PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear

NASpurs
11-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Anyone else watch this show? I've been watching for 5+ years through the magic of the internet and even though it's gone down hill a bit by the obvious scripting, it's still the most entertaining show bar none imo.

Anyway the US version premiers this Sunday on the History Channel. Can't wait to see if it's going to be good or total shit.

phyzik
11-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Yeah, I cant wait.

NASpurs
11-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Here are some pics of the US version:

http://www.insideline.com/features/photos/top-gear-teaser-gallery.html

Review:

http://www.insideline.com/features/review-top-gear-usa.html

There have been plenty of rumors, speculation and Web chatter about the American version of Top Gear. Well, I can now lay them to rest. I've seen the first three episodes in their entirety. Not just clips or random segments. And with no PR spin. Yep, just sat down with some yogurt-covered pretzels and had my own personal Top Gear USA marathon. Here's what I took away from it.

There are two ways to look at the new American-based version of Top Gear that premieres on the History Channel November 21. First as an American car show and second as Top Gear.

Hosted by comedian Adam Ferrara, drift driver Tanner Foust and Speed Channel's designated NASCAR chortler Rutledge Wood, it's easily one of the best car programs ever to make it onto U.S. basic cable. It's beautifully shot and professionally edited, the content isn't beholden to whatever manufacturer that's paying for it, there's no segment where they pimp aftermarket parts, and it actually tries to be (and often succeeds at being) entertaining. This isn't Motorweek, Two Guys Garage or one of those Saturday afternoon ESPN2 time-slot fillers where they run B-roll video shot at car shows while the hyperventilating host reads press releases in voiceover. It's better. A lot better.

But it is called Top Gear (just Top Gear, not Top Gear USA or any other variation of the name), and that invites comparison with the Brit-built original. And in that heads-up battle, it's a pretty pale imitation that's burdened with unforced errors and, so far, missing the critical chemistry that makes the original such goofball perfection. I've only seen the first three episodes, so it may be that it gets better over time. Well, it needs to.
Most of the familiar Top Gear elements are present and accounted for in this new version. "A Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" becomes "Big Star, Small Car"; the stars still wander around a set built in an old hangar; and the show travels all over America to shoot segments. And, yes, there is an American version of "The Stig" around to flog every car around a track set up at what used to be the Marine Corps Air Station El Toro in Southern California. And as in the U.K. version, all those elements work OK.
What's missing from the American Top Gear is razor-sharp writing, the easygoing mutual ego slaughtering of the U.K. trio and some of the familiar music cues.

Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May are all excellent, insightful writers and true wits; they slalom around the car test clichés their American counterparts slam head on into. They're also veteran car testers who have experienced enough machinery to keep their enthusiasm holstered until it encounters a car truly deserving of it.

In contrast, the U.S. guys gush with enthusiasm over obvious things (like that the Viper (http://www.insideline.com/dodge/viper/2009/1994-dodge-viper-rt-10-meets-2009-dodge-viper-srt10.html) has a lot of torque), use terms like "driving on rails" and don't have the breadth of experience to critically assess cars like the Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera (http://www.insideline.com/lamborghini/gallardo/2011/2011-lamborghini-gallardo-lp570-4-superleggera-first-drive.html) with any depth. It's easy to be blown away by a Gallardo, but much tougher to put it in critical perspective against cars like the Ferrari 458 (http://www.insideline.com/ferrari/458-italia/2010/2010-ferrari-458-italia-first-drive.html) and Porsche 911 Turbo (http://www.insideline.com/porsche/911/2010/ultimate-911-turbo-red-meat-road-trip.html).

The lack of solid writing is most apparent in the stunts. Tanner Foust racing a Mitsubishi Evo (http://www.insideline.com/mitsubishi/lancer-evolution/2008/2008-mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-x-gsr-long-term-test.html) down ski slopes against stunt skiers is inspired stuff, but Foust himself never really says anything interesting. A segment on "moonshine runners" meanwhile is just dopey; the interplay between the hosts just isn't substantial enough to carry the bit.

In these early episodes, it's apparent that the U.S. trio is just getting to know one another. So don't expect the sort of high-level badmouthing that makes Clarkson, Hammond and May so hilarious. Having said that, however, what Ferrara, Foust and Wood have going is already light-years ahead of the forced, cloddish clowning that goes on with other U.S. car shows. Yeah, I mean you, Spike TV Powerblock. There may not be as many laughs in the U.S. version of Top Gear as the U.K. one, but some laughs are there. And the groan factor is low (but not at zero).

Some of the reason why the British guys can harangue each other on camera so much is that each of their episodes run about 60 minutes. The American version, which must accommodate commercials, only goes 44 minutes. Here's hoping that three American amigos get enough episodes to find their mutual harassment sweet spot and somehow find the time to express it.

