PDA

View Full Version : Spurs add Danny Green

Penya
11-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Mike Monroe
Spurs adding 6-6 swing man Danny Green, ex-Cavs and Tarheel, to get up to 13-player minimum.

ace3g
11-17-2010, 11:50 AM
M_Monroe_in_SA Mike Monroe
Spurs adding 6-6 swing man Danny Green, ex-Cavs and Tarheel, to get up to 13-player minimum.

ace3g
11-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Danny Ferry does have some inside info on this guy, so hopefully it works out

urunobili
11-17-2010, 11:59 AM
was he one of the national champs?

ajballer4
11-17-2010, 12:02 PM
I think that was the best available option but I'm not sold on him

Mel_13
11-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Green was a popular choice around here for the 37th pick in 2009 before Blair fell.

xmas1997
11-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Green was a potential lock down defender.

xmas1997
11-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Good lock down defender prospect.

Rummpd
11-17-2010, 12:12 PM
He could walk and chew gum and bring more at this stage of his career than the forgetable Bobby Simmons and based on the below, despite his lack of sticking around on NBA squads could be a find:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/danny-green-504/

Defensively, Green is still excellent, one of the best perimeter defenders the NCAA has to offer, showing superb fundamentals and instincts, making great use of his size and length to consistently body up on the perimeter. Green uses his length incredibly well to alter shots, with many of his 1.6 blocks coming in isolation situations on the perimeter, which isn’t all too common at any level of basketball. Laterally, Green doesn’t particularly stand out, but his quickness is more than adequate when coupled with everything else he brings to the table, particularly his 6-10 wingspan. The drop in his rebounding rate this season can likely be explained by the fact that he’s no longer playing power forward for UNC, as he’s become the starting small forward.

Currently projected as a mid-second round pick, it’d be surprising to see Green go undrafted given the improvements he’s made over his four years at UNC, most notably this season. Even though he’s not a prototypical NBA athlete, his ability to defend and make shots could still look very attractive. Because of his outstanding basketball IQ and the experience he’s received at UNC, he may even begin to creep into first round discussions as the draft draws nearer, as winning teams drafting near the end of the first may be attracted to a player who’s already excelled as a two-way role player for a top college team in a top college conference, which should ease his transition to the league.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/danny-green-504/#ixzz15YqeaffC
http://www.draftexpress.com

Also, this is interesting:
He is the only player in ACC history with 1,000 points, 500 rebounds, 250 assists, 150 three-pointers, 150 blocks and 150 steals.[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Green_(basketball)

Libri
11-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Green was a potential lock down defender.

Better than Sam Young?

ace3g
11-17-2010, 12:14 PM
I wished he would have played a few more games for the Cavs last season, hard to tell what he does well and what he doesn't.

GSH
11-17-2010, 12:20 PM
He either lost his confidence, or lost interest. Maybe being cut will wake him up a little. If he comes in serious and hungry, he could be worth having. But based on his pre-season this year I'm really surprised they signed him. I guess Ferry sees potential, but someone needs to light a fire under his ass.

He's a solid defender, and he has an in-between game - both of which would be welcome here. I hope he can live up to his potential.

Edit: For the record, I'm betting on a three-and-out.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Not a bad shout. It's interesting they got a younger player instead of a vet. Hope he plays well enough to earn a few minutes.

Mel_13
11-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Not a bad shout. It's interesting they got a younger player instead of a vet. Hope he plays well enough to earn a few minutes.

It appears that the Spurs are content, for now, with Manu playing backup SF and Neal and Hill getting additional minutes at the 2.

SenorSpur
11-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Solid pickup. Low-risk and Green has demonstrated a penchant for defense, which the Spurs badly need. I'm sure Ferry had some positive input here.

I still hold out hope that somehow Donte Greene or Sam Young could be had somewhere down the line this year, but for now, I like this signing.

Thank God it wasn't Findog.

Bruno
11-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Good signing given the pool of available free agents.

It's also a proof that defense is still one of Spurs priority. Good news.

Mel_13
11-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Thank God it wasn't Findog.

:lol

Signing Finley would have led to a meltdown greater than anything since the Scola trade.

ceperez
11-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Fingers crossed that he's Bowen's replacement.

timvp
11-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Not a bad signing, although I haven't been very impressed with Green since he came out of college. He has looked timid and not very athletic against NBA players. He also struggles to get off his perimeter jumpers when a defender closes hard.

Green's defense has been his best attribute but he's pretty damn raw on both ends for a 23-year-old whose fundamentals were supposedly his strength coming out of North Carolina.

The odd part of this signing is that while he'd be better able to help right now than Alonzo Gee, Green doesn't have that much of an upside. His long-term potential is relatively low and it's unlikely he can help in the short-term. Sending him to the Toros could get him ready for next season but if the Spurs were going after a prospect for the Toros, there are more interesting prospects out there.

I guess we have to hope that Danny Ferry has a good read on this kid.

