PDA

View Full Version : J.J.'s future is all that matters

Jimcs50
05-24-2005, 07:56 AM
J.J.'s future is all that matters

Dan Bickley
The Arizona Republic
May. 24, 2005 12:00 AM

What do you want? What will you do to get it?

The Spurs had their answers ready before Game 1 of the Western Conference finals. The Suns are just getting around to the questions.

None have the implications facing Joe Johnson.

These days, when Johnson looks in the mirror, he still sees a disfigured, bloodshot eye. He knows it is almost his time to get paid, and the wrong move could cost him millions of dollars. Surely, taking care of business has come up over the dinner table with members of his extended family, in town from Little Rock.

Yet when he looks on the court from his seat on the bench, he sees a basketball team screaming for his presence. It isn't so much Johnson's offensive skills, suitably replaced by the ever-dependable Jimmy Jackson. This is about his defense, his ability to effectively scramble and recover when the Suns need to double-team Tim Duncan.

Without Johnson in the late stages of Game 1 Sunday, the astute ball movement in and out of Duncan's hands had the Suns looking like blind mice in a maze. More than anything, that 43-point fourth-quarter pounding by the Spurs is what cast this sudden pall over the series.

What makes this matter tricky is that a doctor officially cleared Johnson last Friday, allowing the Suns star to return at his discretion. That night in Dallas, members of the Suns organization relayed highly optimistic reports. They held out hope he would play in Game 1.

Between then and now, something much different has occurred.

"We're shutting him down until he's ready," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "He's going to come back when he's 100 percent healthy and ready to play at a high level."

Johnson did not work out with the team on Monday, and D'Antoni said Johnson was having his mask "fitted, some other stuff." In other words, he might've been seeking a second opinion from another doctor concerning the general integrity of his face.

So consider this delay in Johnson's timetable as the Suns' first in-series adjustment. As much as regaining Johnson's defensive skills could balance the scales a bit, the Suns know they might have put undue pressure on Johnson by the announcing he was cleared to play.

It makes him look skittish, soft, maybe even selfish. In a contract year - Johnson is expected to command $60 million to $65 million as a restricted free agent - that kind of pressure is not appreciated. If the Suns aren't careful here, this could drive a wedge into the collective harmony enjoyed by the Suns.

Nothing is worth losing that. And truth is, Johnson should be apprehensive.

"First and foremost, even though the mask is made of plexiglass, there are visual problems," said former NBA center Will Perdue, who suffered the same injury during his time with the Spurs. "You're so used to, as a player, being able to move your eyes from side to side, using your peripheral vision. Well, this pretty much eliminates the peripheral vision.

"When I first started wearing the mask, I took a couple balls off the side of the head because I figured I could just turn my eyes. There's also the issue of getting comfortable with it. It's not a porous material, so you sweat profusely."

Anything else?

"When the swelling goes down, he has to get new (masks) because the pressure points in your face change," Perdue said. "It's a very complicated situation."

On July 1, Johnson can receive offers from other NBA clubs, and the Suns have the right to match the amount. It has made the water murky, and Sunday night on Channel 12 (KPNX), straight-shooting broadcaster Eddie Johnson said Joe Johnson has to make this decision alone, not his mother, his uncle or other members of his immediate family.

All told, this a no-win situation for the player involved. If Johnson rushes back and performs poorly, it may affect his immediate market value. If he doesn't play, especially after being medically cleared, the aforementioned questions could linger:

What do you want? What will you do to get it?

"The Joe Johnson that I know wants to play as soon as possible," Perdue said. "He and I share the same agent (Arn Tellem), and Arn told me he was itching to get back.

"But I wouldn't want to be in Joe's position, because I've been there. I wouldn't want to be in coach D'Antoni's position, I wouldn't want to be the doctor and I wouldn't want to be Bryan Colangelo. All these guys have to make decisions that could affect them and him and the team."

