PDA

View Full Version : backboard pass

diego
11-15-2010, 01:46 PM
how come every time a player does a self pass to the backboard (like kobe last night) it never gets called? I know it doesnt happen often but I dont think i've ever seen it called, and the rules clearly state it is illegal, unless you really want to argue they were botched FGA.

anonoftheinternets
11-15-2010, 01:59 PM
its not a self pass if it hits the board ....

Obstructed_View
11-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Someone hasn't read the "clearly stated" rules.

d. A player may dribble a second time if he lost control of the ball because of:
(1) A field goal attempt at his basket, provided the ball touches the backboard or basket ring

i. A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.

history2b
11-15-2010, 02:18 PM
A Spurs fan who doesn't know the rules?

I'm shocked.

diego
11-15-2010, 07:12 PM
d. A player may dribble a second time if he lost control of the ball because of:
(1) A field goal attempt at his basket, provided the ball touches the backboard or basket ring

i. A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.

right, which is why i said "unless you really want to argue they were botched FGA". are you telling me that was a shot? please

tbonewalker
11-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Lol

Phillip
11-15-2010, 07:15 PM
right, which is why i said "unless you really want to argue they were botched FGA". are you telling me that was a shot? please

rules are rules. stupidshit

diego
11-15-2010, 07:15 PM
was it counted as a miss and a make in the box score? i doubt it

JMarkJohns
11-15-2010, 07:17 PM

Yes. It's a missed FG and a made FG (assuming they make the second).

DAF86
11-15-2010, 07:17 PM
When a player makes a board pass to another guy, (like Blake to Gasol not too long ago), does he get the assist or the missed FG?

Texas_Ranger
11-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Kobe just missed a FG, got an offensive rebound and made the FG.

diego
11-15-2010, 07:23 PM
it has to be counted like that it they're considering it a FGA, but announcers and fans all call it for what it evidently is, a self pass, and I doubt the scorekeepers saw it any different

anonoftheinternets
11-15-2010, 07:28 PM
well think of it this way, the board is the same as the floor in the sense ur allowed to driblle to move from point A to point B, and throwing it at the backboard is in the sense moving from point A to point using a "dribble". If u jus throw it to urself and run to the new position its akin to running without dribbling. Thats why throwing it off the board, rim, players is all allowed.just that it needs to touch something.

diego
11-15-2010, 07:31 PM
go look at nba.com's top 5 for sunday, kobe is number 1. tell me that was a FGA. the announcer didnt think so, in fact, he lauded kobe for his self pass. and the rules clearly state you cannot make a self pass, only recover a missed FGA.

you can't have it both ways- either he made a horrible shot and recovered (not top 5 material) or he is an offensive genius for making a perfect self pass off the backboard (easily a number 1 play).

DOMINATOR
11-15-2010, 07:38 PM
go look at nba.com's top 5 for sunday, kobe is number 1. tell me that was a FGA. the announcer didnt think so, in fact, he lauded kobe for his self pass. and the rules clearly state you cannot make a self pass, only recover a missed FGA.

you can't have it both ways- either he made a horrible shot and recovered (not top 5 material) or he is an offensive genius for making a perfect self pass off the backboard (easily a number 1 play).

you sir are a moron.

diego
11-15-2010, 07:56 PM
The NBA disallowed Bob Sura’striple double (see releaseat bottom of the page) because the rule book states that “A field goal attempt is a player’s attempt to shoot the ball into the basket for a field goal.”

The rule bookalso says “A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.”

Remember the game last week where Kobe, stopped by his defender with nowhere to go, threw the ball off the backboard to himself and dunked the ball. Is this a legal move or not?

If Sura’s shot wasn’t a field goal attempt, then Kobe’s certainly wasn’t either. We can’t have it both ways.

If Kobe’s pass to himself was just that, are we now allowingplayers to pass the ball to themselves by bouncing the ball off the backboard? Isn’t that a travel? Or can everyone pass the ball to themselves at anytime now? And just how was Kobe credited on that play? A shot? Arebound? An assist to himself?

What is the NBA trying to accomplish by taking away the Field Goal Attempt? If they are going to speak up about this, why not speak up about Kobe’s pass to himself. One thing will be for certain, since no one said aword about Kobe’s play, then every other guy in the league is going to look for an opportunity to do it.

Will it be a turnover or a bucket?

If the NBA cares about stats, then care about stats and be consistent. Bob Sura wasn’t the first player to pad his stats in some manner or another, and the scoring table is notorious for giving the benefit of the doubt to the local team and negatively impacting the stats of the visiting team’s players. Some places have a hard enough time keeping the score and time right. Why correct Sura’s stats and not any others?

