PDA

View Full Version : My take on Parker's 2010-11 thus far

Cant_Be_Faded
11-14-2010, 02:43 AM
From the first game of this season we could all tell this was a slightly different Parker. We did not know what we were in store for, but 8 games in, Spurs sitting at 7-1....I think we are allowed to take a few notes and flesh out, a little what we are seeing out of Parker this season.

1) We are seeing a Parker that is completely willing to pass the buck to the benefit of others.
--Did you see him go out of his way to assist RJ for a dunk on a 2-0 fast break tonight? It's not the fact that he passed. It's the way he passed the ball.

2) We are seeing a Parker that might have reached a new level of confidence and power in every-game defense.
--Parker is one of the most underrated defenders at his position in the game today. Not amongst us maybe, but overall he is. And we're witnessing a pretty elevated level of defensive play from Parker that I do not remember seeing in the regular season before.

(Spurstalk Question: Is Parker getting his high rate of steals because he is gambling more often? Is he getting them out of pure defensive effort? And if he is gambling more often, is it Pop that told him to do so? Never forget, Parker exhibited an ability to pick the occasional pocket his very first year as a Spur. Something attributed to high-risk, gambling defense, that statistically waned in subsequent seasons, probably due to Pop.)

3) We are seeing a Parker exhibiting a keen sense of when to use his speed-burst to attack the basket.
--This not only conserves his energy (allowing the defensive intensity) but I think it's actually keeping the opposing teams off-guard.

(Spurstalk Question: Is Parker truly "biding his team wisely" with his freak-speed, or is this total fools gold? Are we just seeing age catch up to Parker and the PG that Pop taught to "attack, attack, attack" slow down a little?)

Granted we have not played any "real" competition, save the Suns, I believe we have a lot to be excited about Parker's 2011 campaign.

He quieted every detracting hater by re-upping with SA.
He wants to spend his career here.
SA is his home, it's what he is.

It's my belief we are seeing a new level of constant confidence and maturity from our 28-year old PG, who has done everything an NBA player can possibly do. This is Tony Parker's tenth season. Tenth! His development and maturity have recently been obscured and impeded by injuries.

We've seen Parker the erratic youngster.
Parker the "choker".
Parker sidekick.
Parker the crazy-scoring main-man.

We are witnessing Parker finally grow into his own as a veteran.

:smchode:

Sean Cagney
11-14-2010, 03:08 AM
I am impressed so far, I love Parker!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cessation
11-14-2010, 03:10 AM
Parker is definetly on another level this season.

jaffies
11-14-2010, 04:20 AM
Give this guy some Vbookie money.

arles
11-14-2010, 06:22 AM
Nice write-up, man :D
:toast

Pauleta14
11-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Good read. I agree, but I just hope he can keep the same defensive intensity the whole season!

ps/ It's his 10th season...

MI21
11-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Preach on. Fantastic OP.

Tony is really having a fantastic season, I'm particularly impressed by the defense. The intensity looks to be there at this early stage and I think the fact that he can contribute offensively when he feels like it rather than being completely relied upon to drop 25 is helping him. The emergence of RJ is really making a lot of good things happen for the rest of the roster.

I do have a rant to go on though...

The hate towards Tony Parker on SpursTalk has long confused me.

This is a guy who took it to prime Gary Payton as a 19 year old rookie Euro-PG in the playoffs. You gotta be kidding me?

A guy who in his second season made everybody wonder if acquiring prime Jason Kidd was actually worth it and was a key factor in winning a championship.

This is a guy who took his bumps and bruises the next season against LA, but was one of the biggest reasons the Spurs even had a chance in the first place - until he was shutdown when a team with 4 HOF'ers and possibly the best coach ever changed their whole defensive gameplan to stop him.

This is a dude that played then MVP Steve Nash to a virtual standstill in the WCF but didn't mind stepping aside and letting teammates pick up the scoring load while he was struggling, but proceeds to do his part by not allowing a single Detroit Piston to score on him until the last minute in a Game 7 of the NBA finals.

This is a player that has given Spurs fans so many highlights, so many amazing plays, and despite what a lot of people think - is probably the most clutch Spur, at least when it comes to pure buzzer beating or final 5 second plays. A guy who opposition defenses keyed in on and adapted there whole defense to stop, all this by the time he was 24.

This is a guy who is one of the best penetrating guards - and finishers - the NBA has seen in quite sometime. A guy that is as fast as anyone who has played the game.

