PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone actually like Joel Meyers and Stu Lantz?

Austin_Toros
11-16-2010, 10:25 PM
I don't like their bias and both are annoying. :bang

Does anyone like them?

Giuseppe
11-16-2010, 10:26 PM
I don't like Lantz, but, the other fellow is palatable.

jeebus
11-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Hah, ol Joel Meyers. I remember one spurs game where he dropped the GD on the air...then everything was quiet for like 5-7 seconds after the fact. lol

usdane
11-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Many Lakers fans myself would like Spero Dedes (currently doing lakers on radio) do play by play instead of Meyers.

I would also like Matt "Money" Smith as color commentator instead of Lantz.

But they are actually very critical of the Lakers when they are coasting.

HarlemHeat37
11-16-2010, 10:38 PM
They aren't biased at all IMO, they're actually 2 of the least biased team announcers..

They are really boring though..

Medvedenko
11-16-2010, 10:47 PM
They aren't biased at all IMO, they're actually 2 of the least biased team announcers..

That's the truth. I had to watch the Buck's game with their announcers...yeesh.

Venti Quattro
11-16-2010, 10:48 PM
They're really not biased but they're the one of the most boring broadcasters.

Giuseppe
11-16-2010, 10:50 PM

And they were damn straight arrows. Matzel, matzel.

Venti Quattro
11-16-2010, 10:51 PM

They're the guys who shouted MISS IT! from last year. crofl

DJ Mbenga
11-16-2010, 10:51 PM
biased? dont you have to listen to sean Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ all the time? joel and stu are far better than trash like the portland and boston guys, but they are bland and boring

Giuseppe
11-16-2010, 10:55 PM
biased? dont you have to listen to sean Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ all the time? joel and stu are far better than trash like the portland and boston guys, but they are bland and boring

Joel is unbiased, yes, but, Stu speaks a lot under his breath and between the lines that is suspect.

21_Blessings
11-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Never quite realized how mediocre Stu was until Chick moved on.

Giuseppe
11-16-2010, 11:05 PM

I finally sprang for the NBA package with Cox and a month later Hearn dies.

duncan228
11-16-2010, 11:07 PM
:worthy: Chick Hearn. RIP.

InRareForm
11-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Stu Lantz is corny as hell.

Giuseppe
:worthy: Chick Hearn. RIP.

228, lettin' her hair down to her shoulders, gettin' into her cotton nightgown, ready for beddy.

Would you like a father figure ta tuck ya in, child?

21_Blessings
I can't believe the Lakers had Sunderland follow the greatest of all time. Clear as day that he didn't fully understand the game. Awkward as shit.

Killakobe81
11-16-2010, 11:12 PM

amen. They are NOT biased and I dont think they are boring, they are more corny IMHO ... and i hate Stu's "kobe, that was noiiiiiiiice!!" ... annoying.

Giuseppe
11-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Stu Lantz is horny as hell.

:rolleyes

Giuseppe
11-16-2010, 11:13 PM
i hate Stu's "kobe, that was noiiiiiiiice!!" annoying.

amen.

Killakobe81
11-16-2010, 11:13 PM

amen. Chick carried him and Keth erickson before stu ...Keith was better IMHO ...

Giuseppe
11-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Erickson came here and was untenable.

Venti Quattro
11-16-2010, 11:15 PM
I can't believe the Lakers had Sunderland follow the greatest of all time. Clear as day that he didn't fully understand the game. Awkward as shit.

All he does is scream and shout on the mic. Fucking annoying

Killakobe81
11-16-2010, 11:16 PM
Erickson came here and was untenable.

Really? Maybe chick carried him too like kobe does big men.

j.dizzle
11-16-2010, 11:18 PM
They might be boring but atleast they call out the team when they play half assed & stupid. They also give props to the other teams players. If you listen to Portlands, Miami's, Bostons, etc then you'll understand why I dont really mind Joel & Stu. If Lakers had Spero Dedes calling their games it would be amazing but I'm fine with what we got compared to some other teams ridiculous announcers.

Giuseppe
11-16-2010, 11:19 PM
They might be boring but atleast they call out the team when they play half assed & stupid. They also give props to the other teams players. If you listen to the Portlands, Miami's, Bostons, etc then you'll understand why I dont really mind Joel & Stu. If Lakers has Spero Dedes calling their games it would be amazing but I'm fine with what we got compared to some other teams ridiculous announcers.

