PDA

View Full Version : Neil Young

SnakeBoy
11-17-2010, 02:41 PM
I wonder how many carbon offsets he will need to purchase.

Neil Young's hybrid car blamed for Calif. warehouse fire

Canadian rocker Neil Young's attempt to transform a 1959 Lincoln Continental to run off battery power prompted a three alarm fire that caused an estimated $1 million in damages, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Wednesday.

Young's pet project, a company called LincVolt, involved fitting the vintage car with electric batteries and a biodiesel-powered generator. The musician now believes the car's charging system ignited the November 9 blaze at his San Francisco warehouse.

"We are still investigating the exact cause, although it appears to be an operator error that occurred in an untested part of the charging system," Young said in a statement.

"We are investigating the components involved with plug-in charging," the 65-year-old added.

The experimental vehicle was stored at a 10,000 square foot warehouse where Young also kept guitars, paintings, vintage cars and other memorabilia.

Authorities said roughly 70 percent of the items were salvaged but the fire cost at least $1 million in damages.

Throughout his career, Young has released 33 studio albums and has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. In addition to music, he is an avid environmentalist and co-founded the Farm Aid benefit concerts to support family-run farms.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/neil_young_hybrid_car_blamed_for_3oM51zTNen61BxSlB NEgqM

Stringer_Bell
11-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Neil Young is great. Thank goodness no one was hurt.

SnakeBoy
11-17-2010, 03:15 PM
His music is great, his attempt to save the planet from CO2...not so much.

balli
11-17-2010, 03:19 PM
lol, Neil Young is still cool as hell though.

RandomGuy
11-17-2010, 03:22 PM
I wonder how many carbon offsets he will need to purchase.

:rollin

That was funny. :toast

DarrinS
11-17-2010, 03:22 PM

:toast

Stringer_Bell
11-17-2010, 06:40 PM

Well yea, the project was a fail but I think that's more research & development's fault or was HE the "operator" that caused the error?

Parker2112
11-17-2010, 08:37 PM
better to burn out than fade away?

Yonivore
11-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Neil Young is great. Thank goodness no one was hurt.
Thank goodness no one was hurt. But, Neil Young is an untalented idiot. So, in a effort to reduce his carbon footprint he's managed to emit more toxins than he probably would have if he'd replaced his hybrid with a NASCAR Stock Car.

Have I got that right?

Parker2112
11-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Neil is known to set off fireworks and school guitar legends from time to time

_wCvUynhYRY

Parker2112
11-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Neil Young is an untalented idiot.

:lmao:lmao:lmao....:wow....:lmao:lmao:lmao....

Yonivore
11-17-2010, 08:50 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao....:wow....:lmao:lmao:lmao....
His fans were too stoned to know he can't sing and, now, too embarrassed to admit they were too stoned to know he can't sing.

Skynard called this one.

Parker2112
11-17-2010, 09:01 PM
It seems he's been cruising for a meltdown for a while...

"I asked Young's guitar tech Larry Cragg what the hardest tour had been. "All of 'em," he said. "They've all been rough, every one of 'em made workin' for anybody else real easy. The tours are out of the ordinary, the music, the movies, everything's out of the ordinary. We do things differently around here. That's just the way it is."

Cragg was tinkering with Young's guitar rig, which sat in a little area to the rear of the stage. A gaggle of amps, a Magnatone, a huge transistorized Baldwin Exterminator, a Fender Reverb unit and the heart of it all: a small, weather-beaten box covered in worn-out tweed, 1959 vintage. "The Deluxe," muttered amp tech Sal Trentino with awe.

"Neil's got four hundred and fifty-six identical Deluxes. They sound nothing like this one." Young runs the amp with oversized tubes, and Cragg has to keep portable fans trained on the back so it doesn't melt down. "It really is ready to just go up in smoke, and it sounds that way flat-out, overdriven, ready to self-destruct."

Young has a personal relationship with electricity. In Europe, where the electrical current is sixty cycles, not fifty, he can pinpoint the fluctuation by degrees. It dumbfounded Cragg. "He'll say, 'Larry, there's a hundred and seventeen volts coming out of the wall, isn't there?' I'll go measure it, and yeah, sure he can hear the difference."

Shakey's innovations are everywhere. Intent on controlling amp volume from his guitar instead of the amp, Young had a remote device designed called the Whizzer. Guitarists marvel at the stomp box that lies onstage at Young's feet: a byzantine gang of effects that can be utilized without any degradation to the original signal. Just constructing the box's angular red wooden housing to Young's extreme specifications had craftsmen pulling their hair out.

Cradled in a stand in front of the amps is the fuse for the dynamite, Young's trademark ax Old Black, a '53 Gold Top Les Paul some knothead daubed with black paint eons ago. Old Black's features include a Bigsby wang bar, which pulls strings and bends notes, and a Firebird pickup so sensitive you can talk through it. It's a demonic instrument. "Old Black doesn't sound like any other guitar," said Cragg, shaking his head.
For Cragg, Old Black is a nightmare. Young won't permit the ancient frets to be changed, likes his strings old and used, and the Bigsby causes the guitar to go out of tune constantly. "At sound check, everything will work great. Neil picks up the guitar, and for some reason that's when things go wrong."

Stringer_Bell
11-17-2010, 09:05 PM
But, Neil Young is an untalented idiot. So, in a effort to reduce his carbon footprint he's managed to emit more toxins than he probably would have if he'd replaced his hybrid with a NASCAR Stock Car.

Have I got that right?

You could be right about the toxins and stupidity of trying to make a hybrid car, but Neil Young is easily one of the best musicians ever. To even attempt to argue otherwise is ignorant, bordering on unfuckably retarded.

SswXJX6X-ow

ilbgvmoF0VA

I'm sure even WC's cold black heart would agree that your dismissal of Neil Young is dumb. :ihit

Parker2112
11-17-2010, 09:07 PM
His fans were too stoned to know he can't sing and, now, too embarrassed to admit they were too stoned to know he can't sing.

Skynard called this one.

You wont find heavier tone than in that vid above, buddy. His voice is definitely an acquired taste, but he has written MANY of the greatest rock songs ever laid down on hot wax.

Thank the good lord for Neil Young.

MannyIsGod
11-17-2010, 09:07 PM
:lol Ohio is probably the reason Yonivore hates Neil Young. That and Southern Man.

Parker2112
11-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Neil is known to set off fireworks and school guitar legends from time to time

_wCvUynhYRY

holyshit thats heavy.

Yonivore
11-17-2010, 09:32 PM
:lol Ohio is probably the reason Yonivore hates Neil Young. That and Southern Man.
I don't hate Young, I just don't like his music.

Yonivore
11-18-2010, 07:04 AM
I'm sure even WC's cold black heart would agree that your dismissal of Neil Young is dumb. :ihit
And, that's important because...

Wild Cobra
11-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Well, I never gave him a thought before, but considering his project started a fire, that doesn't say much about him. We know from reports over the last two years or so that these batteries can cause fires. Now just because he has become rich and famous, that doesn't mean squat about his intelligence. Even the dumb can get rich.