The U.K. version of Top Gear uses music brilliantly from the opening riffs of Greg Allman's "Jessica" as the theme song through all the familiar tunes that underscore every taped segment. If there's any place where the budgetary restrictions put on the U.S. version is apparent, it's the music. The same generic version of "Jessica" is used as the theme, but after that most of the music is sort of indifferent and innocuous — the sort of stuff they didn't have to spend a lot of money paying licensing rights on. They do drop in a few familiar tunes now and then, but it's nothing compared to how the Brits use familiar themes.

Ultimately the U.S. version of Top Gear seems worthwhile. No, it won't make you forget or forego the British version. But there's no downside to having two Top Gears around to choose from. It's a good solid start for the series, even if it isn't yet a match for the original.

Mark in Austin
11-19-2010, 10:26 AM
What's missing from the American Top Gear is razor-sharp writing, the easygoing mutual ego slaughtering of the U.K. trio...

This is concerning - easily 85% of Top Gear's success is due to what is apparently missing in the US version. Still don't see why we can't get the Brit version in hi def. Does History Channel think it's viewers are so stupid they won't understand a Brit accent? Somehow 350,000,000 around the world manage just fine with it.

Slomo
11-19-2010, 10:33 AM

Anyway the US version premiers this Sunday on the History Channel. Can't wait to see if it's going to be good or total shit.

Won't work. Clarkson=Top Gear.

NASpurs
11-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Some stuff I stole from Fifthgear

Interview by the three US guys on FoxNews:

3OnP-n4ziBE

Trailers in case you haven't seen them:

42-N7-HyG8A

vezOfu7ayso

Cane
11-19-2010, 10:39 AM
I doubt it'll compare to the chemistry behind the BBC trio in Clarkson, Hammond, and May but the US version looks like it'll still be entertaining. Hopefully its good, imo its a shame that Adam Carolla isn't hosting since he could be like an American version of Jeremy Clarkson since they're both very opinionated assholes.

NASpurs
11-19-2010, 10:44 AM
This is concerning - easily 85% of Top Gear's success is due to what is apparently missing in the US version. Still don't see why we can't get the Brit version in hi def. Does History Channel think it's viewers are so stupid they won't understand a Brit accent? Somehow 350,000,000 around the world manage just fine with it.

I have BBCA HD and they show Top Gear.

I agree but even in the beginning, before the 2000s reboot, Top Gear was kind of hard to watch. No way in hell do I believe that this will be able to reach that status but I'll give it a shot just like I gave the original Top Gear a shot. But the chemistry between May, Clarkson and Hammond can't be duplicated and these three US guys don't seem to have it. Maybe they'll have to switch some guys around to find a match just like they did with the BBC Top Gear when that fat guy, Clarkson and May were there until that fat guy got canned for Hammond.

Slomo
11-19-2010, 10:58 AM
... its a shame that Adam Carolla isn't hosting since he could be like an American version of Jeremy Clarkson since they're both very opinionated assholes.

That's the job description right there (OK a certain knowledge of cars is also necessary).

... May, Clarkson and Hammond can't be duplicated and these three US guys don't seem to have it. Maybe they'll have to switch some guys around to find a match just like they did with the BBC Top Gear when that fat guy, Clarkson and May were there until that fat guy got canned for Hammond.

This show might be a very good show, but I believe that Clarkson is unique in his little microcosm and therefore Top Gear is unique.

Have you read any of his books? They're not as entertaining as I thought they would be, but they're a good window into the man's egocentric view of the world and still a good read.

NASpurs
11-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Sorry meant to say the fat guy got canned for May not Hammond.

silverblk mystix
11-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Bottom line-we will still have TWO top gear shows to choose from. :toast

NASpurs
11-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Have you read any of his books? They're not as entertaining as I thought they would be, but they're a good window into the man's egocentric view of the world and still a good read.

I'll give his books a shot. I find his ego centrism hilarious.

NASpurs
11-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Bottom line-we will still have TWO top gear shows to choose from. :toast

Well truthfully, we have four Top Gears to choose from :lol

The Australians and the Russians have their own version. Personally I haven't seen them but once again, thanks to the internet, they're easily available more so the Australian version.

CuckingFunt
11-19-2010, 01:30 PM
7e7R3y-qwZ0

Epic.

silverblk mystix
11-19-2010, 01:44 PM
7e7R3y-qwZ0

Epic.

:lol

Pretty good. It even surpassed my other fave review from them when they announced that the producers had issued a directive-that there would be not as many shows with exotic car after exotic car-and instead would be required to feature more cars for the masses.

