PDA

View Full Version : Splitter and the refs

duncan228
11-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Splitter’s challenge: Learning NBA refs (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/16/splitter%e2%80%99s-challenge-learning-nba-refs/)
by Mike Monroe

...Accustomed to officiating that allows more rugged interior play in Europe, Splitter is trying to find a balance between physicality and finesse.

“In the NBA, there’s more calls than in Euroleague,” he said. “Over there, you can bang a little more with the body, and it’s not a foul.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/16/splitter%e2%80%99s-challenge-learning-nba-refs/

TJastal
11-17-2010, 12:42 AM
So far from what I've seen (which is limited I admit) he is getting the kind of respect from the officials that Matt Bonner could only dream about. He's challenging shots very aggressively from a lot of different angles and has a way of doing it that makes it look 'clean', therefore the refs let it slide. He has also gotten some pretty iffy calls on charges that alot of guys in the league a number of years would never get.

All in all, (unless this is all a fluke) I don't think he'll have to worry about foul problems or getting screwed over like Bonner does on a nightly basis.

ElNono
11-17-2010, 12:46 AM
^^^

He knows how to take a charge, that's why. When was the last time you've seen Matty stand his ground and try to take a charge, as opposed to walk backwards with his hands up normally giving up an and1 in the process?

Obstructed_View
11-17-2010, 12:51 AM
He's drawing good charges, but he can't buy a call otherwise.

crc21209
11-17-2010, 12:56 AM
He'll get the hang of it as the season goes on...

Halberto
11-17-2010, 01:30 AM
Makes you wonder why European players are considered soft. Maybe because they lack attitude?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-17-2010, 05:11 AM
Poor guy is getting terrible rookie calls from the refs. Bullshit, IMHO. I hate how rookies are called for things vets aren't. Bullshit.

DrSteffo
11-17-2010, 05:22 AM
I guess the biggest challenge for Splitter is to avoid being called for moving screens. I hate the rookie calls too but I guess it's something we have to live with.

Prodigal
11-17-2010, 05:46 AM
There's been different standards of calls (rookie, vet, and superstar) in the NBA for years and it's not going to change.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-17-2010, 07:10 AM
There's been different standards of calls (rookie, vet, and superstar) in the NBA for years and it's not going to change.

Who said it would? However, it should. It is a ridiculous and unfair tradition that goes against the very core of the rules of sportsmanship. Traditions that are descriminative should be torn down.

Seventyniner
11-17-2010, 08:13 AM
In the NHL European players were considered "soft" for years. Then the NHL instructed its in game announcers to stop calling European players "soft Euros". Strange that now European players are not considered soft in the NHL.

European players are considered soft in the NBA, because the NBA has not yet told the announcers to stop being biased and xenophobic against them.

+1

Splitter is as much a "Euro" as Manu; just an easy, inaccurate label for people who are either ignorant or just don't like to think.

Is Iverson considered a "Euro" now? Or is Turkey part of Asia?

dbestpro
11-17-2010, 08:41 AM
During the defensive era of the bad boys (Pistons) and the Spurs the NBA still played rugged defense, which many Euros were not use to. Now that we are in the era of the Prima Donna the tide has changed. The NBA is now marshmellow soft while Europe is now horsehide tough.

cheguevara
11-17-2010, 09:35 AM
So far from what I've seen (which is limited I admit) he is getting the kind of respect from the officials that Matt Bonner could only dream about. He's challenging shots very aggressively from a lot of different angles and has a way of doing it that makes it look 'clean', therefore the refs let it slide. He has also gotten some pretty iffy calls on charges that alot of guys in the league a number of years would never get.

All in all, (unless this is all a fluke) I don't think he'll have to worry about foul problems or getting screwed over like Bonner does on a nightly basis.

agree. He is smart at taking a charge and raises his hands for the refs to see. He is light years ahead of Bonner on the defensive end.