PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Facing his worst? The reason not to dismiss Marion

Kori Ellis
05-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Buck Harvey: Facing his worst? The reason not to dismiss Marion
Web Posted: 05/24/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052405.1S.COL.BKNharvey.2a413e1fa.html

PHOENIX — Shawn Marion talks fast, but his face says more.

Asked about Game 1, and how he scored three points in 38 minutes, and why didn't he do more, the face says there a lot of things he would like to talk about but can't.

Such as?

Why is he the one in basketball hell? How did he end up with Bruce Bowen defending him, then have to turn around to defend Tim Duncan?

The face says that.

Yet it still looks as if it can't wait for tonight.

Marion could easily change Game 2, because he spent this season changing everything. He became only the second NBA player to rank in the top five in rebounding and steals since the league began to track steals, and San Antonio knows about the other. David Robinson did the same in 1992.

But Marion did this while standing about a half-foot shorter than Robinson. And he did this after the Suns tried last summer to trade him.

It wasn't personal. The new owner, Robert Sarver, simply drew a fiscal line in the sand. Sarver said the Suns could re-sign Joe Johnson but only if they moved Marion's max contract.

The Suns failed to find a taker, and the Olympics told them how lucky they were.

Larry Brown went into Athens not wanting to play Marion, figuring he wasn't his kind of guy. Then Marion's attitude and effort, especially compared to others, changed all perceptions.

Marion, at the end, was one of Brown's favorites.

He's still not worth maximum money. Marion is a specialty player who wouldn't work everywhere, and this is not the definition of the $12 million annual salary.

Still, he gave the Suns his maximum this season. Steve Nash made the turnaround happen, and Amare Stoudemire was the power behind it.

But Marion was the one who filled the holes.

A good small forward before, he became great when moved to the power spot. And when Nash closed out the Mavericks with dramatic shots in Game 6 of that series, Marion didn't do badly in a supporting role. He merely finished with career playoff highs of 38 points and 16 rebounds.

Then came Gregg Popovich, who watched a few days worth of tape and made a change directed at Marion.

He moved Duncan on Quentin Richardson, figuring Duncan could rest his ankles standing with a 3-point shooter, and he moved Bowen on Marion.

Bowen didn't know the strategy until he saw the matchups on the locker-room board, and the Suns never saw it coming.

Point for Popovich, and just a couple for Marion.

Popovich knew Marion from the 2003 playoffs. Then, in the first game, Bowen defended a Phoenix shooter, Penny Hardaway, and held him to nine points.

Marion, meanwhile, went for 24, so Popovich switched Bowen to Marion for the next game. The results flipped, with Marion scoring six and Hardaway 17.

It was Marion's second-lowest output that season and afterward, he said, "I couldn't really get in the flow."

That no-flow stuff happened again Sunday. And Marion, to his credit, didn't do a Ray Allen.

"I'm not getting into that," Marion said of Bowen. "We're cool. We just go out and play ball."

Marion instead blamed himself for not being active and for standing too much in the corner.

"How hard is it to defend that?" he said.

Easier than what Marion faced on the other end of the floor. He tried to defend his Olympic teammate, Duncan, without a defensive scheme that called for constant double teams.

Asked how that went, this time Marion said more than his face did.

"Very hard," Marion said Monday.

"He's MVP, plus he's 7-foot tall. Do the math. I am only 6-7, 225 pounds. I am not supposed to be guarding him, but I can."

The Suns also realized Marion really wasn't supposed to be guarding Duncan.

Steven Hunter played 30 minutes Sunday because of that.

The Suns might switch again, but the Spurs won't. Bowen will continue to follow Marion.

But there's another side to this, and it's about a versatile athlete who will plug into the emotion of today. Marion is an energy player for a team that didn't have enough Sunday. Now the Suns have gotten over the Dallas hangover, and they are scared, and they are ready to run for the Phoenix crowd.

And coming off an awful game? After hearing the questions?