If the NBA cares about enforcing the rules, then enforce the rules across the board. People wonder why there is a perception about a star system. Not a peep about Kobe, and a press release about Sura.

As an owner, I would love to knowwho in the NBA cared enough about this to take action? There had to be something personal going on somewhere. I can guess who did it, but this person dislikes me enough as is…

Hopefully someone in the NBA will do the right thing and say that passing to oneself off the backboard is not a legitimate field goal attempt, and hence traveling. Better yet, maybe someone will have the guts just to stand up and say, “Hey, we are going to let people pass off the backboard like Kobe and McGrady did (in the all star game) because even though it’s against the rules, it’s good for TV…

One or the other will replace what I see right now. Hypocrisy. I hate hypocrisy.

from 2004, blogmaverick (http://blogmaverick.com/2004/04/13/no-triple-double-i-have-a-question/)

stu jackson has gone on record saying it is a travel

JMarkJohns
11-15-2010, 08:02 PM
It's a shot and offensive rebound. It's what it's scored as. It's what it is. Yes, it's a pass in reality, but technically, it's a FG attempt that meets all the criteria for a shot attempt, and is rebounded.

Kobe (And Miller prior to Kobe this year) made the attempt available for anyone with the best positioning to grab what would have been a rebound. They, themselves, just so happened to be that player, and the play, itself, just so happened to put them in a better position to make their next attempt.

So long as the ball hits the backboard/rim and not just the ground, then it's a FG attempt and not a self pass, no matter how obviously pass-worthy it really was.

Gutter92
11-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Wrong. It was not a shot attempt, as it was not counted as a missed field goal. http://www.nba.com/games/20101114/PHXLAL/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp0021000143#

Go to the play by play where it gets the score to 12-9. That's the bucket, didn't count as a missed fieldgoal, nor a rebound, therefore it was not a shot...and as it's not a shot...yea

diego
11-15-2010, 08:32 PM
its not that kobe is the only player that does/has done this. and its not like it happens all the time either. But if they are going to allow it, they should reword the sentence. the rule clearly states that a field goal attempt is involved, and there is precedent for the NBA defining a "normal shooting motion", and as the announcers, fans and everyone with half a functioning brain can plainly see, it is not a field goal attempt, it is a pass (a great one at that). the NBA has a double standard where players can do it because of its entertainment value, but not to pad stats like a bob sura or ricky davis. They've set precedence for correcting sura's stats, yet i checked the play by play on nba.com:

http://www.nba.com/games/20101114/PHXLAL/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp0021000143#nbaGIboxscore

he got a made basket: no missed fga, no rebound, no new fga. just one made basket.

so you see i'm right, the NBA is not calling this consistently (much like carrys, steps, and over the back- if the play is spectacular the refs let it go)
you can argue this is better, fine, but at least acknowledge it is inconsistent and poorly worded.

ElNono
11-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Being that it was Kobe, it was probably stat-padding...
Which, as KG would tell you, it's perfectly legal.

BronxCowboy
11-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Nobody's mentioning that it looked like he traveled before he ever made the shot attempt/pass and it wasn't called?

TheMACHINE
11-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Nobody's mentioning that it looked like he traveled before he ever made the shot attempt/pass and it wasn't called?

he kept his pivot foot planted.

LnGrrrR
11-15-2010, 09:15 PM
you sir are a moron.

Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I'm not sir, and that sir, is an idiot.

diego
11-16-2010, 04:52 PM
bump for obstructed view and philip.

rules are rules? clearly stated? so why wasn't kobe given a missed fga and a rebound on the play? why does NBA.com highlight kobe's self pass? is the self pass legal or not? the rules say nothing of a pass, they talk about a FGA. why was bob sura's layup off the backboard for a rebound removed from the record books (deemed not an FGA), but when a player whips it of the backboard for a dunk/jumper there is not only no rectification, but a highlight of the great play?

thanks in advance for taking the time to answer

stretch
11-16-2010, 05:10 PM
:cry :cry :cry i have nothing better to do than to find reasons to say the NBA is biased against the spurs :cry because they let Kobe Bryant throw himself an alley oop off the backboard, even :cry though I know if anyone in San Antonio did it :cry I would probably be so happy i'd fuck my mom tonight :cry :cry

Gutter92
11-16-2010, 05:15 PM
I still can't get over the fact that we lost in 06:cry :crywe were up 2-0 :cry :cry Dwyane Wade tore us a new one :cry :cry having 0 rings sucks!

