PDA

View Full Version : LeBron humbled by Person of Year award nomination

duncan228
11-15-2010, 02:27 PM
LeBron humbled by Person of Year award nomination (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lebron-timepersonofyear)
By Tim Reynolds

If the Miami Heat locker room was polled, LeBron James would not have unanimous support in the race for Time’s Person of the Year.

James wouldn’t even vote for himself.

Calling it “crazy” just to be on the list of finalists for the award, the NBA’s reigning two-time MVP seemed almost a bit embarrassed on Monday when he learned that he was one of the final 25 names under consideration. The winner of the award, bestowed since 1927 on a person or group who “has done the most to influence the events of the year,” is expected to be revealed next month.

“I am who I am and I think I’m in a position of my life where I’m going to get better every day,” James said after Miami wrapped up its practice Monday. “But it’s too much.”

Other finalists this year include President Barack Obama (the 2008 winner), Lady Gaga, Sarah Palin, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, conservative commentator Glenn Beck, Afghan President Hamid Karzai and Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Also on the list: The trapped Chilean miners who spent more than two months underground before finally being reached and rescued in a gripping story that was covered worldwide.

“That’s just crazy,” James said. “What those guys did, the courage and what they stood for, I should be nowhere near that list. Nowhere near it.”

Charles Lindbergh was the first winner of the award. President Franklin D. Roosevelt is the only three-time winner, and most recent winners include Vladimir Putin in 2007, Obama in 2008 and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke in 2009.

Online:

Time Person of the Year: http://bit.ly/dvGISO

lefty
11-15-2010, 02:28 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/9ao5ts.gif

Giuseppe
11-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Time Magazine always does this against the grain shit with their Man of the Year Award,,,i.e., Adolph Hitler, Idi Amin Dada, Saddamn Hussein, Hussein Obozo, Richard Speck, et al & etc.

da_suns_fan
11-15-2010, 02:36 PM
The "tea party" didnt even make the list when "they" were so obviously person of the year.

Time has given out the award to groups of people before.

ALVAREZ6
11-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Well I would have to agree... the influence Lebron James has had this past year is huge. It has been nearly impossible to avoid hearing about Lebron.

DJB
11-15-2010, 02:40 PM
I thought this was going to be an Onion article...

Rummpd
11-15-2010, 03:00 PM
“I am who I am and I think I’m in a position of my life where I’m going to get better every day,” James said after Miami wrapped up its practice Monday. “But it’s too much.”

Sigh

fmedrano1977
11-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Who gives a fuck! Libtard mag!

baseline bum
11-15-2010, 03:02 PM
The "tea party" didnt even make the list when "they" were so obviously person of the year.

Time has given out the award to groups of people before.

When the teabaggers lost to Harry Reid and a write-in? :lol

history2b
11-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Well did you seeing the name of the committee that nominated him as a Finalist? CoMB, a little known organization based in Florida.

lefty
11-15-2010, 03:15 PM
I thought this was going to be an Onion article...
:lol

nkdlunch
11-15-2010, 03:20 PM
did Florida voting machines have anything to do with this nomination?

lefty
11-15-2010, 03:23 PM
did Florida voting machines have anything to do with this nomination?
Black Bush

Wait...that didnt sound gay at all

Giuseppe
11-15-2010, 03:28 PM
When the teabaggers lost to Harry Reid and a write-in? :lol

Though they did make the House Dem's set their mouth upon the curb....

"Now, say good night."

baseline bum
11-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Though they did make the House Dem's set their mouth upon the curb....

"Now, say good night."

The teabaggers didn't do that, with the exception of Rand Paul maybe. The Democrats managed to curbstomp themselves. Seriously, how do you lose to Harry Reid?

Pero
11-15-2010, 06:07 PM
So basically this is an award without any particular positive meaning? Just a kind of celeb award?

KidCongo
11-15-2010, 07:34 PM
His 'team' hasn't told him that he was nominated for this award because of the wrong reasons.

I hope his PR just keeps getting uglier.

BanditHiro
11-15-2010, 07:49 PM
i guess all the work he did for the kids is paying off...

j.dizzle
11-15-2010, 07:53 PM
He did it for the kids!!!!!!

Koolaid_Man
11-15-2010, 07:58 PM
hmmmm...and i thought Delonte's skeet skeet skeet would have done dat...

HarlemHeat37
11-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Generate 6 million + $ for charities? check..

Off-season event drawing more attention than any NBA event or game since Jordan? check..

Continue the annual bike-a-thon in Ohio, despite all the criticism, just so the kids can get what they deserve? check..

Nominated for Person of the Year? check..

While the Heat have disappointed and are a work in progress, Lebron's work and accomplishments in the communities around the world are second to none..I fully expect him to pursue a Mutombo-like path following basketball..