This a player who is an NBA Finals MVP, a player who has carried the Spurs regular season load for the best part of 4 seasons now..

and all throughout that time there has been ridiculous doubters. How many times did we read some of the following -- Maybe we should start Speedy? I think Parker is expendable because of Beno. George Hill is better at point for the Spurs than TP. Trade TP because he doesn't pass to Manu.

Turn it up. Spurs fans have been fortunate to witness an incredible PG who is not only a superb player, he is unique, loyal, unselfish and a winner.

Haters gonna hate, but those of us that really know are gonna appreciate.

Horse
11-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Preach on. Fantastic OP.

Tony is really having a fantastic season, I'm particularly impressed by the defense. The intensity looks to be there at this early stage and I think the fact that he can contribute offensively when he feels like it rather than being completely relied upon to drop 25 is helping him. The emergence of RJ is really making a lot of good things happen for the rest of the roster.

This is a guy who took it to prime Gary Payton as a 19 year old rookie Euro-PG in the playoffs. You gotta be kidding me?

A guy who in his second season made everybody wonder if acquiring prime Jason Kidd was actually worth it and was a key factor in winning a championship.

This is a guy who took his bumps and bruises the next season against LA, but was one of the biggest reasons the Spurs even had a chance in the first place - until he was shutdown when a team with 4 HOF'ers and possibly the best coach ever changed their whole defensive gameplan to stop him.

This is a dude that played then MVP Steve Nash to a virtual standstill in the WCF but didn't mind stepping aside and letting teammates pick up the scoring load while he was struggling, but proceeds to do his part by not allowing a single Detroit Piston to score on him until the last minute in a Game 7 of the NBA finals.

This is a player that has given Spurs fans so many highlights, so many amazing plays, and despite what a lot of people think - is probably the most clutch Spur, at least when it comes to pure buzzer beating or final 5 second plays. A guy who opposition defenses keyed in on and adapted there whole defense to stop, all this by the time he was 24.

This is a guy who is one of the best penetrating guards - and finishers - the NBA has seen in quite sometime. A guy that is as fast as anyone who has played the game.

This a player who is an NBA Finals MVP, a player who has carried the Spurs regular season load for the best part of 4 seasons now..

and all throughout that time there has been ridiculous doubters. How many times did we read some of the following -- Maybe we should start Speedy? I think Parker is expendable because of Beno. George Hill is better at point for the Spurs than TP. Trade TP because he doesn't pass to Manu.

Turn it up. Spurs fans have been fortunate to witness an incredible PG who is not only a superb player, he is unique, loyal, unselfish and a winner.

Very nice I believe TP is the best finisher at the rim we've seen since a.i.

SenorSpur
11-14-2010, 01:04 PM
I concur wholeheartedly with the OP. I mentioned this in another thread, but it all bears repeating.

Tony is having a fantastic start to the 2010 season. Of course, he's shown the offensive prowess that we've all come to expect. The difference is that now he's been a much more willing passer. His assists, steals are up, and his turnovers are down. All the while, his scoring has only dipped slightly from his finest season, the 2008 campaign. His trademark quickness and burst have returned. On the defensive end, he's always been an underrated defender. However this year, his on-the-ball defense has been superb. He's playing the passing lanes like an "Allen Iverson-clone" and making the opposition pay for lazy passes.

For the first time in his career, TP is playing an all-around floor game for the Spurs. He's making his teammates better and the impact and the results are both stunning.

8FOR!3
11-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Preach on. Fantastic OP.

Nice. As a fan of George Hill who has been willing to trade TP in the past, this is a lot to think about. Now that Tony Parker has signed the new contract, I have a much different view about him. He could get the max somewhere else next year but he signed on to the Spurs cheap. Other than Chris Paul and Deron Williams we might have the third best PG in the league.

Brazil
11-14-2010, 02:47 PM
I've been lurking this forum a long time before posting, I've always been surprised by the low consideration he got among the fans despite the fact he is bb wise the perfect spurs player: never complained about pt, never complained about his contractual situation, always did what the coach expected him to do, always gave the respect tim and manu deserved, he is a winner, he has big balls and he never has been afraid to take his responsabilities in clutche situations.

For the first time there is a kind a consensus about how good he is and nobody is questionning anymore his attachement for the spurs.

Nevertheless I'm no fool, I know that when he will have some bad games and George will be back at his full potential (I'm not worried for him it was the same last year, he begun the season quite poorly too), the haters gonna hate again.

