PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs are for real!

Rummpd
11-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Nothing else needs to be said after crushing the Thunder on the road. They should be a top 5 ranked team in the league after this win at worst.

NRHector
11-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Nothing else needs to be said after crushing the Thunder on the road. They should be a top 5 ranked team in the league after this win at worst.I prefer to be under the radar

Pauleta14
11-14-2010, 09:43 PM
I prefer to be under the radar

Don't worry... :wakeup

Rummpd
11-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Not me this team and organization deserves respect and there will still be many doubters but this team has the potential to get even better as Splitter integrates, Anderson returns etc.

HarlemHeat37
11-14-2010, 09:44 PM
They have proved that barring injury, they are a much better team than last year, by a pretty huge margin..

There's still a long way to go to prove that they are "for real", in regards to being a contender..

jason1301
11-14-2010, 09:45 PM
you are supposed to win if you shoot lights out from the 3pt line... duh :)

Frenchise player
11-14-2010, 09:46 PM
As long as they shoot this well from behind the 3 pont line, they will be hard to beat.
The good thing is that they have a number of players who can light up from 3 point this year with Manu, Bonner, RJ, Neal and maybee even James Anderson.

ace3g
11-14-2010, 09:49 PM
ESPN will put the Spurs in the top 10 plays.....Ibaka's alley oop dunk...just like they did when Gordon/Griffin had all those high light plays for the Clippers against us; that is the only national recognition we will get.

pawe
11-14-2010, 09:49 PM
When are they not for real? They are always considered contenders every year. They have a culture, a winning attitude that most teams lack and that is a big deal in overcoming liabilities specially in the most important games.

GSH
11-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Rankings are poop. I just want them to keep winning. They have a bunch of players who can make solid contributions. There's a lot of season ahead, but this feels pretty damn good.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-14-2010, 09:52 PM
They have proved that barring injury, they are a much better team than last year, by a pretty huge margin..

There's still a long way to go to prove that they are "for real", in regards to being a contender..

This.

It also shouldn't be forgotten that the first 20 or so games of the year are generally very soft in that teams haven't properly integrated yet. The real tests are still yet to come. However, it is a great start to the season! ;)

siraulo23
11-14-2010, 09:54 PM
ESPN will put the Spurs in the top 10 plays.....Ibaka's alley oop dunk...just like they did when Gordon/Griffin had all those high light plays for the Clippers against us; that is the only national recognition we will get.

yup

JustinJDW
11-14-2010, 10:03 PM
The more under the radar and less attention we get, the better. Spurs have always played better that way. :)

jeebus
11-14-2010, 10:16 PM
The more under the radar and less attention we get, the better. Spurs have always played better that way. :)
Unless it's mid-2000s when we were usually on national tv and barkley screaming ginobili's name as if he was exploding in his pants along with quite a bit of ESPN 'tards predicting(usually correct) that we'd be champs.

The_Worlds_finest
11-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Blow out win in OKC. Gotta love it. Screw the radar. I want the League to know the SPURS ARE BACK!

Oh, Gee!!
11-14-2010, 10:32 PM
it ain't the bcs, screw the ratings. just keep winning and that's all you need to do.

duncan228
11-15-2010, 01:15 AM
...Sunday’s victory looked like the kind of games that San Antonio routinely won back in its championship seasons. They stayed closed in the first half and then clamped down defensively to finish out the victory. By the end of the game, youthful Oklahoma City players like Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook were becoming visibly irritated at their team’s struggles.

Notes on a scorecard: Why Matt Bonner should eat turkey subs before every game (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/14/notes-on-a-scorecard-why-matt-bonner-should-eat-turkey-subs-before-every-game/)
by Tim Griffin

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/14/notes-on-a-scorecard-why-matt-bonner-should-eat-turkey-subs-before-every-game/

daslicer
11-15-2010, 01:35 AM
Fuck being under the radar and fuck the media I just like watching this team play. I don't care about this team getting respect or attention it doesn't bother me. This teams is actually exciting to watch which hasn't been the case the last 3 years. '07-'08 was really the last time the spurs basketball was exciting for me to watch. This team has great cohesion and chemistry which has been missed the last 3 years. I don't know if they are a contender but I do enjoy watching these 120 point games. For me its all about just having fun watching the games and not about worrying about the media giving the spurs respect. At the end of the day only 1 team can win it all so I don't really sweat it.

G-Dawgg
11-15-2010, 02:40 AM
Oh fuck... here we go.. believe me, we are still not as good as our record suggests. Just look at the quality of the teams we've been bullying thus far.......

UnWantedTheory
11-15-2010, 02:51 AM
^^^ Well we just bullied a quality team...so its a good start. Especially being 8-1.

Quit being a "dont be", be a "do be."

UnWantedTheory
11-15-2010, 02:52 AM
But yes,they do exist.

Roger Freemason Jr.
11-15-2010, 02:53 AM
Oh fuck... here we go.. believe me, we are still not as good as our record suggests. Just look at the quality of the teams we've been bullying thus far.......

Aw come on man, don't be that guy. We all know the standings don't dictate who prevails in the end, but give The Spurs the credit they deserve. If this were last season, we'd be 5-3 at best. The team is evolving with every game, and that was evident in today's game. The Spurs didn't have to win by a nose, they spanked a playoff team. Plus, we beat The Suns, and The Suns just beat the Lakers. We're phenomenal this year, bout time you start accepting that lovely truth.

jdiggy0424
11-15-2010, 03:18 AM
The Spurs are back.

boutons_deux
11-15-2010, 03:23 AM
Suns won't beat the Lakers again this year. They needed a freaky 22 3Gs (made!)