SomeCallMeTim
11-15-2010, 10:10 PM
How many years has it been since most people could actually understand that "humbled" and "honored" are two different words and nearly opposite concepts?

cobbler
11-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Promising to never give up until you bring a title the Cleveland. check
Came within hours of being sent home from Athens Olympics for being an arrogant prick. check
USA basketball having to take a vote on the risks/rewards of including the "ego" on the 2008 team. check
Walking off the court like a petulant child after choking to the Magic. check
Quiting on your teammates. check
Shitting on your community and fanbase. check
Showing all the narcissistic personality traits on prime time TV and justifying the circus by implying it was done for the kids. check
Promising to bring multiple titles to Miami and thus starting the circle all over. check

BanditHiro
11-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Came within hours of being sent home from Athens Olympics for being an arrogant prick. check
USA basketball having to take a vote on the risks/rewards of including the "ego" on the 2008 team. check
Showing all the narcissistic personality traits on prime time TV and justifying the circus by implying it was done for the kids. check
Promising to bring multiple titles to Miami and thus starting the circle all over. check

Raping a young white girl in Colorado: Check

HarlemHeat37
11-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Most of those are false..

At least he didn't lie about his disability to make himself look good on ST..

cobbler
11-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Most of those are false..

At least he didn't lie about his disability to make himself look good on ST..

Prove one false must less most!

And prove that I lied in any way about my disability.

Put up or STFU because everyone here knows you for the liar and hypocrite you are.

edit... we know you won't have anything to say don't we because you have absolutely no proof backing up your comments while any simple search can prove all those are in fact TRUTH. But what would you know about the truth? :toast

cobbler
11-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Raping a young white girl in Colorado: Check

This is a thread about Lebron. Leave your Kobe obsessions for appropriate threads.

BanditHiro
11-15-2010, 11:19 PM
This is a thread about Lebron. Leave your Kobe obsessions for appropriate threads.

you kinda have no room to besmirch someone when the face of the lakers franchise is a rapist along with being an egomaniac

cobbler
11-15-2010, 11:28 PM
you kinda have no room to besmirch someone when the face of the lakers franchise is a rapist along with being an egomaniac

I have gone on record many times dissing Kobe for his egomaniac ways. I don't believe the rape happened and there is NO proof that it did. You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

This was a thread about Lebron and I'm just pointing out proven facts unlike you who is just tossing around your subjective opinion as if it was fact.

DPG21920
11-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Wow, this board is a lot better with Cobbler's amazing takes back.

HarlemHeat37
11-15-2010, 11:31 PM
You have never proven to be disabled, I have no reason to believe you..you're the type of person that would lie about it though, that's your character..

If you prove it, I'll take back what I said..

cobbler
11-15-2010, 11:42 PM
You have never proven to be disabled, I have no reason to believe you..you're the type of person that would lie about it though, that's your character..

If you prove it, I'll take back what I said..

I have nothing to prove. Not really sure what you want here Hobag? You know nothing about character and have been shown on numerous occasions by many posters here to be the liar.

Soooo where is the proof that all those LBJ comments are false? Waiting....

BanditHiro
11-15-2010, 11:42 PM
I have gone on record many times dissing Kobe for his egomaniac ways. I don't believe the rape happened and there is NO proof that it did. You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

This was a thread about Lebron and I'm just pointing out proven facts unlike you who is just tossing around your subjective opinion as if it was fact.

because you didn't say anything that can be left up to subjection?

cobbler
11-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Wow, this board is a lot better with Cobbler's amazing takes back.

ohhh look....how cute. DPG knobslobbing HarlemHo yet again.

cobbler
11-15-2010, 11:44 PM
because you didn't say anything that can be left up to subjection?

nope. not a one and you can easily find many articles on every point i made concerning Bron. It is what it is.

BanditHiro
11-15-2010, 11:48 PM
nope. not a one and you can easily find many articles on every point i made concerning Bron. It is what it is.

because those articles aren't full of apparent bias and subjection?

DPG21920
11-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Cobbler sh*tting on ST.

cobbler
11-15-2010, 11:51 PM
because those articles aren't full of apparent bias and subjection?

Of course they can be. But over the years, after numerous incidents, you just have to figure it is what it is. In 2004 I saw it first hand and not from any article.

cobbler
11-15-2010, 11:52 PM
Cobbler sh*tting on ST.

nope. Just you and your bf Hobag!

NightyNite!!! Wipe the chin... your dripping!

HarlemHeat37
11-15-2010, 11:57 PM
- The stories about Lebron/Olympics have never been confirmed by reputable sources, all speculation..the primary article was written by Wojo, the biggest Lebron hater of all-time..

- It has never been proven that Lebron has quit on his teammates..

- Lebron never did anything to his community or fanbase..he was a Free Agent..the Cavs fanbase turned their backs on Lebron..

- Your second to last point is just silly..

- There's nothing wrong with predicting titles for the Heat, they have plenty of time to do it..

