PDA

View Full Version : Another reason Obamacare will be repealed...

Yonivore
11-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Its violation of the equal protection clause.

96Uu_tI0hTw

ElNono
11-14-2010, 01:36 PM
With what votes?

ChumpDumper
11-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Who has standing to bring that lawsuit?

Yonivore
11-14-2010, 01:46 PM
With what votes?
It'll only take 5.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Extremely implausible to be repealed Yoni. I can start a thread that says "Another reason the Fed purchasing more securities and debt will work" but it is still total nonsense.

Yonivore
11-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Extremely implausible to be repealed Yoni.
Not extremely implausible but, you're right; unlikely to be repealed by an act of Congress.

I think it'll be struck down by the courts first.

The individual mandate is going to trial and, since the authors of the legislation forgot to include a severability clause, there is a school of thought out there that if the courts strike down the mandate as unconstitutional, the entire piece of crap becomes inconstitutional.

The thinking on how Congress repeals is based largely on how bad the remaining Democrats want to retain their seats in 2012. Some, Manchin as a good example, positioned themselves as being opposed to Obamacare and may -- in order to survive -- vote with Republicans to repeal.

It'll force Obama to either veto (more likely) or sign.

In any case, it'll be the central effort of this Congress and whatever the Democrats do will be the defining characteristic of their 2012 campaigns. Maybe enough to override a veto.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-14-2010, 03:04 PM
You sound no different than all the liberals (myself included) who said highly extremely implausible things about repealing Bush's Patriot Act, arrest for torture, and bull shit wars.

Just like in 4-8 years theres gonna be more BS from the right that evokes parallel comments from the voting left. Around and around and around we go.

The net result is nearly ZERO of the public is satisfied with what their elected leaders are doing with this country.

It had been ages in voting years since the Democrats did something that completely riled up the right, and now that it's happened all you're gonna get is lipservice from your leaders to make you think they will do something to fix it.

Just like I heard liberal leaders saying they were gonna get us out of Iraq. Or libertarians say they would repeal that bull shit Patriot Act. It never happens. They do what they will do and then it's done.

boutons_deux
11-14-2010, 03:05 PM
People a lot smarter and more informed than prejudiced, ignorant Yoni have looked at the repeal possibility:

No, GOP can't actually repeal healthcare reform

Republicans now control the House, but don't have the votes to overcome a Senate filibuster or the president's veto

By RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR, Associated Press

Republicans say they'll repeal and replace President Barack Obama's health care law, but tinker and tweak is as far as they're likely to get.

And that might not be a bad thing if you're a GOP strategist. It keeps the issue Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell calls the "tipping point" in the midterm elections alive for 2012, when they'll try to unseat Obama himself.

Republicans will control the House in January, but they don't have the votes to overcome a Senate filibuster, much less Obama's veto on repeal. Plan B, denying funds to carry out the law, could backfire if it escalates to a government shutdown.

Other options call for legislative guerrilla tactics.

Republicans could use the oversight authority of Congress to slow down or block regulations, essentially tying up the instruction manual for the overhaul. Expect flyspeck scrutiny of agencies implementing the law.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2010/11/04/us_repeal_and_replace/index.html

===========

So, now what, Yoni? YOU'RE WRONG AGAIN.

Yonivore
11-14-2010, 03:18 PM
You sound no different than all the liberals (myself included) who said highly extremely implausible things about repealing Bush's Patriot Act, arrest for torture, and bull shit wars.

Just like in 4-8 years theres gonna be more BS from the right that evokes parallel comments from the voting left. Around and around and around we go.

The net result is nearly ZERO of the public is satisfied with what their elected leaders are doing with this country.

It had been ages in voting years since the Democrats did something that completely riled up the right, and now that it's happened all you're gonna get is lipservice from your leaders to make you think they will do something to fix it.

Just like I heard liberal leaders saying they were gonna get us out of Iraq. Or libertarians say they would repeal that bull shit Patriot Act. It never happens. They do what they will do and then it's done.
I think Obamacare is a bit different than the Patriot Act.

ChumpDumper
11-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Yeah, the health case act might actually help people.

Winehole23
11-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Like CBF emphasized upstream, there's a lot of wishful thinking in this forum. Like yoni thinking Obama will sign the repeal of his signature legislative acheivement.

Yonivore
11-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Like CBF emphasized upstream, there's a lot of wishful thinking in this forum. Like yoni thinking Obama will sign the repeal of his signature legislative acheivement.
Did I not just say that was unlikely?

boutons_deux
11-14-2010, 03:29 PM

Right-wingers like Yoni, cc, and WC don't GAF about people. They push social/economic Darwinism to the max.

"If you can't make it working 2 or 3 jobs and 60+ hours a week with no catastrophic health insurance, or if you can't find even a shitty job, then fuck you. You aren't a Real American."

Winehole23
11-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Did I not just say that was unlikely?You did, but even suggesting it as a possibility is hyper-wishful.

Yonivore
11-14-2010, 03:53 PM
You did, but even suggesting it as a possibility is hyper-wishful.
Three words: Bush Tax Cuts.

While I think it's unlikely, there are scenarios where he might be boxed in; right now he's dancing around whether or not he's going to continue the Bush Tax Cuts.

Regardless, I think the courts will drive a stake through Obamacare long before he has an opportunity to sign or veto any repeal legislation.

boutons_deux
11-14-2010, 04:50 PM
The courts have already refused to consider the legality of health reform.

Yonivore
11-14-2010, 05:28 PM
You did, but even suggesting it as a possibility is hyper-wishful.
And, on January 21, 2009; would you have said Gitmo would still be open on January 21, 2011?

