PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong with Splitter?

Pages : [1] 2

bena91489
11-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Why has Splitter gotten no playing time these past 2 games?

HarlemHeat37
11-17-2010, 11:53 PM
There's a rumor going around that he was having an affair with Brent Barry's wife..

Nathan Explosion
11-17-2010, 11:59 PM
I thought it was Gino's wife. That Argentina/Brazil rivalry is really personal.

ALVAREZ6
11-17-2010, 11:59 PM
I think Tiago already addressed why he hasn't been playing. He's already sick of how soft the play is in the NBA. He can't take how easy it is to be called for a foul, and this includes technicals. Therefore, he has no desire to play in such a bitch-ass run league and wants to go back to Spain.

benefactor
11-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Pop has been without small ball for a long time. He's binging.

Hooks
11-18-2010, 12:03 AM
Bonner needs his minutes.

ace3g
11-18-2010, 12:06 AM
JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald
And, no, I'm not sure why Splitter hasn't played. Except Pop warned us earlier in the week, somebody will be odd man out night to night.

itzsoweezee
11-18-2010, 12:15 AM
I saw this coming. Pretty soon, Bonner will be starting. Fuk U popovich

SequSpur
11-18-2010, 12:16 AM
benoitis.

Leonard Curse
11-18-2010, 12:18 AM
fuck no if pop keeps splitter out ill make it my personal mission to tell pop what a moron he is for not playing tiago in person! fuck pop im tired of his ass

EricB

and Bonner was a huge reason they won tonight again.

Man thats gotta be killing you guys.

Chomag
Splitter is becomming Pop's Ian. Bonner might be starting next game

Nathan89
11-18-2010, 12:19 AM
Solution- Make Blair the 5th big.

itzsoweezee
11-18-2010, 12:21 AM

don't give a shit. he's playoff cancer

dougp
11-18-2010, 12:21 AM

What's hilarious is Bonner followed all his rotations to double Rose, but no one swung out to cover Deng. We're very lucky Deng was having a bad night.

And you're probably going to get flamed like I did ... :depressed

HarlemHeat37
11-18-2010, 12:23 AM
Why does it have to be Splitter or Bonner?..

Blair is clearly the worst of the 5 bigs on the team..

I'm not in favor of putting Blair in the dog house either, and I'm not in favor of seeing Bonner get starter's minutes..I want the Spurs to play their bigs based on specific situations, and based on resting Duncan for the playoffs..

The Spurs aren't going anywhere if Splitter doesn't contribute, so I really hope Pop doesn't pull this shit..Splitter has already looked levels better than Bonner and Blair defensively, and he's the only other threat that the Spurs can have in the post..

Blair is definitely the biggest liability of the 5 though..

I'm hoping, by the playoffs, the minutes will be:

1. Duncan
2. Splitter
3. McDyess
4. Bonner
5. Blair

Chomag
11-18-2010, 12:23 AM

You can get of your high-horse man. How many rebounds did Bonner have? One

Leonard Curse
11-18-2010, 12:24 AM
yeah im glad bonners playing good but my god does it have to keep tiago out of the game and have 35year olds playing 40 fucking minutes!!?? its ludicrous and i now know for a fact i have a higher IQ than coach pop's drunk ass

Sean Cagney
11-18-2010, 12:24 AM

Yeah who didn't he can't resist! I swear as soon as we saw him signed we should have known he would start soon and get alot of mins! I swear this is old now :depressed

barbacoataco
11-18-2010, 12:25 AM
The Spurs have 5 guys-- Duncan, Blair, Bonner, McDyess and Splitter-- competing for 4 spots. Right now Bonner and McDyess are playing well, so it will be hard to find playing time for Blair and Splitter. Over time I think Splitter will get playing time and take minutes from either Blair or McDyess. Also, if they give Duncan and/or McDyess the night off on back2backs that could get a few games with big minutes for Splitter. They have to see what he has, but they aren't in a rush since he is still learning the NBA rules and getting familiar with the team. He missed pre-season.

Chomag
11-18-2010, 12:26 AM
22 minutes and 1 rebound? Of course the Bonner lovers will only talk about the 3's

EricB
You can get of your high-horse man. How many rebounds did Bonner have? One

Hey how bout that.

Who was the guy that kept them close and helped them win? 15.

EricB

I'm not in favor of putting Blair in the dog house either, and I'm not in favor of seeing Bonner get starter's minutes..I want the Spurs to play their bigs based on specific situations, and based on resting Duncan for the playoffs..

The Spurs aren't going anywhere if Splitter doesn't contribute, so I really hope Pop doesn't pull this shit..Splitter has already looked levels better than Bonner and Blair defensively, and he's the only other threat that the Spurs can have in the post..

1. Duncan
2. Splitter
3. McDyess
4. Bonner
5. Blair

Agreed.

He more than likely will see bigger minutes against Utah and their more low post oriented offense.

Sean Cagney
11-18-2010, 12:27 AM

Not the way this f in clown will kill us later starting and missing in the playoffs again :( He is a spot player, thats all he is.

EricB
11-18-2010, 12:27 AM
22 minutes and 1 rebound? Of course the Bonner lovers will only talk about the 3's

Of course the Bonner haters have to bitch about something and not enjoy a win.

Take the tree trunk out of your ass.

barbacoataco
11-18-2010, 12:28 AM
The problem with Bonner long term is that he has proven to be ineffective in the playoffs and pressure situations. His defense is sub-par and he can't get his shot off when the defenses step up the pressure. Even though he is playing well now, I don't think he can be the starting center on a NBA championship team. But I think he could be a 10-15 mpg guy, especially with certain defensive matchups.

SpurCharger
11-18-2010, 12:29 AM
Right now I think Blair should be the Odd Man Out..... He Isnt doin anything special, He has actually played kinda shitty if ya ask me.... Duncan, Dice, Splitter, Bonner, Then Blair....

Nathan89
11-18-2010, 12:30 AM
Blair chokes in the regular season, can't imagine what he would do in the playoffs.

Chomag
11-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Of course the Bonner haters have to bitch about something and not enjoy a win.

Take the tree trunk out of your ass.

I am enjoying the win thank you. Now can you ever talk to someone without talking like a thirteen year old? Ever try to disagree without snide remarks at the end?

barbacoataco
11-18-2010, 12:33 AM
Blair chokes in the regular season, can't imagine what he would do in the playoffs.

But Blair is in his 2nd NBA season and is still getting better. Playing young players is an investment in the future. Bonner has had his chances in the playoffs and is not particularly young or getting any better. He is what he is, a guy who can hit a lot of 3 ptrs when he is open.

Chomag
11-18-2010, 12:33 AM
Right now I think Blair should be the Odd Man Out..... He Isnt doin anything special, He has actually played kinda shitty if ya ask me.... Duncan, Dice, Splitter, Bonner, Then Blair....

Ya, I hate seeing how far Blair has regressed this season. Right now he should be the 5th big.

TwelveGs210
11-18-2010, 12:36 AM
don't give a shit. he's playoff cancer

DAMN RIGHT.. FUCK what he does in the season, fuck his 7 for 7 3 point shooting, fuck ALL that shit.. he needs to do the same in the playoffs or GTFO of here. Don't get me wrong I'm happy as hell to see him playing well, but thats Dallas Maverick thinking to get excited about what he's doing 10 games in. And now if Splitter is going to be non-existent because of this, it's only making things worse..we need Splitter in rythym come rodeo road trip time..we cant shove him in against the Lakers and expect good results..it will not end well for us.

TD 21
11-18-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm not surprised. The day Bonner was re-signed, I was this coming. I knew there would be a stretch in the season (most likely early) where he was out of the rotation. Predictable.

Pop has got to get him acclimated, though and that's not going to happen by playing him in short stretches (I don't want to hear about conditioning, he's looked fine recently and even if he wasn't, it's not hard to get him a quick rest and then get him back in there, so that he begins to become accustomed to playing more minutes). Also, he's got to play him next to Duncan more.

Ultimately, if this team is going to get back to the Finals, we all know they'll have to go through the Lakers at some point and against the Lakers, they're going to have to lean heavily on Duncan, McDyess and Splitter. If he hardly ever plays with Duncan and plays sporadic minutes all season, how can he be expected to be a big part of that series when he's suddenly thrust into having to play extended minutes, many or at least some of which next to Duncan? The time to get him used to playing those minutes and playing next to Duncan is now.

In a related note, it's obvious (barring a Mason like plunge) that Bonner is going to be in the playoff rotation. He's sewn up the third big spot.

BlairForceDejuan
11-18-2010, 12:46 AM

Awesome! It's not like Splitter has a higher ceiling as an actual real post player in the NBA.

It's not like Splitter needs play to be ready for playoffs. A 7 footer with actual 7 foot game? fuck that. It's 3 ball time! Ol' faithful 3's will win us #5!

Just greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat.

silverblk mystix
11-18-2010, 12:48 AM
I'm not surprised. The day Bonner was re-signed, I was this coming. I knew there would be a stretch in the season (most likely early) where he was out of the rotation. Predictable.

Pop has got to get him acclimated, though and that's not going to happen by playing him in short stretches (I don't want to hear about conditioning, he's looked fine recently and even if he wasn't, it's not hard to get him a quick rest and then get him back in there, so that he begins to become accustomed to playing more minutes). Also, he's got to play him next to Duncan more.

Ultimately, if this team is going to get back to the Finals, we all know they'll have to go through the Lakers at some point and against the Lakers, they're going to have to lean heavily on Duncan, McDyess and Splitter. If he hardly ever plays with Duncan and plays sporadic minutes all season, how can he be expected to be a big part of that series when he's suddenly thrust into having to play extended minutes, many or at least some of which next to Duncan? The time to get him used to playing those minutes and playing next to Duncan is now.

In a related note, it's obvious (barring a Mason like plunge) that Bonner is going to be in the playoff rotation. He's sewn up the third big spot.

This.

It is difficult to state this without sounding like a fan who can't enjoy the win. but the big picture is what matters and Bonner over Splitter is a grave mistake.

Roger Freemason Jr.
11-18-2010, 12:48 AM
Yall are tripping big time. Why do yall think you know better than Pop? Pop is one of the greatest coaches of all time, and you feel it's only necessary to question his judgement? Bonner has been getting minutes, and has been playing great, and maybe his history haunts him, but that doesn't stop the development for a player. Pop wants Splitter to develop at a pace, and not just throw him in, especially since he's barely coming off the injury. He has shown promise, and he will get minutes, so stop tripping. Spurs are 9-1, mimicking the best start in franchise history, why aren't you celebrating?

MaNu4Tres
11-18-2010, 12:50 AM

My exact thoughts

:tu

BlairForceDejuan
11-18-2010, 12:52 AM
Yall are tripping big time. Why do yall think you know better than Pop? Pop is one of the greatest coaches of all time, and you feel it's only necessary to question his judgement? Bonner has been getting minutes, and has been playing great, and maybe his history haunts him, but that doesn't stop the development for a player. Pop wants Splitter to develop at a pace, and not just throw him in, especially since he's barely coming off the injury. He has shown promise, and he will get minutes, so stop tripping. Spurs are 9-1, mimicking the best start in franchise history, why aren't you celebrating?

You're probably right :lol I just want some mini twin towers again before the window is closed. :depressed

Nathan89
11-18-2010, 12:55 AM
But Blair is in his 2nd NBA season and is still getting better. Playing young players is an investment in the future. Bonner has had his chances in the playoffs and is not particularly young or getting any better. He is what he is, a guy who can hit a lot of 3 ptrs when he is open.

Doesn't look like he's getting better to me. We need to develop Tiago for any chance and we need Bonner to spread the floor. Blair is a nice player to eat minutes.

Barfunk
11-18-2010, 12:57 AM
If Splitter doesn't become a big part of the Spurs system this season then we will not be getting past the second round or the Lakers for that matter. Story of end.

TD 21
11-18-2010, 01:05 AM

Because, like silverblk mystix said, it's about the big picture. In the grand scheme of things, if this team doesn't have Splitter acclimated with playing more minutes, the system, at least relatively used to playing next to Duncan, etc., then they're not a serious threat to win the championship.

If he's either out of the rotation, or Pop doesn't fully have trust in him, or he looks uncomfortable come playoff time, then this team doesn't stand a chance against the Lakers.

This team doesn't have the luxury of bringing him along slowly. He's supposed to be eating up minutes now, so that Duncan and McDyess don't have to play as much. But even more importantly than that, they need him this season if they're going to win a championship, or even seriously contend. It's not going to happen by him sitting on the bench or playing sporadically.

