PDA

View Full Version : The NBA’s Top 10 Backcourts

duncan228
11-18-2010, 01:47 PM
The NBA’s Top 10 Backcourts (http://dimemag.com/2010/11/the-nbas-top-10-backcourts/)
By Austin Burton
Dime

While you were scrutinizing the Heat, fawning over the Lakers, begrudgingly respecting the Celtics and jumping on the Hornets bandwagon, the Spurs snuck into the “Best Team in the NBA” conversation like the hooded dude from Assassin’s Creed.

Last night’s come-from-behind win over the Bulls on national TV, their eight W in a row, improved the Spurs’ record to 9-1. It was also the fourth time in the last six games where Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili scored at least 20 points apiece as a starting backcourt.

While Tim Duncan is still the Spurs’ coach on the floor and still a go-to guy in crunch time, Parker (18.6 ppg, 7.6 apg) and Ginobili (21.2 ppg, 4.4 apg) have been the team’s co-MVP’s this season. Previously written off as aging and disintegrating following an unprecedented first-round playoff exit in 2009 and a surprising four-game sweep at the hands of the Phoenix Suns in the 2010 conference semis, Parker and Ginobili look better than ever, and are the best backcourt in the NBA right now. The Top 10…

1. TONY PARKER & MANU GINOBILI, Spurs — They’ve won three NBA championships together, and this year are carrying the offensive load for the best-executing offense in the League while Duncan has his minutes managed. They’re both proven crunch-time performers, and individually, TP and Manu are among the best players in the NBA at getting to the rim and finishing.

The rest of the list, hit the link for the write-ups.

2. RAJON RONDO & RAY ALLEN, Celtics
3. ANDRE MILLER & BRANDON ROY, Trail Blazers
4. STEPHEN CURRY & MONTA ELLIS, Warriors
5. DEREK FISHER & KOBE BRYANT, Lakers
6. STEVE NASH & JASON RICHARDSON, Suns
7. RUSSELL WESTBROOK & THABO SEFOLOSHA, Thunder
8. CHRIS PAUL & MARCO BELINELLI, Hornets
9. JAMEER NELSON & VINCE CARTER, Magic
10. MIKE BIBBY & JOE JOHNSON, Hawks

Honorable mention — Carlos Arroyo/Dwyane Wade (Heat), Brandon Jennings/John Salmons (Bucks), Aaron Brooks/Kevin Martin (Rockets), John Wall/Gilbert Arenas (Wizards), Jason Kidd/Caron Butler (Mavericks).

http://dimemag.com/2010/11/the-nbas-top-10-backcourts/

ElNono
11-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Nash/Richardson should be at least 3, IMO.
I would also place Curry/Ellis over Miller/Roy.

jeebus
11-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Carlos Arroyo/Dwyane Wade (Heat)

:lol:lol:lol

Mel_13
11-18-2010, 02:44 PM
I can't think of a better backcourt in NBA history.

Frazier/Monroe

MaNu4Tres
11-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Cueing TD21.... :lol

gospursgojas
11-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Have Wall and Arenas even played together yet?

Now they're just throwing popular names together

ajballer4
11-18-2010, 03:41 PM
I would definitely put Brooks and Martin on the list over some of the other guys

dunkman
11-18-2010, 03:46 PM

Isaiah / Dumars

kace
11-18-2010, 04:30 PM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/363326-the-nbas-best-backcourt-duo-in-2010#page/1

from this article, Frazier/Monroe, Thomas/Dumars, Sharman/Cousy, West/Goodrich

ranking of the 30 NBA backcourt this season, with TP/manu at n°1

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/428153-nba-power-rankings-best-backcourts-in-the-nba#page/2

Solid D
11-18-2010, 04:41 PM

Besides Frazier and Earl the Pearl and Zeke and Joe D, I would submit:
West and Goodrich

Sam Jones and KC Jones (not because of scoring, just a great backcourt at both ends)

Oscar Robertson with John McGlocklin bombing away in 1970-71 was also one of the best winning backcourts I ever witnessed.

I'm surprised Phila_Chamberlain didn't mention Cheeks and Toney. That 1982-83 team only lost 1 playoff game. That backcourt was incredible, especially when Dr. J swung to the 2-guard on certain occasions.

Then there is the concept of anyone paired with Magic (i.e. Byron Scott) and Jordan (i.e. Paxson, Armstrong, Kerr, etc.) automatically made that backcourt one of the greatest.

jestersmash
11-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, when healthy, are the league’s best combination of point guard and shooting guard no questions asked. Former NBA champions and multiple all-star selected players, the duo can play at an extremely high level.

Coming off the bench is George Hill, who has shown he will be an all-star player very early in his career. His productivity, shooting, ball-handling, defense, speed, and basketball IQ is very impressive for a young player. He will only continue to grow and someday become the next Tony Parker for the Spurs.

Another formidable acquisition for the Spurs was sharpshooter James Anderson. Anderson will need to mature as a player before he reaches his potential. But what better way to mature than next to former NBA champions and all-stars?

Although not the dynasty they once were, they are still a very good team which success will depend on this formidable backcourt.

http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/wat.jpg

Cry Havoc
11-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Isaiah / Dumars

Uh, I'd take a healthy Parker/Manu over those two ANY day.

