PDA

View Full Version : Obese woman referred to zoo for X-ray

sa_butta
05-24-2005, 03:42 PM
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1406475.html?menu=

A 29 year old New York woman says she was humiliated when she was told to go to a zoo for an x-ray.
Jennifer Walters is bed-ridden and cannot fit into a magnetic resonance imaging machine.

She told the New York Post that a doctor said she should go instead to the Bronx Zoo for an x-ray.

"It's humiliating. I was told if elephants and hippos need MRIs, they have the equipment at the Bronx Zoo. It was like I was an animal," she said.

New York politicians recently called for an end to what they termed medical discrimination against obese people.

The Bronx Zoo told the Post it gets about a dozen such calls a year but it doesn't have such facilities for its animals.

Couldnt resist this one.
How mean is that?

Clandestino
05-24-2005, 03:44 PM
don't the context, but i doubt the doctor meant it in a mean way.

Spurminator
05-24-2005, 03:46 PM
:lmao

Part of me thinks it's mean, part of me thinks it's hilarious, and the rest of me thinks, "Well? Do you want an x-ray or not?"

Useruser666
05-24-2005, 03:47 PM
I bet her HMO doesn't cover the ticket to get in the zoo.

sa_butta
05-24-2005, 03:49 PM
yeah how do you claim that with your insurance?
or would you get a bill from the zoo.
maybe she has elephantiasis...:lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-24-2005, 03:51 PM
New York politicians recently called for an end to what they termed medical discrimination against obese people.

If you don't fit in the MRI machine, you don't fit. I'm not sure why that's being called discrimination. My guess is that she won't fit into a Corvette either. Is General Motors discriminating against her now?

And the hole in the MRI machine is pretty darn big to start with. This lady must be really gigantic, poor thing.

Jimcs50
05-24-2005, 04:03 PM
I guess Chopper, Shelly and SW need to go to the SA zoo for xrays I guess, judging from their pictures that they have posted of each other.

SpursWoman
05-24-2005, 04:07 PM
I guess Chopper, Shelly and SW need to go to the SA zoo for xrays I guess, judging from their pictures that they have posted of each other.

The trip quit being worth it ... now that they've stopped the elephant rides, I can't earn my money back for the necessary exams and a cotton candy.

I bet her HMO doesn't cover the ticket to get in the zoo.

That's why I switched to a PPO. :fro

ShoogarBear
05-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Most CT and MRI equipment have weight limits of ~300 pounds.

I have heard (but can't confirm) that morbidly obese people have been referred to zoo facilities when there's no other option.

What I want to know is what to they do with NFL linemen or Shaq?

rl64tx
05-24-2005, 07:34 PM

No Joke there's some "big" peeps in those GTG pics!!! Should they really be going to pizza place??? Damn, kick in a workout or 2 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Shelly
05-24-2005, 07:43 PM
No Joke there's some "big" peeps in those GTG pics!!! Should they really be going to pizza place??? Damn, kick in a workout or 2 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

:cry

Clandestino
05-24-2005, 07:44 PM

haha... crazy fucker! :lol

atlfan25
05-24-2005, 07:57 PM
what, they don't have open mri's in new york? please. if they have them here they do in new york. and why does the article use mri and x-ray like they are the same.

SpursWoman
05-24-2005, 08:08 PM

Who are you to be criticising anyone? Let's see what you look like...both of you. :)

SpursWoman
05-24-2005, 08:16 PM
In case you missed it....here's me & Shelly from a few GTG's ago..... :smokin

http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2004410292,00.jpg

Lady Marmalade
05-24-2005, 09:00 PM
am i horrible to say i lol when i read the title???

SpursWoman
05-24-2005, 09:26 PM
yes and no. :lol :lol

If I were referred to the zoo for x-rays, I'd probably take that as a cue that there's a problem.

atlfan25
05-24-2005, 09:38 PM
you can't be too big for an x-ray, that's why this article is moronic, and if they sent her too a zoo for an mri, she had to be over 500 lbs(the approx. limit for open mri's)

Shelly
05-24-2005, 09:38 PM
I did have to go to the zoo to get those ZZZs weighed...