I get that he's still adjusting to the speed of the game and isn't in the type of shape required to play 30 mpg (not that they need that out of him), but treating him like he's Ratliff and can't handle more than a few minutes at a time or in a half? He's had more than a handful of games now, he's a young guy, let the guy play. He can probably go for 8 or 9 minutes at a time now and if he can't, then get him a quick breather and put him back in. He acts like if he plays him 5 or 6 minutes, then he can't possibly play anymore in the half.

kaji157
11-18-2010, 01:07 AM
From what ive read in the past, when Splitter started playing he was still not 100% healthy from that planctar injury.
Now that booner is back Pop is not going to play him unless he is 100% healthy or needed.
Plus, our next games Utah and Cleveland, are back to backs, maybe we are going to rest Tim the second night of that B2b and give Tiago his first real tryout.

angelbelow
11-18-2010, 01:10 AM
Its perplexing. Its not like the dude makes a lot of mistakes. Like everyone else I was really hoping to see him against the bulls today. I think he matches up well against the bulls front court too.. the win is nice but as echoed in this thread the big picture is important to consider.

crc21209
11-18-2010, 01:10 AM
I expect to see him out there the next game against Utah against Al Jefferson who likes to bang in the post.

crc21209
11-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Its perplexing. Its not like the dude makes a lot of mistakes. Like everyone else I was really hoping to see him against the bulls today. I think he matches up well against the bulls front court too.. the win is nice but as echoed in this thread the big picture is important to consider.

Other than Noah, they dont really have a great front court when Boozer is missing. I think if Boozer had been playing we would have seen Splitter tonight...

#2!
11-18-2010, 01:13 AM

Fuck the future, now is all the Spurs have.

DeJuan Blair and George Hill will not be leading the San Antonio Spurs to anymore than a low playoff seed and a first round exit after the big 3 are gone.

The Front office has no reason to invest in the future; the best thing for them is to win another championship. That means beating the lakers right now, and if a player doesn't look capable of either out scoring, or decently defending their LA counter part then fuck them. Think about this season only Spurs fans!

angelbelow
11-18-2010, 01:14 AM
Other than Noah, they dont really have a great front court when Boozer is missing. I think if Boozer had been playing we would have seen Splitter tonight...

Agreed. Its a good thing Gibson was invisible tonight.

Kent_in_Atlanta
11-18-2010, 01:56 AM
I have no problem with Bonner, and while he's this hot, you gotta keep him on the floor. When every 3 he shoots is falling, you can't sit him. But when he cools off, you gotta start getting Splitter more integrated, I would think. Splitter is a huge key to competing with LA. Is Bonner going to guard Gasol? I think not. Gotta weave Splitter's D into the scheme of things.

I understand Bonner's minutes right now, but I've still been very disappointed to see Splitter glued to the bench lately. Hope to see him in there much more often asap.

UnWantedTheory
11-18-2010, 02:01 AM
10 in 72 to go....not 72 in and 10 to go. Relax people. Splitter will get his minutes, just be patient. There is no great rush just yet. Trying to see what Blair has atm isnt hurting too much if we continue to win. We need to get an idea of what he can contribute later, just as we need to with Splitter. Bonner is hot as of now, so there isnt any reason not to play him. Tiago is still out of shape and basically didnt have the same advantage coming into the season as the rest of the team, so slowly inserting him is not as big a problem as some are making it....not to mention he could still have lingering issues with his injury. Also, PT for TD & Dice is not at all terrible for the first 10 games. Start bitching around game 30 or so if nothing has changed. Right now its a bit premature.

Chomag
11-18-2010, 02:12 AM
10 in 72 to go....not 72 in and 10 to go. Relax people. Splitter will get his minutes, just be patient. There is no great rush just yet. Trying to see what Blair has atm isnt hurting too much if we continue to win. We need to get an idea of what he can contribute later, just as we need to with Splitter. Bonner is hot as of now, so there isnt any reason not to play him. Tiago is still out of shape and basically didnt have the same advantage coming into the season as the rest of the team, so slowly inserting him is not as big a problem as some are making it....not to mention he could still have lingering issues with his injury. Also, PT for TD & Dice is not at all terrible for the first 10 games. Start bitching around game 30 or so if nothing has changed. Right now its a bit premature.

IF Splitter didn't miss all of training camp and pre-season due to injury that might be fine. However He is already so far behind right now and Splitter needs all the minutes he can get to get accustomed to the Spur's system if he is to be ready come play-off time. Playoff rotations are also usually set pretty early in the season unless an injury. Teams usually wont make a change late in the season unless they have to in fear of breaking up the chemistry and rhythm as teams are in battle for play-off spot mode.

Nothing is set in stone of course but developing a player earlier the better before crunch time.

Obstructed_View
11-18-2010, 02:16 AM

How do you figure Bonner was a huge reason they won? This should be interesting.

Blackjack
11-18-2010, 02:21 AM

He's tall, talented and doesn't shoot threes, iibh, aimca, tbh.

UnWantedTheory
11-18-2010, 02:23 AM
IF Splitter didn't miss all of training camp and pre-season due to injury that might be fine. However He is already so far behind right now and Splitter needs all the minutes he can get to get accustomed to the Spur's system if he is to be ready come play-off time. Playoff rotations are also usually set pretty early in the season unless an injury. Teams usually wont make a change late in the season unless they have to in fear of breaking up the chemistry and rhythm as teams are in battle for play-off spot mode.

Nothing is set in stone of course but developing a player earlier the better before crunch time.
Someone should tell Pop that.

My point is it is only 10 games. He is trying to get him acclimated slowly and IMO there is nothing wrong with that atm, as we are going to try to get the best seeding possible for the PO's. Also, you have to keep the game we just played in mind. We were down by 17? at one time. It was a sloppy dog fight out there. Maybe he wanted to go with Bonner to help get the win since he has been hot. Now going back to last game with little to no Splitter you could say the same. When Matty B starts missing than I want Splitter in. Pop sees the matchups better than we, so I will certainly trust his judgement...he has been doing pretty good so far.

I do get your point, I just think we have a bit more time than you are willing to give them.

Chomag
11-18-2010, 02:25 AM
Pop sending a message to Splitter that he better learn to shoot the three-pointers if he wants to play. I'm only kidding =P

I hope

UnWantedTheory
11-18-2010, 02:26 AM

Despite what I said I do agree.

Chomag
11-18-2010, 02:27 AM
Someone should tell Pop that.

My point is it is only 10 games. He is trying to get him acclimated slowly and IMO there is nothing wrong with that atm, as we are going to try to get the best seeding possible for the PO's. Also, you have to keep the game we just played in mind. We were down by 17? at one time. It was a sloppy dog fight out there. Maybe he wanted to go with Bonner to help get the win since he has been hot. Now going back to last game with little to no Splitter you could say the same. When Matty B starts missing than I want Splitter in. Pop sees the matchups better than we, so I will certainly trust his judgement...he has been doing pretty good so far.

I do get your point, I just think we have a bit more time than you are willing to give them.

True, but rotation players usualy dont get DNP's on a NBA roster.

jjktkk
11-18-2010, 02:28 AM
Because, like silverblk mystix said, it's about the big picture. In the grand scheme of things, if this team doesn't have Splitter acclimated with playing more minutes, the system, at least relatively used to playing next to Duncan, etc., then they're not a serious threat to win the championship.

If he's either out of the rotation, or Pop doesn't fully have trust in him, or he looks uncomfortable come playoff time, then this team doesn't stand a chance against the Lakers.

This team doesn't have the luxury of bringing him along slowly. He's supposed to be eating up minutes now, so that Duncan and McDyess don't have to play as much. But even more importantly than that, they need him this season if they're going to win a championship, or even seriously contend. It's not going to happen by him sitting on the bench or playing sporadically.

I get that he's still adjusting to the speed of the game and isn't in the type of shape required to play 30 mpg (not that they need that out of him), but treating him like he's Ratliff and can't handle more than a few minutes at a time or in a half? He's had more than a handful of games now, he's a young guy, let the guy play. He can probably go for 8 or 9 minutes at a time now and if he can't, then get him a quick breather and put him back in. He acts like if he plays him 5 or 6 minutes, then he can't possibly play anymore in the half.

It is about the big picture, so why all the ranting about Splitter not playing? Its November, not April. Splitter will be brought about slowly and will continue to solidfy his spot in the rotation. Geez people some of you need to relax.

Obstructed_View
11-18-2010, 02:30 AM
I guess defense is dead. The only big worse than Bonner is Blair, and they're two of the first three bigs in the game.

UnWantedTheory
11-18-2010, 02:43 AM
True, but rotation players usualy dont get DNP's on a NBA roster.
OK? What does that prove? Splitter will most certainly be a rotation player, so I dont get the point of the statement.

UnWantedTheory
11-18-2010, 02:45 AM
I guess defense is dead. The only big worse than Bonner is Blair, and they're two of the first three bigs in the game.
True, but it is kinda tough not to play Bonner atm...and he did a pretty decent job tonight.

ALVAREZ6
11-18-2010, 02:58 AM
I understand both arguments, whether Splitter should be playing more right now or not.

I think we're all just too damn anxious to see if he really is a solid player, which would give this team more potential and better chances of bringing home #5.

Chomag
11-18-2010, 03:01 AM
I understand both arguments, whether Splitter should be playing more right now or not.

I think we're all just too damn anxious to see if he really is a solid player, which would give this team more potential and better chances of bringing home #5.

Agree with you here as I have said already that if Splitter did not miss training camp and pre-season Spurs might have this luxury of not playing him that much right now.

Man In Black
11-18-2010, 03:03 AM
I think it's the Swiss Army Knife effect. Pop has many, many tools and if you look at the matchups that Thibodeau was playing, there weren't any POWER interior bigs out there. No Carlos Boozer, no Kurt Thomas. Coach Tom had his Bulls attack outside in with his perimeter players. If this game was against the LAL or Boston or Orlando, Splitter is in there along with those other bigs. Let Splitter get healthy and then the Spurs will wreck shop...wait, they already are wrecking shop. Let's let them get to full health and then see if they can wreck shop better.

UnWantedTheory
11-18-2010, 03:38 AM

Damn right we are.

duncan228
11-18-2010, 04:12 AM
Notes on a scorecard: Why playing Wednesday was good for Parker’s psyche (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/18/notes-on-a-scorecard-why-playing-was-good-for-parkers-soul/)
by Tim Griffin

...It was interesting that the only Spur who did not see action was Tiago Splitter. Splitter was in good shape in the locker room, but it just seemed like the pace of the game didn’t suit his skills. Popovich was hesitant to bring him in during the first-half struggles. And when the offense was humming with Bonner and Antonio McDyess, Popovich didn’t want to change his chemistry.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/11/18/notes-on-a-scorecard-why-playing-was-good-for-parkers-soul/

alex_tru
11-18-2010, 04:20 AM
I think pop is teach him something, he need to stop a while to seeback what he have done, and he learn more.

lefty20
11-18-2010, 04:30 AM

+1:toast

The way Bonner's been shooting the 3 ball it would be stupid not to play him. There's 72 games remaining on the schedule, I highly doubt Bonner will keep shooting at 80%+ for too long. There is plenty of time for Pop to get Splitter acclimated to the system/rotation.

Obstructed_View
11-18-2010, 05:09 AM
True, but it is kinda tough not to play Bonner atm...and he did a pretty decent job tonight.

It's nice to have him in the game when he's hitting threes, but he shouldn't be the first big off the bench any more than Blair should be the starting center. What's scary is that with the way Blair stunk it up tonight, Pop's probably going to start Bonner instead of Splitter. Fucking retarded.

TJastal
11-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Just watching the game now, 1st quarter and Blair has already gotten a putback, and his presence going up for rebounds got the spurs two extra possessions on deflections off bulls players. These are the types of things that are going to help the spurs win tough ballgames, especially come playoff time.

Agloco
11-18-2010, 08:38 AM

Anyone who knows Pop knows that he's got a "Boner for Bonner" and will play him at any cost......

Seriously though? Matchups. Red Rocket did ok actually.

alchemist
11-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Blair took a step back, Splitter needs to play

TJastal
11-18-2010, 08:51 AM
I have a solution to this.

If Pop wants to ride Bonner's hot hand, fine. But I don't think dropping Blair out of the rotation is a good idea though.