Luva calls the Miami guys "used car salesmen.":lmao

21_Blessings
11-16-2010, 11:19 PM
All he does is scream and shout on the mic. Fucking annoying

Joel knows his basketball, that's sure. But thing I like about Joel is that he's unforgettable. The monotone is easily tuned out so you can focus on the basketball that's actually being played.

DeadlyDynasty
11-16-2010, 11:22 PM
They're nothing special, but they're good enough for me not to notice them and enjoy the game.

Trainwreck2100
11-17-2010, 01:12 AM
Hated Joel Myers since he called the Spurs games

Jelloisjigglin
11-17-2010, 01:17 AM
Stu Lantz is corny as hell.

This comment will not get it done.

SomeCallMeTim
11-17-2010, 03:22 AM
As many have pointed out, they're definitely not homers. Kinda fanboyish (which is OK IMO) but far from homers.

Joel is only so-so. Does a passable job. No more, no less.

I've always liked Stu. Yeah, he can be corny. I appreciate his insight into the game and consistently brings good analysis from a player/coach/strategy standpoint. He does seem to be slipping a bit these past few years as he's taking a more dominant role in the broadcast and airing his silly catchphrases a bit more... but I can forgive most of that.

I'd put them up there with most of the top local teams. There are truly some horrible local broadcast teams out there though so the competition ain't exactly strong.

Def Rowe
11-17-2010, 03:33 AM
I would like to know who's announcing crew is the best. I don't think the tandem of Joel and Stu are that great, but I don't think they're that bad either compared to most of the leagues play by play guys.

Ashy Larry
11-17-2010, 04:44 AM
Spero definitely needs to be put on the air ..... then when the playoffs start, put him on the radio during the non-televised games

Ashy Larry
11-17-2010, 04:45 AM
This comment will not get it done.

that was Noiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

The Gemini Method
11-17-2010, 11:40 AM
The one thing I don't like about Joel Myers is the penchant for him saying things like, when the Lakers are up by 10 for the first time in a game and the opposing team scores a basket and Myers goes, "The lead is back down to 8..." like the other team just came back from a 39 pt deficit. What do you mean 'back down' to 8, Joel?

balli
11-17-2010, 01:41 PM
I like them both a lot. They're informative and even-handed. A bit conceited and blase maybe, but not homerish or boring. Everything about The Lakers organization is refined and tasteful. Including the telecasts.

The Gemini Method
11-17-2010, 02:09 PM
I like them both a lot. They're informative and even-handed. A bit conceited and blase maybe, but not homerish or boring. Everything about The Lakers organization is refined and tasteful. Including the telecasts.

The organization is indeed class...some of the fanbase, on the other hand, are definitely not.

21_Blessings
11-17-2010, 02:13 PM
...some of the fanbase, on the other hand, are definitely not.

You don't have to tell a Jazz fan that.

HarlemHeat37
11-17-2010, 02:30 PM
If I had to comment on each of them, from what I've seen..

Unbiased, boring: Atlanta, Charlotte, Detroit, Lakers, Memphis(might be biased), Philly, Sacramento(might be biased), Toronto..

Pretty good, fairly unbiased: Indiana, Minnesota, Chicago, Orlando, Phoenix, Washington..

Biased/Boring: Dallas, Denver, New Orleans..

Biased/Entertaining: Boston, Milwaukee..

Annoying: Cleveland, Miami..

The best: Golden State, Clippers, New Jersey, New York..

The worst: Houston, Oklahoma City, Portland..

Picking a worst from that last group would be really tough IMO..

balli
11-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Unbiased, boring: Atlanta,
I actually like the ATL booth quite a bit. 'Nique is cool, but it was awesome when Steve Smith did color for their games. He's good as an analyst with Kamla on NBATV, but I think TNT/NBATV would be wise to put him courtside for some games. He'd be better than Reggie anyways.

TheNextGen
11-17-2010, 02:53 PM
The radio guy in LA was pretty good imo.

HarlemHeat37
11-17-2010, 08:08 PM
I actually like the ATL booth quite a bit. 'Nique is cool, but it was awesome when Steve Smith did color for their games. He's good as an analyst with Kamla on NBATV, but I think TNT/NBATV would be wise to put him courtside for some games. He'd be better than Reggie anyways.

I agree about Steve Smith, but I find Wilkins to be boring, not a big fan of his..