PDA

View Full Version : Jim Rome

Big Pimp_21
05-24-2005, 03:54 PM
I was just watching Rome is Burning and they were talking about the turnover rate for NBA coaches. They were saying that OBrien's hard nosed, in your face, my way or the highway style of coaching doesn't work in the NBA. Then they went on to name the league's successful coaches as Phil Jackson, Stan Van Gundy and Larry Brown. Is it just me or does Pop get no respect for what he's done? He seems about as hard-nosed and disciplined as you can get AND he's no doubt one of the best coaches if not the best coach in the NBA. Who else has the nuts to bench an all-star? Who has his team so under control that that All-star is willing to come off the bench? You think Rasheed, Kobe, Shaq would come off the bench to help the team? God knows Iverson wouldn't do it. Anyway, thats the end of my rant. I just think Pop needs more respect.

FromWayDowntown
05-24-2005, 03:55 PM
Pop and Jerry Sloan both might have something to say about that take.

Jimcs50
05-24-2005, 03:57 PM
NJ's coach Frank is the elder statesman in the Atlantic division with 122 games coached. UNBEAVABLE! :wow

drpill
05-24-2005, 03:57 PM
The fact that Pop's name wasn't mentioned shreds any credibility the speaker might have claimed to have.

kskonn
05-24-2005, 04:09 PM
Yea that is horrible. I can't believe anyone could say that a authoritatian style of coaching doesn't work in the NBA . That is probably why they did not mention Pop because it would totally negate the speakers statement.

DDS4
05-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Getting the type of players with the character and willingness to play under Pop's system has something to do with it.

slayermin
05-24-2005, 04:19 PM
Rome only gives props to people that drop into the jungle. If guys don't come in, they are subject to his ridicule and absolutely no run on his show.

CrazyOne
05-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Rome knows basketball.... NOT!!!

SWC Bonfire
05-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Rome doesn't let a little thing like a truthful statement get in the way of a good argument. He consulted ol' Rush on that one. But ask Carmelo Anthony about Brown and if he thinks he was mellow at the olympics.

In a general sense, he is probably more right than wrong. Spurs are the exception rather than the norm. Spurs are also exceptional. A pattern develops.

Clandestino
05-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Rome knows basketball.... NOT!!!

yeah, rome is a baseball nut and knows little about else. the people who write in crack me up though

MaNuMaNiAc
05-24-2005, 04:36 PM
I was just watching Rome is Burning and they were talking about the turnover rate for NBA coaches. They were saying that OBrien's hard nosed, in your face, my way or the highway style of coaching doesn't work in the NBA. Then they went on to name the league's successful coaches as Phil Jackson, Stan Van Gundy and Larry Brown. Is it just me or does Pop get no respect for what he's done? He seems about as hard-nosed and disciplined as you can get AND he's no doubt one of the best coaches if not the best coach in the NBA. Who else has the nuts to bench an all-star? Who has his team so under control that that All-star is willing to come off the bench? You think Rasheed, Kobe, Shaq would come off the bench to help the team? God knows Iverson wouldn't do it. Anyway, thats the end of my rant. I just think Pop needs more respect.
You really think Pop had to make Manu do that?? Pop didn't need balls to put Manu on the bench 'cause Manu doesn't complain about shit like that. I'd like to see Pop try and put someone like Kobe or Iverson on the bench, he'd probably wouldn't be able to do it, because you would need the support of the franchise behind you to outway the superstar's desires.

nkdlunch
05-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Rome - Yet another reason why ESPN sucks

Extra Stout
05-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Jim Rome was yesterday's news like ten years ago. Dude probably drives a minivan now.

SpursChampsIII
05-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Homey Romey is a bandwagon Laker fan. He's off the bandwagon right now for obvious reasons. In fact, his track record for homerism is intact: Angels and Dodgers (talked negative about them until they had success); used to call USC a junior high, now he spits all over everybody talking about them.

tlongII
05-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Rome is cool. He doesn't pull in big ratings for nothing.

Mark in Austin
05-24-2005, 05:48 PM
There a differnece between being an authoritarian asshole (which is what O'Brien has been rumored to be) and an authoritarian who respects his players, is straight with them, and treats everybody the same way, like Pop.

Some authoritarian coached are successful, some are not. Same way some laid back coaches are successful, and some aren't.

sickdsm
05-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Getting the type of players with the character and willingness to play under Pop's system has something to do with it.

Absolutly.

Signed,

Glenn Robinson

Chris
05-24-2005, 07:28 PM
I'd like to see Pop try and put someone like Kobe or Iverson on the bench, he'd probably wouldn't be able to do it, because you would need the support of the franchise behind you to outway the superstar's desires.

Spurs + A.I. = Dynasty

GrandeDavid
05-24-2005, 07:30 PM
That's a really lame slight by Jim Rome. And you know its an intentional overlook. I'm surprised he dissed Pop like that being that he loves riding Bowen's nuts.

cqsallie
05-24-2005, 10:09 PM
I used to listen to Rome, but stopped when I realized what a baseball chauvinist he is. I started listening to him again this past week and nothing has changed...