PDA

View Full Version : Astros are for sale

Iceman101
11-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Major League Baseball sources told FOX 26 Sports Houston Astros owner Drayton McLane, Jr. has retained Allen & Co.,an investment-banking firm in New York City, to help him sell his franchise.

MLB sources told FOX 26 Allen & Co. will attempt to sell the Astros franchise for $800 million.

McLane has owned the Astros since 1992.

He has been the most successful owner in the history of the franchise and one of the most successful owners to ever grace the professional sports scene in Houston.

From 1993 to 2010 the Astros own the fourth-best record in the National League.

The Astros reached the postseason in six of the past 14 seasons which includes National League Central Division titles in 1997, 1998, 1999 and 2001.

The franchise won Wild Card berths in 2004 and 2005.

In 2005 the Astros won the National League championship and earned its first trip to the World Series.

From 1993 to 2009 only the New York Yankees, Atlanta Braves, Boston Red Sox and St. Louis Cardinals made the playoffs more than the Astros.

Prior to McLane buying the franchise in1992 the Astros made the postseason only three times in the first 31 years (1962-1992) of the franchise.

Included in his financial committment to the team during his tenure as owner, McLane made sure former Astros stars Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio played their entire careers in a Houston uniform.

McLane's success with the Astros includes his vision and efforts toward the construction of Minute Maid Park, moving his franchise there from the Astrodome in 2000.

The Astros home has proven to be one of Major League Baseball's finest parks.

And even with the eventual sale of his franchise on the horizon, McLane decided last month to spend as much as $12 million for the first major renovations to Minute Maid Park.

The project includes the addition of the second largest HD video board in Major League Baseball.

McLane has not been available for comment.

A key figure in Allen & Co. is Steve Greenberg, son of Hall of Famer Hank Greenberg.

In a May 25, 2010 article Fortune Magazine labels Greenberg "King of the Sports Deal."

According to Fortune, among Greenberg's many sports deals, he counseled Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig and his family during their sale of the Milwaukee Brewers.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/mlb/101118-astros-officially-for-sale

Wishful thinking: Mark Cuban

Iceman101
11-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Even though he makes really dumb decisions now, gotta credit him for the success he had with the franchise, and making sure these guys retired as Astros

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2007/06/14/urc5eA7T.jpg

Dr. Gonzo
11-18-2010, 11:05 PM
I have to give it to Drayton for having such a successful run for so long but it just sucks what he has done since 2005. Ed Wade better be the first to go if/when this club is sold.

yavozerb
11-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Astros fans, what about Cuban as a possible owner? The guy will put every resource in to the team and of course you would have to put up with all his personal baggage as well.

Iceman101
11-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Astros fans, what about Cuban as a possible owner? The guy will put every resource in to the team and of course you would have to put up with all his personal baggage as well.

I would love for it to happen, but someone from sportsradio 610 in Houston said that they "allegedly" texted Cuban to gauge his interest, and that he didn't have any interest because he wants a team in a big market

Dr. Gonzo
11-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Houston isn't a big market? I feel stupid now. Here I was thinking that the 4th largest city in the US is a big market.

panic giraffe
11-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Houston isn't a big market? I feel stupid now. Here I was thinking that the 4th largest city in the US is a big market.

yet he wanted the cubs who split a 9 mil msa with another team?
and the rangers who play in a msa that is only 1 mil bigger than houston?
i don't buy it either.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Maybe he meant a big baseball market (if not his hometown team)?

GuerillaBlack
11-21-2010, 02:25 AM
yet he wanted the cubs who split a 9 mil msa with another team?
and the rangers who play in a msa that is only 1 mil bigger than houston?
i don't buy it either.

Actually, DFW is only about 500K less than Houston, and he wanted to buy the Rangers. A team that until this past November, was not an important part to DFW sports history as the Astros are to Houston. Basically, the Astros are more popular in Houston than the Rangers are in DFW.

panic giraffe
11-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Actually, DFW is only about 500K less than Houston, and he wanted to buy the Rangers. A team that until this past November, was not an important part to DFW sports history as the Astros are to Houston. Basically, the Astros are more popular in Houston than the Rangers are in DFW.

i was going by metro, not city proper.

i thought both cities equally could have cared less about those teams