PDA

View Full Version : Has there been a more fun spurs team to watch?

sananspursfan21
11-18-2010, 10:58 AM
seems like its been a long time. this years spurs is the most fun to watch for me. their d isn't quite what i like but its better than recent and the offense is jumpin. do you guys remember a spurs team that had this good of an offense while still having somewhat of a d? i know its early and all but theyre lookin good

lefty
11-18-2010, 11:00 AM
2003; youth, craziness

2005 as well, but just because of Manu; he was unreal that season

spursfaninla
11-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Spurs are putting points on the board, and it would be smart for them to continue to run enough to get all the scorers on the team touches.

However, they should and will settle into defensive form in Feb/march...

I find defense "fun" to watch, and find too many dunks and tons of 3pt shots to be kind of boring in isolation. It is the setup that resulted in those that are fun for me to see.

JWest596
11-18-2010, 11:07 AM
It reminds me of 2003...everybody is assuming that the Lakers are going to repeat, give up and abandon all hope and the Spurs quietly carry on and then the next thing is Kobe and Fisher in tears.

lefty
11-18-2010, 11:10 AM
It reminds me of 2003...everybody is assuming that the Lakers are going to repeat, give up and abandon all hope and the Spurs quietly carry on and then the next thing is Kobe and Fisher in tears.
Not sure

We were deeper than the Lakers in 2003

And younger

And Shaq was overweight

And after a 3 peat, the motivation is not really there

sananspursfan21
11-18-2010, 11:16 AM
And Shaq was overweight

he's still overweight......... just on another team

easjer
11-18-2010, 11:20 AM
2005 was a pretty amazing year. Those back to back games that were triple overtime wins? That defense was killer.

Best playoff run of their championships, imo. Beating the Suns at their own game? Duncan injuring the other ankle and getting up and nailing those shots? That amazing Finals series?

Tough to beat that. But like I said last night, this is the most entertained and engaged I've been by a Spurs team in awhile. Love to see it continue - with the necessary improvements to defense and playing through full quarters and halves.

TDMVPDPOY
11-18-2010, 11:31 AM
2005 team is the ROE from 2003 phase, every piece was perfect and all players were in their prime at what they do for the team

Mark in Austin
11-18-2010, 11:32 AM
I think what this team has in common with '03 is that they are both teams that were still feeling out their team identity, and had the biggest gap between current level of play and potential level of play. Both teams have had flashes of brilliance but also slip ups. And it was easy to like both teams. They play hard. They don't give up. When the defense clicks, it's awesome. When the offence clicks, it's overwhelming and unpredictable. It's still early and anything can happen, but I like what I've seen so far. :tu

kaji157
11-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Not sure, but the media still has not noticed.
I think this finally ends the dilema about the media over hyping teams for their own benefits or not.
The Spurs have no marketable players as of now, Ginobili, Duncan and Parker are not marketable compared to the likes of Kobe, LeBron, even Nash.
Conclusion, when we were a good defensive team, we were boring, but now the Celtics, on the same premise, are a tought playoff basketball team.
When we played an inside out game we just were bread and butter, LA lakers are "the best".
Run and Gun Suns, fast peace, Spurs, "same old boring Spurs". This is the one that i find most amazing, not for the boring part, bt for the "same", there couldnīt be more differences between this team and 2007. Really.
Not to say that our Big3 was the first and the one that win more and is one of the least named out there.
Hope we kick Miami and Bostonīs asses soon.

8FOR!3
11-18-2010, 12:18 PM
I've got to point out that this year's depth is better than people are giving it credit for.

I'll take Tim Duncan, Tiago Splitter, DeJuan Blair, Antonio McDyess, and Matt Bonner over Pau Gasol (at this stage won't do any better than cancel out with Duncan,) Andrew Bynum (won't stay healthy the whole season when he gets back,) Lamar Odom (he's a guy I'd want on my team, but McDyess can make just as big an impact at times,) Theo Ratliff or Erick Dampier (they are both liabilities at this stage of their career. Neither one of them have anything left in the tank,) and Derrick Caracter (he's a rook and isn't going to have anything close to the production we will with Blair. Not to mention that Bonner's got the biggest outside threat on either team. He's a better shooter than Odom. Our bigs gel together better and go deeper. Matt Bonner and Antonio McDyess are helpful to the team.