The spurs look good this year but we must wait to play the bests in class to see where we are (hornets loss was a waring we badly need to improve the Defense if we want to compete against the elite).

Cant_Be_Faded
11-14-2010, 03:16 PM
I've been lurking this forum a long time before posting, I've always been surprised by the low consideration he got among the fans despite the fact he is bb wise the perfect spurs player: never complained about pt, never complained about his contractual situation, always did what the coach expected him to do, always gave the respect tim and manu deserved, he is a winner, he has big balls and he never has been afraid to take his responsabilities in clutche situations.

For the first time there is a kind a consensus about how good he is and nobody is questionning anymore his attachement for the spurs.

Nevertheless I'm no fool, I know that when he will have some bad games and George will be back at his full potential (I'm not worried for him it was the same last year, he begun the season quite poorly too), the haters gonna hate again.

The spurs look good this year but we must wait to play the bests in class to see where we are (hornets loss was a waring we badly need to improve the Defense if we want to compete against the elite).

I think Parker was INSANELY underrated after his first post season performance. He had us all excited like crazy for the 2002-03 campaign. Then, in the midst of total season dominance, we saw him come up short in crunch time several times in the postseason, including the Finals.

People used that to detract from Parker's abilities and future as a big-time player.

Then we had 2004, in which he came into the postseason guns-blazing. He was nailing like four 3's a game and was hotter than he's EVER been in his career against the Grizzlies. Against the Lakers in game 1-2 he remained hot and crushed the Lakers with the pick-n-roll.

Then we had the meltdown, and we quickly forgot how audacious and cold-blooded he was for 6 straight playoff games because of the entire team meltdown.

For the 2005 season we had the emergence and meteoric rise of Manu Ginobili. Parker was a "junior" main man. So what if he didn't come up huge for us in clutch situations? That's not his role. It's Manu and Tim's role. That was the mentality.

But I feel Spurs fans truly began to forget all this and appreciate Tony Parker in the 2006-2007 season. I think Spurs fans, and ST posters do not have a legitimate gripe about Parker since that season unless it is his health and his World Summer Team play.

Now we just have haters who are very vocal about how they dislike Parker because of his summer-play and concomitant NBA-Season injuries.

duncan228
11-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Parker taking pride in more than points (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/14/parker-taking-pride-in-more-than-points/)
by Jeff McDonald

...It can be argued, eight games into his 10th NBA season, that Parker is playing better now than during any other similar stretch of his career year. He’s “only” averaging 17.6 points, but so many other facets of his game are on the rise.

Much has been made of Parker’s assist numbers — he’s averaging 8.3 per game, 2.2 more than his career best. But did you know Parker is also averaging 2.4 steals, also 2.2 better than his career best?

Only one other player in the NBA is averaging a better points-assists-steals line than Parker: Washington rookie John Wall. Parker, however, is doing it while shooting 50 percent to Wall’s 43.9.

“That was my focus this year, to play better defense and pay more attention to details — rebounds, steals, stuff like that,” Parker said.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/14/parker-taking-pride-in-more-than-points/

ALVAREZ6
11-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Parker has been really efficient, hope he keeps it up!

Bukefal
11-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Preach on. Fantastic OP.

Well said! He deserves some respect and more love after all the trashing and bitching he got over the years and still gets of Spurs fans themselves.

TP looks great again this season. Nice to see. I hope he can continue like this. I'm excited about this season, It feels good.

:flag:

Also, good read Cant_Be_Faded :toast

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Great posts by CBF and MI21. I agree with pretty much all of what you've said, although I would add that it's also clear Parker is the healthiest and best-rested he's been in a long while (probably since 2007), and that has clearly allowed him to find his elite game again.

Must say that I'm very glad both TP and Manu have signed on to stay, now it'll be interesting to see what Tim decides to do. I always figured he and Pop would retire together at the end of the 2012 season, but now it looks like he might take a DRob contract and play on another 2 years with his hombres. ;)

Danny.Zhu
11-14-2010, 09:50 PM
I want to see Parker matching up Fisher.

Stringer_Bell
11-14-2010, 09:59 PM
We are witnessing Parker finally grow into his own as a veteran.

For sure, his courage going to the basket is still there but he's much more tactical instead of going balls out all the time and trying to prove a point. He's basically not trying to be anything, he just is.

duncan228
11-15-2010, 01:13 AM
...Tony Parker again outplayed one of the supposed best NBA point guards as he best Westbrook. Parker outscored Westbrook, 24-19, and had a spirit and determination that was a contrast from his usually placid demeanor on the court. The Spurs seemed to feed off that leadership during the second-half rally.