Manu is one of the most effective players in NBA history in terms of efficiency when he's on the court. Parker is one of the best penetrating guards of all time.

That said, I would probably take BJ Armstrong and Michael Jordan over any other backcourt in history.

dunkman
11-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Uh, I'd take a healthy Parker/Manu over those two ANY day.

Manu is one of the most effective players in NBA history in terms of efficiency when he's on the court. Parker is one of the best penetrating guards of all time.

That said, I would probably take BJ Armstrong and Michael Jordan over any other backcourt in history.

I saw them play, they were much better.

Chieflion
11-18-2010, 08:07 PM
MJ and Magic were great in their own way, but their other guard next to them weren't even All-Stars. Tony in 07-08 was the best point guard in the league, Manu for years has been one of the most productive players and a top 3 off-guard. And I honestly think if their of them were the best player on a .500 team they would compete for scoring titles.

You don't want BRHornet45 to come in here and give you the goods.

ALVAREZ6
11-18-2010, 10:33 PM
:tu

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-18-2010, 10:39 PM
About time someone in the media recognised this. Manu and TP have been one of the 3 best backcourts in the NBA for most of the last 5 years (injuries aside).

Manufan909
11-19-2010, 01:23 AM
Depends how they do this
If Jordan is 100 and BJ was 65
and if Manu is 85 and Parker is 85

Than Spurs > Bulls

If they simply did 100 > 85, that would be a different list.

What do the numbers stand for?

NASpurs
11-19-2010, 01:25 AM

I'm guessing he's using NBA 2k ratings for individual players.

jestersmash
11-19-2010, 01:27 AM

It's just an opinion. If Jordan sets the standard by representing "100%", then Ginobili is "85%" of the player Jordan was.

The numbers don't actually matter. His point was that Jordan in his prime was clearly better than either Ginobili or Parker, but both Ginobili and Parker are better than BJ; thus, he's arguing that collectively Ginobili/Parker are better than Jordan/BJ.

Individually, of course, no one guard can touch Jordan.

ezau
11-19-2010, 02:20 AM
It's just an opinion. If Jordan sets the standard by representing "100%", then Ginobili is "85%" of the player Jordan was.

The numbers don't actually matter. His point was that Jordan in his prime was clearly better than either Ginobili or Parker, but both Ginobili and Parker are better than BJ; thus, he's arguing that collectively Ginobili/Parker are better than Jordan/BJ.

Individually, of course, no one guard can touch Jordan.

How do you think would a prime Bowen fared against a prime Jordan?

ALVAREZ6
11-19-2010, 02:55 AM
I'm guessing he's using NBA 2k ratings for individual players.

Incorrect guess. I play the 2K series.

Cessation
11-19-2010, 03:22 AM
jordan with armstrong or harper = 6 championships, no doubt better than ginobli/parker, with 3 championships, jordan would also torch bowen

romain.star
11-19-2010, 08:27 AM
other than the Spurs backcourt, i'm really not impressed by the rest of the league backcourt tandems

eric365
11-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Aaron Brooks/Kevin Martin should be in the Top 10. Maybe even the Top 5.

Solid D
11-19-2010, 05:32 PM
No other backcourt in history has 3 championships, a gold medal, a euroleague title and a finals MVP between them. No other backcourt has been as deadly and together as long as Manu and Tony have and will be. No other backcourt has had the ability for either of their guards to go off for huge scoring nights or huge assists nights. Manu should have won a finals MVP in 2005, Tony did win one in 2007. Tony is one of few players that have ever averaged 18 points, 5 assists and shot over 50% from the field while also being in the top 5 players in points scored in the paint. And no other backcourt had the combined passion of Tony and Manu.

MJ and Magic were great in their own way, but their other guard next to them weren't even All-Stars. Tony in 07-08 was the best point guard in the league, Manu for years has been one of the most productive players and a top 3 off-guard. And I honestly think if their of them were the best player on a .500 team they would compete for scoring titles.

When given that set of criteria, you make a compelling argument.

Seventyniner
11-19-2010, 05:47 PM
No other backcourt in history has 3 championships, a gold medal, a euroleague title and a finals MVP between them. No other backcourt has been as deadly and together as long as Manu and Tony have and will be. No other backcourt has had the ability for either of their guards to go off for huge scoring nights or huge assists nights. Manu should have won a finals MVP in 2005, Tony did win one in 2007. Tony is one of few players that have ever averaged 18 points, 5 assists and shot over 50% from the field while also being in the top 5 players in points scored in the paint. And no other backcourt had the combined passion of Tony and Manu.

Your point seems to be that the 2nd best player in the Spurs' backcourt (not going to start an argument over which one it is; I think each of them are great and roughly equal to each other in a dynamic way) is better than the 2nd best player in any other backcourt in history. I think I'll buy that.

polandprzem
11-19-2010, 05:50 PM
can you buy that none of those were in the 1st all nba team?

Solid D
11-19-2010, 05:52 PM
can you buy that none of those were in the 1st all nba team?

I knew you'd chime-in. Nice.

Xylus
11-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Nash and JRich are easily top 3, maybe top 2.

UnWantedTheory
11-19-2010, 07:03 PM
How do you think would a prime Bowen fared against a prime Jordan?
Just about the same as everyone else who guarded Jordan. Bowen just wouldnt have been intimidated.