Only other feasible option in order to get Splitter some PT is letting him cut into Dice's minutes. Dice is a 2nd half type player anyway, there's really no reason to burn him now, unless the spurs start losing games because of Splitter. Let the old guy rest, Pop.

doobs
11-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Come playoffs time, Bonner/Blair/McDyess need to be situational players only. 10-15 minutes per game. Bonner for the 3s and stretching the floor. Blair for the infusion of energy and the offensive boards. McDyess for the the usual solid few minutes he's capable of providing on both ends, or for the occasional individual defensive assignment (e.g., Dirk).

We need Twin Towers when the real season starts, if only for the defense.

dunkman
11-18-2010, 09:06 AM

He picked 3 fouls in 2 minutes against the Thunder, then returned for a minute or two in garbage time.

Against the Bulls, of the 96 minutes available @ PF&C, Duncan, Blair, Dice and Bonner played 84 minutes. I guess, Jefferson played 12 minutes at 4. One of the bigs won't play some games.

About the Lakers bigs, McDyess is listed 6'9", but he's actually more than that barefoot. His true height is around 6'11" in shoes. He and Tim will do fine against Bynum and Gasol. For Odom, the Spurs can use Splitter or Jefferson switching Blair or Dice to guard Artest, who is strength more than speed. I don't think Pop will use Bonner against the Lakers.

SenorSpur
11-18-2010, 09:12 AM

True dat.

Fabbs
11-18-2010, 09:26 AM

Eric_Park will you pose behind the Spurs bench with the Bonner/Pop wedding pics emblazoned on your t-shirt?

I'm still waiting for an answer.

TJastal
11-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Here's my 2nd quarter commentary.....for anyone interested.

McDyess tip in basket. McDyess's defense cause Noah to miss layup. McDyess offensive rebound off Bonner bricked runner. Deng luckily misses 3, Bonner for some reason got doubled off and was late getting back to Deng. Neal nice runner in the lane. Again Bonner loses Deng on the top of the key but luckily travels with a little pressure from George Hill. SCORE CHI 27 SA 22.

Neal gets a good pass from Dice but misses easy paint shot, Bonner called for over the back on Noah trying to muscle in for the rebound (typical Bonner foul, barely any contact.) McDyess bad outlet pass turnover. Gary Neal weak attempt to fight through a half-ass screen Korver converts a short jumper. Hill misses contested jumper. Neal gets a nice steal to make amends. Manu misses circus layup attempt, Hill rebounds and is fouled, makes only 1 FT however. Bonner & McDyess good defense to force a bad shot by Omer Ashik. Bonner drains a 3pt from top of key. Crowd is pumped. Bonner stupidly doubles off Deng to RJ's man, leaving Deng open for 3, which he drains. Ginobili drive & foul, 2 FT. CJ Watson brick. Jefferson just misses 3pt shot top of key then commits phantom foul on Deng going the other way (he's playing power forward now, Bonner is out of game). SCORE CHI 34 SA 28.

Bulls go on a run with the spurs playing small ball (why, Pop??), RJ can't make shot and makes several defensive miscues during this time. Spurs take time out. SCORE CHI 43 SA 28.

Pop comes back with Bonner @ power forward w/ Duncan. Immediately Jefferson makes a great block, swatting Ashik's driving layup and starting fast break other way. After Duncan misses in the low block, Ashik scores a dunk on a bad decision by Duncan on a P&R. Bonner tries to rotate over, but he's guarding Deng and really can't leave him. Things look really really bleak now, all of a sudden Hill drills a 3 and gets fouled for a 4pt play. CHI lead back to 14 after that. Rose P&R sets up a Deng wide open 3, but he misses, Bonner tried to close out on him, may have distracted just enough. Hill offensive foul on Korver (was close).

Duncan blocks Rose, sets up fast break for Parker who finishes and gets fouled for 3pt play. Bonner good defense on Deng drive, causes a miss. Parker gets fouled on a drop off pass from Bonner, makes 1 of 2 FT. Rose makes a runner, Parker responds with a another layup/foul and missed FT.

Rose misses runner, Bonner (thinking he's Jordan) jumps too early, allows Deng offensive rebound, luckily Bogans bricks a layup, Duncan courageously fights off Noah for the rebound (which for a second made me so proud of Timmy) and starts a fast break the other way that results in Ginobili getting a pair of free throws, which of course he misses both of them.

Spurs majorly luck out in the final seconds of the quarter, playing small ball w/ RJ @ PF again, Noah, just misses a tap in at the buzzer (could have been a momentum changer). SCORE CHI 47 SA 37

MI21
11-18-2010, 10:32 AM
I like Matt Bonner. He is good enough to be a low-end rotation player on a decent team. During the regular season, he is actually pretty valuable. I don't mind him for 10MPG during the playoffs.

But Matt Bonner is fools gold. In the playoffs against the Lakers, Phil Jackson and the Lakers will dare him to take outside shots. He may even make a few, but it won't be enough to offset his deficiencies. We have seen it before and it isn't pretty.

Pop needs to realise that even if Bonner plays to his full potential, it is not going to be enough against the Gasol/Bynum/Odom frontcourt. Duncan/McDyess/Splitter (I also have hope for Blair) has a chance to contain the Lakers frontcourt so the sooner those three develop some regular play patterns, the sooner they become an even better combination.

Mark in Austin
11-18-2010, 11:03 AM

I'm happy for Bonner, and I hope he keeps it up. Historically, he's folded in pressure situations so I have my doubts about him. But I hope he proves me wrong.

Is it not reasonable to be concerned about a player being a major part of the rotation and offensive strategy whose past performances in big moments have been so underwhelming?

Marcus Bryant
11-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Contrary to popular opinion Bonner is a nice role player to have and is not overpaid.

That said, Bonner is a role player and that role is spreading the floor during the regular season with his range from the 4 spot. I have no doubt that he helps the Spurs win regular season games they otherwise would not, which, of course, helps with playoff seeding and ultimately increasing the number of playoff series with homecourt advantage.

The problem lies in the postseason for Bonner, in which a 7 game series allows opponents to pinpoint the team's weakness and exploit it. Bonner's D and non-clutch shooting is one such weakness.

Again, one need not be a playoff superhero to have real value. And I don't think that Pop & Co. do not realize Bonner's limitations. The problem in the recent past has been that the Spurs had been light in the frontcourt rotation. That is no longer a concern.

There's definitely a spot for Bonner in the rotation. Provided it's during November through March.

TJastal
11-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Here's my 3rd quarter commentary... for anyone interested.

Bonner starting 2nd half, Ginobili drains a 3 to open things, great screen by Duncan, just levels Bogans with his shoulder (probably an offensive foul on almost any other player but hey its Tim Duncan). Deng misses jumper, Duncan converts a bank shot. CHI lead down to 5. Jefferson makes a great step over to intercept a pass, Bonner makes a good entry pass to Duncan but just misses hook shot. Rose drains a long 2. Parker misses jumper. Rose misses jumper.

Ginobili brilliant driving layup, goes right by the shitty defense of Keith Bogans who should know by now Manu always goes left. Parker almost intercepts a pass (he's really looking to play the passing lanes lately). Bonner almost causes a Noah turnover. Gibson finally fumbles an inbounds pass and spurs fast break the other way, resulting in a layup for Manu. CHI looks really flat at this point. Lead down to 3. Gibson backs Bonner down, Duncan has to leave Noah to help, and Noah gets an offensive putback to quiet the momentum.

Bonner takes a Parker handoff and almost travels with the basketball, doing his dipsy-do little drive into the lane then stop and look for someone to throw the ball too. Jefferson misses a runner. Bonner good help defense on Noah, surprisingly isn't whistled for a foul, causes a miss and fast break the other way where RJ gets a pair of free throws on a good drive to the hoop, sidestepping nicely to avoid a charge.

Bonner with more good defense, this time switching onto Bogans and blanketing the shot attempt (of course, its Bogans though). Duncan battling Noah valiantly again in the block for the rebound. RJ makes a corner 3 on a swing pass from Bonner to tie the game. Rose misses a P&R 20 footer, Parker does a great job of going under the screen and challenging, I think causing the miss.

Bonner misses running layup, but Duncan there to clean up. Gibson luckily bricks a wide open jumper, Bonner late getting back to him on P&R. Duncan makes layup from nice pass from Manu. David Robinson whistling and cheering from the stands (and his whistle is loud enough to hear through the tv). After a few misses from both teams, Parker drills a jumper from the foul line.

Bonner again has to help on a Rose/Deng P&R but IMO is way too late getting back, and luckily Deng bricks the wide open 3. Tim Duncan again outbattles the best rebounder in basketball for the rebound. :hat

Bonner beats the buzzer w/ a short jumper in the lane that my grandma could have made (Noah left him to double TD). Nice, quick release helped him there, to his credit.

Bonner gets picked off and ends up on Noah, who takes him into the post and scores with a lefty baby hook.

Bonner drills a corner 3 on a nice pass from RJ. Korver misses a screen curl jumper, Hill closes out nicely, contests, and IMO causes the miss. Parker makes a brilliant driving lefty layup (suck a dick EVA). Parker's demeanor this whole game has been different than I've ever seen. There is no smile, no frown, just total focus on basketball. Even Pop's demeanor looks different tonight to me. There is a sharpness to his stare, imposing & intimidating, yet perfectly calm at the same time. SCORE SA 64 CHI 53.

Bonner is again hit with the Rose/Deng P&R, and is once again late getting back and Deng takes him to the hoop this time and Noah draws a foul but misses both FT's. Parker misses jumper, & Rose makes a driving layup on the other end. Pop calls a good timeout at this point, spurs look a little winded here. Out of timeout, Bonner sets a Bonner like-pick at the top of the key & Manu takes it in for a dunk. Luckily all Manu needed was a half a step on his man. Watching Manu slam it down made me scream out loud!!! I was so happy to see he still has IT.

And again, Bonner helps too much on the P&R, (he actually sat guarding NOBODY for 2 seconds like he was confused) and is late getting back but luckily Deng bricks yet another wide open 3 (yep you've heard this before). Hill goes up high for the rebound and starts the fastbreak, taking it to the lane and finishing with a nice floater. (fuck you Hill haters.)

Deng misses yet another wide open 3 pointer, this time Bonner was caught sagging into the lane, and couldn't close out in time, but gets his own rebound and dishes to Rose for the score.

Ginobili bad pass turnover. Korver misses a couple of J's (Neal good defense on one). RJ takes it strong to the rack and gets 2 FT. Rose blows by Neal who doesn't even attempt to play defense & scores a layup. Hill makes another nice running floater, this time on the baseline. Ginobili makes a better pass this time, & Duncan scores. Neal defends Brewer on the last possession, and causes a turnover.

doobs
11-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Contrary to popular opinion Bonner is a nice role player to have and is not overpaid.

That said, Bonner is a role player and that role is spreading the floor during the regular season with his range from the 4 spot. I have no doubt that he helps the Spurs win regular season games they otherwise would not, which, of course, helps with playoff seeding and ultimately increasing the number of playoff series with homecourt advantage.

The problem lies in the postseason for Bonner, in which a 7 game series allows opponents to pinpoint the team's weakness and exploit it. Bonner's D and non-clutch shooting is one such weakness.

Again, one need not be a playoff superhero to have real value. And I don't think that Pop & Co. do not realize Bonner's limitations. The problem in the recent past has been that the Spurs had been light in the frontcourt rotation. That is no longer a concern.

There's definitely a spot for Bonner in the rotation. Provided it's during November through March.

I agree with this, though I'm not so sure Bonner will diminish so much during the playoffs. People don't appreciate how his outside shooting helps the Spurs transition D.

I think he and Blair will be the 4th/5th bigs, with McDyess not far ahead of them.

TJastal
11-18-2010, 11:44 AM
If Luol Deng hadn't been bricking wide open 3's (he had them all night thx to Bonner) that game could have easily ended up in the loss column.

Dr. Gonzo
11-18-2010, 11:50 AM
If Luol Deng hadn't been bricking wide open 3's (he had them all night thx to Bonner) that game could have easily ended up in the loss column.

If my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle.

mingus
11-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Bonner still sucks. and i will continue to believe that he does until he comes through in the playoffs. and Bonner wouldn't even have been on the floor if the Bulls had Boozer. and he won't be playing against any of the great teams.

Russ
11-18-2010, 12:03 PM

Exactly right.

Bonner is an "innings eater" in baseball terminolgy -- a pitcher you use a lot during the regular season to protect your stud pitchers from overuse until the playoffs.

Every three that Bonner hits buys minutes for your other bigs on the bench. The problem comes if you fail to develop the rotation needed for the money games.

