PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs vs. Bulls - Nov. 17

timvp
11-18-2010, 12:47 AM
Quick Grades: Spurs vs. Bulls (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/spurs-grades/quick-grades-spurs-vs-bulls/)

By LJ Ellis (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/author/ljellis/) | San Antonio Dispatch (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/)

Coming out of the gates, it seemed as if the entire Spurs squad was emotionally drained. (Perhaps due to the Tony Parker rumors (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/news/san-antonio-news/updated-rumors-on-tony-parker-and-eva-longoria-divorce/) that involved a former teammate (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/news/san-antonio-news/confirmed-erin-barry-is-tony-parkers-other-woman/).) After the early malaise wore off, San Antonio got rolling — big time. The Spurs turned a 17-point first half deficit into an 18-point second half lead thanks largely to the 37-12 third quarter. Though the Bulls were able to make it a game at the end, the Spurs won 103-94 and now have eight victories in a row.

Tim Duncan B Another handful of missed easy shots but helped with D and rebounding.

Manu Ginobili B+ A couple errors on both ends but overall efficient and energetic.

Tony Parker B+ Had a few lulls but attacked well and helped O thrive in second half.

Richard Jefferson B Played with a lot of juice and kept going at it no matter yet.

DeJuan Blair C+ Boarded well but struggled to deal with perimeter oriented Bulls.

George Hill B- Followed similar pattern: passive early, more aggressive late.

Matt Bonner B+ The king of the plus/minus has now sunk his past nine three-pointers.

Antonio McDyess B+ Beastly on the boards. Relentless hustle. Little bit too careless.

Gary Neal B- Missed his three-pointers but made impact off the dribble and on D.

EricB
11-18-2010, 12:51 AM
I personally thought RJ had an A game, but agree with the rest.

Neal had a C game too IMO.

easjer
11-18-2010, 12:51 AM
That third quarter was absolutely brilliant to watch. It was energizing and fun. I can't recall being this entertained and engaged by a Spurs team in a long while, so I really enjoyed this game.

The fourth was more of a nail-biter, but they pulled it out, and that was the important thing.

DesignatedT
11-18-2010, 12:53 AM
Pretty much agree. Neal played a decent game off the bench. Although he missed his 3's, he hit a couple runners and played solid D on Korver.

ElNono
11-18-2010, 01:14 AM
Another tale of two halves. Team looked drained and discombobulated in the first half (but I though defense was relatively ok until that stretch in the second quarter when the Bulls made their run). Intensity in the second half was much better. It also helped we started to make shots. Playing all 48 minutes is something this team is still working on. The third quarter was the model we need to follow. Very solid D there.
All in all, a great win

DespЏrado
11-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Best 3rd quarter from the Spurs I've seen in a long time.

Parker situation may have been a factor.

Hill is turning it around, Blair unfortunately continues to fall off a cliff, he needs to turn himself around.

Pop had a great moment when he just sat on his ass during a timeout....and I liked watching ESPN when they didn't have an audio feed for the first 2 minutes except for game sounds.

Anderson's absence is starting to be a factor.

crc21209
11-18-2010, 01:23 AM
I couldnt help but smile as I was watching the 3rd quarter. Watching your favorite team struggle missing chip shots in the 1st half is torture, and then watching them make a complete turn-around and comeback and to end up winning the game was just fucking awesome. :tu

Pauleta14
11-18-2010, 01:25 AM
it seemed as if the entire Spurs squad was emotionally drained. (Perhaps due to the Tony Parker rumors (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/news/san-antonio-news/updated-rumors-on-tony-parker-and-eva-longoria-divorce/) that involved a former teammate (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/news/san-antonio-news/confirmed-erin-barry-is-tony-parkers-other-woman/).)

Really? Even you LJ?

This is not the first time we have that kind of start of the game...

jestersmash
11-18-2010, 01:27 AM
Really? Even you LJ?

Drama = hits for SAD

Don't hate the playa just hate the game. I'd do the same if I had website. Drama = hits = $.

timvp
11-18-2010, 01:30 AM
If you think Parker drama had no effect on the team, you must think the players are robots. Especially adding in the Erin Barry factor, there's no way it was just another game.

Solid D
11-18-2010, 01:32 AM
Matt Bonner B+ The king of the plus/minus has now sunk his past nine three-pointers.

Bonner starting the 2nd half in place of Blair was huge. His presence spaced the floor so much better. The matchup zone the Bulls threw at the Spurs in the first half broke down, partially due to Bonner and partially due to the Bulls being tired. Bonner was a big key to the Spurs scoring as many points in the 3rd quarter as they did in the entire first half.