So they started with a Nissan cube..or Scion Xb-I can't remember- and started talking about interior space and passenger capacity,etc...

then they brought out a car to compare it to...

and it was a 2 seat exotic car costing hundreds of thousands and the Cube proceeded to win every category for space, gas mileage,etc...

while they blasted around the track in the exotic. :lol

NASpurs
11-19-2010, 06:52 PM
I kept laughing my ass on this one.

u_9UO8wa-1c

Shelly
11-19-2010, 08:33 PM

I agree--I've seen Top Australia and it's just not the same

Shelly
11-19-2010, 08:35 PM

u_9UO8wa-1c

That one was so funny!

eyeh8u
11-19-2010, 11:55 PM
I doubt it'll compare to the chemistry behind the BBC trio in Clarkson, Hammond, and May but the US version looks like it'll still be entertaining. Hopefully its good, imo its a shame that Adam Carolla isn't hosting since he could be like an American version of Jeremy Clarkson since they're both very opinionated assholes.

if carolla was hosting he might go into on of his rants about mexicans, or children animation, or how charles manson get chicks

i love how the dude brags about not having a routine, he is just so funny off the cuff, yet i have personally heard him rant about how shitty children's animation is 15 times within the first year of his podcast, now im solely a daves of thunder man

Mark in Austin
11-20-2010, 11:40 AM

u_9UO8wa-1c

WTF? Why didn't the Stig test it around their track? :lol

DMX7
11-20-2010, 01:10 PM
It's on BBC America. I've seen every episode for like the last 6 years.

leemajors
11-20-2010, 01:25 PM
I don't see why anyone would want to watch the US one when the BBC one is still on. Just an exercise in futility. I'm not even a car person but I love that show.

TDMVPDPOY
11-20-2010, 03:05 PM
I don't see why anyone would want to watch the US one when the BBC one is still on. Just an exercise in futility. I'm not even a car person but I love that show.

BBC version triumphs all with higher budget and cars to test on

aus version was a shithole with low budget and shitty cars, wtf gives a shit about cars from the 70s-80s...

DMX7
11-20-2010, 05:27 PM
The BBC version is driven by the chemistry of the three hosts. You can't recreate that faithfully.

fraga
11-21-2010, 10:58 PM
I thought the new US version was pretty good...for what it was...

NASpurs
11-21-2010, 11:08 PM
I liked the US version a lot! I liked that they kept the original music from the BBC version. The production values are almost on par with the BBC version. It seems like these guys are going to shell out big bucks to make good shows so that part makes me happy. During the Dodge Viper sequence, I thought "Oh great, American cars ftl" but then I nearly creamed my pants when the three Lamborghinis made an appearance towards the latter part of the show. Now that I think about it, American cars aren't a bad thing at all because the BBC version of the show doesn't really represent them at all for obvious reasons but I do enjoy crazy European cars so having them on both shows is freaking great for me.

Bad things are obvious the chemistry with the new guys. Their personalities aren't bad at all but the interaction between the three is ehhh. The guy with the mole (sorry don't know his name) seems to be the funniest of the three. He made me laugh a few times like when presenting the Suzuki car and said it had "front wheel acceptability". Him saying the line of "being aroused at gunpoint" cracked me up as well when he put his Lamborghini on thrust mode and said "fuck" like four times in a row because of the speed. His hands were shaking at going 180 mph. Imagine him going 260 + in a Bugatti Veyron. The dude would die.

Anyway I like this show for what it is and I will continue to watch and enjoy the BBC version as well. It will never be like the original but it seems to be a great fix for when the BBC version is on a break.

JoeChalupa
11-22-2010, 03:33 PM
I was surprised they weren't wearing helmets.

Slomo
11-24-2010, 08:53 AM
DMuO-8S_0Wg

Mark in Austin
12-20-2010, 08:35 PM
DMuO-8S_0Wg

I can't believe I missed this when you originally posted it. :lol

The American Top Gear is already the best car show in the states, and I enjoy it as long as I don't compare it to the original.

4>0rings
12-20-2010, 08:48 PM
I can't believe I missed this when you originally posted it. :lol

The American Top Gear is already the best car show in the states, and I enjoy it as long as I don't compare it to the original.
That fat gay bearded viking needs to go though. He has no TV persona at all. I'am not too high on the 'drift' guy. Drifting... seriously? Leave that to the 18 year old Asians, it's not a sport although he is a great driver.

Since this is the US Top Gear, I think the Stig is a Nascar driver with experience in other forms of racing... kart/midgets/whatever

Mark in Austin
12-20-2010, 09:05 PM
but then again I watch something like this:

DaZExdTHHjY

and realize the US version could be a whole lot better.

braeden0613
12-21-2010, 01:38 AM
The US version is getting alot better. In the segments the hosts seem to have good chemistry and have some nice dialogue. However, in the studio it's still pretty awkward. Obviously the UK version is 100x better, but they have had 8 years to get it right.

braeden0613
12-21-2010, 01:40 AM
It's on BBC America. I've seen every episode for like the last 6 years.
If you are really interested, find the episodes online. BBC America cuts out at least 15 minutes/episode