PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the NBA’s 30 Go-To Guys (#10: Tim Duncan)

duncan228
11-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Ranking the NBA’s 30 Go-To Guys (#10: Tim Duncan) (http://dimemag.com/2010/11/ranking-the-nbas-30-go-to-guys-10-tim-duncan/)
By Austin Burton
Dime

Who do you want your offense to run through with the game on the line? (http://dimemag.com/2010/11/dime-exclusive-with-dwyane-wade-were-beyond-boos-and-cheers/) Counting down from 30th to 1st (one per team), I’ve ranked the League’s go-to guys…

TIM DUNCAN, San Antonio Spurs

You know how I know Duncan is old? Justifying his spot as a Top-10 clutch performer in the NBA isn’t as tough as justifying his spot as the No. 1 option on the Spurs.

The descent really began in 2007. San Antonio’s championship series win over the Cavs was nothing out of the ordinary. Even the four-game sweep wasn’t too far off-script. But then Tony Parker won the Finals MVP award that seemed reserved for Duncan. Not such a big deal in the grand scheme — Joe Dumars, James Worthy and Cedric Maxwell own Finals MVP trophies from teams that clearly read “Isiah,” “Magic” and “Larry” on the label — but that was also Duncan’s last actual 20-and-10 season. His minutes, points, and rebounds have gradually decreased since then. Then playoff exits in ‘08, ‘09 and 2010 highlighted just how important Parker, Manu Ginobili and Fill-In-The-Small-Forward were to the Spurs’ process, and suddenly — while he still had occasional moments like the 22-and-21 stat line in a must-win Game 3 in the ‘08 Western Conference Finals, or the overtime-forcing three against Phoenix — Duncan didn’t seem as dominant anymore.

This year, it’s even tougher to definitively declare Duncan the Spurs’ go-to guy. His 13.4 points and 8.9 rebounds per game put him statistically closer to Elton Brand than Pau Gasol, while Parker and Ginobili have been producing the standout numbers. In fact, Duncan is only the fourth-leading scorer on his team, as Richard Jefferson has also put up more points. And if Matt Bonner keeps dropping threes at an 80-percent clip, he might even surpass Duncan on the stat sheet.

So how does Duncan hold claim to this spot? Because the Spurs offense still runs through him in crunch-time. Because he’s still the unquestioned leader in the huddle. Because when they really need him, he delivers. Case in point: His 25-point, 17-rebound, 3-block, 11-for-13 from the field effort against the Suns in a two-point win earlier this month.

At this stage of his career, Duncan is a playoff player. He’s more Mariano Rivera than C.C. Sabathia. The regular season is about seeding, not proving anything. Parker and Ginobili can carry the first eight innings, but the ninth still belongs to the Big Sandman.

11. Brandon Roy (Trail Blazers)
12. Joe Johnson (Hawks)
13. Derrick Rose (Bulls)
14. Tyreke Evans (Kings)
15. Vince Carter (Magic)
16. Gilbert Arenas (Wizards)
17. Amar’e Stoudemire (Knicks)
18. Monta Ellis (Warriors)
19. Danny Granger (Pacers)
20. John Salmons (Bucks)
21. Rudy Gay (Grizzlies)
22. Stephen Jackson (Bobcats)
23. Baron Davis (Clippers)
24. Ben Gordon (Pistons)
25. Andre Iguodala (76ers)
26. Yao Ming (Rockets)
27. Mo Williams (Cavaliers)
28. Brook Lopez (Nets)
29. Andrea Bargnani (Raptors)
30. Michael Beasley (Timberwolves)

ALVAREZ6
11-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Oh shit cool list, can't wait to see the rest of the top 10

GabeIsGone
11-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Ranking the NBA’s 30 Go-To Guys (#10: Tim Duncan) (http://dimemag.com/2010/11/ranking-the-nbas-30-go-to-guys-10-tim-duncan/)

12. Joe Johnson (Hawks)
13. Derrick Rose (Bulls)
14. Tyreke Evans (Kings)
15. Vince Carter (Magic)
20. John Salmons (Bucks)
21. Rudy Gay (Grizzlies)
24. Ben Gordon (Pistons)
26. Yao Ming (Rockets)
28. Brook Lopez (Nets)

Horrible list, anyone who takes this seriously is crazy. Gilbert Arenas-#16? Baron Davis shouldn't be anywhere near this list. Andrea Bargnani =LOL.

ALVAREZ6
11-17-2010, 04:03 PM
The list is horrible but maybe the top 10 will make more sense...