JWest596
11-17-2010, 12:48 PM
If he becomes a "lock down defender" quickly and learns the Spurs defensive schemes; it's a good pick. We need to get 'lock down" defensive minded soon for any long term success in the playoffs this year. Maybe Pop can get him motivated.

How are his 3 pt. skills and free throw percentages? Or is he just a Toros development project as timvp states.

DBMethos
11-17-2010, 12:50 PM
In Ferry we trust.

SenorSpur
11-17-2010, 12:51 PM

Signing Finley would have led to a meltdown greater than anything since the Scola trade.

Tell me about it.

I'd rather welcome back Bobby Simmons before Findog. :lol

DesignatedT
11-17-2010, 12:53 PM
I like this pickup.

SenorSpur
11-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Not a bad signing, although I haven't been very impressed with Green since he came out of college. He has looked timid and not very athletic against NBA players. He also struggles to get off his perimeter jumpers when a defender closes hard.

Green's defense has been his best attribute but he's pretty damn raw on both ends for a 23-year-old whose fundamentals were supposedly his strength coming out of North Carolina.

Didn't know he was 23. At that age, it's somewhat disappointing that he's not further along in his development. That means he probably doesn't have a lot of upside.

stnick2261
11-17-2010, 12:55 PM
quote from the first page of his ThinkTank draft page:

my buddy texted me about him again:

"His talents would be wasted in any other organization"

GSH
11-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Not a bad signing, although I haven't been very impressed with Green since he came out of college. He has looked timid and not very athletic against NBA players.

Timid is exactly the word. And when his minutes started getting trimmed in pre-season, he just looked beaten. Some young guys will come out and try to do too much, but at least it shows that they are fighting for a roster spot. Green just sort of faded out.

Maybe what he needs is confidence. I just don't know who is going to take the time to hold his hand here. He seems like a nice kid, and I'd love to see him playing with the snap he had in college.

Here's an interview from the preseason. He's well spoken, but he just comes across as meek. http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2010/09/danny_green_on_his_second_year.html

nbaman99
11-17-2010, 01:02 PM
I remember what people here said when Spurs sign Neal and what they are saying about Neal now. I thought the Spurs are famous for finding players that fit there system and winning rings with them. So, thank god Spurs FO not listening to some fans on this site.

Blackjack
11-17-2010, 01:07 PM

And the sick part of me was hoping we'd see it. :hat

ace3g
11-17-2010, 01:13 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald
Green gets high marks from Danny Ferry and ex Cavs coach Mike Brown. Pop: "We'll get him in the fold for a while and see what we think."

Blackjack
11-17-2010, 01:15 PM
I agree with those that think it's a good-to-decent signing.

Theoretically, he's someone that could fit with his being more of a spot-up shooter and transition scorer offensively while being pretty capable defensively -- I've got to believe the type of paint presence the Spurs have with the Big 3, whether by post-play or slashing, is more advantageous than a ring-around-the-LeBron.

But what I like most?

The Spurs have clearly moved on, passed and beyond trying to bleed the turnip dry with old vets and low-risk/minimal-mistake players. That's definitely great to see. :tu

MaNu4Tres
11-17-2010, 01:16 PM
He won't play quality minutes as long as Jefferson, Manu, hill, Neal are healthy.

Nice to have young player with room to improve to fill the mop up duty role :tu

11-17-2010, 01:18 PM
solid pick up. i think green was everyone's consensus choice with the second round pick, including mine as well. he'll bring some defense and maybe ferry knows something we don't.

Shifty
11-17-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't know what to make of this:

From DraftExpress.com profile

Best Case: Francisco Garcia
Worst Case: Keith Bogans

Rummpd
11-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Would it not be sweet if at some time in the not too distant future LeBron goes to score and is stopped by the unheralded Danny Green, ala the new Bowen lite, in a game that means something? Pop is showing a propensity for going young so nothing is impossible!

yavozerb
11-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Well if ever the team gets bored during timeouts or at half Green can do a little of this to help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqRmNkygo7k

ChumpDumper
11-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Worth a look. Hopefully he can stay on the floor almost as long as Anderson.

yavozerb
11-17-2010, 01:51 PM
8-10 minutes, that is all he is needed....

Spursmania
11-17-2010, 02:04 PM
I think he's a solid pick for what is available. So glad Pop didn't bring in an old crusty vest who can't move anymore.

This young man might be worth something. I'm sure Pop got the lowdown from Brown and Ferry and Brown was forthright about this young man's abilities.

Better than Fin! Although the meltdown would have been epic.:lol

Spursmania
11-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Well if ever the team gets bored during timeouts or at half Green can do a little of this to help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqRmNkygo7k

He can't be too timid given his past college career and antics including his dance moves above.

He's just been humbled in the NBA, and the Spurs team might be exactly what he needs.

lefty
11-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Danny Green the only player in ACC history with at least 1,000 pts, 500 rebs, 250 asst, 150 3-pointers, 150 blocks and 150 steals.