Oh, Gee!!
11-14-2010, 05:36 PM
ain't gonna happen because the repubs aren't going to put much effort into the cause. you may hear one or two true believers make some noise, but it'll die down when their corporate sponsors figure out how to make a killing in this new market at our expense. the free market will work.

Yonivore
11-14-2010, 05:38 PM
ain't gonna happen because the repubs aren't going to put much effort into the cause. you may hear one or two true believers make some noise, but it'll die down when their corporate sponsors figure out how to make a killing in this new market at our expense. the free market will work.
We'll see.

I think Obama's meteoric fall to earth after his near-deification in 2008 has jaded some of the thinking on the left.

MannyIsGod
11-14-2010, 05:49 PM
LOL Deification

Oh, Gee!!
11-14-2010, 06:01 PM
We'll see.

I think Obama's meteoric fall to earth after his near-deification in 2008 has jaded some of the thinking on the left.

the deification was a narrative pushed by the right (esp. limbaugh). His fall to earth only seems like one due the his historic campaign and election. He's been mediocre.

Yonivore
11-14-2010, 06:16 PM
LOL Deification

"...this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal..."

Newsweek’s Evan Thomas: Obama Is ‘Sort of God’ (http://newsbusters.org/blogs/kyle-drennen/2009/06/05/newsweek-s-evan-thomas-obama-sort-god)

And, don't forget "Tingles" Matthews or Oprah.

Yonivore
11-14-2010, 06:17 PM
the deification was a narrative pushed by the right (esp. limbaugh). His fall to earth only seems like one due the his historic campaign and election. He's been mediocre.
He's been worse than mediocre. He's the second coming of Jimmy Carter. (See what I did there?)

Hope and change has devolved to desperation.

boutons_deux
11-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Magic Negro and Messiah were ridiculing, derogatory slimejobs from the Repugs and hate media, ridiculing Obama's popularity, esp compared to a senile loser McLiar.

ChumpDumper
11-14-2010, 06:33 PM
http://www.boingboing.net/images/_book3.jpg

boutons_deux
11-14-2010, 07:00 PM
There were/are many Constitutional scholars who say that killing health care reform on Constitutional grounds is a non-starter.

But we can count the Repugs in Congress to defund it, and Repugs in the states to do it badly, so people hate it, which is really the entire approach to Repug idea of (mis)governance, do it badly so people will hate govt.

Yonivore
11-14-2010, 07:19 PM
There were/are many Constitutional scholars who say that killing health care reform on Constitutional grounds is a non-starter.
Name one and link their support for it being a non-starter. I'd like to read that considering two courts have already allowed the individual mandate suit to move forward. I've already posted, in another thread, on that says just the opposite.

But we can count the Repugs in Congress to defund it, and Repugs in the states to do it badly, so people hate it, which is really the entire approach to Repug idea of (mis)governance, do it badly so people will hate govt.
There is no way to administer this piece of sausage well. It is poorly written and not many people even understand what the hell is in it.

People already hate Obamacare and they've hated the government for quite some time.

Yonivore
11-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Damnit! Did I really respond to boutons? Talk about giving Moose a muffin; please bd, feel free to ignore me. I have no idea why I decided to read your post.

ChumpDumper
11-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Damnit! Did I really respond to boutons? Talk about giving Moose a muffin; please bd, feel free to ignore me. I have no idea why I decided to read your post.Because you obviously don't care.

fraga
11-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Its violation of the equal protection clause.

96Uu_tI0hTw

Mahahaha...you actually sited Fox "News" as factual evidence...

http://www.samizdata.net/blog/~pdeh/epicFAIL.jpg

Yonivore
11-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Mahahaha...you actually sited Fox "News" as factual evidence...

http://www.samizdata.net/blog/~pdeh/epicFAIL.jpg
Would you accept Obama's Department of Health and Human Services as a source for facts on this topic?

Approved Applications for Waiver of the Annual Limits Requirements of the PHS Act Section 2711 as of November 1, 2010 (http://www.hhs.gov/ociio/regulations/approved_applications_for_waiver.html)

fraga
11-14-2010, 08:46 PM
I accept NOTHING!!!

Yonivore
11-14-2010, 08:48 PM
I accept NOTHING!!!
Alrighty then.

boutons_deux
11-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Yoni, You Can't Handle The Boutons.

GFY, troll.

Winehole23
11-15-2010, 03:41 AM
GFY, troll.Turn it around on yourself, nice guy. You're just as deserving and scarcely less irritating.

Wild Cobra
11-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Right-wingers like Yoni, cc, and WC don't GAF about people. They push social/economic Darwinism to the max.

"If you can't make it working 2 or 3 jobs and 60+ hours a week with no catastrophic health insurance, or if you can't find even a shitty job, then fuck you. You aren't a Real American."
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

Wrong answer again.

If you don't have enough money to start a family.... Don't!

Single people can live on minimum wage. If you don't better yourself to make more, then what right do you have to take from the government, that which comes from me and other productive citizens?

z0sa
11-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Yoni, You Can't Handle The Boutons.

GFY, troll.

:lmao Boutons calling anyone a troll is worth a solid few seconds of LOLing.

TeyshaBlue
11-15-2010, 04:48 PM

but he's a mighty troll.:lmao

Wild Cobra
11-15-2010, 05:23 PM
I agree.

That's why i started using the little nut analogy. If he holds his ground, he may become something someday, dare I say... A Bush...

FromWayDowntown
11-15-2010, 05:39 PM
It'll only take 5.

So I guess we're good with judicial activism in this circumstance?

Yonivore
11-15-2010, 05:43 PM
So I guess we're good with judicial activism in this circumstance?
Just good old fashioned adjudication. Otherwise, for what is the Supreme Court good?

ElNono
11-15-2010, 07:56 PM
I think Obamacare is a bit different than the Patriot Act.