PDA

View Full Version : Manu is playing 33mpg

benefactor
11-19-2010, 11:50 PM
35 tonight on the front end of a back to back. Anyone else a little worried besides me? Can he keep this up and still have something left in the tank for the playoffs?

Ditty
11-19-2010, 11:51 PM
KFU-wXsRhic

Kool Bob Love
11-19-2010, 11:51 PM
It's only NOVEMBER...

ducks
11-19-2010, 11:54 PM
suns anounncer said spurs wanted manu to play mor e minutes this year

I think it is SO stupid

but maybe they want him to play more minutes and just brick three pointers like he did tonight 1-7

mingus
11-19-2010, 11:56 PM
35 tonight on the front end of a back to back. Anyone else a little worried besides me? Can he keep this up and still have something left in the tank for the playoffs?

it's still early. if this keeps up thirty games in to the season, then i start getting worried.

carina_gino20
11-19-2010, 11:56 PM
Depends on how he spends those 33 minutes. But I'd be more comfortable if it were 25-27 mpg.

DesignatedT
11-19-2010, 11:57 PM
too many minutes.

mingus
11-19-2010, 11:58 PM
it's important that Splitter assert himself on the offensive end (it would help if Pop played him) so that both Manu and Tim don't have to play extended minutes. it also sucks that JA is out. both those things have something to do with it.

Ross Parrot
11-19-2010, 11:59 PM
If Pop can bring it down to 28-29 MPG, I'm okay with it. Gotta keep stretch Manu's prime to his retirement.

TwoHandJam
11-20-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm impressed with the health and energy he has. He is taking it to the rack and even dunking with authority more than usual. I do agree his minutes need to come down though. He will be worn out at this pace.

HarlemHeat37
11-20-2010, 12:38 AM
I'm always worried about it, but the Spurs look like they're trying to build as much chemistry as possible to start the season, which is a good move..I'm sure Manu's minutes will be monitored once Anderson returns, and once the Spurs build enough chemistry to be beating shitty teams without too much work from the best players on the team..

Also, Manu is shooting a lot more 3s than he usually does, taking 2+ more a game..he's also shooting less in the paint..it's definitely by design..so while he's playing, he isn't taking as much of a beating as he has in years past..

EricB
11-20-2010, 12:40 AM
While its a worthless point, had Anderson stayed healthy Ginobili would be down in the high 20s. That said, if they take care of business tomorrow I'd say Green and Neal will play as many minutes as him.

DesignatedT
11-20-2010, 12:43 AM
What Harlem said, It really looks like Pop is trying to build the team chemistry up to the max in the beginning of the year so we aren't struggling to find it late. Someone posted it the other day but it was something ridiculous like Pop used 8 different starting lineups in the first 10 games last season and he has used the same starting lineup all year so far this season. It seems like he wants to rest the guys more as the season goes along but let them build some cohesiveness first.

ElNono
Spurs just riding the gravy train early. Team is playing well and winning, don't wanna mess with that. Once you have a comfortable position in the standings it's a lot easier to sit guys down.

Chomag
Like EricB said, without Anderson and Green being new and not much more then a project at the moment I don't think Spurs have a choice with Manu's higher minutes right now. Hopefully Spurs can jump to a big early lead next game so that Manu's minutes wont be needed as much.

angelbelow
11-20-2010, 12:44 AM
While its a worthless point, had Anderson stayed healthy Ginobili would be down in the high 20s. That said, if they take care of business tomorrow I'd say Green and Neal will play as many minutes as him.

Agree with the Anderson part. Shame to see him go down.

Pauleta14
11-20-2010, 12:44 AM
It's what, 3 or 4 min more than his usual average?

It's not THAT much (look what the Boston guys used to/ are averaging...)