TJastal
11-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Here's my 4th quarter commentary, for anyone interested.

Pop going w/ small ball, Dice & RJ as the bigs. Brewer picks off a Hill pass and goes for a dunk (he is lightning fast on the perimeter). Hill makes amends by drilling an elbow jumper.

Ashik gets to the line and makes 2 FT on a P&R, Hill got confused on the switch, McDyess switched & he didn't.

Neal misses a 3, McDyess with the quick hands grabs the offensive rebound. Manu gets fouled, & Neal makes a beautiful floater off the glass. Korver misses a J, McDyess drills a jumper from a beautiful no-look pass from Manu. Neal & McDyess both converge to cause a turnover and gets a basket & foul. McDyess misses a top of the key jumper, & Neal does a poor job fighting through a screen which results in Watson going to the line.

McDyess called for 3 seconds in the lane after executing a poor P&R with Hill. (Hello Pop .. do you know you have a guy named Splitter on the team??)
Rose penetrates and thx to small ball makes another floater in the lane, cutting the spur lead to 12. (Hello Pop??)

Parker calmly lays off a beautiful pass to McDyess who dunks it with authority. Rose drills another jumper on the perimeter, spurs appear to be playing a zone type defense now with the micro-ball lineup of Parker, Neal, and Hill w/ RJ & Dice.

Neal catches and shoots a top of the key 3 and misses badly. Rose pulls up and hits a long 2 (easily could have been a 3 foot was on line) cutting lead to 6 (could have been 5). Thanks, small ball & retarded zone defense!!

Hill makes a pass to Neal, RJ flashed by, and Neal wasn't expecting the pass, turnover. (Seriously, why is Pop even playing this lineup, its retarded IMO). Why wasn't Tiago Splitter called upon in this stretch where the spurs almost blew a huge lead???) Here I was all crooning and complimentary to Pop who was brilliant in the 3rd quarter, and now has sucked donkeyballs in the 4th with his small ball lineups and defensive schemes. :madrun

Rose hits an amazing 3 to bring the bulls to 7. Duncan misses jumper. Scalabrine misses 3, McDyess great box out and draws a foul. Duncan misses turnaround, but spurs get another possession thx to McDyess drawing a loose ball foul on Scalabrine. Ginobili cans a 3.

Hill good defense on Rose forcing a miss, Duncan again outmuscles Noah for the rebound. Parker squirts in for a layup before bulls could set their defense.
Watson hits a jumper. Parker lays off a pass to Hill in the corner for a 3 (and looks like he is fouled AGAIN but no call). Duncan gets a technical foul for showing the refs their was contact on the shot. Total bullshit call by a crew of bullshit refs.

Now Deng makes a runner in the lane, Duncan responds with a jumper. Deng again drives this time elbows Hill in the chest and what should have been an offensive foul turns into free throws for Louellen Deng.

Spurs 24 second violation, too much passing. Rose misses 3, Noah finally outmuscles Duncan for a rebound and draws a foul but misses both free throws. Duncan misses a jumper, Noah travels, caused by Manu's pressure defense. Spurs again too much passing (bulls cranking up the defense now), Parker turns the ball over. Watson makes a driving layup.

2 minutes left, I'm thinking.. it's time for a little Manu... and Manu didn't dissappoint..... behind the back all the way to the rim SLAM DUNK BABY. HOLY SHIT that was an exciting play!

Korver drains a 3, Parker a little late closing out. Another turnover, but bulls can't convert (Deng misses).

Parker abuses CJ Watson on a wing jumper. Rose cans another 3. Parker fouled 2 free throws for Parker, Jefferson with a great offensive rebound. Bulls stupidly foul Ginobili for 2 more free throws.

Duncan great defense on Deng, corrals the rebound & spurs go to the line once again to close out the game basically.

Chomag
11-18-2010, 02:49 PM
I agree with this, though I'm not so sure Bonner will diminish so much during the playoffs. People don't appreciate how his outside shooting helps the Spurs transition D.

Have you been watching the spurs in the playoffs since Bonner has been on the teams rotation?

jjktkk
11-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Look at it this way. Because in recent seasons the Spurs had pratically no front court depth, Bonner played irreguardless if his shot was falling or not. This year, with much better front court depth, Bonner will have a much shorter leash IMO. So come playoff time, whatever Bonner contributes wiill be iceing on the cake. I love the Spurs over all front court depth and the versatility each front court player brings. Come March I can see Splitter being a regular rotation guy, if not in the start lineup, depending on that particular oppenent.

Spurs Brazil
11-18-2010, 05:20 PM

1. Duncan
2. Splitter
3. McDyess
4. Bonner
5. Blair

Great post, Harlem, agree 100%

jjktkk
11-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Pops is a dumb ass when it comes to his refusing big men. Blair sucks. He has no offensive game at all. Gets his shit stuffed all night, is not giving us second chance points and cant defend.......We need to deal him or run him on the second team.

I hope Splitters lack of PT is just to make sure he doesnt reinjure himself.

What do you mean refusing big men? I would think most hetersexual men would refuse big men. Now that that topic is outta the way, did you realistically think Splitter would be a instant 20/20 guy from the start? No training camp, no preseason, and you want Pop just to put em in and just let Splitter dominate like a young Duncan huh? You seem a bit delusional.

silverblk mystix
11-18-2010, 06:55 PM
He picked 3 fouls in 2 minutes against the Thunder, then returned for a minute or two in garbage time.

Against the Bulls, of the 96 minutes available @ PF&C, Duncan, Blair, Dice and Bonner played 84 minutes. I guess, Jefferson played 12 minutes at 4. One of the bigs won't play some games.

About the Lakers bigs, McDyess is listed 6'9", but he's actually more than that barefoot. His true height is around 6'11" in shoes. He and Tim will do fine against Bynum and Gasol. For Odom, the Spurs can use Splitter or Jefferson switching Blair or Dice to guard Artest, who is strength more than speed. I don't think Pop will use Bonner against the Lakers.

The last time that the spurs played the lakers was this past march or april...it was a sunday game at l.a.

The spurs played well and the game turned into a blowout. Timmy and Dice played big and more than outplayed Gasoft/Glassnum.

The biggest two surprises IMO-was RJ manhandling Odumb and -believe it or not- Bonner was on Artest and completely neutralized him. I think Pop has this in mind and he has kinda figured out the laker puzzle.

I am the biggest Bonner hater-I freely admit it....but Bonner on Artest actually
worked! I couldn't believe it myself-but watch the game for yourself.

There is no way that Pop will do what some are suggesting here-which is that Pop will only play Bonner through March and then somehow-Pop will wake up and relegate Bonner to the bench in favor of Tiago for the playoffs.

It is the same reasoning that was used when Bonner was re-signed and many posters here said that it was a good signing-provided that Pop only use Bonner sparingly. Well, guess what...for better or worse...Bonner has already eaten into both Blair and Splitter's minutes. Bonner will probably start from tomorrow on....until....who knows.

JustinJDW
11-18-2010, 07:31 PM
I think Duncan, Dice and Splitter should be our main three bigs, with either Dice or Splitter starting. Blair and Bonner can split minutes as the 4th big, all depending on who the opponent is and game situation.

Bottom line, Splitter needs to be a big part of this team if we are going to go anywhere in the Playoffs. Lets be honest, if Bonner and Blair are both getting 20 minutes a game, then that's probably not a good thing. Overall, Duncan, Dice and Splitter are clearly our best bigs and especially on the defensive end.

Bonner and Blair should be the guys splitting minutes, depending on what situation we are in during the game and what we need. Blair for rebounding, energy, hustle and scrappy defense. And Bonner obviously for spreading the floor and knocking down that automatic 3-ball. But either way, Duncan, Dice and Splitter should be the guys with guaranteed minutes every night. And their is no need to worry about Blair's development. Dice is retiring after this Season, so Blair is probably going to eat up all the minutes after that.

But no way we can play Blair big minutes against the Lakers and Celtics. Those guys have loaded frontcourts with Gasol, Bynum, KG, Shaq, Jermain O'neal and so on. Honestly, Pop can't be planning to start 6'6 Blair against those guys and possibly expect good results. If he honestly expects a positive result out of that, then I fear for this team. Blair has been getting his shit swatted all Season long so far against guys like Taj Gibson. The thought of Blair trying to shake Gasol with some weird footwork, half traveling and then putting up some awkward and forced shot just for it to get easily double-swatted by Gasol and Bynum just makes me cringe and shake my head.

DAF86
11-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Because Pop named Blair the starter, McDyess is balling right now and Bonner has a different skillset compared to our other bigs (one that Pop is really fond of), add Tim Duncan and we already have a 4 bigmen rotation, Splitter is the odd man out, he will have his PT against certain teams (LA for example) to match up their size, but if our bigs keep playing the way they're playing right now, I don't see a lot of PT in his near future.

Bruno
11-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Splitter will be Spurs' best bigman behind Tim at the end of the season. A NBA season is damn long so it's too soon to worry about him not getting playing time. Spurs will start a 10 games in 17 days stretch tomorrow @Utah, I expect Pop to start giving more rest to Tim and Dice..

TJastal
11-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Splitter will be Spurs' best bigman behind Tim at the end of the season. A NBA season is damn long so it's too soon to worry about him not getting playing time. Spurs will start a 10 games in 17 days stretch tomorrow @Utah, I expect Pop to start giving more rest to Tim and Dice..

I disagree, its not too early to start worrying. Pop had the perfect opportunity to use Splitter last night to begin the 4th quarter but instead chose to use a micro-ball lineup which nearly blew a 20 point lead in about 6 minutes flat.

This is why Pop has so many haters, because he pulls this shit time and time again.

z0sa
11-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Splitter: Getting his legs back. Spurs have just entered a tough stretch of the schedule. He'll be fine, CIA Pop just being himself as usual. Bonner, Blair and Splitter will eat more and more time. Until playoffs, of course.

amigos21
11-18-2010, 09:32 PM
I hope Splitter gets some more playing time soon. Love watching him play.

jjktkk
11-18-2010, 09:43 PM
I disagree, its not too early to start worrying. Pop had the perfect opportunity to use Splitter last night to begin the 4th quarter but instead chose to use a micro-ball lineup which nearly blew a 20 point lead in about 6 minutes flat.

This is why Pop has so many haters, because he pulls this shit time and time again.

How many haters does he have? So many? How many is that? Every Spurs fan I talk too other than on ST, think people that hate Pop, must be ignorant and sniff model glue.

TJastal
11-18-2010, 10:03 PM
How many haters does he have? So many? How many is that? Every Spurs fan I talk too other than on ST, think people that hate Pop, must be ignorant and sniff model glue.

Who's that, your uncle Dilbert and aunt Delilah?

dougp
11-18-2010, 10:27 PM

You DO realize that Bonner was double teaming Rose, right? And I'm pretty sure that's a decision made by Pop. Blame someone for not rotating to Deng ...

jjktkk
11-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Who's that, your uncle Dilbert and aunt Delilah?

You need to climb out of your moms basement and go to a local sports bar. Meet some knowledgable sports fans with common sense. You will be in for a rude awakening.

jjktkk
11-18-2010, 10:42 PM
You DO realize that Bonner was double teaming Rose, right? And I'm pretty sure that's a decision made by Pop. Blame someone for not rotating to Deng ...

Tjastal is just one of those guys who fantasizes about knowing more about the Spurs than a future hall of fame coach. He tries to come up with valid arguements, but he usually just inserts his foot in his mouth.

TJastal
11-18-2010, 10:46 PM

If Pop wanted an extra rotation I'm sure he would have called a timeout at the first wide open Deng 3. Obviously it was Bonner's responsiblity to give help to Rose's defender and then recover back to Deng. And every single time, Bonner way over-helped on Rose and left 40% 3pt marksman Deng easy looks, which fortunately he was clanking.

TJastal
11-18-2010, 10:53 PM
You need to climb out of your moms basement and go to a local sports bar. Meet some knowledgable sports fans with common sense. You will be in for a rude awakening.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4672/3904394731cb04299456z.jpg

Is this your favorite haunt, jjktkk? I'm sure Cletus and Jed taught you everything you know about the spurs, amongst other things..

gospursgojas
11-18-2010, 11:00 PM
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4672/3904394731cb04299456z.jpg

Is this your favorite haunt, jjktkk? I'm sure Cletus and Jed taught you everything you know about the spurs, amongst other things..

Is this a joke? Bc I'd actually like my garage to look that sweet

TD 21
11-18-2010, 11:02 PM
It is about the big picture, so why all the ranting about Splitter not playing? Its November, not April. Splitter will be brought about slowly and will continue to solidfy his spot in the rotation. Geez people some of you need to relax.