I didn't think I'd ever say this but Matt Bonner made everyone better tonight. :p:

jestersmash
11-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Anybody else surprised to see that Neal actually might have a passable slashing game? I liked that little runner off the hesitation dribble. He's had a handful of timely 3 pointers, a couple of nice assists, a couple of stretches with fundamentally sound perimeter defense (not all in this game, obviously). I'm liking his progress so far.

Solid D
11-18-2010, 01:42 AM
I'd give Manu an A- tonight. He made some huge plays in the 2nd half, including that sick drive past Rose and Noah after the Bulls had cut the lead to 7 with 2 minutes to play. Dribble-drive, behind the back oops change his mind back to the left hand, rise and flush! Ballgame.

Pauleta14
11-18-2010, 01:57 AM
If you think Parker drama had no effect on the team, you must think the players are robots. Especially adding in the Erin Barry factor, there's no way it was just another game.

It's think all this is too new/fresh to have a real effect (so early) on them.
They probably have followed the same routine as usual before a home game, they did not meet reporters, ...

You're right that they are not robots and this may have an impact in the near future (let's hope not), but TODAY?

Didn't this kind of low start reminded you a few past games?

It's no big deal, but I think it was "easy", not accurate and I really didn't expect that from you (and it's a compliment because I think highly of you/your posts...)

:toast

crc21209
11-18-2010, 01:59 AM

+1. This and the fact that they got down 17 points and then came back furiously and even led by double digits against a pretty good Bulls team is what impressed me the most...

Pauleta14
11-18-2010, 01:59 AM
Bonner is still a mystery for me...

I don't understand how a big who never rebounds always gets the best +/_ of the team!

EricB
11-18-2010, 02:02 AM
Drama = hits for SAD

Don't hate the playa just hate the game. I'd do the same if I had website. Drama = hits = $.

This is one of the dumbest things I think I've ever seen posted here.

Thats saying alot.

jestersmash
11-18-2010, 02:03 AM
Bonner is still a mystery for me...

I don't understand how a big who never rebounds always gets the best +/_ of the team!

He forces his defender to honor is 3 point shot, opening up the lanes for parker/ginobili to drive more easily and either score or dish back out (to him or others) for an open jump shot.

But, all this talk about "spacing" will probably fall on deaf ears when it comes to the Bonner haters on this board. They don't actually believe that Bonner helps to space the floor.

jestersmash
11-18-2010, 02:07 AM
This is one of the dumbest things I think I've ever seen posted here.

Thats saying alot.

How ironic.

You're saying that sensational headlines/news stories don't garner more attention?

There's a media frenzy about Parker-Eva at this moment. I'm suggesting that having hyperlinks to the tony-eva breakup in other threads can only help to promote more hits to sanantoniodispatch.

Are you suggesting the opposite?

I don't appreciate the personal attacks. Calling it a "dumb comment" makes you come off as elitist and immature. Why don't you actually explain your position next time in a more thoughtful and sincere manner?

ALVAREZ6
11-18-2010, 02:53 AM
That 2nd half was fuckin' awesome. Team came back in a hurry, manu smashin on everyone, great game.

Spurs keep rollin' baby

Chomag
11-18-2010, 02:57 AM
Bonner did good at hitting a couple of shots but when your big man only has 1 rebound in 22 minutes of play how is that not a negative strike?

jestersmash
11-18-2010, 03:02 AM
Bonner did good at hitting a couple of shots but when your big man only has 1 rebound in 22 minutes of play how is that not a negative strike?

If Bonner is getting out-rebounded by his own teammates, it's not a big deal.

When Bonner fails to box out the opposing team and gives up too many offensive rebounds, that's when you penalize him.

Chomag
11-18-2010, 03:07 AM

When Bonner fails to box out the opposing team and gives up too many offensive rebounds, that's when you penalize him.

True, every player on the Spurs that played tonight had more rebounds then him if you don't count Green's few seconds of play. :lol

jestersmash
11-18-2010, 03:10 AM
True, every player on the Spurs that played tonight had more rebounds then him if you don't count Green's few seconds of play. :lol

Good old Bonner :toast. As poor as his interior defense and rebounding abilities may be, he's a hard guy to hate. He's not arrogant, he doesn't demand attention; he seems like a simple, down to earth guy.