8FOR!3
11-17-2010, 02:14 PM

Bogans doesn't suck. He's undersized for what we were asking him to do. Danny Green is a legit 6'6 who has more experience at the SF position than Bogans did. There's a couple of guys I'd rather try, but if Ferry really sees something in him then why not give it a try?

timtonymanu
11-17-2010, 02:16 PM
I said in another thread that Spurs should go after Green and they did.

Hopefully he doesn't play scared.

Obstructed_View
11-17-2010, 02:18 PM
He'll likely get a shot to earn some minutes. All he has to do is work hard and pay attention.

ace3g
11-17-2010, 02:21 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_sign_danny_green_101117.html

Ditty
11-17-2010, 02:31 PM
I didn't even know green was a free agent. I though he was still with cleveland. Good pick up kid can play D, he is defintley a keeper. Wanted the spurs to get him orginally last year witht he 37th pick also,but got Blair, and was hoping he would drop to the next pick where we got mclinton, but cleveland took him before we could pick him.

I though Green was bigger though around 6'8..o well..hoepfully the spurs may add another young guy 3 to the lineup maybe a stanley robinson or desean butler more for projects, and send them to the d league or see how they pan out playing in the nba.

Mr. Body
11-17-2010, 02:38 PM
The dirty secret is, lately UNC players haven't generally made great pros.

Solid D
11-17-2010, 02:49 PM
I like the defensive aspect of this signing. He's an unknown quantity at the pro level.

Bring your attention and work ethic, Danny, and maybe you'll stick.

ace3g
11-17-2010, 03:08 PM
if he can play some D and hit the 3 ball he should be ok

ceperez
11-17-2010, 03:22 PM
if he can play some D and hit the 3 ball he should be ok

Agree... nothing more expected from him. Play good perimeter D and hit the open 3.

8FOR!3
11-17-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm still wondering what he has that Stanley Robinson and DeSean Butler don't.

Darkwaters
11-17-2010, 03:24 PM

A brain for basketball and his health, respectively.

SenorSpur
11-17-2010, 03:30 PM
I admit that I've not seen Green play. Does anybody think this kid is ready for some prime time, rotation minutes, while Anderson is out? Or would it make sense to send him to Austin for a long, developmental stint?

sa_butta
11-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Last ones worth mentioning are probably Antwain Jamison and Vince Carter.

ace3g
11-17-2010, 03:42 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/multimedia/101117_pop.html

I think you can see him shooting FTs behind Pop along with TP and Dice

Kool Bob Love
11-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Weren't the SPURS going to draft him but he decide to go back to UNC for his senior year?

Roger Freemason Jr.
11-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Danny Ferry knows the Spurs system quite well, he knows what will integrate, and he knows what a good addition looks like. A player's past is insignificant as soon as he signs with the Spurs, because the Spurs system is unlike any other system in the NBA, and suddenly a player finds himself becoming an all-star within it. It's happened plenty of times. We'll see Green become Bowen, Splitter become Duncan, Hill become Parker, and Anderson become Ginobili.

Mr. Body
11-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Last ones worth mentioning are probably Antwain Jamison and Vince Carter.

Ty Lawson comes to mind, and Hansbrough might be decent, but otherwise, from Sean May to Marvin Williams to Brendan Wright, the program has not been turning out players rising to their professional ambitions.

Obstructed_View
11-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Sean May had plenty of NBA talent, but injuries and weight problems killed his career.

dbestpro
11-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Another guy that we can say he would absolutely great if he were only 3 inches taller.

Unless, he comes out with some lockdown gusto this guy will not be here long. Once Anderson comes back our need for another 6-6 player goes down.

coyotes_geek
11-17-2010, 04:34 PM

I hate these stupid comparisons draft sites make. The worst case for Danny Green is something far, far lower than being a guy like Bogans who has been able to maintain an NBA career for 8 seasons and counting.

angelbelow
11-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Very very skeptical about this. He was a nice potential and everyone was high on the guy but he couldn't make a Lebron-less Cavs team? From the games ive seen from him (small sample size) he cant defend, he cant shoot, and he looks less confident than George Hill from his rookie season.

Obstructed_View
11-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Another guy that we can say he would absolutely great if he were only 3 inches taller.

Unless, he comes out with some lockdown gusto this guy will not be here long. Once Anderson comes back our need for another 6-6 player goes down.

If he can play defense like Anderson does there should be plenty of room for both of them.

ceperez
11-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Saw some youtube videos of Green.

Seems to be comfortable taking a free throw.

His shot isn't perfect, more like Bonner in that the release is a bit low.

Seems to take a lot of 3's, particularly the corner 3.

Don't really have high expectations with this player.

But maybe Ferry has some inside info on this player.

SenorSpur
11-17-2010, 05:03 PM
If he can play defense like Anderson does there should be plenty of room for both of them.

Exactly...and why wouldn't there be.