Again, mostly lies, as usual..

I also don't understand why you keep calling me a liar..I don't lie, I joke around occasionally..

BanditHiro
11-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Of course they can be. But over the years, after numerous incidents, you just have to figure it is what it is. In 2004 I saw it first hand and not from any article.

i know LeBron can be an egomaniac at times but still doesn't take away from his contributions to the community regardless if you think he is using it as a scapegoat to soothe his ego.

the FO never met him half-way instead they kept paying players who were known to disappear in the playoffs. He was a FA and moved on he gave them 7 years. Not every team can do colluded deals like the Lakers and Grizzles did.

cobbler
11-16-2010, 12:21 AM
- The stories about Lebron/Olympics have never been confirmed by reputable sources, all speculation..the primary article was written by Wojo, the biggest Lebron hater of all-time....

Articles were written about 2004 ong before the Wojo article. I was also there in person and saw some of it first hand. Funny how after the Wojo article surfaced that none of the USA basketball officials or even Lebrons camp denied anything? Hmmmmm

- It has never been proven that Lebron has quit on his teammates....

Not really something you can prove now is it? But surely everyone saw what happend and majority of opinion is that he folded his tent vs Boston.

- Lebron never did anything to his community or fanbase..he was a Free Agent..the Cavs fanbase turned their backs on Lebron....

He lied to them. He did not fulfill his promise.

- There's nothing wrong with predicting titles for the Heat, they have plenty of time to do it....

Nothing wrong at all. Never said there was. Just pointed out that the circle was starting over.... just a different local.

- Again, mostly lies, as usual..

Not a one.

- I also don't understand why you keep calling me a liar..I don't lie, I joke around occasionally..

You don't understand a lot... but that's ok. :toast

cobbler
11-16-2010, 12:27 AM
i know LeBron can be an egomaniac at times but still doesn't take away from his contributions to the community regardless if you think he is using it as a scapegoat to soothe his ego.

the FO never met him half-way instead they kept paying players who were known to disappear in the playoffs. He was a FA and moved on he gave them 7 years. Not every team can do colluded deals like the Lakers and Grizzles did.

Ok... so he contributes to the community. So does Kobe but that doesn't deter you from pointing out his faults now does it?

Never met him halfway? Correct. There was no halfway. It was all Lebron's way! Have you read all the articles coming out about how he and his posse behaved in Cleveland?

He had absolutely every right to move wherever he wished being a FA. How he did it was the issue most have with him. That he didn't fulfill his promises is just a lack of personal fortitude that he will have to love with but well within his rights.

The collusion card? Really? Still not over it? How sad to be so obsessed with absolutely NOTHING to back it up.

Koolaid_Man
11-16-2010, 01:48 AM

and how many times has Kobe raped Duncan and took his on and off again manhood? I'm ok with rape are you ok with rape...:lol

Rape can be a beautiful thing young BanditHo...:lol

CLassic example...all up in that Duncan Ass...with no rubber no less...

WQxgHgRh95Y

GuerillaBlack
11-16-2010, 02:06 AM
This retard cobbler has the worst comebacks.

ALVAREZ6
11-16-2010, 02:19 AM
This is the kind of shit that makes me hate ESPN.

No one would know about this stupid ass award nomination, or the award itself, if it weren't for ESPN to douchebaggedly put this as a main story on the front page on its website.

No one should know about this shit, cus it's fucking nothing. Stop creating bullshit Lebron/Heat coverage. ESPN is probably responsible for 30% of the LeBron hate, simply for how much bullshit they create out of nothing. People get sick of hearing about LeBron? Very understandable, I just hope these people realize it's ESPN that's shoving him down everybody's throat.

cobbler
11-16-2010, 02:20 AM
This retard cobbler has the worst comebacks.

I'm so crushed!!! Whatever shall I do? :lmao

KidCongo
11-16-2010, 04:52 AM

If Lebron put any effort into recruiting players to Cleveland in 7 years like he did with the Heat in the first two weeks he signed there the Cavs might have a championship or more.

No LeBron didn't want Ray Allen or Michael Redd, he didn't even bother showing up to meet Redd. It was just Eric Snow the other team captain.

LeBron wanted Larry Hughes so he was catered too. The front office before Danny Ferry blew any potentially good assets with bad drafting and terrible trades (2005 lottery pick for Jiri Welsch, you know that guy out of the NBA the next season).

The front office surrounded LeBron with enough talent, if you said the coaching wasn't up to par then you would have a point.

Venti Quattro
11-16-2010, 09:31 AM
TIME did it for the kids.

jeebus
11-16-2010, 09:56 AM
http://mrslebronwade.com/?p=203

hater
11-16-2010, 09:59 AM

5 of those are 110% true

2 of those are rumors. But knowning lebron and by use of logic I would say at least one of them is true.

so 6 out of 1 are 100% true.

carry on.