Everything says Marion will respond.

Just by looking at him.

PM5K
05-24-2005, 12:16 AM
Blah blah blah, no matter how good the Spurs are he won't score only three points again, and that's ok because the Spurs will make adjustments and slow other people down and with such a short rotation they only need to slow down one or two guys...

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:18 AM
another scare the Spurs fans article.

They liked to do this during the Sonic's series too.

PM5K
05-24-2005, 12:19 AM
another scare the Spurs fans article.

They liked to do this during the Sonic's series too.

I'm more horrified of the Dasani, what if we get one of those bottles and the whole Spurs team dehydrates ?

Guru of Nothing
05-24-2005, 12:23 AM
That no-flow stuff happened again Sunday. And Marion, to his credit, didn't do a Ray Allen.

"I'm not getting into that," Marion said of Bowen. "We're cool. We just go out and play ball."

Marion instead blamed himself for not being active and for standing too much in the corner.

"How hard is it to defend that?" he said.

I really, really like Shawn Marion. Going back in history, is there any player that has a similar game? The best I can come up with off the top of my head is 2/3 Buck Williams, 1/3 Bernard King; and yet, that still misses his essence.

T Park
05-24-2005, 12:25 AM
1/3 Bernard King

bernard king, even at 1/3 was three times the shooter as Marion.

Bernard is one of my favorite old school players to watch in the Hardwood classics tapes.

boutons
05-24-2005, 05:15 AM
"Everything says Marion will respond.
Just by looking at him."

As predictable as Suns will lose this series, Buck uses the same, very old, terse, try-to-dramaitc kicker-at-the-end cheapo formula that was popularized maybe 20 years ago.

Good writers have moved on and found other techniques and styles, but Buck keeps on trucking. He's a half-hearted Spurs fan, at best. He make some good points, but lose the crappy, hackneyed style.

ShoogarBear
05-24-2005, 05:41 AM
It's not Buck's--or any journalist's--job to be a Spurs fan.

He undoubtedly is one. But I don't want mindless cheerleading from sports writers. Get enough of that around here.

SPARKY
05-24-2005, 06:15 AM
Gdamn.

Marion is a fucking awesome player you clowns. He's managed careeer averages of 18.2 points, 1.85 steals, 1.2 blocks, and close to 10 boards a game (9.8 for those of you taking notes at home) at 6'7" from the 3 spot. If he was a Spur you'd be telling your buds while piss drunk that he's better than Dr. J and T Park would have his jersey and post a heartwarming story about how he met a large black man who was nice to him in this forum.

Awaiting the "You don't like it, boy? You must be a Suns fan" response...

xcoriate
05-24-2005, 06:56 AM
^^ Totally agreed outside of the Spurs organisation he is my favorite player (not to Mistilynn extremes :P). You just have to respect him, if he didn't have a max contract every team in the league would want a piece of him.

Rebounding, Shooting, Steals, Blocks and lock down D.

He owns a pretty sweet vert and finishes with the best of them.

Oh and he seems to be a pretty good character guy not overly arrogant just hard working take what I can get kind of guy.

ambchang
05-24-2005, 07:48 AM
Marion is unique, and you can argue that he is worth the max because of his D, he just is not a good offensive guy (in terms of creating opportunities, not in terms of finishing).
And finally, didn't get whiners in the playoffs ... what a relief.

foodie2
05-24-2005, 07:49 AM
Marion's attitude toward Bruce Bowen is also mature--and refreshing. He's the kind of basketball player and class act that Ray Allen can only dream of being.

Supergirl
05-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Marion's attitude toward Bruce Bowen is also mature--and refreshing. He's the kind of basketball player and class act that Ray Allen can only dream of being.

Marion respect Bowen because Marion knows about good defense. He's a great player, defensively and offensively.

I think it also shows a lot of respect from the Spurs that they put their best defender on him. Not Nash or Stoudemire, but on Marion. There's a lot of mutual respect there.