SpursWoman
05-24-2005, 10:55 PM
you can't be too big for an x-ray, that's why this article is moronic, and if they sent her too a zoo for an mri, she had to be over 500 lbs(the approx. limit for open mri's)

That's what I was thinking (about the open MRI's)....she has to be an extremely big person....at least to the degree that she shouldn't have been surprised or in denial at this point. If you can't fit into an MRI, there's lots of other things you can't fit in either.

atlfan25
05-24-2005, 11:01 PM
That's what I was thinking (about the open MRI's)....she has to be an extremely big person....at least to the degree that she shouldn't have been surprised or in denial at this point. If you can't fit into an MRI, there's lots of other things you can't fit in either.
:lol thats a good point, it shoudln't have been much a surprise at all to her. i'd sure like to see that mri machine they have at the zoo tho, if it can fit elephants :wow

ShoogarBear
05-24-2005, 11:14 PM
Could have been worse. They could have referred her to the zoo for her Pap smear.

SpursWoman
05-24-2005, 11:22 PM
:vomit :vomit

05-24-2005, 11:26 PM
Could have been worse. They could have referred her to the zoo for her Pap smear.

As I'm not of the female persuasion and have never needed one, with someone that large (too big to fit in a conventional MRI machine), I'd venture a guess that they need a mop instead of the normal swab to get the sample?

atlfan25
05-24-2005, 11:31 PM
ahhhhhhh^^^^^^^^^^horrible mental image

Useruser666
05-25-2005, 07:54 AM
Could they take her to a border crossing and use one of those truck x-ray machines?

Doc: You're going to have to go to the zoo for the X-ray.

Woman: How rude of you to suggest something.

Doc: I'm sorry it's the only way.

Woman: I'm not going that's insulting!

Doc: It's the only way we can help you.

Woman: Well ok, if it's the only way.

Doc: Glad you changed your mind, now here is the flat bed truck to take you to the zoo.

:lol

Gatita
05-25-2005, 07:56 AM
As I'm not of the female persuasion and have never needed one, with someone that large (too big to fit in a conventional MRI machine), I'd venture a guess that they need a mop instead of the normal swab to get the sample?

That was just plain :vomit

:lol

Gatita
05-25-2005, 07:57 AM
yeah how do you claim that with your insurance?
or would you get a bill from the zoo.
maybe she has elephantiasis...:lol

Swollen balls... the woman?? :lol

Gatita
05-25-2005, 07:58 AM

Didn't you know the camera adds about ten pounds?! :lol

SpursWoman
05-25-2005, 08:06 AM

Oh, sweet Jesus.... :wow :vomit :lol

Shelly
05-25-2005, 08:21 AM

ooooooh!

:lmao

and ew!

05-25-2005, 10:14 AM
Well, I was going to say something about a spreader bar and a 200 ton crane in lieu of stirrups, but I thought that might be going too far...

Gatita
05-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Well, I was going to say something about a spreader bar and a 200 ton crane in lieu of stirrups, but I thought that might be going too far...

Just a skootch! :lol

SpursWoman
05-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Just a skootch! :lol

Oh, man....I thought about that when I'd read his reply! :wow :lmao

Gatita
05-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Oh, man....I thought about that when I'd read his reply! :wow :lmao

Great minds think alike. http://www.improvingsex.com/smileys/hippy.gif

Useruser666
05-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Sounds like a job for cavers.

SpursWoman
05-25-2005, 11:10 AM
Sounds like a job for cavers.

spelunking? :wow

Clandestino
05-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Guy #1: "You momma so fat, that when she needed an x-ray she had to wait in line between a rhino and an elephant at the zoo!"

Guy #2: "Yeah.....so?"

:lmao :lol