G-Dawgg
11-15-2010, 03:46 AM
I'm happy we're 8-1 but I still feel like we haven't proven anything yet. I guess I'm just not that easily sold.

But as long as our team is winning... it can't be a bad thing right?

UnWantedTheory
11-15-2010, 04:15 AM
I'm happy we're 8-1 but I still feel like we haven't proven anything yet. I guess I'm just not that easily sold.

But as long as our team is winning... it can't be a bad thing right?
I understand where you are coming from bro., but I dont think all that many have had enough time to prove much. 9 games in and we are 8-1...no matter what teams we have played, thats a good thing. The only thing that could make it better would be 9-0. An inch or a mile my friend. Take the W's and hopefully we continue to build and grow.

Leonard Curse
11-15-2010, 07:36 AM
every w is a step closer t home court in the playoffs thats what i keep thinking and im sure they are too!! this is big guys especially considering we havent had this good of a start sice our championship years!!

you could tell the spurs were going to have a good start from preseason theres a thread i wrote about it mattering and it looks like it matters more than i even thought, and the lakers usually stay at #1 in the standings all year so i find this to be a bit of an insight as well. some ppl blow off little stats i like to think theres something to them

JWest596
11-15-2010, 08:23 AM
I was just glad to see some defense in the second half.

I hope it continues....it's not lock down but it was a start as OKC wasn't chop liver.

A damn good start this year and that is news..It's a heck of lot easier being on top than have to play under pressure to catch up in the standings. I just hope the first inevitable slump is short. I like the chemistry that seems to be developing.

easjer
11-15-2010, 11:10 AM
I also agree the record is better than the team, but the steps forward are encouraging. More (and less sloppy) defense, players emerging and looking to figure out their roles and settle in. And I'm glad to have the early wins, takes some pressure off later in the season, which is not a bad thing.

Nevertheless, there are still flaws. Bonner's performance was phenomenal, but that's not going to happen every night and can't be relied on. So long as the winning encourages them to continue to get better, it's all icing on the cake. But there is always the fear that winning early allows them to settle back a bit, take it all a bit less seriously because they look at the record as the primary indicator.

I don't get the sense they do - the comments still seem to be saying the right things. It's nice to do more than simply cringe while watching the Spurs in Nov/Dec. But I say the same thing with a winning record as I did last year with a sub-par record. There are no statement games in November or December. There is only trying to gel, to mesh, to identify the problems and work out the kinks. So long as they show improvement in those areas, I don't care much what their record is.

igruex
11-15-2010, 11:50 AM
I
But there is always the fear that winning early allows them to settle back a bit, take it all a bit less seriously because they look at the record as the primary indicator.

I'm sure the record is pretty down in the list of things they look as performance indicators. Could be the case for the fans, and surely for the media.

We'll know a lot more after playing Utah.

maddnezz
11-15-2010, 12:07 PM
^^^ Well we just bullied a quality team...so its a good start. Especially being 8-1.

Quit being a "dont be", be a "do be."I like "do be's":hat

stnick2261
11-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Hardly a crushing of OKC... we were down early and slowly came back... pulled away at the end... still a solid win...

...that being said, it was great to see how smart our players are playing. Even our "athletic" guys on the team are playing smart and not relying solely on their athleticism.

Tbiggums47
11-15-2010, 12:35 PM
The Spurs are back.

I agree..The Spurs are back! But Improved..If they play this way this early in the season..How good will they be at the end of the season when they are traditionally tough? Go Spurs!:lobt:

JWest596
11-15-2010, 04:38 PM
I like "do be's":hat

doobies?

lefty
11-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Boobies.....http://cm1.theinsider.com/thumbnail/400/289/cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/97/78/480_cobrien_071107_eagostini_73821773.jpg

rascal
11-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Not me this team and organization deserves respect and there will still be many doubters but this team has the potential to get even better as Splitter integrates, Anderson returns etc.

Your the same guy who said the spurs were winning last year. :lol

rascal
11-15-2010, 07:13 PM
OKC is not a threat to win any titles anytime soon. Until they get a true center they are just another playoff team not good enough to win it all.

rascal
11-15-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm sure the record is pretty down in the list of things they look as performance indicators. Could be the case for the fans, and surely for the media.

We'll know a lot more after playing Utah.

The only team that matters is the Lakers. Thats the team the spurs have to get through.

Another western conference loss to them would be a step in the right direction for the young guys on the team but Duncan isn't getting any younger and overall another re-run of a season we have seen before.

superbigtime
11-15-2010, 07:47 PM
It's early in the season, and we haven't beaten anyone that significant--OKC no offense, but this record and the way the team is playing are pretty exciting.

peskypesky
11-16-2010, 01:29 AM

Yep. They WILL get better as Splitter and the others integrate. And if Blair and Hill can get their acts together, we will be deep as hell.

UnWantedTheory
11-16-2010, 03:29 AM
Boobies.....http://cm1.theinsider.com/thumbnail/400/289/cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/97/78/480_cobrien_071107_eagostini_73821773.jpg
Yep, the old doobies and boobies chat.