Had you comprehended my posts in this thread, you wouldn't be asking this question.

hitmanyr2k
11-18-2010, 11:31 PM

I don't think criticizing a coach's decisions means they're a hater...especially when those criticisms have merit. I think Spurs fans have a legit concern with Splitter's development because for the last 2+ seasons they have watched Popovich play musical chairs with the rotation and pull weird lineups out of his ass that have been a detriment to the team's success. Optimists think Splitter will be in heavy rotation by seasons end. From what I've seen of Popovich the last few seasons I think Bonner will still be playing a very significant role in SA's postseason. For reasons I can't understand Popovich loves that guy warts and all :lol

TJastal
11-18-2010, 11:56 PM
I don't think criticizing a coach's decisions means they're a hater...especially when those criticisms have merit. I think Spurs fans have a legit concern with Splitter's development because for the last 2+ seasons they have watched Popovich play musical chairs with the rotation and pull weird lineups out of his ass that have been a detriment to the team's success. Optimists think Splitter will be in heavy rotation by seasons end. From what I've seen of Popovich the last few seasons I think Bonner will still be playing a very significant role in SA's postseason. For reasons I can't understand Popovich loves that guy warts and all :lol

Bonner has genital warts? Talk about a firecrotch..

UnWantedTheory
11-19-2010, 01:14 AM
There are just some people who watch a different game than others. No matter the reasoning of Pop, some will always think they know better. Just the way it is.

jjktkk
11-19-2010, 02:01 AM
Had you comprehended my posts in this thread, you wouldn't be asking this question.

I comprehended that you expect, 2 weeks into the season, that Splitter should be a regular rotation guy. Which might be asking alot of a rookie who missed all of training camp and the preseason, recovering from injuries. I'm sure the Spurs want to make sure Splitter is fully recovered before, which he seems to be fully healthy. By Splitter not playing the other night, and by reading an article posted by Duncan228 earlier in this thread (#65), I understand why Splitter did not play. I think if you show alittle patience, you will see Splitter work his way into the rotation and even become a starter.

jjktkk
11-19-2010, 02:03 AM
There are just some people who watch a different game than others. No matter the reasoning of Pop, some will always think they know better. Just the way it is.

Very true. But with all the armchair coaches on here, overanalyzing why Splitter didn't play the other night, you'd think the Spurs are 1-9, instead of 9-1.

FuzzyLumpkins
11-19-2010, 02:17 AM
If Pop wanted an extra rotation I'm sure he would have called a timeout at the first wide open Deng 3. Obviously it was Bonner's responsiblity to give help to Rose's defender and then recover back to Deng. And every single time, Bonner way over-helped on Rose and left 40% 3pt marksman Deng easy looks, which fortunately he was clanking.

Did it occur to you that when a guy is clanging three after three the smart thing to do is to pack the paint and invite him to clang another?

jjktkk
11-19-2010, 02:45 AM
Did it occur to you that when a guy is clanging three after three the smart thing to do is to pack the paint and invite him to clang another?

Hey my fellow Cowboyszoner, whats up? I think Tjastal wants to be called coach Tjastal, he can teaach Pop a thing or 2 about basketball.

TJastal
11-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Hey my fellow Cowboyszoner, whats up? I think Tjastal wants to be called coach Tjastal, he can teaach Pop a thing or 2 about basketball.

Speaking of learning new things, has Jed taught you anything new at the haunt? Like after when he says "pucker up" and then takes you to the backseat of the ol' ford?

dbestpro
11-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Very true. But with all the armchair coaches on here, overanalyzing why Splitter didn't play the other night, you'd think the Spurs are 1-9, instead of 9-1.

Maybe, everyone would not left to guess the reasons if Pop would just explain to the loyal and faithful.

jjktkk
11-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Maybe, everyone would not left to guess the reasons if Pop would just explain to the loyal and faithful.

Read post #65 on this thread. Might help.

Solid D
11-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Splitter may have been the odd man out, that is if his leg isn't bothering him, but I think the reason Pop didn't play Splitter is that the Spurs needed to score. The Bulls were collapsing the middle with their size. They often used what was essentially a matchup zone in the first half.

Splitter isn't a perimeter threat offensively and the Spurs needed to score, so Bonner was the perfect choice for what was ailing them. The Bulls legs gave out on them in the 2nd half, fortunately, so their shots didn't fall and the Spurs were able to get into the lane on the Bulls with their 2nd Big pulled outside.

With that said, Pop's Prerogative is really the only vote that counts.

SCdac
11-19-2010, 03:55 PM
We drafted this dude over 2 years ago, and he's got some of the best basketball instincts on the team (he could probably be starting for a few teams right now). Hopefully he isn't given the "George Hill rookie treatment" where it turns out that just because he's a rookie doesn't mean he can't contribute in the here and now. The thought of Matt Bonner's minutes coming at the expense of Splitter's... is pretty dampening. At the very least, let these guys play together (inside-out), let them build some chemistry. I hate the shift the Spurs have gone to the last few seasons, the "let's use offense to dig our way out of problems". If the Spurs are going to win this season, it'll be because Splitter has become a huge part - in both big and small lineups. His mobility and ability to run the floor isn't lacking. We've seen what Bonner can give us in a 20 mpg kind of role, his recent play is not new and his game doesn't look any different, back in 09 he had double scoring in wins against LA, Dallas, OKC, Denver. But we also got bounced in the first round while lacking a Nazr Mohammed or (younger) Fabricio Oberto kind of presence in the starting unit, and relying on Bonner to be a key tool (big mistake). Hopefully, Pop sees the light and Splitter could eventually fill that role, and like I said, there should be no reason Tiago and Bonner can't be on the court together.

Solid D
11-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Also, same reason Blair didn't get a sniff in the second half until ovation time for TD, TP, Gino and RJ with 22 seconds left. The Bulls know McDyess can score from 18-19 feet, so he got PT.

jjktkk
11-19-2010, 04:00 PM
We drafted this dude over 2 years ago, and he's got some of the best basketball instincts on the team (he could probably be starting for a few teams right now). Hopefully he isn't given the "George Hill rookie treatment" where it turns out that just because he's a rookie doesn't mean he can't contribute in the here and now. The thought of Matt Bonner's minutes coming at the expense of Splitter's... is pretty dampening. At the very least, let these guys play together (inside-out), let them build some chemistry. I hate the shift the Spurs have gone to the last few seasons, the "let's use offense to dig our way out of problems". If the Spurs are going to win this season, it'll be because Splitter has become a huge part - in both big and small lineups. His mobility and ability to run the floor isn't lacking. We've seen what Bonner can give us in a 20 mpg kind of role, his recent play is not new and his game doesn't look any different, back in 09 he had double scoring in wins against LA, Dallas, OKC, Denver. But we also got bounced in the first round while lacking a Nazr Mohammed or (younger) Fabricio Oberto kind of presence in the starting unit, and relying on Bonner to be a key tool (big mistake). Hopefully, Pop sees the light and Splitter could eventually fill that role, and like I said, there should be no reason Tiago and Bonner can't be on the court together.

I see that happening as the season rolls along, but some on here are alittle impatient and want Splitter out there now. For me personally, I'm estatic that the Spurs are 9-1 and I have full confidence that Splitter will be a key contributer this season.

11-19-2010, 04:04 PM
for the spurs to compete with the lakers they need splitter to get acclimated as soon as possible. none of this BS sitting him on the bench without any minutes. blair and bonner may be decent but they don't provide the size and defense the spurs will need.

Solid D
11-19-2010, 04:10 PM
for the spurs to compete with the lakers they need splitter to get acclimated as soon as possible. none of this BS sitting him on the bench without any minutes. blair and bonner may be decent but they don't provide the size and defense the spurs will need.

True, unless the Spurs are having trouble scoring. I believe the reason Bonner was re-signed was his impact on the offense, even when he isn't scoring himself and at a relatively fair price (slightly cheaper than Splitter).

Splitter will have many more chances to shine. If Timmy gets dinged or needs rest on a b2b, he'll REALLY have his chances.

SCdac
11-19-2010, 04:27 PM
I see that happening as the season rolls along, but some on here are alittle impatient and want Splitter out there now. For me personally, I'm estatic that the Spurs are 9-1 and I have full confidence that Splitter will be a key contributer this season.

I too am happy about the record (a high seeding, as the big 3 get older, means more and more), but as we know, the regular season record isn't everything. It def doesn't mean everything to me. The last three seasons we've had varying degrees of 50-win teams, but have failed to get it done in the post season. This sounds weird, but I'd rather be winning by a small margin, while fully integrating our newest players (Splitter, Neal, Anderson, etc), than winning by a larger margin, while using essentially the same lineups/combo's we've used in the past couple seasons (ie. Duncan/Bonner, Blair/Bonner)... I too have full confidence in Gregg Popovich's (and his staff's) methods and planning, I'm just hoping that Splitter on the squad could get us back to playing a more traditional (high-low, pick and rolls, alley oops) and physical (put-backs, offensive boards, high-% FG's, paint protection) brand of basketball, versus jump shooting our way to wins and aiming mostly to out-gun teams with our heavily relied upon spacing and three point shooting.... Having said all that, they're probably just trying to ease him in slowly and let him watch (I'm not tripping that much) since he didn't play all pre-season... But the guy is one of the youngest and best bigs on the team - it's going to take a whole season for him to build chemistry, not two months before the playoffs or something of the like.

dbestpro
11-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Read post #65 on this thread. Might help.

Speculation by Tim Griffen is no different that one of the many opinions on this board.

Chomag
11-19-2010, 04:52 PM

Well it is called a forum after all isn't it? Of course Pop's call is the only thing that matters. However as fans of the Spurs, and of the game, we do have the right to have free-thinking and just talk about it as normal people(well some of us think we are normal). I believe thet is why the admins created this site to begin with so that normal people can just talk. They could have just made it a Spurs news site for reporting only if thats what you would like it to be.

They are just opinions, nothing more nothing less, and opinions are subjective. And at the end of the day that all we are, just fans, and why is it so hard for us to respect each other here?

If some of you guys had it your way there would be no reason to even have a forum, As we can not question anything unless it's something "YOU" agree with I guess.

Solid D
11-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Notes on a scorecard: Why playing Wednesday was good for Parker’s psyche
by Tim Griffin

...It was interesting that the only Spur who did not see action was Tiago Splitter. Splitter was in good shape in the locker room, but it just seemed like the pace of the game didn’t suit his skills. Popovich was hesitant to bring him in during the first-half struggles. And when the offense was humming with Bonner and Antonio McDyess, Popovich didn’t want to change his chemistry.
If Pop thought the offense was humming with McDyess and Bonner, I wonder what he though about the offense with Timmy and Bonner as the Bigs.

When Bonner came in to play with Timmy, Spurs down by 15 points (28-43) the Spurs were able to cut the lead to 10 at the half. Then Timmy and Bonner started the 2nd half with more of the same and by the time Jefferson came in for Matt with a minute left to play in the 3rd quarter, the Spurs were up by 9 (57-68). That was a 24-point turn-around right there with Timmy and Matty.

polandprzem
11-19-2010, 05:11 PM
jeez it's a long season and splitter can start on the 1st January and I will be happy about it

Bonner is now in the zone and to start the season it's all good to take advantage of it. With winning and with Splitter getting more rest to his body.

So many ppl were happy that brazil lost so tiago could get the rest.
Now if he can have that opportunity everybody are :madrun

Solid D
11-19-2010, 05:15 PM

'Sup? (translated: Hello, how are you?) polandprzem? :p:

This entire thread is :madrun

jjktkk
11-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Speculation by Tim Griffen is no different that one of the many opinions on this board.

Unfortunately i do not have Pop's phone #. So I will just go by Griffen's speculation, since he does cover the Spurs.

polandprzem
11-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Solid U the reason I came to see what's going on in this thread ;)

Solid D
11-19-2010, 05:27 PM
przem, did you give your opinion on the greatest backcourt duo of all time, yet?

polandprzem
11-19-2010, 05:36 PM
przem, did you give your opinion on the greatest backcourt duo of all time, yet?

:D

Ohhh man you tries to squeeze posts out of me ?

it's 11:36pm and I'm going to sleep ;]

Solid D
11-19-2010, 05:43 PM
No worries. Sleep is good.

polandprzem
11-19-2010, 05:46 PM
No worries. Sleep is good.

