PDA

View Full Version : WSJ: NYPD Adopts Eye-Scan Technology

Parker2112
11-16-2010, 04:29 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703326204575617031249438718.html

New York City police started using machines to scan the irises of prisoners for the first time Monday, part of a failsafe measure meant to ensure that suspects appearing before judges are not misidentified.

Is there a thread with new scanners in airports as well? Of course there is. Power wants control.

Parker2112
11-16-2010, 04:31 PM
part of a failsafe measure meant to ensure that suspects appearing before judges are not misidentified.

and isnt there always some justification to make you feel more secure while 3-4 simultaneously look at your junk through your clothing/run their hands down your pant leg?

Winehole23
11-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Biometrics. Are creepy in the hands of the state.

coyotes_geek
11-16-2010, 04:35 PM
How Minority Report-ish..........

lefty
11-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Eye scan?

We'll finally bust those damn Reptilians !

Blake
11-16-2010, 05:13 PM
and isnt there always some justification to make you feel more secure while 3-4 simultaneously look at your junk through your clothing/run their hands down your pant leg?

sounds creepy, but in the end, it doesn't sound much different than checking thumb prints.

and it's still better than a marked microchip implanted in the forehead and/or right hand.

Winehole23
11-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Is iridology forensically sound/proven? Honest question.

I ask because there are a bunch of things like fingerprinting, hair analysis and ballistics that have recently been shown to be far less reliable than we thought.

fyatuk
11-16-2010, 05:19 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...249438718.html

New York City police started using machines to scan the irises of prisoners for the first time Monday, part of a failsafe measure meant to ensure that suspects appearing before judges are not misidentified.

This was a problem? We're worse off than I thought....

Blake
11-16-2010, 05:23 PM
This was a problem? We're worse off than I thought....

I have nothing concrete in front of me, but top of my head, even here in SA I've heard problems of wrongful summons of David Q Crockett that lives on Alamo St getting mixed up with David Q Crockett living on Houston St.

MiamiHeat
11-16-2010, 06:14 PM
holy fuck...

the conspiracy wackos don't seem so wacky anymore.

talks of one world economies, biometrics, airport scanners

ElNono
11-16-2010, 06:32 PM
I got digitally fingerprinted and iris scanned at least a couple of times while entering the country before becoming a resident.

I also got digitally fingerprinted about 4 more times already while doing my residency papers, and they require I do it one more time when applying for citizenship now... $80 a pop on those.

It's a nice scam.

LnGrrrR
11-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Is iridology forensically sound/proven? Honest question.

I ask because there are a bunch of things like fingerprinting, hair analysis and ballistics that have recently been shown to be far less reliable than we thought.

AFAIK, eye scanner/retina scan tech has a relatively low number of false positives (compared to things like voice ID, handprint, or signature patterns).

If you want some info, a quick google pulled this up:

http://www.sans.org/reading_room/whitepapers/authentication/biometric-scanning-technologies-finger-facial-retinal-scanning_1177

It's a bit old though.

Also, as this website (http://terrorism.about.com/od/controversialtechnologies/i/Biometrics_2.htm) points out:

A false negative rate of even 1 percent could allow at least one bad guy to board virtually any full commercial jet flight, and four or more on a jumbo jet ….Conversely, an equally tiny 1 percent false positive rate could result in at least one innocent person on every flight being falsely matched to someone in a database of suspicious people.
Now, a false negative rate of 1% is most likely exceedingly high. The false positive rate should probably be somewhere in the five nine category (meaning that it works properly 99.999% of the time, in other words, only 1 in every hundred thousand people or so are misidentified).

LnGrrrR
11-16-2010, 07:38 PM
I got digitally fingerprinted and iris scanned at least a couple of times while entering the country before becoming a resident.

I also got digitally fingerprinted about 4 more times already while doing my residency papers, and they require I do it one more time when applying for citizenship now... $80 a pop on those.

It's a nice scam.

I just sent in the paperwork for my wife's... 680 more bucks or so. Woohoo!

At least this is the last round of paperwork, thank goodness. How much longer until you send in your N-400?

Trainwreck2100
11-16-2010, 07:45 PM

At least this is the last round of paperwork, thank goodness. How much longer until you send in your N-400?

Way to get player air force boy

LnGrrrR
11-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Way to get player air force boy

What can I say, I'm a patriot. I like making new Americans, either by law or by birth. :lol

Duff McCartney
11-16-2010, 09:28 PM
What can I say, I'm a patriot. I like making new Americans, either by law or by birth. :lol

Anchor babies.

ElNono
11-16-2010, 09:33 PM

Well, I thought I had to wait 5 years, and my wife alerted me to the fact that it was only 3... So, I've been basically eligible since March. :tu

Unfortunately, car broke down three weeks ago and I had to put down a good chunk to buy a car, so right now I don't have enough saved to part ways with $700 bucks. I'll probably file early next year, once I'm done with taxes and what not.

LnGrrrR
11-17-2010, 12:26 AM
Anchor babies.

Considering that it's my kid, and I'm a citizen... er... not so much? :lol

LnGrrrR
11-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Well, I thought I had to wait 5 years, and my wife alerted me to the fact that it was only 3... So, I've been basically eligible since March. :tu

Unfortunately, car broke down three weeks ago and I had to put down a good chunk to buy a car, so right now I don't have enough saved to part ways with $700 bucks. I'll probably file early next year, once I'm done with taxes and what not.

Ha! My wife has been counting down the days. Mainly because once she gets her citizenship, she can try to file for her parents. Mexico is kinda dangerous right now, after all.

ElNono
11-17-2010, 01:20 AM
Ha! My wife has been counting down the days. Mainly because once she gets her citizenship, she can try to file for her parents. Mexico is kinda dangerous right now, after all.

I don't like to slack on it, but money is kinda tight now and holidays are coming up. So it's gonna have to wait a little bit.
Good luck with the process for your wife.

LnGrrrR
11-17-2010, 02:26 PM
I don't like to slack on it, but money is kinda tight now and holidays are coming up. So it's gonna have to wait a little bit.
Good luck with the process for your wife.

Thanks. She's said it's going to be thrilling and saddening to give up renounce her Mexican citizenship... I can imagine. I can't picture giving up my US citizenship.