Once we have a healthy James Anderson we should be better at the SF position. Ron Artest isn't any better than Richard Jefferson if RJ keeps it up (which it looks like through 10 games he hasn't played one bad one regardless of how he's shot the ball) and I'll take JA over Matt Barnes any day. If any self destructing happens on that team it'll be on Barnes' behalf. The quickness on offense and defensive ability that Tony Parker and George Hill bring will make Fisher and Blake look like a joke. I can't believe the hype Blake's getting around here. He can hit the outside shot, he's a tough defender, yadayadayada, he's slow, he's not hitting threes on Hill. Kobe and Manu will if anything cancel out and I'll go ahead and say that Gary Neal plays a better role on his team than Shannon Brown.

With two legit 7 footers on our team the biggest difference will be at the point guard position and we'll exploit it. We match up well everywhere else and have deep depth on the bench. Dice, Bonner, Splitter, Anderson, Neal, and Hill are all worthy of getting rotational minutes. That's an 11 deep bench when Anderson's back.

Keep in mind Blair will have fun on the boards against these guys especially if he gets to start. Lakers aren't getting their rebounds right now.

TDMVPDPOY
11-18-2010, 12:23 PM
I think what this team has in common with '03 is that they are both teams that were still feeling out their team identity, and had the biggest gap between current level of play and potential level of play. Both teams have had flashes of brilliance but also slip ups. And it was easy to like both teams. They play hard. They don't give up. When the defense clicks, it's awesome. When the offence clicks, it's overwhelming and unpredictable. It's still early and anything can happen, but I like what I've seen so far. :tu

03 rebuildling phase, pop planting the seeds on his vineyard

05 RETURN ON INVESTMENT FOR POP

Solid D
11-18-2010, 12:24 PM
The top 5 most fun Spurs teams for me to watch have been:

1. 1998-99 - Triple towers, brick-wall defense, Jaren Jackson head-wagging the Great Western Forum goodbye, Memorial Day miracle, 2 best defenses in modern era in the Finals (Spurs .402 vs. Knicks .403 Opp FG%), Tim Duncan, jersey-retiring shot, Elie catches game ball, Aussie gets a ring, FINALLY A CHAMPIONSHIP!

2. 1989-90 - going from 21 wins with players like Dallas Comegys, Shelton Jones, Alvin Robertson, David Greenwood and 3 Andersons to a team with the amazing David Robinson, Sean Elliott, Mo Cheeks/Rod Strickland and Terry Cummings added to Willie Anderson. 35 win differential year-over-year. Seeing David block a baseline shot and then beat everyone down the floor in less than 5 seconds for a flying jam was spectacularly entertaining. I've tried to watch every Spurs game, live or recorded, because of this team.

3. 2002-03 - Amazing 20-year old PG, Nets cast-off SG to starter with crazy turnovers but game-changing swagger, Rookie bench player from Argentina with a "big nose" for the ball and a uniquely magical flair, Mongolian beast in concrete sneakers, swan song for the twin towers and FIVE-O, Kerr-plow another 3, Malik over the finger-waver, most boring CHAMPIONSHIP to the press and non-Spurs fans... but exciting to a defense-loving fan like me. Before there was James White!....there was JIMMY CHANG!

4. 2006-07 - One of the better passing Spurs teams ever with the likes of Oberto, Duncan, Barry, Parker, Horry, Udrih and Ginobili. Not the best defensive team, by far, but still a +8.4 +/- Diff.. A team that struggled early but finished strong with 58 wins. Unreal Argintine 4th quarter in Game 4 in a 4-0 sweep of King James' Cavs. Finley gets his ring. Duncan's 4th and most satisfying CHAMPIONSHIP. Flags for skirts. Bruce deservedly gets in the photo with the Big 3.