There is already a hole at backup SF, so unless the Spurs come up with a better option, why not keep him around?

Agloco
11-17-2010, 05:20 PM
was he one of the national champs?

Indeed.

AussieFanKurt
11-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Hope he's given a chance to prove himself

crc21209
11-17-2010, 05:43 PM
I remember liking him when he was at North Carolina....good defensive player who picked his spots on offense. I'll take em...let's see what he's got, hell its better than signing some dinosaur...

ChuckD
11-17-2010, 07:36 PM
I think that was the best available option but I'm not sold on him

How sold do you need to be for the 12th or 13th spot on the roster?

HarlemHeat37
11-17-2010, 07:40 PM
I looked up some games from him last year..

His offense was terrible, especially as a spot-up shooter, it's obvious that his potential is entirely on the defensive end, as everybody has stated..

He didn't get many chances to play last year, but he struggled defending 1 on 1 vs. the bigger names he went up against..his team defense looked good in the limited time he played though, he makes good rotations, and the Cavs system probably isn't that much different than the Spurs..

I like the signing, although I don't expect him to play much..

ChuckD
11-17-2010, 07:51 PM

Not really a secret. UNC used to get the pick of the best players, but those guys are now "one and done", and UNC doesn't recruit for that.

In days gone by, they would get 2 or 3 of the top 10 prospects. Now it's more like 2 or 3 of the top 50 prospects.

SenorSpur
11-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Perhaps he needs to spend some time under the personal tutelage of "the Rash"

ObiwanGinobili
11-17-2010, 08:20 PM
I haven't seen enough minutes out of him to be all in love with the signing, but I like what I have seen, and he's prob the best of whats available.

and I trust ferry.

spursfan1000
11-17-2010, 08:31 PM
We shouldn't expect much from this guy. He will only receive time in blowouts, if that.

SenorSpur
11-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Which is why I posed the question earlier of whether or not Green could benefit from some D-League seasoning?

benefactor
11-17-2010, 09:36 PM
I wanted Green back in 2009. Good to see him get a shot in a Spurs uni.

spurs1990
11-18-2010, 12:18 AM
Haven't had a Carolina guy on the roster since trading JR Reid for Charles Smith in 1996.

hsxvvd
11-18-2010, 01:30 AM

Sanity and Good health, respectively.

duncan228
11-18-2010, 01:43 AM
Mike Monroe
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/18/duncan-bounces-back-big/

...“Coach Brown coached (in San Antonio), and I basically had him all year last year, and the system here is not much different, so I have a pretty good idea what they do here,” Green said.

...“Hopefully, I can add whatever they’re looking for, whether it’s defense or knocking down shots,” Green said. “It’s not like they’re not already a good team.”

...“He’s a talented young man who has impressed us with his combination of pretty good defensive skills and awareness and a pretty good shot,” Popovich said.

“He’s a young guy who, in time, is going to be a good player. Sometimes it takes somebody two, three, four years before they find the right situation.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/18/duncan-bounces-back-big/

TD 21
11-18-2010, 01:44 AM

The odd part of this signing is that while he'd be better able to help right now than Alonzo Gee, Green doesn't have that much of an upside. His long-term potential is relatively low and it's unlikely he can help in the short-term. Sending him to the Toros could get him ready for next season but if the Spurs were going after a prospect for the Toros, there are more interesting prospects out there.

Not that's he's played well, but what did you expect to glean from 20 games and 115 minutes (and you can bet virtually all of them came in garbage time)? The reality is, he hasn't really had a chance yet. I'm not saying he deserved one, especially on an elite team, but still. I wouldn't draw any conclusions based off of a terrible preseason.

Theoretically, Green is a better fit than Gee. Gee is a more intriguing talent with probably a higher upside, but ultimately, they're both going to have to make the league as role players if they're to stick and I think Green has a better chance of filling a role than Gee. Especially on this team. They need 3 and D out of the three spot. Those are supposed to be his strengths.

ceperez
11-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Danny Green's performance against his former team the Cavs showed that he's unafraid to attempt a 3 point shot.

He was 2-4 from the 3 point range. Would have been very impressive he went 4-4, which didn't happen.

Anyone comment on his defensive prowess if any?

ChuckD
11-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Danny Green's performance against his former team the Cavs showed that he's unafraid to attempt a 3 point shot.

He was 2-4 from the 3 point range. Would have been very impressive he went 4-4, which didn't happen.

Anyone comment on his defensive prowess if any?

He was a step slow on rotations. He won't stick if that continues.

ceperez
11-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Just for the record:

Made 24 ft, 0:57 in 1st Qtr <- Assist by Tiago. What's a sub like this playing in the 1st quarter?
4th Qtr 7:26 Anderson Varejao offensive foul (Daniel Green draws the foul)
Made 25 ft, 5:33 in 4th Qtr <- Top of the key
Miss 24 ft, 4:50 in 4th Qtr <- From the corner
Miss 25ft, 4:07 4th Qtr <- Same shot as 1st quarter
1:20 92-113 Leon Powe blocks Daniel Green's 2-foot two point shot

Pretty decent performance overall.