The hope is that the Suns squeak out a victory tonight and Johnson laces them up Saturday in San Antonio. Maybe then they can steal a game on the road. But Johnson's comfort level must come first. He has earned the benefit of all doubt, and Johnson should know whatever pressure he is feeling isn't coming from the locker room.

"Me, personally, I just want Joe to get healthy," Amaré Stoudemire said. "Before the game of basketball, he's a friend of mine.

"I don't want him to come back and re-injure something. You can't play around with the eyes."

Even though they're thisclose to the brass ring, the Suns have wisely moved into patient mode. There is no shame in losing to the Spurs, especially with an undermanned lineup. And nothing should take precedence over the biggest victory to come out of this wonderful season:

The future.

Reach Bickley at [email protected] or (602) 444-8253.

TDMVPDPOY
05-24-2005, 09:27 AM
I think he shouldnt come back, cose it could extend the injury and shit happens in games so is it worth it? his still young and there are still plenty of opportunities left and his seekin that contract, if he comes back decides to play the spurs can show how overrated he is and he can lose that contract price his lookin for :D

Jimcs50
05-24-2005, 09:43 AM
JJ is not playing tonight, but is expected to play on Sat.

Spurs need to take advantage and win again. Phoenix could really get a lift when he comes back on Sat and if SA is not careful, the Suns could use that energy boost and steal game 3. The Spurs need to win tonight to hedge against Phoenix stealing HCA back with that one win in SA.

boutons
05-24-2005, 09:50 AM
Yes, Jim, tonight I want to see the killer Spurs, having put max pressure on the Suns, to extinguish all rays of hope. Suns as a road-kill Cinderella team getting schooled in how the best teams deliver playoff basketball.

I'm sure the Spurs all watched the Pistons-having-a-good-game last night. The Suns are a very different team from the Pistons, but Spurs have to use the Suns series to push themselves to raise all aspects of their game in preparation for the the Pistons series.

nkdlunch
05-24-2005, 10:00 AM
If he's not even practicing yet, I doubt he'll play on Saturday. And if he does, he won't be the same. He won't be a factor this series, that's for sure.

MadDog73
05-24-2005, 10:13 AM
"Even though they're this close to the brass ring, the Suns have wisely moved into patient mode. There is no shame in losing to the Spurs, especially with an undermanned lineup. And nothing should take precedence over the biggest victory to come out of this wonderful season:

The future."

Interesting. It seems the press have almost conceded the series already. I know the Suns haven't given up yet, but do you think the fans have accepted that the Spurs are the better team?

nkdlunch
05-24-2005, 10:15 AM
And they're making such a big deal about JJ. Please, we would beat this team w/him or w/out. :rolleyes

boutons
05-24-2005, 10:46 AM
The JJ side-show as saviour-of-the-Suns-series is total BS.

JJ no-showed @SBC. And next weekend he's gonna show up?

JJ no-showed in 4th qtr and OT of the Manu Legend Game @PHX.

JJ barely got double figures in the loss @PHX.

JJ will be trying to do something against the PLAYOFF Spurs, @SBC, not some NBA dreck in the middle of the season.

Fogret JJ. The Killer Spurs gonna whip the Suns buns tonight.

DDS4
05-24-2005, 11:42 AM
I suspect that if the Suns lose game 2, JJ won't come back. Part of him wants to play to become part of a championship team. But if the Suns fall behind in the series, it's not worth sacrificing millions of dollars to look bad.

Even if he comes back, no way in hell he can guard Tony or Manu.

SWC Bonfire
05-24-2005, 12:03 PM
"Me, personally, I just want Joe to get healthy," Amaré Stoudemire said. "Before the game of basketball, he's a friend of mine.

"I don't want him to come back and re-injure something. You can't play around with the eyes."

Sounds like Amare has done a bit of growing up. A mature statement on his part. Unfortunate injury, but Suns are still in series without him, and will be around for the foreseeable (sp?) future.