5. 1982-83 Spurs - Stan Albeck's perm, yes Stan, the head coach later traded to the Nets for Fred Roberts, a draft pick and cash. Answer: "Shoot" - Question? "Whatever". 50%+ FG% and very entertaining to watch! After breaking up the Blues Brothers, Iceman plays well with others. Johnny Moore - assist machine, Iceman's finger rolls, Mitch's baseline swish, Gene Banks' physicality, Artis Gilmore's vice-grip, the steady, heady Mike Dunleavy, Edgar Helicopter Jones - the flying dunkman. Won the Midwest again, lost to Showtime Lakers in the Western Conference Finals again, but this time 2 games to 4.

Libri
11-18-2010, 02:55 PM
David Robinson's rookie season was fun to watch.

tim_duncan_fan
11-18-2010, 03:07 PM
I think what this team has in common with '03 is that they are both teams that were still feeling out their team identity, and had the biggest gap between current level of play and potential level of play.

This.

We are winning games and we're much better than last year already...but we suck.

AND I LOVE IT!

Anyone watching can tell that we have come nowhere close to maxing this team out.

It's so exciting!

Chomag
11-18-2010, 03:15 PM
1989-1990 Season has to have been my favorite to watch for me.
1999-2000 would be second
2002-2003 would be my third

duncan228
11-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Coach's Notebook: Spurs Setting Pace (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17942)
By: Anthony Macri
Hoopsworld

More like nine seconds or less

Coming into the season, few would have ranked the San Antonio Spurs amongst the league's top scoring teams. Yet, in stark contrast to years past, these Spurs are thriving in a highly efficient, fast, and quick-scoring offense. The really interesting element of their new offensive approach is the pace at which they are getting shots. Most of their shots are the result of secondary break options – screening actions both on and off ball that immediately follow their initial fastbreak action -- and usually within the first nine seconds of the shot clock. Their early offense actions reveal the Spurs are playing at this speed by design —similar to how Phoenix sought scoring opportunities a few years back (but not quite seven seconds or less). By using blur screens (where the screener is still moving as the ball-handler directs his defender into screener) and quick one-pass, pin-down actions, to complement dribble penetration and the occasional post up, the Spurs have completely altered their offensive philosophy to better suit the talents of Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, and Richard Jefferson. One of the marks of smart, forward-thinking coaching is to adjust your system to fit personnel, and Coach Gregg Popovich has accomplished this masterfully.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17942

baseline bum
11-18-2010, 07:42 PM
99 was by far the most fun team to watch because you knew the game was over as soon as the jump ball went up.

Doctor J
11-18-2010, 08:24 PM
5. 1982-83 Spurs - Stan Albeck's perm, yes Stan, the head coach later traded to the Nets for Fred Roberts, a draft pick and cash. Answer: "Shoot" - Question? "Whatever". 50%+ FG% and very entertaining to watch! After breaking up the Blues Brothers, Iceman plays well with others. Johnny Moore - assist machine, Iceman's finger rolls, Mitch's baseline swish, Gene Banks' physicality, Artis Gilmore's vice-grip, the steady, heady Mike Dunleavy, Edgar Helicopter Jones - the flying dunkman. Won the Midwest again, lost to Showtime Lakers in the Western Conference Finals again, but this time 2 games to 4.

Hey, thanks for this.

I really really liked this Spurs team back then. It was just soooo sad that they were no match for the Lakers.

UnWantedTheory
11-18-2010, 08:38 PM
03 & 05....but then again we brought the chip home, so that could be swaying my decision a bit.

