PDA

View Full Version : Wanna Play Some X-Station? How About PlayBox?

phyzik
11-18-2010, 10:21 PM
http://www.gamespy.com/articles/113/1135490p1.html

Former PlayStation Exec: A Sony-Microsoft Partnership Could Be Inevitable

Developing a videogame platform is so expensive, one former Sony Computer Entertainment executive thinks a currently inconceivable partnership just might be inevitable: Microsoft and Sony could one day partner on an Xbox/PlayStation mega console.

In an interview with CVG, former SCE deputy president and SCEE president David Reeves admitted the future is wide open when it comes to videogames. But if companies continue to develop more and more advanced hardware, prohibitive costs could force Microsoft and Sony to join forces.

http://media.gamespy.com/columns/image/article/113/1135490/mssony_1290104319.jpeg

"When you're on the first-party side, you realize how really, really expensive it is to develop a platform," Reeves told CVG. "Whether it's PS3, or Xbox 360 or even Wii, they cost millions -- maybe not billions, but absolutely millions. You don't know when to put that stake in the ground of technology and move on. You know, say, 'That's enough.'"

"Eventually, it may just become so expensive to develop that Microsoft and Sony say, 'Okay, let's get together,'" he continued. "I'd say it's between 10 and 15 years away. That's how long I think it will take. I don't think it will be the next console cycle, but probably the next cycle after that, where you might have something platform-agnostic."

Reeves spent 15 years with Sony before becoming the COO of Capcom last year. He added that other big name gaming partnerships are also likely, such as Sony and Facebook or Microsoft and Google.

Cry Havoc
11-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Great. Less competition for gamers. Just what the industry needs.

eyeh8u
11-18-2010, 11:10 PM
i rather play

http://www.worldofmonopoly.co.uk/images/board300x300.jpg

MannyIsGod
11-18-2010, 11:25 PM
Great. Less competition for gamers. Just what the industry needs.

There's really no competition between them right now. Both have the same basic shit. Its not like either is pushing the other to make some new cool shit.

NASpurs
11-18-2010, 11:26 PM
I would welcome this. I could count only a handful of games that I want to play exclusively on either system and most of the games nowadays are ported. The days of system sellers on each console seems to be dwindling generation by generation.

As for competition among hardware, the graphical jump from one generation to another are yielding diminishing returns. The PS3 and the 360 may have differences but they're so similar in their output.

NASpurs
11-18-2010, 11:27 PM
There's really no competition between them right now. Both have the same basic shit. Its not like either is pushing the other to make some new cool shit.

That's so true and not only that, they're copying one another. Look at the Kinect and the PS Move. :sleep

leemajors
11-19-2010, 12:11 AM
That's so true and not only that, they're copying one another. Look at the Kinect and the PS Move. :sleep

They are both years late to Nintendo's gravy train, and many dollars short.

Trainwreck2100
11-19-2010, 04:47 AM
I would welcome this. I could count only a handful of games that I want to play exclusively on either system and most of the games nowadays are ported. The days of system sellers on each console seems to be dwindling generation by generation.

As for competition among hardware, the graphical jump from one generation to another are yielding diminishing returns. The PS3 and the 360 may have differences but they're so similar in their output.

Enjoy paying even more out the ass then before if you welcome it, no competition means they can charge whatever the fuck they want

NASpurs
11-19-2010, 05:36 AM
Enjoy paying even more out the ass then before if you welcome it, no competition means they can charge whatever the fuck they want

Where do you get there's no competition? There will be Nintendo. There will be computers. If Microsoft and Sony join up or leave the business, someone will always take their space just like what happened when Atari, Sega, Panasonic and numerous companies who left the business. I paid $600 for my PS3 when it came out and that's with competition.

Sony and Microsoft are filling the same niche this generation and neither has stood out above the other.

NASpurs
11-19-2010, 05:41 AM
Now that I think about it, I'm waiting for the day Apple makes a console or Apple and Nintendo join forces.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Now that I think about it, I'm waiting for the day Apple makes a console or Apple and Nintendo join forces.

Apple?? :lmao

Get ready to pay two or three times what you're paying for consoles now if that happens

TwAnKiEs
11-19-2010, 09:52 AM

Get ready to pay two or three times what you're paying for consoles now if that happens

Yeah.. I think they would call it the Apple Vacuum lol

NASpurs
11-19-2010, 09:56 AM

Not saying I want an Apple console but honestly it wouldn't surprise me one bit seeing how much power they have with the consumers. I don't know how I would feel with a subsidized console :lol

phyzik
11-19-2010, 10:09 AM
I think in a few years, dedicated consoles will be obsolete. Cloud gaming is going to be where its at. You wont need high-end expensive hardware to run the games, just basic hardware and a highspeed connection.

check out this tech demo of OnLive running on a iPad with games like Borderlands, Dragon age and Splinter Cell...

zpFzpF0msrU

hater
11-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Nintendo FTW