If it allows us to have the homecourt advantage, that's as much energy he will save for the PO! (not counting eventual games where he could sit because our record is "good enough")

Trill Clinton
11-20-2010, 12:45 AM
Spurs just riding the gravy train early. Team is playing well and winning, don't wanna mess with that. Once you have a comfortable position in the standings it's a lot easier to sit guys down.
:tu

rayray2k8
11-20-2010, 12:46 AM
With Anderson out it was a given.

EricB
11-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Like EricB said, without Anderson and Green being new and not much more then a project at the moment I don't think Spurs have a choice with Manu's higher minutes right now. Hopefully Spurs can jump to a big early lead next game so that Manu's minutes wont be needed as much.

That being said, had Neal hit more shots ala against Charlotte (maybe not 5-5 but you get my point) Pop may have ridden that horse a few more minutes but with Neal not making anything and the offense stalling, his hand was pretty much forced.

ChuckD
11-20-2010, 12:59 AM
George was playing SO poolry early that I think Pop had to play Manu. Maybe his minutes will come down now that George is playing well. We really only had Manu or Tony to run the offense.

BTW, last I heard, Phil was riding Kobe and his knee to the tune of 38 mpg. Fucking idiot.

Danny.Zhu
11-20-2010, 01:01 AM
That's a big concern for me too.

EricB
George was playing SO poolry early that I think Pop had to play Manu. Maybe his minutes will come down now that George is playing well. We really only had Manu or Tony to run the offense.

George taking manu's minutes depends on matchups and Hill's aggressiveness.

That being said, the Spurs are thin in the backcourt due to injuries and blowing the Cavs out early tomorrow would help get Manu some rest and get guys like Green Neal and others time.

jag
Also, Manu is shooting a lot more 3s than he usually does, taking 2+ more a game..he's also shooting less in the paint..it's definitely by design..so while he's playing, he isn't taking as much of a beating as he has in years past..

Ya, these aren't the same kind of minutes Manu is used to playing. Come playoff time i don't think it will make a big difference if he plays 29 mpg or 33mpg, as long as he continues playing the majority of his minutes on the perimeter.

DPG21920
11-20-2010, 01:03 AM
Well the thing that worries me, besides the minutes, are the SF minutes. Without a true back up SF now that Anderson is hurt, I hate the fact Manu is playing extended minutes and they are at the SF position often.

Blake
11-20-2010, 01:10 AM
not worried.

33 mpg is a good number imo.

hitmanyr2k
11-20-2010, 01:12 AM
I'm always worried about it, but the Spurs look like they're trying to build as much chemistry as possible to start the season, which is a good move..I'm sure Manu's minutes will be monitored once Anderson returns, and once the Spurs build enough chemistry to be beating shitty teams without too much work from the best players on the team..

Exactly. I think this year it's all about getting chemistry which is the right way to go instead of so many different scatter-brained lineups. These players need a rhythm and a comfort zone where they know what's expected of them every night. And furthermore these players need to stop getting babied so much when it comes to minutes. It's never worked in the past. That's why they're never in shape to log big minutes and get gassed when playoff time comes. You can't play 28 minutes all year long and then just suddenly be able to turn on the stamina and play 35+ minutes when the playoffs start. A player needs to be conditioned for that.

Ginobili has broken down in the past but I don't think it was from too many minutes played. It's because of his wreckless style of play and inviting contact on both ends with the hard drives on offense and taking charges on defense, etc. This year he's playing more minutes but his game has been fully controlled and more perimeter oriented so he's not taking a beating. He's more selective about going in the paint and using more floaters instead of seeking contact like he used to. I think more minutes and the style of play he's using right now will pay off in the end.

ShoogarBear
11-20-2010, 01:45 AM
too many minutes.

Which hopefully will be cut substantially when Anderson get back.

But Pop really should start cutting them now.

Sotongball21
11-20-2010, 01:53 AM
He's been taking more 3s this year. I think its ok.

JR3
11-20-2010, 02:01 AM
I'm not worried. Pop is great at managing minutes.. i trust it will balance out. The Spurs really want to start the season off well and they really have!