I am predicting:

1. Kobe Bryant
2. Manu Ginobili

Seventyniner
11-17-2010, 04:37 PM
There will be one player from each team. I predict:

1) Bryant, LAL
2) Durant, OKC
3) Wade, MIA
4) Nowitzki, DAL
5) Pierce, BOS
6) Paul, NO
7) Anthony, DEN
8) Nash, PHO
9) D. Williams, UTA

coyotes_geek
11-17-2010, 05:10 PM
12. Joe Johnson (Hawks)
13. Derrick Rose (Bulls)
14. Tyreke Evans (Kings)
15. Vince Carter (Magic)
20. John Salmons (Bucks)
21. Rudy Gay (Grizzlies)
24. Ben Gordon (Pistons)
26. Yao Ming (Rockets)
28. Brook Lopez (Nets)

I don't care that you are making yourself take one guy per team, I can't take any list with Gilbert Arenas and Yao Ming on it seriously.

Xylus
11-17-2010, 05:14 PM
It's a cool idea for a list, but if they're only going to pick one player from each team, then Ginobili should be featured over Duncan.

MmP
11-17-2010, 05:55 PM
If Ginobili doesn't make the list I'll quit my job

coyotes_geek
11-17-2010, 06:03 PM
It's a cool idea for a list, but if they're only going to pick one player from each team, then Ginobili should be featured over Duncan.

Agreed. Not a horrible injustice, but if we're talking this year, it's got to be Manu.

coyotes_geek
11-17-2010, 06:04 PM
If Ginobili doesn't make the list I'll quit my job

You might want to read the first sentence of the O.P. Either that or start working on that resignation letter.

jestersmash
11-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Look up "super clutch" stats on 82 games for when they last have data. What is "super clutch" you ask? -

4th quarter or overtime, less than 2 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 3 points

Most clutch players in the entire league under this definition -

1. lebron
2. Kobe
3. ginobili
4. nowitzki
5. CP3

How about recent "clutch" (not super clutch) stats?

Ginobili again ranks 3rd with a "clutch PER" of 49.2

And yet, none of this is going to matter one bit for those rankings because Ginobili won't be featured given that one team-one player rule.

Yao Ming? Mo Williams? Over Ginobili? What a disgrace.

jestersmash
11-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Gilbert fucking Arenas? Is he actually playing in the NBA again?

He hasn't had a good year since 2005. And yet they rank him over Stoudemire? Joke list.

Stoudemire is 10 times the clutch player Arenas is, mostly because Arenas hasn't even been playing much 06-07

BlairForceDejuan
11-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Meaningless list without Manu. (yes I know it's one per team)

ALVAREZ6
11-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Agreed. Not a horrible injustice, but if we're talking this year, it's got to be Manu.

Yeah more like the past 3 years, we're still talking Manu.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Manu has been the closer for years, and that is an awful list.

DAF86
11-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Then playoff exits in ‘08, ‘09 and 2010 highlighted just how important Parker, Manu Ginobili and Fill-In-The-Small-Forward were to the Spurs’ process,

Ok, Bruce Bowen. Is there any other option?

I'm pretty sure this guy has never seen an entire Spurs game in his life.

kace
11-19-2010, 07:42 AM

doobs
11-19-2010, 08:40 AM
This is still Duncan's team and he's dependable and clutch and can turn it on when it counts ... but Manu is a cold blooded assassin.

ffadicted
11-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Ginobili HAS to be top 10 imo

wildbill2u
11-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Well, we know who Coach Pop thinks is our go-to guy. When the game is on the line, he goes to Manu every time.

Mavs<Spurs
11-19-2010, 11:56 PM
Cool concept. Manu has been our closer since 2006 I believe. And I would put the ball in Manu's hands at the end of any close game that I had to win. First off, Manu is a great free throw shooter. Timmy is mediocre at best. Second, Manu is a guard and a great creator. Manu can collapse the defense. Manu is a threat in many ways: a great 3 point shooter, great at driving to the rim, and an amazing distributor of the basketball.

I also agree with the main thought of the OP: Timmy is for Playoff Time and only occasionally for the really important regular season game (those whose impact upon seeding can be significant). Timmy can still put up big numbers on any one given night, but if he were to try to carry the team through an 82 game season, he would be spent by March or earlier, injured and ineffective at playoff time.

Now, if we were talking about yesteryear, then Robert Horry's name has got to be at the top of the list for those who are not HOFers.