After having a bad day a sleep is supergood

:flag:

btw. What's there to argue about those backcourts?
Y all mentioned the best

I cannot think now much but I think first Boston duo was the best regarding their skills and domination at the beginning of the league

ezau
11-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Where the fuck is Splitter? POP is so much in love with that red-headed piece of shit again.

redskinfan
11-19-2010, 10:05 PM
I am sure Tiago is thinking., what the fuck did I do? CIA Pop is back!

Obstructed_View
11-19-2010, 10:06 PM
The stupidity returns. I guess I shouldn't have declared that Splitter's starting was inevitable as I did about four days ago.

silverblk mystix
11-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Where the fuck is Splitter? POP is so much in love with that red-headed piece of shit again.

no,no no...

everyone said that Bonner signing only meant that Bonner would be the 5th big...remember...

Pop is a genius remember?

CIA pop...Bonner will NOT eat into Tiago's minutes!

Chomag
11-19-2010, 10:09 PM
I expect to see him out there the next game against Utah against Al Jefferson who likes to bang in the post.

I guess Pop has a different idea. lol

Hope to see him in the second half at least.

Obstructed_View
11-19-2010, 10:11 PM
jeez it's a long season and splitter can start on the 1st January and I will be happy about it

Bonner is now in the zone and to start the season it's all good to take advantage of it. With winning and with Splitter getting more rest to his body.

Splitter won't start on the first of January because Pop will say he doesn't have the corporate knowledge or that he doesn't have a feel for the game. All the Popsuckers will then be starting threads about how he doesn't practice well or that he must be stupid. I guess the only chance will be for Bonner to suddenly forget how to shoot, which seems fucking retarded to me, as Bonner and Splitter should NEVER be competing for minutes.

Capt Bringdown
11-19-2010, 10:12 PM
If the Spurs are going to win this season, it'll be because Splitter has become a huge part - in both big and small lineups. His mobility and ability to run the floor isn't lacking. Hopefully, Pop sees the light and Splitter could eventually fill that role, and like I said, there should be no reason Tiago and Bonner can't be on the court together.

Yep, I think if Splitter's going to be another Pop's doghouse/benchwarmer, then we've pretty much got the same lineup as last year. I don't know if Jefferson's improvement and the contributions of the other new guys will amount to much come playoff time.

Bonner's early season production is fool's gold. We know he's capable of in the playoffs (nothing).

If Splitter's not the guy, then we'll need to seem some trades, or it'll be more playoff disappointment.

What do we have to lose?

Ross Parrot
11-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Pop pulled Bonner for missing his first three-pointer. Maybe Pop has some plans for Splitter:stirpot:

Obstructed_View
11-19-2010, 10:14 PM
I think Pop just played Splitter until the "ask Pop" thing was over. Now he can go smallball and start Bonner with impunity going forward.

Chomag
11-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Splitter must not be doing well in practice. Isnt that the same excuse thing what people were saying about Ian, and Hairston?

ChumpDumper
11-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Some nice speculation in this thread.

hitmanyr2k
11-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Splitter must not be doing well in practice. Isnt that the same excuse thing what people were saying about Ian, and Hairston?

From what I've seen during my time on this forum the exact Spurstalk mantra when the new big guy doesn't play is "he doesn't know the system" and also the new big guy is too dumb to know how to rotate on defense because he "doesn't know the system".

Of course the question is if the new big doesn't play in real game situations and is allowed to make mistakes when is he ever going to learn "the system"?

Leonard Curse
11-19-2010, 10:48 PM
pops a drunk what do you expect from an alcoholic hes unpredictable

ezau
11-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Ian Mahinmi 2.0

TwelveGs210
11-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Wow..Tiago better develop a 3 point shot, because it doesn't look good at this point with Bonner hitting the 3, and now apparently he plays defense with a good steal and block so far in this game..sickening how deep this team is.

Hooks
Bonner is stretching the FUCK outta the floor tonight, knocking down 3's left and right, even driving it in for floaters! All star worthy for sure.

Russo21
:ihitStill no Splitter tonight. WTF is Pop's problem. Why bother waiting all those years and then signing the guy if we werent going to even use him.

Screw Bonner for shooting awesome the other night. I knew that Rusty haired sandwhich lover would weave his way back into the rotation ahead of Tiago. Im so happy that he is choking tonight he is shooting 0-5 so far.

Let's all cross our fingers that Bonner sucks tonight and keeps on sucking and then maybe Tiago can get some minutes. Bloody stupidity on Pop's part. There's no point babying Tiago. Throw him in the deep end and see how he goes just like he did with tony, geez:bang

To finish off the 3rd q v the jazz our big men are mcdyess and bonner and splitter hasnt played. Real fn intimidating!! Not!! Someones gotta steal Pop's bong:hat

TwelveGs210
11-19-2010, 10:54 PM
maybe we can all pitch in on a Bonner kidnapping plot..

Russo21
11-19-2010, 10:58 PM
maybe we can all pitch in on a Bonner kidnapping plot..

Brilliant idea my friend!:lol

TwelveGs210
11-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Brilliant idea my friend!:lol

I got 5 on it..

Chomag
11-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Some nice speculation in this thread.

Cool.

BlairForceDejuan
11-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Did Splitter desecrate Finley's shrine (located in Pop's office no doubt)????

Russo21
11-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Good win tonight over Utah. Great games from Timmy and Tony.

14 bench points. Thats it! Just 14 bench points on 5 for 18 shooting. Terrible!

Bonner 0-6, great stuff! :)

Splitter 0 points 0 rebounds 0 ass 0 blocks 0 steals in 0 minutes, not so great:nope

rayray2k8
11-19-2010, 11:34 PM
It just drives me nuts seeing Bonner out there for 20 minutes and Splitter just rotting away on the bench. :pctoss

Leonard Curse
11-19-2010, 11:36 PM
well if we keep splitter we have hope so my heart is with the SPURS im not a pop drone so i dont care what it takes even if me praying for bonner to have back spasms for tiagos return so be it. tiago will probably be here long after pop leaves once he doesnt have duncan to carry his worthless rotations of unathletic brown nosers. so who will we be stuck with a 35 year old bonner?? hahaha im going to the game saturday and no joke im going to take a sign with me,and if im near pop you better believe im going to tell him i didnt pay to see raptor arms

dbestpro
11-19-2010, 11:37 PM
I wonder if Splitter will get some time against Anderson V, or does Pop think that Bonner is a better matchup.

TwelveGs210
11-19-2010, 11:37 PM
17:20 0-6 0-3 0-0 -10 0 4 4 0 2 1 0 0 0 0

Lmao @ that stat line..it doesn't label any of the numbers as to what they are, but it doesn't need it.. the numbers there say it all..

benefactor
11-19-2010, 11:40 PM
So the Spurs work their ass off to get Splitter over here only to watch Pop give him the rookie treatment. Awesome.

xmas1997
11-19-2010, 11:42 PM
I hope they're not holding him out because he is on the trading block.

Ditty
11-19-2010, 11:42 PM
who gives a shit right now, there winning, until spurs lose with bonner out there then make the change so far its working, and the spurs are scoring

jeez21
11-19-2010, 11:45 PM
well i didnt read the other pages of this thread, so forgive me if its already been said,, I wish Splitter would get more playing time, BUT, he's an NBA rookie, he missed the entire preseason. Bonner, up until this game, was playing well, Dice has been playing unbelievably and the Spurs are off to their best start in franchise history,, so I say, give it some time. He'll get his playing time, and by the end of the season he'll be in the starting lineup.... I hope.

Barfunk
11-19-2010, 11:45 PM
Happy with the wins. But no Side Splitter=no pass Lakeys
Hope I'm wrong though, el oh el.

Russo21
11-19-2010, 11:48 PM
hahaha im going to the game saturday and no joke im going to take a sign with me,and if im near pop you better believe im going to tell him i didnt pay to see raptor arms

:lmaoI'll be looking out for you in the highlights!

Russo21
11-19-2010, 11:51 PM
Poor Tiago will be wishing he stayed overseas where he actually got to play the game he loves!

I suppose i wouldn't complain with free court side seats to 82 Spurs games though:lol

SpurCharger
11-20-2010, 12:07 AM
who gives a shit right now, there winning, until spurs lose with bonner out there then make the change so far its working, and the spurs are scoring
Agreed 100%!

MinuteByMinuteSports
11-20-2010, 12:08 AM
thats what we are talking about our radio show.. wheres splitter??

jag
11-20-2010, 12:08 AM
hahaha im going to the game saturday and no joke im going to take a sign with me,and if im near pop you better believe im going to tell him i didnt pay to see raptor arms

YA!! You take that sign to the game and show Pop you're not gonna take it anymore!!!

rmt
11-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Can't believe Splitter hasn't played for 2 straight games. Why isn't Popovich acclimating him to the Spurs and NBA? Sacrifice some of the regular season games if necessary. Splitter will be needed against Gasol/Bynum come playoff time.

Can't stand to see Bonner get PT while Splitter is wasted away on the bench.

DesignatedT
11-20-2010, 12:38 AM
Can't believe Splitter hasn't played for 2 straight games. Why isn't Popovich acclimating him to the Spurs and NBA? Sacrifice some of the regular season games if necessary. Splitter will be needed against Gasol/Bynum come playoff time.

Can't stand to see Bonner get PT while Splitter is wasted away on the bench.

plenty of season left.

ChumpDumper
11-20-2010, 12:42 AM
Sacrifice some of the regular season games if necessary.They have already sacrificed three regular season games.

HarlemHeat37
11-20-2010, 12:42 AM
Well, with Ian, at least we knew he was a project, and he did make a decent amount of mistakes(even though I was a big supporter of getting him on the court)..that doesn't excuse Pop, but he had his reasons..

With Splitter, it's puzzling..he has already looked solid in the minutes he has played, he's not a project..he needs experience and needs to adjust to the NBA a little, but how would he do that on the bench?..

It's still early though, so we'll see how this plays out..

jag
11-20-2010, 12:47 AM
So the Spurs work their ass off to get Splitter over here only to watch Pop give him the rookie treatment. Awesome.

The Spurs aren't being overpowered in the paint, and more importantly they are winning games. With as many talented bigs the Spurs have, they are able to use them in spot situations. I expect to see Splitter against the bigger teams (Celtics, Lakers, Magic). Splitter missed the preseason and is still learning the system. He's also looked good out on the floor, especially on defense, so there's no reason to assume he's going to be Mahinmi'd.

EricB
11-20-2010, 12:52 AM
Had Bonner been egregiously horrible tonight outside of his shooting then you'd question his mental capacity. Bonner was OK on D and was still drawing players out of the paint despite the bad shooting.

Its not like he was Roger Mason and Charlie Ward's love child out there.

EricB
11-20-2010, 12:53 AM
I wouldn't put it past Pop also thinking Splitter still needs time off with the last couple years and siding that way.

That said Pop likes Splitter and has no reason to Mahinmi him.

Chomag
11-20-2010, 12:54 AM
Thankfully it's still early but I do hope Splitter is allowed to get comfortable and get into a good rhythm. I'm just not so sure it's best to rack up alot of DNP's for a young player that is needed. Hope to see him get minutes soon.

DesignatedT
11-20-2010, 12:56 AM
If we were losing games than I could see this being an issue. Right now it is a non-issue. Were only 11 games into the season and we are 10-1. Splitter will get his opportunity.

duncan228
11-20-2010, 12:56 AM
fwiw.

meanwhile, the tiago splitter watch continues. He hasn't played in the past eight quarters as pop figures out big rotations.

jjktkk
11-20-2010, 01:52 AM
If we were losing games than I could see this being an issue. Right now it is a non-issue. Were only 11 games into the season and we are 10-1. Splitter will get his opportunity.

+1, although I find it strange Splitter is getting no burn, I do believe in the motto, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Slydragon
11-20-2010, 02:08 AM
I hope this don't play with his head and when he finally gets playing time he will suck because,

A. He don't care
B. He is to scared to mess up and piss pop off

The Truth #6
11-20-2010, 02:08 AM
We've won what...9 in a row and Tiago was getting minutes during that stretch. Not playing him is not the reason for our success.

Not sure if Pop is trying to teach him something or his foot hurts, but Tiago needs to get into shape and sitting on the bench is not going to do it.

Tomorrow's game will make things more clear. Bonner was hot for a while so I can see letting him get minutes and not yanking him too soon to shatter his wittle confidence.

jjktkk
11-20-2010, 02:52 AM
We've won what...9 in a row and Tiago was getting minutes during that stretch. Not playing him is not the reason for our success.