The Truth #6
11-20-2010, 02:06 AM
I'm not expecting Anderson back for a while. It would be great if Green can contribute anything...but that's a real long shot. If anyone should be playing big minutes it should be RJ. Play him 39 a night for a while. He's WAY more durable than Manu.

gospursgojas
11-20-2010, 02:06 AM
Manu is shooting jumpers 75% of the time. Im sure he's fine.

jesterbobman
11-20-2010, 02:17 AM
I think the fact that the 2/3 reserves are inexperienced(Neal, Anderson(OUT) are both first year in system, Green's had a few days and Hill doesn't have the size for SF. the depth of bigs means we're unlikely to play small ball though, it's just gonna take time Neal and Anderson settled in properly.

As others have said, not an issue yet, though not super comfortable. Overall it's 30 minutes or so more than what we thought he'd play so it's no out of control.

JWest596
11-20-2010, 03:37 AM
"I think all of us feel really good right now," Duncan said. "This is the best I've felt in a couple of years. Manu is playing great, Tony is playing awesome. Richard's acclimated to what we're doing and what we've asked him to do. And he's been playing great. Everybody's feeling good." -Tim Duncan

This fast start is building a winning chemistry, we are now three games ahead of Dallas. We aren't going 81-1 but teams are going to have to catch us rather than the reverse if we can continue. Our defense is getting better. Our offensive capabilities have been incredible and Tiago still isn't acclimated but he isn't being forced to either. Blair, Bonner, Neal are becoming our 'grinders.

We are performing well. Let Manu play. Pop will set him but he had the summer rest and keeping him leashed would have done what? If there's a lock out. This could be Tim's last year...It's a gamble but we need to play with all the cards showing.

:lobt2:

DAF86
11-20-2010, 05:56 AM
Playing more helps you improve your indurace, if you play 25 minutes all season long, you will get tired in the playoffs if you play 30 mins. Stop fucking caring too much about his "injury prone" reputation, he has played 15 years as a pro and has gotten seriously injured just once.

ceperez
11-20-2010, 07:14 AM
i am also a bit surprised at the minutes mcdyess is playing.

yes, he looks like a rejuvinated player... last year he looked really old... but still... i would expect horry like minutes.

manu is playing and too many shots... i would rather see rj be involved in more playes in the regular season.

Texas_Ranger
11-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Kobe is also old and he plays even more. And don't tell me that he only shoots jumper.
I don't care if Manu plays 40 or 20 minutes per game. He said he feel great and that's all I need to know.

Bruno
11-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Manu maybe played 33mpg but Spurs have played 11 games this season while 8 teams have played 13 games and 1 team has played 14 games. Manu plays more minutes than in the past but Spurs have had a light schedule.

Pop could put back Manu on the bench to reduce his minutes but I don't like it given how ell the team has played so far. What would be better is to start giving some minutes to Green. He could play hard on defense and sometimes hit an open jumper. He wouldn't really hurt nor help the team and play a Bogans-like role.

benefactor
11-20-2010, 08:58 AM
I know that he as to with Anderson out, but he can't keep it up all the way up until Anderson comes back fully. It could be March before that happens.

Two things can help solve this...First, Pop should do as Bruno said and try to give Green some minutes at SF to see what is there. If he can at least play hard defensively and play within the offensive system he can help limit Manu's minutes at that spot. Green at 7-10 minutes at SF could bump Manu back to 25-28 minutes. Second, Pop needs to stop assing around and get Splitter as much floor time as possible. Getting Splitter comfortable gives the Spurs another post threat and allows for one less playmaker on the perimeter to carry the scoring load.

mathbzh
11-20-2010, 09:52 AM
10-1 does not make me too worried.
With that great start we should have the possibility to rest our starters more when our schedule gets tough.

ohmwrecker
11-20-2010, 10:11 AM
I know that he as to with Anderson out, but he can't keep it up all the way up until Anderson comes back fully. It could be March before that happens.