ChuckD
11-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Just for the record:

Made 24 ft, 0:57 in 1st Qtr <- Assist by Tiago. What's a sub like this playing in the 1st quarter?

He was a step slow on rotations. He won't stick if that continues.

He's not really know for being a shooter, so that 2-4 is probably like someone else going 4-4. His rotations are a step slow, the difference between a contested jumper and an uncontested jumper. Unless that improves, he probably won't be around long.

Mel_13
11-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Just for the record:

He looked a bit lost at times. Not Marcus Haislip there's no chance he's an NBA player lost, mind you, but the sort of lost you may be willing to attribute to the circumstances. Unfortunately for Green, I'm sure the Spurs have continued their search for a reserve SF, so he'll have to show more in the very near future in order to hang on.

xmas1997
11-21-2010, 10:32 AM
He'll stick if he shows that defense that Danny Ferry thinks he has.

Ditty
11-21-2010, 10:40 AM
I like this kid showed a nice shot, and a pretty good defense stance, and moved his feet pretty well. He seems like a guy that can get in your face on the defense end, once he gets comfortable with the defense . I'm pretty sure his old team knew his weaknesses on defense, that's why they called those 2 off screen shot plays for Gibson which all 2 shots were contested, but went in.

Hope he stays, and plays a bit more every night.

SenorSpur
11-21-2010, 11:25 AM
I saw Pop in Green's ear, during the waning stages of the 4th quarter. Since that conversation was occuring while the Cavs were at the FT line, I would imagine it was because Green missed a defensive rotation. He looked good on his first 2 3-pt attempts, and badly missed his last. I'm glad he got a little bit of burn. I'm curious to see where he goes from here.

xmas1997
11-21-2010, 11:32 AM
I have a feeling he's going to turn into a gem on defense.

ChuckD
11-21-2010, 11:40 AM
I saw Pop in Green's ear, during the waning stages of the 4th quarter. Since that conversation was occuring while the Cavs were at the FT line, I would imagine it was because Green missed a defensive rotation. He looked good on his first 2 3-pt attempts, and badly missed his last. I'm glad he got a little bit of burn. I'm curious to see where he goes from here.

Yeah, Sean was even saying on the telecast that Pop doesn't care if it's garbage time. He wants to see offensive plays run, and defense played in the team scheme. Since garbage time is all Green will likely see, he'd better start flying on those rotations. This will be his only chance to show his quality.

ChuckD
11-21-2010, 11:45 AM
I have a feeling he's going to turn into a gem on defense.

He has the tools, but that's only part of the equation. Having a huge wingspan and lateral quickness means nothing if you don't have the burning desire. It remains to be seen if he will sell out and go flat out to play defense. Pop won't take anything less from someone trying to make the league.

xmas1997
11-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Spurs should hire Bowen to coach and mentor this dude.

ChuckD
11-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Guy was considered a great defender at NC and a great 3pt shooter as well. It may take him a while to learn the system, UNC does run a pro style D similar to the Spurs. The guy should be a very solid wing defender who can hit the thee. He is also able to put the ball on the floor more so than people give him credit for.

I don't think Pop cares about any of that. He as good as said he's bringing him in for a quick look. If he doesn't like what he sees, the young man will be packing. Don't get too attached. He's not going to get too many chances to show his stuff, so, he'd better do well next time out.

Spurs Brazil
11-21-2010, 12:38 PM

Green light: After making his first two shots of Saturday’s game against his former teammates — a pair of 3-pointers — recently signed backup swingman Danny Green missed his next two, including an airball from beyond the 3-point arc.

At the next stoppage of play, Popovich collared his newest player and told him his airball had been a great look at the basket and to keep shooting, without hesitation.

“He’s got to understand, if you care at all, it’s not going in,” Popovich said. “You’ve got to just let it fly and not worry about the consequences.”

Green appreciated the advice.

“That helps a lot,” he said. “It makes it a lot easier to take the next one. Either way, I know shooters have to shoot, but that definitely helps my confidence more. He still trusts me and is still confident I’m going to knock down shots.

“When you’ve got your coach and your teammates behind you, it makes everything a lot easier.”

There is a player whose fearless attitude is the standard by which Popovich measures all shooters.

“Robert Horry never saw a shot or a burger he didn’t like,” Popovich said.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/20/efficient-use-of-duncan-a-plus-for-pop/

Darkwaters
11-21-2010, 12:47 PM

SA210
11-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Green light: After making his first two shots of Saturday’s game against his former teammates — a pair of 3-pointers — recently signed backup swingman Danny Green missed his next two, including an airball from beyond the 3-point arc.

At the next stoppage of play, Popovich collared his newest player and told him his airball had been a great look at the basket and to keep shooting, without hesitation.

“He’s got to understand, if you care at all, it’s not going in,” Popovich said. “You’ve got to just let it fly and not worry about the consequences.”