His charisma/attitude almost certainly contributed to his new contract.

spurs10
11-18-2010, 03:31 AM

When Bonner fails to box out the opposing team and gives up too many offensive rebounds, that's when you penalize him.:toast:toast

Danny.Zhu
11-18-2010, 03:57 AM
He forces his defender to honor is 3 point shot, opening up the lanes for parker/ginobili to drive more easily and either score or dish back out (to him or others) for an open jump shot.

But, all this talk about "spacing" will probably fall on deaf ears when it comes to the Bonner haters on this board. They don't actually believe that Bonner helps to space the floor.

Dude, it's just regular season. In the play-offs before, Bonner can NOT make 3s. So he can NOT "space" the floor.

That said, I'm not against playing Bonner in the regular season because it can give Duncan some rest.

jestersmash
11-18-2010, 04:07 AM
Dude, it's just regular season. In the play-offs before, Bonner can NOT make 3s. So he can NOT "space" the floor.

That said, I'm not against playing Bonner in the regular season because it can give Duncan some rest.

We're not in the playoffs; we're in the regular season and the goal right now is to win as many regular season games as possible.

Once Bonner starts "choking" 6 months from now in the playoffs, you can whine about him not spacing the floor.

Until then, it's meaningless to keep bringing up past performances. If he choked in the past - he choked in the past. The fact remains, however, that he's helping to space the floor by virtue of his 3P% and it's helping the spurs win games here and now. Your sentiments about him choking in past playoffs are irrelevant to the here and now.

UnWantedTheory
11-18-2010, 04:17 AM

SenorSpur
11-18-2010, 04:35 AM

:tu

Obstructed_View
11-18-2010, 05:13 AM
Dejuan Blair was total and complete shit while he was on the floor. He didn't box out, he didn't compete, he didn't challenge shots. Hell, he didn't even put up his hands much of the time. He was awful. Gary Neal missed his threes, but he penetrated and scored, which helped keep the Spurs from getting jumper happy, and he absolutely fought on defense. The two players' grades shouldn't be anywhere near each other.

Death In June
11-18-2010, 09:25 AM
How ironic.

You're saying that sensational headlines/news stories don't garner more attention?

There's a media frenzy about Parker-Eva at this moment. I'm suggesting that having hyperlinks to the tony-eva breakup in other threads can only help to promote more hits to sanantoniodispatch.

Are you suggesting the opposite?

I don't appreciate the personal attacks. Calling it a "dumb comment" makes you come off as elitist and immature. Why don't you actually explain your position next time in a more thoughtful and sincere manner?That would mean he'd have to pass on an opportunity to be a prissy twat.

JWest596
11-18-2010, 09:34 AM
That third quarter was absolutely brilliant to watch. It was energizing and fun. I can't recall being this entertained and engaged by a Spurs team in a long while, so I really enjoyed this game.

The fourth was more of a nail-biter, but they pulled it out, and that was the important thing.

No kidding on the third quarter, a thing of beauty. The future I hope. I was thinking....whoa this is lock down kick ass take names Spurs basketball...

I likey. A lot.

thispego
11-18-2010, 11:11 AM

also bonner is out on the perimeter on offense, significantly reducing his chance for an OR as a big man. His rebound #'s are supposed to be guard-like, with the role he plays

pad300
11-18-2010, 12:43 PM
also bonner is out on the perimeter on offense, significantly reducing his chance for an OR as a big man. His rebound #'s are supposed to be guard-like, with the role he plays

Yeah, but the majority of rebounds are defensive, and on defense he plays a big man's role. He doesn't get defensive rebounds either...

TDMVPDPOY
11-18-2010, 12:50 PM
if neal continues to have good games like this, where does that leave anderson when he comes back

even blairs minutes could be eaten up by splitter if he doesnt watch out...

unless pop continue to limit duncans minutes....

Budkin
11-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Such a satisfying win. This team could do big things this year.

TJastal
11-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Dejuan Blair was total and complete shit while he was on the floor. He didn't box out, he didn't compete, he didn't challenge shots. Hell, he didn't even put up his hands much of the time. He was awful. Gary Neal missed his threes, but he penetrated and scored, which helped keep the Spurs from getting jumper happy, and he absolutely fought on defense. The two players' grades shouldn't be anywhere near each other.

I thought Blair was very active on the boards and even had a nice rebound put back. He also saved two posessions for the spurs by causing deflections off bulls' players going for rebounds.

