11-14-2010, 10:11 PM
Courtesy of basketball-reference.com:

9-1 : 1981-82
9-1 : 1980-81
8-1 : 2010-11
8-1 : 2004-05
7-1 : 2007-08
7-1 : 1991-92

I don't think any of us foresaw this start, and to top it all off the loss is to the lone undefeated team. I know it's hardly a barometer for what can happen in 7 months, but it's fun to keep track of this streak.

It seems a different role player is shining every game. If the trend continues, I think we can get to Utah at 9-1, and who knows after that.

Nov 17 Chicago
Nov 19 at Utah
Nov 20 Cleveland
Nov 22 Orlando
Nov 24 at Minnesota

mando6599
11-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Let's not count our chickens too soon. Day-by-day, game-by-game. I'm a tad concerned about Duncan. Is he still feeling the effects of his flu-like symptoms? Or is there something else more serious going on?

ElNono
11-14-2010, 10:22 PM
You're telling me we better lose to Chicago wednesday?

duncan228
11-14-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm a tad concerned about Duncan. Is he still feeling the effects of his flu-like symptoms? Or is there something else more serious going on?

I haven't seen anything that says it's more than the flu. The Spurs keep things quiet, so there could be something we don't know. But I'm not worried at this point. His knee seems okay. I'm fairly certain he's still recovering from whatever flu he had.

nadroj117
11-14-2010, 10:24 PM
I don't think there is anything to worry about Duncan. Timmy knows when he is needed and when he isn't. He's not the superstar that needs to get his stats. As long as there is a W he doesn't care if Bonner hits seven 3's, RJ goes off for 30 or he has to get his own 20-20. Timmy looks fine.

GSH
11-14-2010, 10:32 PM
We have Utah, Orlando, Dallas, and New Orleans coming up. If we are 14-3 at the end of November, we'll know something. I'm glad the Spurs haven't overlooked any of the teams they have played so far. They need to keep that up no matter what. But they still have to show what they can do against the top teams.

The best thing, I think, is that they do seem to be improving. I think they are playing much better than they were in the New Orleans game. The re-match will tell us a lot.

Fabbs
11-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Courtesy of basketball-reference.com:

9-1 : 1981-82
9-1 : 1980-81
8-1 : 2010-11
8-1 : 2004-05
7-1 : 2007-08
7-1 : 1991-92

Good perspective. Only one Champ amoung the 5, so while we are all happy with the start it's how ya finish that counts.

Obstructed_View
11-14-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm just glad they're taking advantage of the schedule for a change. Should make things easier going forward.

Kool Bob Love
11-14-2010, 10:42 PM
^^^
Yup.

ChuckD
11-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Moreso than the overall 8-1, I'm loving the 4-0 road start. We've been a pretty average road team the last two years. A good start builds momentum.

GrandeDavid
11-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Let's not count our chickens too soon. Day-by-day, game-by-game. I'm a tad concerned about Duncan. Is he still feeling the effects of his flu-like symptoms? Or is there something else more serious going on?

I think that the team is in such a good flow that he's a little relaxed. I don't mean that he's slacking or anything, but were the Spurs to drop a couple of games in a row he might put up better numbers. He reminds me of a masterful coach/player on the floor this season, not caring about his numbers but wanting to facilitate the successful play of his teammates. Almost not wanting to get in the way of a good thing going. Just his presence still opens space for his teammates. I'm really not worried about Duncan at all.

dunkman
11-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Unless the Spurs show to be able to dominate the Lakers, they will need the HCA. It's important to continue shadowing the Lakers on the standings, and pass them for good later.

However, the Lakers also have strong motivations to get the top record.

As Magic at some point, I'm sure Kobe's upset about having only 1 MVP award, and this season he has a great opportunity, while LeBron who was always better struggles in Miami.

Phil is probably confident against the Spurs, but he knows the Lakers have minimal chances to three-peat against the Celtics without the HCA.

Spur|n|Austin
11-14-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm just glad they're taking advantage of the schedule for a change. Should make things easier going forward.

Exactly. They went into this season knowing these were games they could win and it's already been stated that Pop wanted to kick off the season strong. This start is huge for their confidence and it's been fun to see someone different step up to the plate each night and contribute - the health of the big three is nice too.

TD 21
11-14-2010, 11:48 PM

Why? He's moving well, his numbers are down for myriad reasons...

1) The firepower and overall depth of this team.

2) He's had (and may still have) the flu.

3) In large part due to the first two, he's not playing many minutes, or getting many shots. It's difficult to score consistently when those two things are occurring simultaneously. Also, his field goal percentage was inflated to start the season, so naturally, it's regressing to the mean.

4) In addition to less minutes, he's playing next to a fellow glass cleaner, which explains why his rebounding is down (he's still right around 19%, in terms of rebound rate, which is around where he always is).