Not sure if Pop is trying to teach him something or his foot hurts, but Tiago needs to get into shape and sitting on the bench is not going to do it.

Tomorrow's game will make things more clear. Bonner was hot for a while so I can see letting him get minutes and not yanking him too soon to shatter his wittle confidence.

Just a guess, but I'm thinking Splitter might not have all of the defensive sets down, rotations, etc... Kinda shocked hes not playing even a few minutes a game though right now.

The Truth #6
11-20-2010, 03:19 AM
Well, Pop is a strange guy sometimes. I guess with our recent success he feels ok with screwing around with lineups. Because you know he can't help himself. Ha.

polandprzem
11-20-2010, 03:34 AM
Splitter won't start on the first of January because Pop will say he doesn't have the corporate knowledge or that he doesn't have a feel for the game. All the Popsuckers will then be starting threads about how he doesn't practice well or that he must be stupid. I guess the only chance will be for Bonner to suddenly forget how to shoot, which seems fucking retarded to me, as Bonner and Splitter should NEVER be competing for minutes.

I don't care if Splitter is starting at that point or not. But If he starts contributing on that date and will be in regular rotation I'm fine with whoever is on the floor as long as it's effective.

Same in playoffs. The minutes will depend on how good our frontcourt guys will play against specific team. It could be blair, mcDyess or Splitter.

The most important thing in November and December is to make Tiago feel comfortable and 'healthy'.

I will be worrying if until the ASB he will not gonna be making any impact on the game.

everybody is hating on Bonner but well maybe sometimes it's good to have a reg season contributor so he can take the precious minutes from the guys which gonna play much more in the playoffs huh?

jjktkk
11-20-2010, 04:09 AM
I don't care if Splitter is starting at that point or not. But If he starts contributing on that date and will be in regular rotation I'm fine with whoever is on the floor as long as it's effective.

Same in playoffs. The minutes will depend on how good our frontcourt guys will play against specific team. It could be blair, mcDyess or Splitter.

The most important thing in November and December is to make Tiago feel comfortable and 'healthy'.

I will be worrying if until the ASB he will not gonna be making any impact on the game.

everybody is hating on Bonner but well maybe sometimes it's good to have a reg season contributor so he can take the precious minutes from the guys which gonna play much more in the playoffs huh?

Obstructed view gets alittle butthurt when one of his favorite players isn't getting any burn. Last year it was Mahimni who was suppose to be our next great big man, but it sure looks like hes doing the same thing with the Mavs as he did with the Spurs. Riding pine. This year its Splitter. Although Splitter is a much more talented player who I believe will be a solid big man and a regular rotation guy, if not a spot starter. I guess since the Spurs are playing great right now, Obstructed View is just biting his tongue, waiting until the Spurs go on a losing streak so he can unleash his Pops a idiot chants.

polandprzem
11-20-2010, 04:24 AM
Comparing Splitter to Ian is incorrect

Tiago is playing basketball at high level for some years now.
Ian was always a prospect and a prospect with unknown potential

TJastal
11-20-2010, 04:57 AM
Obstructed view gets alittle butthurt when one of his favorite players isn't getting any burn. Last year it was Mahimni who was suppose to be our next great big man, but it sure looks like hes doing the same thing with the Mavs as he did with the Spurs. Riding pine. This year its Splitter. Although Splitter is a much more talented player who I believe will be a solid big man and a regular rotation guy, if not a spot starter. I guess since the Spurs are playing great right now, Obstructed View is just biting his tongue, waiting until the Spurs go on a losing streak so he can unleash his Pops a idiot chants.

Hey jjktkk, how's it going down at the haunt? Kickin' it w/ a few PBR's and comparing mullets I suppose..

FYI, it appears the mavericks could have used Mahinmi last night when they got outboarded by the bulls 59-34, Gibson & Noah accounted for 35 rebounds alone, 13 offensive.

Night before that, poor Timmy Duncan got hung out to dry once again by Pop, pretty much tasked with singlehandedly keeping the bulls off the offensive boards while Matt Bonner ran around the perimeter like a chicken with his head cut off. Good thing Duncan never wears out before the playoffs start, huh?

ceperez
11-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Yes, really strange that he has played a single second.

I mean even in garbage time against the Bulls, he didn't get to the floor!

Even Danny Green got a couple of seconds on that game.

Bender
11-20-2010, 08:55 AM
J Mc has to say "he hasn't played the past 8 quarters" rather than "he hasn't played the past 2 games" ?

benefactor
11-20-2010, 09:04 AM
J Mc has to say "he hasn't played the past 8 quarters" rather than "he hasn't played the past 2 games" ?
He's just trying to make his property sound intellectual.

ceperez
11-20-2010, 09:18 AM

Did he play during garbage time in the OK Thunder game?

benefactor
11-20-2010, 09:19 AM
The "we're 10-1 so we don't need him" argument is stupid. Splitter has played 7 of those 11 wins. It actually makes less sense to change what is obviously working.

It's no coincidence that Splitter has not played since Lord of the Sandwich went off for 21pts. Bonner is dictating Splitter's minutes and that should never happen...ever. They are two completely different players and Splitter getting into rhythm is important right now. He has to be a rotation big in the playoffs in order for the Spurs to be a contender.

We'll see what happens tonight.

ceperez
11-20-2010, 09:23 AM
The "we're 10-1 so we don't need him" argument is stupid. Splitter has played 7 of those 11 wins. It actually makes less since to change what is obviously working.

It's no coincidence that Splitter has not played since Lord of the Sandwich went off for 21pts. Bonner is dictating Splitter's minutes and that should never happen...ever. They are two completely different players and Splitter getting into rhythm is important right now. He has to be a rotation big in the playoffs in order for the Spurs to be a contender.

"Lord of the Sandwich" ... I like that!

Of course different from the original 'Earl of Sandwich".

Mark in Austin
11-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Splitter getting into rhythm is important right now. He has to be a rotation big in the playoffs in order for the Spurs to be a contender.

Agreed. If the goal this year is a ring, then Splitter has to contribute. LA is too big and Bonner's past playoff choke jobs too plentiful to not have Splitter as part of the rotation.

But my guess is he tweaked his leg again and they're not taking any chances...

ElNono
11-20-2010, 10:42 AM
It's no coincidence that Splitter has not played since Lord of the Sandwich went off for 21pts.

ElNono
11-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Let me add, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tiago getting burn whenever Pop decides it's time to start resting the vets, including Bonner. That said, unless he shows some monumental improvement scoring the basket when he gets his chance, he's just going to stay at the bottom of the pit.

TD needs help out there. He's been doing great in the first half of the season for the last few seasons, but playing next to either an undersized guy or a guy that can't box out or rebound for shit will wear him down quicker. Another 7 footer that can be physical, block shots and box out and rebound is a necessity for this team in the long run.

SA210
11-20-2010, 10:57 AM
The "we're 10-1 so we don't need him" argument is stupid. Splitter has played 7 of those 11 wins. It actually makes less sense to change what is obviously working.

:toast

Obstructed_View
11-20-2010, 12:32 PM

The Spurs are 10-1, and I've already said Pop's an idiot for benching Splitter. Winning games during a cupcake schedule is nice and all, and I'm glad that it's such a panacea for you Popsuckers, but it doesn't suddenly mean the Spurs are going to be able to sustain giving so many minutes to the starters and having Bonner as the primary big off the bench, nor does it mean they're as good as the Lakers.

It's looking like the only reason Splitter got any time is because Bonner was injured. What's surprising isn't that I'm alarmed by that reality, but that you guys aren't alarmed by it. Bonner's supposed to be a role player, and Pop's in full "squint-and-I-could-swear-he's-Robert-Horry" mode with Bonner.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-20-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure why people are jumping all over Obstructed. As others have noted, it appears that Tiago's playing time is being dictated by Bonner's minutes. Since he had his semi-annual 20+ points game, Tiago hasn't gotten a whiff of the court.

If you care at all about the chances of the Spurs to make a playoff run this year, that should scare the hell out of you. We suffered through the Finley mancrush the past two years, and now we've got another year of Duncan's twilight where Pop is showing eyes for a marginal rotation player at the detriment to the rest of the team.

:td

Chomag
11-20-2010, 12:56 PM
When Bonner was re-signed this off-season I think many of us thought it was just to have depth and that he would just be the 5th big to use for situations. Maybe we need to just get that thought completely out of our heads and re-think that Bonner was never meant to be that roll when he was signed. It's looking more and more that it was intended for him to be a very major roll in the rotation. Maybe We would have already known that for sure had Bonner not been injured in the first game. Wasn't he the first big off the bench in that game?

Regardless of what roll The Spurs have in mind for Bonner they can't let it effect Splitters minutes. Pop has got to find a way to work him in the rotation. That's not an easy task when all of your bigs can contribute in some way but even so it can't be the way it's currently being done.

It's still early in the season thankfully but things still have got to change.

jjktkk
11-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Comparing Splitter to Ian is incorrect

Tiago is playing basketball at high level for some years now.
Ian was always a prospect and a prospect with unknown potential

I agree. Wasn't comparing their talent levels, but their playing time, or lack there of.

DesignatedT
11-20-2010, 01:29 PM
While I agree with the notion that Bonner shouldn't dictate Splitter minutes, it would be pretty stupid for Pop not to ride the hot hand, especially after Bonner hit 9 straight 3's. Same thing goes with our other players... If Gary Neal drains 9 consecutive 3 balls in 2 games than I would prefer him be the first guard off the bench compared to George Hill. Saying that, Splitter should definitely get some burn tonight, no excuse.

jjktkk
11-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Hey jjktkk, how's it going down at the haunt? Kickin' it w/ a few PBR's and comparing mullets I suppose..

FYI, it appears the mavericks could have used Mahinmi last night when they got outboarded by the bulls 59-34, Gibson & Noah accounted for 35 rebounds alone, 13 offensive.

Night before that, poor Timmy Duncan got hung out to dry once again by Pop, pretty much tasked with singlehandedly keeping the bulls off the offensive boards while Matt Bonner ran around the perimeter like a chicken with his head cut off. Good thing Duncan never wears out before the playoffs start, huh?

Not alot of of your family wearing mullets up here in Wa. state Tjastal. You can debate if your boy Mahimini will ever see the court.(surpressing a laugh), or Pop's dolling out playing time, but its kinda fallen on deaf ears, since the Spurs are 10-1 right now. So basically your coming across like Charlie Brown's teacher right now.

polandprzem
11-20-2010, 01:31 PM
You all are so :dramaquee

IMO it's as simple as that -> Tiago is not just ready. And it's either him being bit injured or out of shape.
I'm not worried cause I am sure he will produce when his number will be called.

11 games into the season and everybody knows playoffs rotation already jeez

btw. Pop is never happy. So him being satisfied with bonner as a starter to me it's untrue.

jjktkk
11-20-2010, 01:36 PM
While I agree with the notion that Bonner shouldn't dictate Splitter minutes, it would be pretty stupid for Pop not to ride the hot hand, especially after Bonner hit 9 straight 3's. Same thing goes with our other players... If Gary Neal drains 9 consecutive 3 balls in 2 games than I would prefer him be the first guard off the bench compared to George Hill. Saying that, Splitter should definitely get some burn tonight, no excuse.

I too agree that Splitter needs to get playing time, and I'm sure he will, but some our resident experts are already in panic mode in November and the Spurs off to a 10-1 record makes no sense.

DesignatedT
11-20-2010, 01:41 PM
I too agree that Splitter needs to get playing time, and I'm sure he will, but some our resident experts are already in panic mode in November and the Spurs off to a 10-1 record makes no sense.

Would you expect anything less?

jjktkk
11-20-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm not sure why people are jumping all over Obstructed. As others have noted, it appears that Tiago's playing time is being dictated by Bonner's minutes. Since he had his semi-annual 20+ points game, Tiago hasn't gotten a whiff of the court.

If you care at all about the chances of the Spurs to make a playoff run this year, that should scare the hell out of you. We suffered through the Finley mancrush the past two years, and now we've got another year of Duncan's twilight where Pop is showing eyes for a marginal rotation player at the detriment to the rest of the team.

:td

Because Obstructed View comes across as a pompass ass and I just can't help but put him in his place. In regards to Splitter, I agree that the Spurs are going to need him, but the Spurs are playing well right now without Splitter. If the Spurs were struggling and Pop kept throwing out Bonner, then yea, I can see the backlash for Pop's questionable coaching decisions, but the Spurs are 10-1. I repeat the Spurs are 10-1. Ride the hot hand.

jjktkk
11-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Would you expect anything less?