UnWantedTheory
11-18-2010, 08:50 PM
I can say its the most I have been excited about the team in 3 years. Before our last chip we fans took the Spurs for granted,as we expected them to be in contention every year. For the last 3 years we have come to the realization that our time is coming to an end. Basically, this is the most excitment we have had for OUR Spurs in quite some time,because no matter what we said,we were afraid of not getting back to where we once were. It seems we have a damn good team on our hands that is extremely capable of scoring plenty of points. We need to keep growing and only time will tell what my answer will be to this question. Ask again at the end of the year. If we win, the answer will be a very definitive...YES!...IF......

Just MO.

bigdog
11-18-2010, 09:24 PM
I'd have to say the 03 team was my favorite to watch, but this year's team is fun to watch because of the tempo offensively. I just wish the defense was better.

TD 21
11-18-2010, 10:45 PM
You know, for all the hand wringing about the defense, the Spurs are currently ranked 7th in efficiency. If that holds, that would be their highest ranking in three seasons.

I'm not saying it's at the level it needs to be at to win a championship, but the way people go on and on about it, you'd think they're in the bottom half of the league.

By comparison's sake, the Lakers are currently 17th. Yes, this is without Bynum, but it's not like Splitter has played a ton.

FkLA
11-18-2010, 10:54 PM
99 was by far the most fun team to watch because you knew the game was over as soon as the jump ball went up.

This. What was it like a 6-8 start to the season? Ended the season 37-13 and went 15-2 in the playoffs.

Went 46-7 to end the season, amazing. Add to that the atmosphere at the dome when it got packed, those were some great days.

ShoogarBear
11-19-2010, 12:19 AM
http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/81354869.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5488E65C3AAD332E5ED 61DD1F0EB4721B7EE4E3A96E3970EE51http://www.life-fashion.com/wp-content/uploads/George-Gervin.jpghttp://www.remembertheaba.com/TributeMaterial/PlayerMaterial/LarryKenon/KenonCircle.jpg
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/93041566.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921CC759DF4EBAC47D0DBE01BB72FCDBE6C 90708A19E0D76D5083C9A3566E25D88Ehttp://www.nba.com/media/spurs/silas2_240_spurs.jpg

gospursgojas
11-19-2010, 12:27 AM
This. What was it like a 6-8 start to the season? Ended the season 37-13 and went 15-2 in the playoffs.

Went 46-7 to end the season, amazing. Add to that the atmosphere at the dome when it got packed, those were some great days.

My fav spur team...but 4-down 9 plays out of 10 wasnt exactly what I call exciting basketball

rascal
11-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Yes, the run and gun spurs of the 1970s were a more fun team to watch.

Obstructed_View
11-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Lot of people in here that didn't see David Robinson's career. Just about every team with Robinson was more fun to watch. I'm enjoying this team more than any in a long time, though.

easjer
11-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Lot of people in here that didn't see David Robinson's career. Just about every team with Robinson was more fun to watch. I'm enjoying this team more than any in a long time, though.

I saw it, I just didn't appreciate it much, because I was a teenage girl. There were far, far more important and interesting things than basketball. So I can't comment.

Definitely the ability to watch the games makes a difference. The 98-99 team was a great deal of fun, but I didn't see many of the games, because I was a freshman in college in Houston. So being able to actually see games is a factor, as you allude to with the mention of Robinson's career.

sananspursfan21
11-19-2010, 11:24 AM
I saw it, I just didn't appreciate it much, because I was a teenage girl. There were far, far more important and interesting things than basketball. So I can't comment.

Definitely the ability to watch the games makes a difference. The 98-99 team was a great deal of fun, but I didn't see many of the games, because I was a freshman in college in Houston. So being able to actually see games is a factor, as you allude to with the mention of Robinson's career.

same here, i was 5 or 6. drob was my favorite but i basically just caught the highlights. i didn't have cable either. i was able to appreciate the last couple years. family got satelite and i watched what i could. he's still my 2nd fav all time

dbestpro
11-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Yes, the run and gun spurs of the 1970s were a more fun team to watch.

This.......I also enjoyed the physical play of the Bruise Brothers in the late 70s early 80s.