Green appreciated the advice.

“That helps a lot,” he said. “It makes it a lot easier to take the next one. Either way, I know shooters have to shoot, but that definitely helps my confidence more. He still trusts me and is still confident I’m going to knock down shots.

“When you’ve got your coach and your teammates behind you, it makes everything a lot easier.”

There is a player whose fearless attitude is the standard by which Popovich measures all shooters.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/20/efficient-use-of-duncan-a-plus-for-pop/

duncan228
11-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Cavaliers Notebook (http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/109572519.html)
Jason Lloyd
Ohio.com

Second chance

Danny Green can thank Danny Ferry for saving his NBA career. Had it not been for Ferry's recommendation, Green would probably be in the NBA Development League today and not at the end of the Spurs' bench.

After he was released by the Cavs near the end of training camp, Green had a hard time gaining interest from any other team. The Bulls wanted him to work out, but that never materialized. The Spurs are the only other team that called — thanks to Ferry, who rejoined the organization after walking away as general manager of the Cavs over the summer.

''Danny's positive comments about him helped lean us in that direction,'' Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

The Spurs called Green a few days ago at his home in New York and asked whether he could catch a flight that departed in two hours. Green, who lives 45 minutes from the airport, threw some clothes in the bag and checked in for the flight one minute after the cutoff, but the airlines let him board anyhow.

He missed his connection in Dallas, though, and spent the night there before working out for the team the next day. He was signed on Tuesday.

''I'm just looking for an opportunity,'' Green said. ''Trying to stay positive, keep pushing and make something happen.''

The system has been easy to pick up, since it's similar to what he did last season with the Cavs. Former Cavs coach Mike Brown is a disciple of Popovich.

''He showed kind of an all-around game,'' Popovich said of Green's workout. ''He shot it well enough and showed enough aggressiveness. He showed that he's willing to try to play defense. I thought in an all-around sense, he did a good job.''

http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/109572519.html

Darkwaters
11-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Good article. Fun story. I hope he figures it out and sticks. It's a nice come from behind story.

Agloco
11-21-2010, 02:10 PM

:hat

We all know who that is.....

And on the Defensive end? Well, Spur fans know who that is as well.

Darkwaters
11-21-2010, 02:24 PM
:hat

We all know who that is.....

And on the Defensive end? Well, Spur fans know who that is as well.

Nick Van Exel?

BackHome
11-21-2010, 02:30 PM
You can tell he has better court sense then Gee you can say he kinda reminds me of a bigger Temple. As far as the impact he will make that remains to be seen .......but as we all say players don't reach their full potential until their second year with the team.

jjktkk
11-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Sanity and Good health, respectively.

A jump shot.

DieHardSpursFan1537
11-21-2010, 09:42 PM
I really don't know squat about him, so I'll have to see how things turn out with him.

xmas1997
11-21-2010, 09:54 PM
It seems reasonable to assume that if the Spurs were only going to take a temporary flier on a guy short term then they would most likely bring in a vet.
But since they are going on recommendations of Ferry, then this guy may actually be here for the whole year, especially since they were once interested in drafting him as well as he fits most of the criteria of who they have been looking for.
With that in mind, since he seems to be showing promise, why don't they just go ahead and get Bruce to coach and mentor him?
I mean, they have a coach who coaches strictly shooting, so why not a coach who coaches strictly defense, like Bruce Bowen?

The Truth #6
11-21-2010, 10:02 PM
I would think Pop coaches defense pretty well. But I agree that Bowen could probably share some tricks. However I'm not sure he's cut out to be a coach. I think he likes being on camera and I'm not sure being lost in the shadows interests him at this stage.

ChuckD
11-21-2010, 11:11 PM
It seems reasonable to assume that if the Spurs were only going to take a temporary flier on a guy short term then they would most likely bring in a vet.
But since they are going on recommendations of Ferry, then this guy may actually be here for the whole year, especially since they were once interested in drafting him as well as he fits most of the criteria of who they have been looking for.
With that in mind, since he seems to be showing promise, why don't they just go ahead and get Bruce to coach and mentor him?
I mean, they have a coach who coaches strictly shooting, so why not a coach who coaches strictly defense, like Bruce Bowen?

They've been bringing in and cutting young players for the better part of a year. I don't think it's a solid assumption that he's here for the duration.

mexpurs21
11-21-2010, 11:15 PM

+ J. Vaughn is the point guard coach :toast

SenorSpur
11-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Yeah, Sean was even saying on the telecast that Pop doesn't care if it's garbage time. He wants to see offensive plays run, and defense played in the team scheme. Since garbage time is all Green will likely see, he'd better start flying on those rotations. This will be his only chance to show his quality.

Which is one of the reasons Pop has been one of the NBA's more successful coaches.