Not bad for 10 minutes of work. I love the idea of Blair starting the game, and then having someone else start the 2nd half (either Bonner or Splitter preferably) I hope Pop makes this his normal rotation.

thispego
11-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Yeah, but the majority of rebounds are defensive, and on defense he plays a big man's role. He doesn't get defensive rebounds either...

yeah well not last night, but he got 4 and 5 in the two games previous to that. I know he's averaging just under 3 a game, but if he could average around 4 or 5 AND continue doing what he is doing everywhere else on the court, then i dont see how anyone could complain about Bonner this year.

TJastal
11-18-2010, 01:41 PM
My grades.

Tony Parker: A-. Another vintage TP game. Played active on defense and closed out well on shooters. Got sloppy with turnovers and a few missed free throws and missed a perfect score.

Manu Ginobili: A-. Pretty much the same as Parker. A few sloppy passes and missed free throws, otherwise was brilliant shooting the ball and taking the ball to the rack, looks rejuvenated this year.

Dejuan Blair: B. Boarded well, made some hustle plays to garner a few extra possessions, but couldn't score on the bulls frontline, got seriously swatted by Taj Gibson trying to post up. Needs to work on some better post moves.

Tim Duncan: A. Best game of the season for Timmy IMO. Battled Noah all night for rebounds and won almost every battle. Passed the ball brilliantly. Could have scored 25 if he'd have made all the shots he normally makes. Defensively was a beast tonight as well.

Antonio McDyess: A-. Dominant on the boards. Made a few slick passes and had a monstrous dunk. Made several energy/hustle plays to save possessions or start fast breaks for the spurs. Had one lapse in the 4th quarter where he got sloppy with pick setting, and had a 3 second call.

George Hill: A-. Best game of the year for Hill. Didn't force up shots tonight, took what was there, and should have had a pair 4 pt plays if the refs hadn't screwed him over on the second one. Played good defense, had a few mental lapses but nothing major. Missed 2 free throws, like everyone else. Really helped keep the lead in the 4th quarter when the bulls were knocking on the door thanks to Popovich's shitty decision to play micro ball.

Gary Neal: B-. Missed badly on several open 3's, but compensated with some nice driving floaters. Defense wasn't great, missed rotations and guys blew by him with ease. Seems to have become Pop's favorite small ball guard.

Matt Bonner: C+. Made some nice 3's and assisted another one to RJ, but defensively was horrible IMO. His rotations were always late, and was super lucky the bulls couldn't make him pay the price. Had a few decent defensive plays against scrubs, but otherwise was abused in the paint, especially on the boards. +/- was inflated by being in almost the whole 3rd quarter when the spurs were playing awesome and the bulls were playing flatter than Joakim Noah's free throws.

Richard Jefferson: B+. Not up to his usual standards, his shot and follow through is starting to look like last year's which resulted in < 30% shooting from long range. Made some brilliant moves in the fast break however to get to the foul line where he was the only spur not to miss all night. Was aggressive going to the basket and created contact.

Spurs Brazil
11-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Very good win

TP and Manu were great. TD is playing solid D

Bonner with another nice game

Manudona
11-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Matt Bonner: C+. +/- was inflated by being in almost the whole 3rd quarter when the spurs were playing awesome and the bulls were playing flatter than Joakim Noah's free throws.

And you are sure that Bonner was not the cause of the 3rd quarter awesomeness? Why do you think Pop put him to start the 3rd quarter? I would like to believe that Bonner was part of Pop's game plan which worked marvelously. How many teams would play that awesome with the same four players that were stinking the place in the first half and then start kicking assess when a scrub came in.

Also, and last, when +/- favors Manu, Tony or Tim some people drool at such stat, but when Bonner gets it (mind you is not only once in a while, it is pretty consistent) then it is either inflated, meaningless or both (this last comment not directed to you in particular, as I do not keep track of who says what.)

TJastal
11-18-2010, 09:57 PM
And you are sure that Bonner was not the cause of the 3rd quarter awesomeness? Why do you think Pop put him to start the 3rd quarter? I would like to believe that Bonner was part of Pop's game plan which worked marvelously. How many teams would play that awesome with the same four players that were stinking the place in the first half and then start kicking assess when a scrub came in.

Also, and last, when +/- favors Manu, Tony or Tim some people drool at such stat, but when Bonner gets it (mind you is not only once in a while, it is pretty consistent) then it is either inflated, meaningless or both (this last comment not directed to you in particular, as I do not keep track of who says what.)