It's more than just Anderson being out that's attributing to Manu's minutes. The bench is not solidified right now. If George Hill were playing better this really wouldn't be an issue. Hill's playing time is down by 5 minutes this season when his minutes should be up. If Hill was stepping up, Manu's minutes would be right where they should be.
I also agree that Pop is building chemistry with the starting unit. I'm not really concerned with Manu's minutes yet, but if Hill can't pull his head out of his ass, we should all be worried.

Mel_13
11-20-2010, 10:38 AM
It's more than just Anderson being out that's attributing to Manu's minutes. The bench is not solidified right now. If George Hill were playing better this really wouldn't be an issue. Hill's playing time is down by 5 minutes this season when his minutes should be up. If Hill was stepping up, Manu's minutes would be right where they should be.
I also agree that Pop is building chemistry with the starting unit. I'm not really concerned with Manu's minutes yet, but if Hill can't pull his head out of his ass, we should all be worried.

Hill's mpg are down slightly only because he is strictly a reserve this season. He started 43 games last season and averaged 34 mpg in those games. As a reserve last season he averaged 23.3 mpg. As a reserve this year he is averaging 24.5 mpg. The early season problem with George are his shooting percentages which are down from 48% overall and 40% on 3 pt shots to 40% and 30%.

As to Manu, Harlem brought up the amount of jumpers he is taking. Another poster who I can't recall, did an excellent job of comparing reserve minutes to starter minutes and the relative amount of wear and tear. Bottom line was that 33 minutes as a starter could be less taxing than 28 minutes as the primary bench scorer.

I'll add this. Last season Manu shared the court with Tony for only 35% of his minutes. So for 65% of Manu's minutes, he was the primary, if not only, playmaker for the Spurs. This season, Tony is on the court for 68% of Manu's minutes. So much for the notion that Manu and Tony couldn't share the court successfully. Both players are seeing tangible benefits, and reduced wear and tear, from sharing the court with another excellent playmaker.

One more thing. Manu's minutes haven't gone up since Anderson went out. He's just spending a greater percentage of his time playing the 3. The real beneficiary of Anderson's absence has been Neal who has received most of the minutes at the 2 that Manu has vacated. I'd like to see what Green has to offer, but any minutes he gets could just as easily come from Neal as from Manu.

DieHardSpursFan1537
11-20-2010, 10:44 AM
As long as the Spurs continue to go on a streak, it's fine by me that he plays that many minutes.

K-State Spur
11-20-2010, 10:44 AM
losing anderson certainly didn't help.

but - despite the terrific start - the team can't bank on limiting everyone's minutes and coasting into the playoffs with a fresh(er) squad. if the team only wins 48, the playoffs may not be there.

as has been discussed significantly coming in, Pop does not feel he can sacrifice regular season games for the greater good like they have in the past.

ohmwrecker
11-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Hill's mpg are down slightly only because he is strictly a reserve this season. He started 43 games last season and averaged 34 mpg in those games. As a reserve last season he averaged 23.3 mpg. As a reserve this year he is averaging 24.5 mpg. The early season problem with George are his shooting percentages which are down from 48% overall and 40% on 3 pt shots to 40% and 30%.

That's a good point, but you can't tell me that Hill's poor play this season is not a contributing factor in Manu playing more minutes. Hill should be taking Manu's place as sixth man this year. Manu played more minutes as a bench player than Hill is currently, and that is with Pop giving him more minutes than his production warrants at this point.
If Hill were playing up to his potential, there's no reason why he couldn't be playing close to 30 minutes and giving Manu and Tony more rest.

Mel_13
11-20-2010, 11:08 AM
That's a good point, but you can't tell me that Hill's poor play this season is not a contributing factor in Manu playing more minutes. Hill should be taking Manu's place as sixth man this year. Manu played more minutes as a bench player than Hill is currently, and that is with Pop giving him more minutes than his production warrants at this point.
If Hill were playing up to his potential, there's no reason why he couldn't be playing close to 30 minutes and giving Manu and Tony more rest.

