PDA

View Full Version : Statistical Analysis of Robinson v. Olajuwon

EJFischer
11-18-2010, 10:54 AM
I haven't historically found this forum to be very advanced stats-friendly, but this may be of interest to some.

Over on the Nerd Numbers blog (part of the Wins Produced network) I started a conversation in the comments of the most recent podcast that Hakeem was being overvalued versus Robinson. (Comment thread here: http://nerdnumbers.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/podcast-good-game/) The podcast, for those not interested in listening, had a discussion of an all-clone team where you take 5 Magics versus 5 Jordans, etc. When the discussion switched to 3-on-3 halfcourt, Hakeem was recommended as the dominant center candidate.

In response to this thread, Andre has done a post of more advanced statistical analysis, breaking their respective performances down by offense, defense, and playmaking. Robinson still comes out ahead every time. It's incredible that he's one of the 50 greatest players ever, and still incredibly underrated. Article here: http://nerdnumbers.wordpress.com/2010/11/18/face-of-the-franchise-david-robinson-vs-hakeen-olajuwon/

lefty
11-18-2010, 10:55 AM
I'll take Dream over D-Rob any day

Trainwreck2100
11-18-2010, 11:02 AM
rip whott.

:(

Marcus Bryant
11-18-2010, 11:07 AM
rip whott.

:(

No doubt. First thought I had after seeing this thread's subject.

TDMVPDPOY
11-18-2010, 11:33 AM
when it comes to hakeem v drob threads, the only stat the hakeem clowns love to bring up is his only 2 prime years where he dominated, while the other years they dont talk about it

we can all say prior those 2 prime years he was below another player, but no they dont wanna talk about that...

hakeem is good, but overrated by the revisionists when it comes to top10 list

ajh18
11-18-2010, 12:59 PM
Hakeem had a game that was perfect for the post-season. He was a dominant low-post, back to the basket player.

Robinson was, in his prime, a combination of Dwight Howard on defense, and Amare on offense. He lacked the go-to, consistent post game of Hakeem or Tim, relying on his athleticism and ability to dominate his opponents. This is why David was probably a better regular season player than either of those two, but had more trouble when the games slowed down for the playoffs.

This was exacerbated by the fact that teams, and Houston in particular, double and triple-teamed David, while David had to guard Hakeem one-on-one. Add this to the fact that the Spurs had crappy outside shooting in that series (which made it even easier to gang up on Robinson), and that Rodman was acting like a crazy-person, and its not hard to see why the series turned out badly. You had a situation where Hakeem got to play to his strengths, while Robinson was in a situation that capitalized on his weaknesses.

timvp
11-18-2010, 12:59 PM
No doubt. First thought I had after seeing this thread's subject.

True :depressed

Blackjack
11-18-2010, 01:19 PM
I think it's pretty safe to say D-Rob and whottt will forever be linked on this board. You can't help but see a thread like this and think "This is gonna be good -- whottt's either already brought the goods or will be bringing them shortly."

RIP whottt.

Robinson was, in his prime, a combination of Dwight Howard on defense, and Amare on offense. He lacked the go-to, consistent post game of Hakeem or Tim, relying on his athleticism and ability to dominate his opponents. This is why David was probably a better regular season player than either of those two, but had more trouble when the games slowed down for the playoffs.

This was exacerbated by the fact that teams, and Houston in particular, double and triple-teamed David, while David had to guard Hakeem one-on-one. Add this to the fact that the Spurs had crappy outside shooting in that series (which made it even easier to gang up on Robinson), and that Rodman was acting like a crazy-person, and its not hard to see why the series turned out badly. You had a situation where Hakeem got to play to his strengths, while Robinson was in a situation that capitalized on his weaknesses.

I love when someone makes a post like this. It's refreshing (and allows me to be lazy). :tu

Iceman101
11-18-2010, 01:29 PM
when it comes to hakeem v drob threads, the only stat the hakeem clowns love to bring up is his only 2 prime years where he dominated, while the other years they dont talk about it

we can all say prior those 2 prime years he was below another player, but no they dont wanna talk about that...

hakeem is good, but overrated by the revisionists when it comes to top10 list

Why do you think he had ONLY 2 prime years?

polandprzem
11-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Hakeem had a game that was perfect for the post-season. He was a dominant low-post, back to the basket player.

Well, there is nothing else to add.
I wanted to post similar post ... doesn't have to

FromWayDowntown
11-18-2010, 02:26 PM
true :depressed

+1

PM5K
11-18-2010, 02:45 PM
WTF happened to whott?

duncan228
11-18-2010, 03:32 PM
WTF happened to whott?

He passed away in August. :(

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164334

Cane
11-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Fantastic thread and again RIP whott.

The NBA just ain't the same without all the great centers. A prime D-Rob and Hakeem would be destroying the NBA nowadays.