Bruno
11-22-2010, 01:09 AM
Green has a shot of being Spurs' centerpiece.
He has the right characteristics, but it's a matter of being good enough.

sinok
11-22-2010, 04:33 AM

Centerpiece => Bogans second coming. So it's rather a matter of beeing bad enough.

mountainballer
11-22-2010, 09:21 AM
I like the signing and I do think Green has a pretty good chance to stick.
as mentioned, his background will help him a lot. having played for Mike Brown and Roy Williams he will not have to be begged to play some tough pressure defense. Green might not have the perfect tools regarding athleticism and size, but he has about the same skill set like Raja Bell had, when he came out of college. (much likely a bit better).

SenorSpur
11-22-2010, 03:16 PM

Centerpiece = Kiss of Death

EricB
11-22-2010, 03:58 PM
I like the comparison of Raja Bell.

Although a little taller, at the moment their games are semi similar.

lefty
11-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Kiss of death = Mario Elie

Let's play a little game of...

angelbelow
11-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Not that's he's played well, but what did you expect to glean from 20 games and 115 minutes (and you can bet virtually all of them came in garbage time)? The reality is, he hasn't really had a chance yet. I'm not saying he deserved one, especially on an elite team, but still. I wouldn't draw any conclusions based off of a terrible preseason.

Theoretically, Green is a better fit than Gee. Gee is a more intriguing talent with probably a higher upside, but ultimately, they're both going to have to make the league as role players if they're to stick and I think Green has a better chance of filling a role than Gee. Especially on this team. They need 3 and D out of the three spot. Those are supposed to be his strengths.

While im thinking along the same things that timvp are, these are good points. I also had questions on why he was waived from the Cavs team that didnt have lebron anymore, and how he really didnt look like an nba player in the few games where i watched him play. But again, this is a good post.

At the end of the day im gonna wait a long time before I get excited about this player. In the early days, I was a huge fan of Malik Hairston and cheered for him until he was ultimately waive. Last year I though Temple was the next big find given his rare combination of confidence, size and skill set. I couldnt catch the game but everyone has good things to say about the kid and I hope that continues.

Bruno
11-22-2010, 05:30 PM

While this centerpiece story has been a laughing stock, there are more to see behind it that just Pop has lost his mind with Bogans.

Pop quote was:
“He’s really the centerpiece of the whole thing. It sounds strange. You’ve got Timmy out there, and Tony and Manu — to say he’s the centerpiece. By that I mean … I like to have a starter who doesn’t need the ball, who gives us a defensive identity … somebody I can say, ‘Go play him. Go do your best to stop him.’ For us, that’s been our style for 12 years.”

This quote is a huge homage to Bruce. Pop is pointing how important he was to Spurs success. Pop has been trying to find a player to play his role for years, even if obviously the new player won't be as good as Bruce. Spurs have tried players like James White!, Malik Hairston, Ime Udoka, Keith Bogans... Danny Green is the most recent try. If he plays solid defense and is able to hit, let's say 35%, of wide open corner 3's, Spurs will keep him and Pop will give him consistent minutes at least until Anderson comeback. These past 3 years, Spurs have had a player (Udoka or Bogans) playing 15-20mpg who played hard on the defensive end and was limited on offense. Danny Green could be this player for 2010/2011.

xmas1997
11-22-2010, 06:00 PM
While this centerpiece story has been a laughing stock, there are more to see behind it that just Pop has lost his mind with Bogans.
This quote is a huge homage to Bruce. Pop is pointing how important he was to Spurs success. Pop has been trying to find a player to play his role for years, even if obviously the new player won't be as good as Bruce. Spurs have tried players like James White!, Malik Hairston, Ime Udoka, Keith Bogans... Danny Green is the most recent try. If he plays solid defense and is able to hit, let's say 35%, of wide open corner 3's, Spurs will keep him and Pop will give him consistent minutes at least until Anderson comeback. These past 3 years, Spurs have had a player (Udoka or Bogans) playing 15-20mpg who played hard on the defensive end and was limited on offense. Danny Green could be this player for 2010/2011.

Glad to see we somewhat agree on Green. Hope he turns out to be better than any of us expect.

TD 21
11-22-2010, 08:27 PM
While im thinking along the same things that timvp are, these are good points. I also had questions on why he was waived from the Cavs team that didnt have lebron anymore, and how he really didnt look like an nba player in the few games where i watched him play. But again, this is a good post.

At the end of the day im gonna wait a long time before I get excited about this player. In the early days, I was a huge fan of Malik Hairston and cheered for him until he was ultimately waive. Last year I though Temple was the next big find given his rare combination of confidence, size and skill set. I couldnt catch the game but everyone has good things to say about the kid and I hope that continues.

It's real simple. You see, the Cavs need as much individual talent as they can cultivate right now. Harris outplayed him in preseason, so they decided to keep him. Whether Harris truly is a better talent remains to be seen.