LOL, I guess not. Just a bit perplexed about it.

benefactor
11-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Well...I guess Pop is pretty stupid because a similar scenario with Neal did indeed happen.

11/8 - 14min, 15pts, 5-8 FG, 5-7 3FG.
11/10 - 1min, 1pt

jjktkk
11-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Well...I guess Pop is pretty stupid because a similar scenario with Neal did indeed happen.

11/10 - 1min, 1pt

Lol, if you really think hes stupid(LMAO), then I hope Pop will continue being stupid. Throw all the stats out you like, but don't forget the most important stat, wins and losses.

DesignatedT
11-20-2010, 01:59 PM

11/10 - 1min, 1pt

Touche. While it's obvious to what Pop was trying to do there was to try and get Hill going since he had been struggling so much, and it obviously helped. Saying that, after all-star break when the (too new to the team) excuse doesn't exist anymore than the player with the hot hand should definitely be the one getting the minutes whether that be Bonner over Splitter or Neal over Hill or whatever the case may be.

I understand why Pop has been going with Bonner (the last 2 games), and there could be things behind the scenes that would make this situation make a whole lot more sense that we don't know.

greyforest
11-20-2010, 02:06 PM
IMO it's as simple as that -> Tiago is not just ready. And it's either him being injured

this is my guess. he still isn't 100% i don't think.

Russ
11-20-2010, 02:09 PM
When Tiago gets integrated (and maybe Anderson) this team will be scary good.

People may still ask if the Spurs can match up with the Lakers. But they may also begin to ask if the Lakers can match up with the Spurs.

HankChinaski
11-20-2010, 02:22 PM
As much as it is annoying to see Splitter sitting on the bench not getting minutes, you can't argue against 10-1. Pop is doing a great job managing rotations so far.

benefactor
11-20-2010, 02:40 PM
It makes plenty of sense. The combined record of the teams the Spurs have beaten to get those 10 wins is 46-75.

Mel_13
11-20-2010, 03:30 PM
It makes plenty of sense. The combined record of the teams the Spurs have beaten to get those 10 wins is 46-75.

And the combined record of the most recent three opponents is 23-13. You play who is on the schedule. When playoff seedings are set all games count equally.

If a couple of months go by and Splitter is still seeing minutes similar to 2005-06 Oberto, then there's cause for real concern. For now, we still don't know if his calf is 100%.

DPG21920
11-20-2010, 03:47 PM
It is a great start. Far better than I think even the most optimistic fan could have imagined. RJ is playing wonderful. Anderson showed nice flashes. Neal is playing well. TP & Manu look great. Tim has shown some flashes although he has been up and down a little.

It is important to win early, but everyone knows the true test is your record against the top teams. So while all wins count evenly with regards to seeding, the quality wins tell you about your chances to win it all.

There are certainly some things (problematic) to keep a watchful eye on, but overall tough to complain about anything at this point in time.

But I agree with everyone who says in order for this team to reach the requisite ceiling for a title, Tiago has to play.

polandprzem
11-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Cpt obvs

ChumpDumper
11-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Has anyone asked Pop or Splitter why he isn't playing?

polandprzem
11-20-2010, 04:02 PM

Why should anybody ask?

Obstructed already told the world

SenorSpur
11-20-2010, 04:11 PM

I wish someone would, but I don't think any scribe would dare.

Hell, I should've included that question in Pop's mailbag. :lol

DPG21920
11-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Cpt obvs

Cpt Poland

polandprzem
11-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Cpt Poland

:lol

:tu

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-20-2010, 04:23 PM
You all are so :dramaquee

IMO it's as simple as that -> Tiago is not just ready. And it's either him being bit injured or out of shape.
I'm not worried cause I am sure he will produce when his number will be called.

11 games into the season and everybody knows playoffs rotation already jeez

btw. Pop is never happy.

No one said we know playoff rotations. We DO know that once we get past the All-Star break, Pop starts dialing the team into playoff mode, including rotations and minutes for the playoffs.

The beginning of the year is when he traditionally experiments to see what he's got.

So him being satisfied with bonner as a starter to me it's untrue.

You're talking about the same guy who rode Finley and Bonner into the offseason the last three years.

polandprzem
11-20-2010, 04:27 PM
u right AH - RJ as a center was better option as well and Ian

boutons_deux
11-20-2010, 04:29 PM
At least Tiago is staying in game shape.

DesignatedT
11-20-2010, 04:33 PM
And the combined record of the most recent three opponents is 23-13. You play who is on the schedule. When playoff seedings are set all games count equally.

If a couple of months go by and Splitter is still seeing minutes similar to 2005-06 Oberto, then there's cause for real concern. For now, we still don't know if his calf is 100%.

this.

angelbelow
11-20-2010, 04:40 PM
The biggest issue is that we just dont know forsure whether Tiago is hurt or not. Hopefully hes not.

I really enjoy reading comments like "freaking out" "panic mode." You guys are really over sensitive - This is a discussion board with people sharing their opinion on the matter. Why dont you just respond accordingly so we can all have a nice discussion.

JustinJDW
11-20-2010, 04:40 PM
I trust Pop. Even CIA Pop. He make be crazy sometimes but I trust his judgment and what he has planned for Splitter and the rotation. We are starting out 10-1 after all, and the guy has 4 rings. So I think we can trust him, lol.

angelbelow
11-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Because Obstructed View comes across as a pompass ass and I just can't help but put him in his place.

Make no mistake, youre not doing anything but making yourself look like a fool.

SenorSpur
11-20-2010, 05:12 PM
The biggest issue is that we just dont know forsure whether Tiago is hurt or not. Hopefully hes not.

If Tiago were really hurt, surely it would've come out. I mean, folks rag on McDonald around here, but I have to believe that even he could root out an injury situation to the Spurs prized rookie. Besides, what reason would Pop have for NOT disclosing such an situation?

I really enjoy reading comments like "freaking out" "panic mode." You guys are really over sensitive - This is a discussion board with people sharing their opinion on the matter. Why dont you just respond accordingly so we can all have a nice discussion.

At last, a voice of reason.

Too often folks get bent out of shape around here for any opinion that differs from their own. Besides, concern over something like Splitter's playing time warrants a legitimate discussion. By no means is this topic as ridiculous as the usual "let's trade Tony for a bag of beans" scenario or even the salacious jokes from this past week's TP & Eva "divorce drama".

ChumpDumper
11-20-2010, 05:27 PM
If Tiago were really hurt, surely it would've come out.Why? Especially if he's fine to suit up, but they don't want to play him unnecessarily or they just go by game time decisions.

I asked if anyone actually asked Pop or Tiago. No answer.

jjktkk
11-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Make no mistake, youre not doing anything but making yourself look like a fool.

Geez, hope I'm able to sleep tonight.

angelbelow
11-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Geez, hope I'm able to sleep tonight.

Im sure after the spurs blow out the cavs by the 3rd quarter and were 11-1 while resting our starters, you'll be fine.

jjktkk
11-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Im sure after the spurs blow out the cavs by the 3rd quarter and were 11-1 while resting our starters, you'll be fine.

Won't we all? But I have to say, although the Cavs are 4-6 I believe, they are playing tough, competing. Hope the Spurs don't take them lightly.

angelbelow
11-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Won't we all? But I have to say, although the Cavs are 4-6 I believe, they are playing tough, competing. Hope the Spurs don't take them lightly.

I think if we play with the same energy level and intensity we should be fine... ofcourse that's easier said then done. I hope they don't take them lightly either.

I havent watched the cavs play at all this year (surprise surprise) so im not sure how theyre scoring. If its mainly because theyre hot from the outside I think we'll have a easy time shutting them down. I see it being similar to the 2nd clipper game where the clippers were seemingly hitting everything in the 1st half but ran out of gas in the 2nd.

jestersmash
11-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Because Obstructed View comes across as a pompass ass and I just can't help but put him in his place. In regards to Splitter, I agree that the Spurs are going to need him, but the Spurs are playing well right now without Splitter. If the Spurs were struggling and Pop kept throwing out Bonner, then yea, I can see the backlash for Pop's questionable coaching decisions, but the Spurs are 10-1. I repeat the Spurs are 10-1. Ride the hot hand.

You're taking an overly simplistic and narrow-minded view on the matter. Being 10-1 in and of itself means very little. Winning games here and now is an obvious short term goal - nobody is denying that. Yes - we want favorable playoff seeding.

That said, the spurs have longer term goals that may be jeopardized if we don't develop and establish Splitter as a robust interior presence on defense.

The fact of the matter is this - Bonner and Splitter bring very different things to the table. Bonner can knock down 3 point shots and helps spread the floor for easier penetration by Ginobili or Parker. However, his interior defense is clearly inferior to Splitter's. He gets blown by more often, his (take charge) : (commit blocking foul) ratio is higher than Splitter's, and he's not as good at rebounding or blocking.

Splitter (obviously) packs the floor in more during the offense, but in exchange he brings superior interior defense.

You have to assess - given the match up - whether Bonner's strengths outweigh his deficits or whether Splitter's strengths outweigh his defecits, and by how much. This is a qualitative assessment of course, but there were multiple plays during the Spurs-Jazz game last night that appeared to suggest that Splitter would have provided a greater net benefit to the spurs had he replaced Bonner.

And that's the point. The matchup warranted Splitter over Bonner, and even if you disagree with my qualitative assessment (feel free, there is no "right answer" when it comes to assessing Bonner's overall defensive effort last night because overall defensive effort cannot be completely quantified with mere statistics like rebounds, blocks, and steals) - even if you disagree with that, there still remains the point that we're going to have to develop Splitter at some point against competent teams if we want to ultimately increase our probability of winning another ring.

Winning games here and now is a short term goal. Developing depth in order to increase our chances for success during the playoffs is a long term goal. I don't think Pop is striking the right balance between these two (perhaps acutely conflicting) goals thus far this season.

Cane
11-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Splitter looked really out of shape in his limited minutes, I imagine his conditioning is whats really holding him back. Plus he doesn't have as much corporate knowledge and on the totem pole of NBA experience he's dead last in the Spurs frontcourt.

I fully expect him to become a regular part of the rotation when he does get in shape however he looked like he was dying out there. Crazy that he was still productive despite having all these cards stacked against him though.

cd98
11-20-2010, 06:36 PM
I just think Pop wants to win with essentially the same players he used last year to show that last year's poor showing was a fluke.

WeNeedLength
11-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Splitter looked really out of shape in his limited minutes, I imagine his conditioning is whats really holding him back. Plus he doesn't have as much corporate knowledge and on the totem pole of NBA experience he's dead last in the Spurs frontcourt.

I fully expect him to become a regular part of the rotation when he does get in shape however he looked like he was dying out there. Crazy that he was still productive despite having all these cards stacked against him though.

So how do you suppose this problem is fixed?? Oh right, more in-game experience and playing time NOW.

Obstructed_View
11-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Because Obstructed View comes across as a pompass ass and I just can't help but put him in his place.
:lol The only place you put me is out ahead of you in every discussion in which you choose to post.

Obstructed_View
11-20-2010, 07:21 PM
I trust Pop. Even CIA Pop. He make be crazy sometimes but I trust his judgment and what he has planned for Splitter and the rotation. We are starting out 10-1 after all, and the guy has 4 rings. So I think we can trust him, lol.

It's looking like he's lumping Bonner and Splitter into the same category, which is a mistake because they aren't the same type of player, and therefore shouldn't be competing for minutes. Any time Pop chooses to go small instead of playing a big front line player who can defend, it reminds some of us of the 2006 conference semis, where Pop's decision to suddenly sit the centers he'd started the entire year cost the Spurs any chance at ring number five.

I don't think anyone is saying that Bonner should be getting NO minutes. I'm certainly not. To me it's more a question of why there's not room for both of them depending upon the situation. It does a disservice to the nights that Bonner smokes the nets to not be able to throw him a rope when he's struggling.

jestersmash
11-20-2010, 07:35 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald
Pop from pregame, on Splitter's minutes after two straight DNPs: "He'll play when he plays ... If it's appropriate, he'll play." #spurs

Nice, safe, vague answer from Pop, but then again I wouldn't expect anything else.

JustinJDW
11-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Hmm, it will be very annoying and disappointing if Tiago doesn't play tonight against the Cavs.

ChumpDumper
11-20-2010, 07:43 PM
So no one asked if the injury is still a concern?

duncan228
11-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Pop from pregame, on Splitter's minutes after two straight DNPs: "He'll play when he plays ... If it's appropriate, he'll play."