Bonner was fortunate last night to play almost the entire 3rd quarter where the bulls were playing like complete garbage. They went at Bonner repeatedly on the Rose/Deng P&R, but Deng couldn't make a single wide open 3pt shot. Bonner's defense was terrible IMO and the bulls couldn't capitalize. With this kind of defense, I guarantee Bonner is going to get lit up like a xmas tree eventually and the spurs will lose because of it.

ChuckD
11-19-2010, 12:42 AM

Bonner shot 43% overall, and 37% from downtown in the playoffs last year. He was not the problem.

Manufan909
11-19-2010, 12:46 AM
Richard Jefferson: B+. Not up to his usual standards, his shot and follow through is starting to look like last year's which resulted in < 30% shooting from long range. Made some brilliant moves in the fast break however to get to the foul line where he was the only spur not to miss all night. Was aggressive going to the basket and created contact.

I hope last night was a fluke, and he goes back to shooting like he did in the first 5 games.

intlspurshk
11-19-2010, 01:40 AM
The time invested on Bonner should be well invested in Tiago or Blair. These are guys to play in the playoff for big minutes and they need to play regular season games to gain enough experience and learn the defense system. It's basically no hope for Bonner to work well on defense and his presence, other than hitting 3pt, disrupt the team defense (can't rebound, slow rotation, easy foul, etc) The only contribution from him is the spacing he could create in regular season games and save Tim's effort on the offensive end. Nevertheless, the team has better 3 pts shooters this year and once Anderson is back with good health, his minutes should be reduced. We all know what Bonner can do against other teams when they tighten the defenses and impose pressure on him. If he likes SJax, who can make love with pressure, that's fine. However, the truth is he can't and we all know what Phil's strategy on Bonner whenever SPURS meet Fakers and it works everytime. If SPURS are ok with being regular season elite team and enjoy Bonner to lead the league in 3pts shooting, that's ok. If SPURS want to move further in the playoff games, they have to rebuild their suffocating defense, they have to use Tiago and Blair more, even at the expenses losing some regular games.

HarlemHeat37
11-19-2010, 01:44 AM
The Spurs will have a hard time building a "suffocating defense" with Blair on the court..he's probably a top 5-10 worst defensive player in the NBA among big men..he makes Bonner look like Olajuwon from a defensive standpoint IMO..

They wouldn't be able to do it with Bonner either, but I find it funny that people are using Bonner's defense against him in arguments in favor of Blair..

jestersmash
11-19-2010, 01:53 AM
The Spurs will have a hard time building a "suffocating defense" with Blair on the court..he's probably a top 5-10 worst defensive player in the NBA among big men..he makes Bonner look like Olajuwon from a defensive standpoint IMO..

They wouldn't be able to do it with Bonner either, but I find it funny that people are using Bonner's defense against him in arguments in favor of Blair..

I don't know if I'd go that far. Both of their abilities to guard the paint are egregiously lacking - there's no question about that.

At the end of the day, it's nice to have both options. We may face teams who are incapable of punishing Bonner and Blair's serious flaws on defense, in which case Bonner's benefit of spreading the floor (and Blair's benefit of....???) during offensive possessions may outweigh his defensive deficits.

When that balance is disrupted, it'll be nice to have a more robust interior presence in the form of Splitter. It might pack up the paint more during offensive possessions, but as long as the benefit of a sturdier defense outweighs this new deficit, it'll obviously be to the spurs advantage.

For me, the only pressing issue right now is getting Splitter some hands on experience.

My guess is we'll need to wait for a team that can truly exploit Bonner and Blair's deficiencies before we see Splitter getting consistent minutes. With a 9-1 record, we just haven't seen this so far.

Darkwaters
11-19-2010, 06:30 AM

Well, the one nice asset that Blair has on the defensive end, which Bonner doesn't, is his ability to grab rebounds. A defensive rebound ends a possession and gets the Spurs offense going again. Blair hasn't been as stellar here as last year, but hes looked much better the last few games. Bonner just looks like crap in this respect.

Still, a made shot doesn't require a rebound, and Blair has looked like the bigman version of Steve Nash on defense. Neither of them is great.

Obstructed_View
11-19-2010, 09:47 AM
And you are sure that Bonner was not the cause of the 3rd quarter awesomeness?

Yes. :lol

vander
11-19-2010, 11:36 AM
bonner was the cause, everyone should be able to see that by now, it's been going on for years.
but in that 3rd quarter, he could have ruined everything with his complete indifference towards protecting the offensive glass, at least 5 times he just stood and casually watched as a bull came from further out than he for the offensive rebound. and he obviously had no respect for Deng's 3 point shooting ability, since he also refused rotate back to him at the 3 point line.