5) He's clearly (and wisely) pacing himself. Unlike Bryant, he's not concerned with racking up as many relatively meaningless regular season statistics as he can. If he were selfish, there's no question he could easily still average 18/10 if he wanted to.

Dex
11-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Definitely a great start, and good to see the Spurs sticking to their guns and taking care of business like they said they want to. Last night's 2nd half was definitely a step in the right direction.

That being said, we will find out much about the Spurs as their schedule is about to get considerably tougher with games against the Bulls, Jazz, Magic, Mavericks, and Hornets. They will need to keep playing that brand of basketball if they hope to continue their winning ways.

hater
11-15-2010, 11:01 AM
well I said if we win in OKC I will be shocked. So call me shocked.

yavozerb
11-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Definitely a great start, and good to see the Spurs sticking to their guns and taking care of business like they said they want to. Last night's 2nd half was definitely a step in the right direction.

That being said, we will find out much about the Spurs as their schedule is about to get considerably tougher with games against the Bulls, Jazz, Magic, Mavericks, and Hornets. They will need to keep playing that brand of basketball if they hope to continue their winning ways.

If they can go 3-2 during that stretch I would be happy. I am most interested in the Jazz,mavs, and hornets games since they are in the western conference. I would hope against those 3 they could get 2 wins. Here's to hoping :toast

urunobili
11-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Chicago will be a loss. Utah will be a win

easjer
11-15-2010, 11:24 AM

In a conference that has been separated by a handful of games 1 seed to 8 seed, it can make a difference. It's great to jump out to a good record, takes some pressure off.

But at the same time, the main thing is team improvement. So long as that continues and people find their roles, settle down, and the defense improves, I don't care so much as the record.

easjer
11-15-2010, 11:25 AM
well I said if we win in OKC I will be shocked. So call me shocked.

I certainly was shocked. Total trap game - older team, second night of a b2b, on a streak playing a hot young team led by a guy who knows the secrets? Yeah, color me surprised. And pleased.

Ditty
11-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Besides last year when the spurs were on that slump and losing streak, the spurs have never really had a problem against the bulls in san antonio. I say we win wednesday's game by a couple of points especially that boozer won' play that will help alot, he gave spurs fits last year. Friday's game is going to be damn tough against the jazz in utah, you don't know what to expect, but there not a great all around team as last year. I really want to see how blair and mcdyess play on milsap, and if splitter can be able to guard big ass al jefferson.

boutons_deux
11-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Spurs peaking too early :)

Spurs Brazil
11-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Bulls game will be tough

ThaBigFundamental21
11-15-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm bummed to see Tim only scoring 6 and 7 points a game, but at the same time he is only playing 22 minutes or so a game, and the team is WINNING! Tim doesn't have to score a ton to win. We have a lot of new shooting and youth on this team. I'm sure against some of the better teams we play Tim will have a larger roll. Clearly Pop wants Tim to rest for the playoffs, I know he can go for 18 and 10 a night still, but why? He is 34 and will be shot come playoff time. Lets just keep the W's coming. I am really enjoying us playing so well. Lets step up the D and enjoy the season.

duncan228
11-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Smiles abound after Spurs’ 8-1 start (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/15/smiles-abound-after-spurs-8-1-start/)
by Tim Griffin

...“You enjoy your teammates,” Jefferson said. “This is a stituation where we are confident and still feel we can get better.”

...“I love my job, regardless of what other guys say around me. You can’t let how you are playing dictate how your day goes,” Jefferson said. “But that being said, you want to play well and you want your team to play well.

“We won 50 games and beat Dallas and got to the second round of the playoffs. Only in San Antonio is that really a failure. You embrace that pressure and that respect that comes with this organization. So I think that’s why everybody had such a great summer working out, because it wasn’t good enough.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/15/smiles-abound-after-spurs-8-1-start/

phxspurfan
11-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Spurs have been serious all along at starting strong this year. I just hope they can keep the same effort during the dog days of February and when they start getting worn down in April.

GinobiliForTres
11-15-2010, 05:08 PM
so, any predictions on this 5-game tough stretch coming up?

Chicago - W
Utah - W (possible L)
Magic - L
Mavericks - W
Hornets - W

I'd be highly satisfied with 3-2 there. Anybody think we actually beat the Magic in San Antonio?

LeCrab
11-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Anybody think we actually beat the Magic in San Antonio?

with the way howard plays and the way spiltter takes charges look for howard to be in foul trouble.....

GinobiliForTres
11-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Good point. He had a terrible time in SA if we remember last time. lmao

Ditty
11-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Good point. He had a terrible time in SA if we remember last time. lmao

yeah :lol

7cMqx8_uNsM

I say 4-1 in that stretch we lose to utah we can go 5-0 and hope we do of course

GinobiliForTres
11-15-2010, 05:27 PM
We can beat Utah. Not saying i'm FULLY expecting a loss, but i'm not expecting too much of a win either. that's probably one of the toughest places to play in the NBA.