Notes on a scorecard: Why Matt Bonner should eat turkey subs before every game (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/14/notes-on-a-scorecard-why-matt-bonner-should-eat-turkey-subs-before-every-game/)
by Tim Griffin

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/14/notes-on-a-scorecard-why-matt-bonner-should-eat-turkey-subs-before-every-game/

Kori Ellis
11-15-2010, 01:26 AM
Much has been made of Parker’s assist numbers — he’s averaging 8.3 per game, 2.2 more than his career best. But did you know Parker is also averaging 2.4 steals, also 2.2 better than his career best?

:lol @ McDonald. Really? He thinks Parker's career best in steals was .2?

Obstructed_View
11-15-2010, 01:34 AM
That's why newspaper people should hire a proofreader. Yes, it's a shameless plug since I have a proofreading business.

will_spurs
11-15-2010, 03:28 AM
Preach on. Fantastic OP.

:clap

Winehole23
11-15-2010, 05:07 AM
Now we just have haters who are very vocal about how they dislike Parker because of his summer-play and concomitant NBA-Season injuries.What have you done for me lately always trumps that. I like what TP is doing.

Pauleta14
11-15-2010, 07:14 AM
:lol @ McDonald. Really? He thinks Parker's career best in steals was .2?

:lol I thought the same!

I think it's just a typo thing... he meant his best average was 1.2...

duncan228
11-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Remember the Alamo and Parker (http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/11/14/remember-the-alamo-and-parker/)
Fran Blinebury
Hang Time Blog

SAN ANTONIO – So much for those preseason rumors that the Spurs could save some money by moving George Hill in as their starting point guard and sending Tony Parker on his way.

New York? L.A.? Anyplace where Tony and Eva could hit the celebrity headlines and walk on the red carpet as the point guard with three championship rings strolled toward the end of his career.

Except that the best place for Parker is the same place he’s always been – running the show in San Antonio, which is now a rousing success with a 7-1 record to get started.

In the season where point guards – Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Rajon Rondo, Jason Kidd, John Wall – are exploding across the landscape like a string of firecrackers, Parker is playing with more pop to his game than ever. He’s not only averaging 17.6 points and a career-best 8.3 rebounds a game, but also performing the balancing act between the two jobs with the skill of a tightrope walker.

“That’s always been the tough part since I’ve been here,” Parker said. “When to shoot, when to pass. Every year I try to get better at it.”

Going into the first set of back-to-back games of the season, Parker made quick work of the Sixers on Saturday night, dominating the first half and finishing with a 24-point, 7-assist line that included 10-for-13 shooting in just 28 minutes. It was Parker setting the table and setting the pace that allowed the Spurs starters to finish off the Sixers early and get plenty of rest ahead of their Sunday night meeting with the Thunder in Oklahoma City.

“He was unbelievable,” said Manu Ginobili. “He started the game finishing great, finding open teammates and doing everything almost perfectly…It’s great to see him play like that. It’s one of the reasons we have this kind of record.”

That decision by the Spurs to re-sign their man to a four-year, $50-million extension in October is looking better and better each game.

In the season of the point guard, Tony Parker isn’t riding in anybody’s back seat.

anonoftheinternets
11-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Remember the Alamo and Parker (http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/11/14/remember-the-alamo-and-parker/)
Fran Blinebury
Hang Time Blog

....Parker is playing with more pop to his game than ever. He’s not only averaging 17.6 points and a career-best 8.3 rebounds a game, but also performing the balancing act between the two jobs with the skill of a tightrope walker. ...

:lol Dejuan Parker .... or .. even better tony blair (and u can add being a politician to the achievements) :)

#2!
11-15-2010, 10:20 PM
That's why newspaper people should hire a proofreader. Yes, it's a shameless plug since I have a proofreading business.

Any part-time openings?

peskypesky
11-16-2010, 01:19 AM
Parker is definetly on another level this season.

yep. taking the summer off has done wonders for him and Manu. they are fresh.

UnWantedTheory
11-16-2010, 06:00 AM
Free advertisement is never a shame. Also, think of all the pre-interview material you have here with us. You could save lives by giving jobs. Its the least you could do.:p:

UnWantedTheory
11-16-2010, 06:03 AM
Great job OP. Very good read and I agree 100%. Parker has long been cast aside, even by some of us. It is about time some of us fans appreciate what he brings to the table and remember the money he left on the table.