at this point in their respective careers?

Of course you're not, because they're not a hype machines. What more do they have to do to prove it to you? I got it: Do the same thing they're doing now, but do it in Boston or L.A.? Why would you think I'm angry about this? What a ridiculous assertion.

This is retarded. Because I think there are backcourts just as good, I'm not giving them their due? I simply disagree with your view.

As others have said, it's not that clear cut as you imply. IE: A team that might not have such a great record like Golden State also has a great backcourt. Boston has a great backcourt, IMO, just as good as the Spurs.
If you're going to break it down individually, as you're doing with Manu vs Allen, I'll tell you that both CP3 and DWill are better PG's than Tony (even though Tony has been playing pretty well too).

Ultimately they're all opinions. That's why I won't tell you you're wrong in your proclamation. I'll simply tell you I don't agree with it.

I'm just pointing out how you have no problem nitpicking this team to death, but then when it comes time to give them their just due, you'd rather hold back. As if they're two rookie or sophomore players and they need to prove it over a longer stretch.

I love our guys to death, and I've given credit where credit is due, including RJ, Dice, Tony, Manu and even Bonner tonight.
The difference is that you rather project this throughout the entire season, where I rather get a larger sample size. As others have noted, until tonight, we really only played against one, maybe two projected playoff teams.

I'm nitpicky because I think this team can play better, and will need to play better to really go far. I specifically think you can't keep on giving up 30+ quarters and expect a different result than last season.
If you don't think so, that's your call, and I have no problem with it.

EricB
11-14-2010, 10:05 PM
The sixers are one of the more under coached under motivated teams I've seen in some time. How Doug Collins keeps getting jobs is beyond me.

ElNono
11-14-2010, 10:06 PM
The sixers are one of the more under coached under motivated teams I've seen in some time. How Doug Collins keeps getting jobs is beyond me.

To me it was hilarious to see Elton Brand walk off the court and sit on the bench in the middle of the 3rd, then realize he wasn't getting subbed. He basically completely checked out of the game by himself then.

TD 21
11-14-2010, 11:12 PM
This is retarded. Because I think there are backcourts just as good, I'm not giving them their due? I simply disagree with your view.

As others have said, it's not that clear cut as you imply. IE: A team that might not have such a great record like Golden State also has a great backcourt. Boston has a great backcourt, IMO, just as good as the Spurs.
If you're going to break it down individually, as you're doing with Manu vs Allen, I'll tell you that both CP3 and DWill are better PG's than Tony (even though Tony has been playing pretty well too).

Ultimately they're all opinions. That's why I won't tell you you're wrong in your proclamation. I'll simply tell you I don't agree with it.

I love our guys to death, and I've given credit where credit is due, including RJ, Dice, Tony, Manu and even Bonner tonight.
The difference is that you rather project this throughout the entire season, where I rather get a larger sample size. As others have noted, until tonight, we really only played against one, maybe two projected playoff teams.

I'm nitpicky because I think this team can play better, and will need to play better to really go far. I specifically think you can't keep on giving up 30+ quarters and expect a different result than last season.
If you don't think so, that's your call, and I have no problem with it.

The way I see it, some things are less about opinion and more about how much you know...and this is one of those things. I would agree that the Celtics back court is second. Which means, on occasion or in stretches, absolutely, they're fully capable of outplaying the Spurs back court. But I'm talking overall as players. You got three guys who are near elite players and one guy who's just a good player at this point in his career.

The Warriors, are you serious? Parker and Ginobili have to prove it to you, but Curry, the sophomore, he doesn't? Unbelievable.

Who cares that Paul and Williams are better than Parker? The gap between Ginobili and Belinelli/Bell is easily wider than the gap between Paul/Williams and Parker.

What larger sample size do you need? They've been at their current level for a while, only injuries slowed them down, so they were never in peak form at the same time the past two seasons. Now they are. The results speak for themselves.

Of course, collectively, they have to improve defensively. But that doesn't diminish the level of play Parker and Ginobili have exhibited thus far.