PDA

View Full Version : Australia

Xylus
11-15-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm planning a trip to Australia that I want to surprise my girl with. I've never been there, heard things about certain places that would be cool to visit. Have any of you visited Australia, and do you have any suggestions for where to stay, things to see, places to go, etc?

My original plan was to get a hotel near downtown Sydney, but nothing's set yet.

tlongII
11-15-2010, 05:17 PM
I went there over 20 years ago and it was probably the best vacation I've had in my life. I spent a month there and stayed at a bed and breakfast in Victoria, stayed in Melbourne, stayed in Sydney, and spent a week on a sailboat sailing through the Whitsunday Islands in the Great Barrier Reef. I recommend spending the time on a sailboat going through the Whitsundays if you still can. It was UNBEAVABLE!

AussieFanKurt
11-15-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm planning a trip to Australia that I want to surprise my girl with. I've never been there, heard things about certain places that would be cool to visit. Have any of you visited Australia, and do you have any suggestions for where to stay, things to see, places to go, etc?

My original plan was to get a hotel near downtown Sydney, but nothing's set yet.

I'd personally suggest Melbourne and Brisbane over Sydney. They are both nicer places and Sydney is a bit of a shit hole really. There's plenty to see around Aus but depends how much time you've got

Xylus
11-15-2010, 06:37 PM
I've got about a week, so I'd like to do a few days in one place and then a few days in another. How is public transportation in places like Melbourne and Brisbane?

AussieFanKurt
11-15-2010, 06:49 PM
I've got about a week, so I'd like to do a few days in one place and then a few days in another. How is public transportation in places like Melbourne and Brisbane?

Public transport in Melbourne is really good. Trains are easiest, there's also trams and buses. In Brisbane its buses and trains. Sydney is a good place to go coz theres landmarks and the such but I'm not a fan of it. Jamming everything into a week could be tough

DieMrBond
11-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Avoid Perth if you aren't an old person - nothing to see or do over here for younger people. Beautiful however.

Brisbane would be a good place to go, because thats where all the theme parks and better beaches are.

Adelaide is similar to perth - churches and the like.

Been to Sydney once, and didn't like it much - but thats a little presumptive to suggest you wouldnt either.

Haven't been to Melbourne, but a lot of my friends adore the place. Good markets, music, sights, etc. Rains more than anywhere else tho.

Tasmania has awesome scenery, mountains and stuff - but not much in the way of night life, or anything like that.

Darwin would be nice for the crocs and a bit of the outback, but probably doesnt fit your timeframe.

Have fun!

frodo
11-15-2010, 07:45 PM
buy yourself a life insurance before the trip. there are a motley of poisonous snakes inhabiting in australia as well as various species of poisonous lizards.

Hedgie
11-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Don't forget the poison spiders, jellyfish and sharks ;)

Chachachango
11-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Don't forget to visit the Fucking town and tell us how much fucking there was.

The Reckoning
11-15-2010, 08:51 PM
dont forget to kick ruffandready's ass while youre over there

TDMVPDPOY
11-15-2010, 08:54 PM
come hang out with the afghans at our detention camps, u love it

ChuckD
11-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Don't forget to visit the Fucking town and tell us how much fucking there was.

Not ready for MENSA, are you?

CubanMustGo
11-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Aussies are incredibly outgoing and friendly. They keep the good beer over there, don't waste your time on Fosters. Nice wine, too.

My wife and I loved Tasmania's Cradle Mountain National Park and the lodge up there. We spent a few days there and a couple in Hobart. Hiking, scenery, and the lodge has surprisingly good food and if you're taking your wife they have massages for two and other fun stuff.

The Red Centre (Uluru, the Olgas) is otherworldly. And talk about desolate - once you leave the park areas you would never know humans had ever lived there.

Syndey is cool and lots of beach there and all kinds of things to do and see.

Cairns makes a great stepping-off place for the Great Barrier Reef.

Doing Oz in only a week ... ouch. A day there, a day back, unless you're superhuman you're gonna be very jetlagged upon arrival. Good luck!

DieMrBond
11-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Oh, also the best time to come is November > April/May. Thats basically summer, the beaches and bikinis are on full display.

You will get a bit of rain at the edges of those months (particularly if you go up north towards the tropics) - but summer here is spectacular. Expect 32-42 degrees celcius (89.6-107.6 farenheit). Expect higher towards the center of Australia. Use suncream liberally.

I. Hustle
01-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Monkey tits in jello