For a team like the Spurs, they don't necessarily need that (not that it's ever bad to have or that you could ever have too much). What they need is a role player, someone who could potentially thrive playing off of a lot of talent. That's why I was more intrigued with Hairston than Gee and that's why I'm more intrigued with Green than Gee.

jjktkk
11-22-2010, 09:43 PM
It's real simple. You see, the Cavs need as much individual talent as they can cultivate right now. Harris outplayed him in preseason, so they decided to keep him. Whether Harris truly is a better talent remains to be seen.

For a team like the Spurs, they don't necessarily need that (not that it's ever bad to have or that you could ever have too much). What they need is a role player, someone who could potentially thrive playing off of a lot of talent. That's why I was more intrigued with Hairston than Gee and that's why I'm more intrigued with Green than Gee.

The problem it seems, is that their are not a whole lot of young players out there who are willing to lay it out on the line defensively. It seems most are more concerned about scoring. Would love for Green to become a defensive stopper for this team.

mountainballer
11-23-2010, 04:56 AM

this.
and the fact that they brought over Eyenga (their 1st round pick from 2009), who got 2 guaranteed years, plays the same position and as well has his strengths mainly on the defensive end.
(Eyenga will be a bust IMO, but that's another story)
Cavs are not special anymore, but they got a lot of depth at the wing, considering that Gibson and Sessions also play a lot off guard minutes.

Green was just the odd man out. hopefully they will regret soon that they decided to go with Harris and Eyenga.

angelbelow
11-23-2010, 05:04 AM

Well as I mentioned before, my knowledge of Greens situation with Cavs was indeed an opinion formed from a small sample size. I think you bring up great points.

The problem it seems, is that their are not a whole lot of young players out there who are willing to lay it out on the line defensively. It seems most are more concerned about scoring. Would love for Green to become a defensive stopper for this team.

That's where the moneys at I guess. An over simplification but IMO, there are 2 general types of players: players that chase the ring and players that chase the dough. As spurs fans, were used to the ones that chase the ring (Big 3 taking repeated paycuts as well as bowen, now apparently splitter etc.)

xmas1997
11-23-2010, 09:06 AM
And Green, etc.
He has a lot to prove, but with Pops help, he will.
My money is on him.

bluebellmaniac
11-23-2010, 01:49 PM
If Bruce Bowen clones were a dime a dozen or so easy to find, we'd already have a Bruce clone backing up a Bruce clone on our team right now...

You have to be blessed with the physical talent, have the mental focus, be lucky enough to be on a team that actually teaches you defense and then hope that a team on which all this can come together has a good enough scouting network to have it all come together... oh... and you have to be able to shoot the 3...

Evaluating someone as being the next Bruce Bowen is not easy, even for the Spurs... but if any team can do it, it will be the Spurs... wow, we miss that guy!

Darkwaters
11-23-2010, 01:54 PM

Pop quote was:
“He’s really the centerpiece of the whole thing. It sounds strange. You’ve got Timmy out there, and Tony and Manu — to say he’s the centerpiece. By that I mean … I like to have a starter who doesn’t need the ball, who gives us a defensive identity … somebody I can say, ‘Go play him. Go do your best to stop him.’ For us, that’s been our style for 12 years.”

James White!

Darkwaters
11-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Spurs have tried players like James White!, Malik Hairston, Ime Udoka, Keith Bogans... Danny Green is the most recent try.

Melvin Sanders, Marcus Williams, Giorgio Printezis (okay, not really)...

ace3g
11-23-2010, 03:15 PM
SpearsNBAYahoo Marc J. Spears
Spurs waived guard/forward Danny Green. Green was signed Nov. 17 and appeared in two games, averaging 3.0 points in 4.5 minutes.

Bruno
11-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Melvin Sanders, Marcus Williams, Giorgio Printezis (okay, not really)...

You can also add Bobby Jones and Jeremy Richardson to the list.
For half a decade, Spurs have tried to find a defense first swingman to replace Bruce (at least partially).

Wiz
02-19-2014, 08:29 PM
:tu

Floyd Pacquiao
02-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Solid pick up imo...

timtonymanu
02-19-2014, 08:45 PM
Wow. To think we waived him once. Good thing Green used that as motivation and turned into the player he is now.

Really solid pickup that no one expected. :tu

Floyd Pacquiao
02-19-2014, 08:52 PM
Danny= top 10 perimeter defender & best point guard defender in the NBA imo....

SpurPadre
02-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Yeah, we're lucky Lebron didn't deem him worthy to stay with him in Cleveland at the time.

Chinook
02-19-2014, 08:58 PM
Yeah, we're lucky Lebron didn't deem him worthy to stay with him in Cleveland at the time.

He got cut after James left. They were supposedly close while in Cleveland.

timtonymanu
02-19-2014, 08:58 PM

Green was waived after LeBron left to Miami. Start of the 2010-2011 season.

SpurPadre
02-19-2014, 10:04 PM
Yeah, you guys are right about green getting cut after LeBron left.

itzsoweezee
02-19-2014, 10:54 PM
I really hope the Spurs don't trade Danny.