Sure, if George was playing better, then game situations may allow the starters to stay on the bench a little longer. In light of the early season schedule, I'm just not that concerned about two healthy players averaging 33 or 34 mpg. It would be nice to take advantage of games against inferior opponents like the Cavs. A blowout tonight would set them up nicely for Monday's game with Orlando.

ohmwrecker
11-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Sure, if George was playing better, then game situations may allow the starters to stay on the bench a little longer. In light of the early season schedule, I'm just not that concerned about two healthy players averaging 33 or 34 mpg. It would be nice to take advantage of games against inferior opponents like the Cavs. A blowout tonight would set them up nicely for Monday's game with Orlando.

It would be a good time fore the bench and role players to really step up tonight. The Spurs will need the big three at full strength for the Magic. I'm not that concerned about Manu's minutes right now either. I believe his starter minutes are keeping him healthier than his minutes as a sixth man would.

kaji157
11-20-2010, 12:33 PM
I think 33 minutes is fine if he averages that, i remembeer that Manu said in an interview that he wanted to play between 33 and 35 minutes for the year so that he doesn´t feel a a big change come playoff time.

Mal
11-20-2010, 12:34 PM
In Pop I trust. He knows what he is doing.

Baseline
11-20-2010, 12:46 PM
BTW, last I heard, Phil was riding Kobe and his knee to the tune of 38 mpg. Fucking idiot.

Bryant has to get his numbers. I don't think Phil has much to do with that. In LA, the diva gets what the diva wants.

Obstructed_View
11-20-2010, 12:47 PM
10-1. Anyone that complains is a jerk. 10-1, I say!

ChuckD
11-20-2010, 12:51 PM
10-1. Anyone that complains is a jerk. 10-1, I say!

You'd be bitching if we were 5-6 and Pop was playing Splitter.

There's just no pleasing some people.

Obstructed_View
11-20-2010, 12:55 PM
You'd be bitching if we were 5-6 and Pop was playing Splitter.

There's just no pleasing some people.

It's a good thing you have fictitious scenarios to fall back on, or you'd have no argument at all.

10-1 WHOOOOOO

The Truth #6
11-20-2010, 01:12 PM
In some ways, the situation isn't so much that Manu should be playing less, but other players need to play better so Manu doesn't have to play as much for us to still win. Easier said then done, but that would be the ideal scenario.

In some ways, I'd say the same for Dice. If/once Blair can continue to dominate the boards and find ways to contribute with his garbage points, hopefully Dice can play less and Splitter can play more.

In the end, trying to figure out Pop's motivations is difficult.

10-1!!

BanditHiro
11-20-2010, 01:24 PM
its more of the injuries than him being tired at the end of season that have screwed us over.

Agloco
11-20-2010, 01:53 PM
its more of the injuries than him being tired at the end of season that have screwed us over.

This.

There's been no way to evaluate Manu's freshness at the end of the season because he hasn't been out there of late.

TD 21
11-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Jefferson and Hill in particular, should be playing slightly more, so that Ginobili can play slightly less.

It looks like the plan is to ride this out as long as possible, get a decent lead on all West teams not named Hornets and Lakers and then begin to scale back as the schedule get's more arduous.

Sure, it'd be nice if he were playing 30-31 mpg instead of 33, but I'd rather this team win now and worry about that later as opposed to over manage now, have a mediocre record and then have to push hard later on top of that. You know, basically what they've done the past two seasons.

LeCrab
11-22-2010, 10:34 PM
I hope he is not getting fatigued he is playing alot

DJ Mbenga
11-22-2010, 11:03 PM
kobe is also playing 33 min a game. as opposed to 39 last yr. scary stuff

ShoogarBear
11-22-2010, 11:18 PM
kobe is also playing 33 min a game. as opposed to 39 last yr. scary stuff

Indeed . . . Kobe with extra time on his hands is scary stuff.