I feel ya man, we're only 4 rings apart.

Giuseppe
11-16-2010, 05:16 PM
....& The Skunker.

nkdlunch

rules are rules? clearly stated? so why wasn't kobe given a missed fga and a rebound on the play? why does NBA.com highlight kobe's self pass? is the self pass legal or not? the rules say nothing of a pass, they talk about a FGA. why was bob sura's layup off the backboard for a rebound removed from the record books (deemed not an FGA), but when a player whips it of the backboard for a dunk/jumper there is not only no rectification, but a highlight of the great play?

may God help you in your search for answers to these mythical questions

stretch
:cry :cry im too incapable of coming up with a clever rebuttal to a post that wasnt :cry even directed at me that i resort to ring smack because its all i got :cry im gonna confess to daddy tonight that i love to suck dicks :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

Giuseppe
11-16-2010, 05:27 PM
ha, ha, Stretch just spilled Gutter's plums all over Kori's good carpeting.

stretch
11-16-2010, 05:38 PM
tee hee

DAF86
11-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Yes. It's a missed FG and a made FG (assuming they make the second).

Kobe just missed a FG, got an offensive rebound and made the FG.

It's a shot and offensive rebound. It's what it's scored as. It's what it is. Yes, it's a pass in reality, but technically, it's a FG attempt that meets all the criteria for a shot attempt, and is rebounded.

You could have checked the box-score first, tbh.

Obstructed_View
11-16-2010, 06:38 PM

It's up to the scorekeeper to award them the rebound or the field goal attempt, and I wouldn't reward them with a field goal attempt or a rebound on that play unless the league said I was required to. There's nothing I've been able to see in the rules that clearly states that it's illegal.

What Bob Sura layup? Was it a lame attempt to get a rebound? As I said, I wouldn't award someone a rebound on a play like that. If the NBA wants to make that play illegal I have no problem with it, but they haven't, so it was a good play by Kobe.

history2b
11-16-2010, 08:04 PM

No, it was counted as an assist and a basket dipshit.

Obstructed_View
11-16-2010, 09:17 PM
I doubt it's counted as an assist. It's likely counted as a single made shot attempt.

dbestpro
11-16-2010, 09:34 PM
The backboard pass was a historical Spur innovation as a way to get the ball to Billy Paultz.

Giuseppe
11-16-2010, 09:42 PM
The Whopper

SomeCallMeTim
11-17-2010, 03:32 AM
You could have checked the box-score first, tbh.

Scorers make mistakes -- or, in the case of the Jazz' home official scorer, conduct a long-term, orchestrated campaign to stretch the definition of certain plays -- so I wouldn't use the box score as the Bible in settling this matter. :lol

O.J Mayo
11-17-2010, 03:36 AM
No, it was counted as an assist and a basket dipshit.

How is it an assist if you get the ball to yourself, dumbfuck Laker fag.

jbspurs
11-17-2010, 10:50 AM
No assist or Rebound, only a field goal attempt. No difference to an off the backboard slamdunk. No assist, NO rebound or No extra points for the degree of difficulty, Just a field goal!

Giuseppe
11-17-2010, 10:57 AM
No assist or Rebound, only a field goal attempt. No difference to an off the backboard slamdunk. No assist, NO rebound or No extra points for the degree of difficulty, Just a field goal!

&&&&&& where's the sign off of gay putdown?

Biggems
11-17-2010, 11:03 AM
I saw Isaiah Thomas, in an all star game, take a running shot, catch it while he was still in the air, and shot it again and make it...it was spectacular. He basically tried to shot over a tall player, which left the shot way short....but as the defender flew by after attempting the block, Isaiah caught the shot and shot it again before touching the ground.

That is the only time I have ever seen it. I am sure it has happened before or since, but I do not watch every moment of every NBA game.

Biggems
11-17-2010, 11:05 AM

there has to be a rebound....

if you get to a missed FG, that is called a rebound.

So if you miss a shot, get the ball back and put it in the bucket...you get a missed FG, a rebound (offensive), and a made FG.

jbspurs
11-17-2010, 11:16 AM
there has to be a rebound....

if you get to a missed FG, that is called a rebound.

So if you miss a shot, get the ball back and put it in the bucket...you get a missed FG, a rebound (offensive), and a made FG.

Would you count a rebound on the off the backboard dunk? How about the bounce the ball off your opponents body inbound play, Would you also count an assist? .